Gaming Starfield | Metacritic (Series X): 83, OpenCritic: 86

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Im so happy im playing this on pc so i could use the cheat to set my max carry weight to 50000.

Kaos

Yeah I stopped playing this and went back for another BG3 run.

Sorry but the game is lifeless. Just a loading screen simulator with poor watered down RPG mechanics, no real sense of impactful choices and the customary poor Bethesda writing. I just don't know how they'd spend so long developing a space game without refining a core mechanic - space exploration. Even the dodgy unity asset flip indie games on Steam do a better job of planetary exploration than this.

Maybe I've been spoiled by BG3 and the immersive exploration in Star Citizen (yes its a glorified tech demo I know), but this was a massive let down. Should have known to trust my instincts on anything modern Bethesda and Todd Howard vomits out these days.

I'm glad there are some enjoying this, but I find myself still looking for something to properly scratch that space itch. Looks like I'll still have to desperately hope someone slaps some sense into Chris Roberts and they actually make Star Citizen playable within a decade :wenger:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
So I’m about 12 hours into this and I have to say that it’s pretty disappointing. My initial thoughts are as below:

Pros:
- The combat is easily the best from any Bethesda game and has shooting has a nice punch to it. Enjoying all the combat encounters thus far.
- The lip synching technology used is quite nice
- Soundtrack is strong and fits with the theme very well
- The attention to detail in the smaller spaces is good

The Cons:
- Barring combat, it’s the same old tired Bethesda formula that hasn’t evolved with the times. I mean it just has no personality whatsoever - it just doesnt excite me, induce fear, make me smile - I’m just essentially playing. It’s not bad of course, there’s a lot of aspects it does very competently but in the end there’s no magic at all.
- For example, as I feared the writing is still just so bland. It’s just like line after line of what you’d expect from a game from 15-20 years back. In fact I’m just shocked at how drab the narrative is for this first 12 hours I’ve played. I think at this point Bethesda just don’t know how to create meaningful and impactful story beats / moments. Even the few big revelations I’ve experienced - many other talented developers would manage to make it hit but with Bethesda it seems to fall flat.
- I tried Ori and the Will of the Wisps and it had me absolutely delighted and glued for those two hours. Here for 12 hours I feel very little.
- Then there’s the visuals and fps. Sometimes with indoors I’m highly impressed by the work put into the smallest of assets yet nothing seems to come together well. That first big city you go should feel spectacular but again it feels more Outer Worlds 2.0 than something next gen. Also for a game like this 30FPS just hurts the experience so much.
- Then there’s the space exploration or lack thereof which has been criticised heavily. I mean as someone who loves the genre - without actual exploration you lose the wonder, mystery and thrill of adventure that simply fast travelling cannot achieve. It’s more Fallout in space than a true space adventure / odyssey.

Having said all of the above, it’s just early impressions. I’ve heard that the side content is good at that things pick up after 12 hours so lots to see and take in. One issue for me so that I subconsciously compare this to Cyberpunk which is a game that I adore and there’s night and day in my experience between the two.

I wonder if there are things like massive black holes etc.

That would be cool.
If you really love space exploration stuff like that then just play Outer Wilds.

Sorry but the game is lifeless. Just a loading screen simulator with poor watered down RPG mechanics, no real sense of impactful choices and the customary poor Bethesda writing. I just don't know how they'd spend so long develo
Exactly

Last edited:

Balljy

Yeah I stopped playing this and went back for another BG3 run.

Sorry but the game is lifeless. Just a loading screen simulator with poor watered down RPG mechanics, no real sense of impactful choices and the customary poor Bethesda writing. I just don't know how they'd spend so long developing a space game without refining a core mechanic - space exploration. Even the dodgy unity asset flip indie games on Steam do a better job of planetary exploration than this.

Maybe I've been spoiled by BG3 and the immersive exploration in Star Citizen (yes its a glorified tech demo I know), but this was a massive let down. Should have known to trust my instincts on anything modern Bethesda and Todd Howard vomits out these days.

I'm glad there are some enjoying this, but I find myself still looking for something to properly scratch that space itch. Looks like I'll still have to desperately hope someone slaps some sense into Chris Roberts and they actually make Star Citizen playable within a decade :wenger:
I'm enjoying it, but I agree there's some flaws with it. I read about the writing being better, and maybe the core story is better but the writing itself is as bad as the other Bethesda games. They don't try and hide it either like in the first mission

We're a new miner is being shown around, blasts 5 rocks and then is sent to go to pickup an artifact 10 minutes after starting the job. Picking up the artifact means we lose consciousness for a while and then after a short fight we're treating our boss like we've known them for years and thanking them for everything they've done in our time together (which is essentially nothing apart from harm the character).

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Started playing last night, got about 6 hours in and my save got corrupted. Had to restart from the beginning. Thanks Bethesda.
Doesn’t I create auto saves constantly though? My game crashed once but I lost only 10 minutes due to that function.

Kaos

I'm enjoying it, but I agree there's some flaws with it. I read about the writing being better, and maybe the core story is better but the writing itself is as bad as the other Bethesda games. They don't try and hide it either like in the first mission

We're a new miner is being shown around, blasts 5 rocks and then is sent to go to pickup an artifact 10 minutes after starting the job. Picking up the artifact means we lose consciousness for a while and then after a short fight we're treating our boss like we've known them for years and thanking them for everything they've done in our time together (which is essentially nothing apart from harm the character).
Yeah its a lazy narrative crutch, Cyberpunk 2077 (I game I so far consider superior to this) did the same thing in the beginning when meeting Jackie. You get a flashback cutscene showing your time and memories together as friends, its essentially the writers forcing a 'LOOK, YOU ARE BEST BUDDIES! THIS IS IMPORTANT! REMEMBER THIS!'.

Its why I love KOTOR and BG3's narrative development. The character you play is essentially no different to you - you're not acclimatised to your companions, the world around you or even who you are (in KOTOR's case). So you get to learn these things as the game progresses.

Back to Starfield and Bethesda in general - I don't know how they've haven't hired better writers in the decades they've been operating. Since Morrowind, everything from the main quest, side quests and characters have been poor and uninspiring. I would hope they'd have taken some influence from Obsidian who put them to shame with the quality of the writing in New Vegas, but apparently Todd Howard cares more about vacuous marketing soundbites like 'thousands of planets!' which is essentially Starfield's version of 'see that mountain there, you can climb that!'.

Nickosaur

Fair enough to those not enjoying it. Trying not to overhype my experience in it so far - I'm still early (level 4 after approx 5 hours playing last night) so maybe the flaws will become more apparent.

I just can't wait to pick it up again. Feel like I'm completely obsessed already. I'm over 30 and shouldn't be feeling like this about a fecking video game! :lol:

crossy1686

career ending
Doesn’t I create auto saves constantly though? My game crashed once but I lost only 10 minutes due to that function.
Well it did until the message popped up on the screen "unable to create new save", and that message popped every time it tried to auto save or I did a manual save.

There's a bunch of people saying the same things on Reddit with fixes for it, so I faffed around for an hour trying to fix it but their issue wasn't the same as mine (I don't sync my files with One Drive), so in the end I decided it was just easier to start again.

Siorac

If you really love space exploration stuff like that then just play Outer Wilds.
Only if you have a high tolerance for frustration though. The time loop mechanic, while intriguing, made me quit the game because I couldn't face doing the takeoff and landing sequence the 121745th time.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Some advice I took was stick with the storyline till
you have your crew
before getting lost in side mission as this introduces you to the systems and locations that will make everything else easier.

I didn’t act on that advice initially but once I got to that stage it seemed sound.

Evrythings so tempting though innit?:)
Yeah I’d seen that, but I’ll be damned if I’m sticking to it :D

Maybe roughly.

Fully Fledged

Fair enough to those not enjoying it. Trying not to overhype my experience in it so far - I'm still early (level 4 after approx 5 hours playing last night) so maybe the flaws will become more apparent.

I just can't wait to pick it up again. Feel like I'm completely obsessed already. I'm over 30 and shouldn't be feeling like this about a fecking video game! :lol:
Yeah, I played about 5 hours last night, and I'm loving it. Just got a few things to do today then I'll be back on it for the weekend. I love a 3 day weekend.

Woodzy

Just had to travel to Mars to chat to some bloke and now been told I have to travel to Venus. Where the feck is the action

Leg-End

I wish I had free time like a lot of these industry professionals seems to have.

Irwin99

Having said all of the above, it’s just early impressions. I’ve heard that the side content is good at that things pick up after 12 hours so lots to see and take in. One issue for me so that I subconsciously compare this to Cyberpunk which is a game that I adore and there’s night and day in my experience between the two.

Exactly
I have to preface this by saying i'm not playing the game and i'm just interested to see the buzz around it, whether people enjoy it, how they feel about it etc. but i did watch some footage of a streamer playing it and i'm just not seeing any 'vibe' or inspiration, unlike Cyberpunk which had its Night City and all its seediness and criminality. Whatever people thought about Cyberpunk (and it had problems) it had a 'feel' to it. I don't like Fallout games but i can see why people immerse themselves in the post apocalyptic world but i'm not really seeing the hook for this. It looks like No Man's Sky with a bit of shooting thrown in.

Again, not playing the game, it could be amazing, i'm just curious as to what the big deal is.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Not being able to run 2k fullscreen on your 4k screen is so … Bethesda2023?

Gehrman

It would be awesome if there were vehicles to use on some of the planets

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Steam rating is around 80% at the moment, with 40k+ votes. Seems the more critical reviews had some merit.

Gehrman

Steam rating is around 80% at the moment, with 40k+ votes. Seems the more critical reviews had some merit.
I think amongst other things the game has too many loading screens.

Nickosaur

Could only play for a couple of hours last night so I just focused on exploring the rest of the planet that New Atlantis is on. Found a survivor but then struggled to get him back to his ship as I ran out of ammo. Trying to attack dinosaur birds with just an axe was quite tricky.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
I got a weird sound bug (I assume), very laggy in dialogues or when the inventory comes up. Quite annoying, but combat is decent so far.

Shark

@NotShark
Spent some time upgrading my ship last night because I had basically hit a brick wall in the main story at a part space combat was compulsory. Feck me it's addictive once you start customising and I'm someone who never had any intention of going anywhere near the ship building side of things.

Nickosaur

Some dude was asking for 10000 credits to join my crew. I haggled him down to 6000. Then realised I didn't have space on my ship ffs!

Gehrman

Same, I’m probably halfway through that questline. Really enjoying it.
I got bored with digipicks so ive postponed it. I prefer when you just have to go and shoot someone.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
I got bored with digipicks so ive postponed it. I prefer when you just have to go and shoot someone.
I specifically chose that trait (?) where they say you get random encounters with bountyhunters so I get to shoot more stuff. :lol:

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Completed the Neighbourhood first mission finally after feckin around for ages.

there is a side mission you find along the way (you find a note on a dead dude on the staryard part) - highly recommend doing it when you can.

You get good guns and plenty of credits, brilliant spacesuit and a very good spaceship all for free

the interactions is a little silly, I interact with say Sarahwhen in battle to either take stuff from her backpack or out items into it, when you finish she says “goodbye” - we ain’t going our separate ways love, keep feckin shooting