Gaming Starfield | Metacritic (Series X): 83, OpenCritic: 86

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Agree there’s too many loading screens, but loving it so far. Would also like a vehicle for exploring.

Think I’ve got the hang of space combat after doing the simulation to join the Vanguard. Can just keep repeating it til you get the jist.

I’ve got lockpicking nailed down now too.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I tried for an hour but give up. I just don't like games like this anymore.

Macern

Pee pee pants
I got bored with digipicks so ive postponed it. I prefer when you just have to go and shoot someone.
Got bored with digipicks? You know you can preset all the picks and see that they all line up before activating any

Macern

Pee pee pants
Loading screens annoyed me until I discovered you can fast travel directly from say the middle of New Atlantis to the core of Neon without having to board the ship and fly it

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Gotta love those mods. Came from barely being able to play with washed out graphics to quite smooth with amazing reshading.

Dan

Zero g combat on a star station is something else.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Gotta love those mods. Came from barely being able to play with washed out graphics to quite smooth with amazing reshading.
Shame for us console gamers. The game often looks last gen to be honest. At times it’s washed out, and other times the textures are just so damn low res it’s crazy.

Zero g combat on a star station is something else.
Hands down the best part of the game. Enjoyed each of those encounters thoroughly.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Shame for us console gamers. The game often looks last gen to be honest. At times it’s washed out, and other times the textures are just so damn low res it’s crazy.
You playing on S or X?

amolbhatia50k

You playing on S or X?
X. Some of the textures in Atlantis are so low res / blurry. Basic things like the floor tiles.The trees are like cardboard cut outs. I think overall the worlds just don’t look crisp and next gen. What they do really well are building interiors. And the underground of Atlantis. I imagine Neon will look something like that so should look good.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
X. Some of the textures in Atlantis are so low res / blurry. Basic things like the floor tiles.The trees are like cardboard cut outs. I think overall the worlds just don’t look crisp and next gen. What they do really well are building interiors. And the underground of Atlantis. I imagine Neon will look something like that so should look good.
This is one of the things Cyberpunk got so right. At times that game looked incredible, in comparison this does look much more last gen.

amolbhatia50k

Character creator is great. I was sick of my character looking so generic so found an online guide to making him look like Mike from Breaking Bad. Noice!

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Got bored with digipicks? You know you can preset all the picks and see that they all line up before activating any
Do you mean like auto? Arent they already preset?

Gehrman

So from what I gather this is a solid but not great game?
Matter of taste. Unlike BG3 i find myself forcing to play it a bit too often. There are too many menus and loading screens to go through because you have to fast travel everywhere if you dont want to make it more of a slog. There is definitely a fallout in space vibe without it being campy but i think im around 45 hours in and soon wrapping up the main the story. Im hoping there is lots of quality content left, but so far a lot of the main and side quests feel a bit half baked. Still i recommend it. 8/10 from me so far. Its not a massive masterpiece but its worth playing unless you dislike the Bethesda formula.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Matter of taste. Unlike BG3 i find myself forcing to play it a bit too often. There are too many menus and loading screens to go through because you have to fast travel everywhere if you dont want to make it more of a slog. There is definitely a fallout in space vibe without it being campy but i think im around 45 hours in and soon wrapping up the main the story. Im hoping there is lots of quality content left, but so far a lot of the main and side quests feel a bit half baked. Still i recommend it. 8/10 from me so far. Its not a massive masterpiece but its worth playing unless you dislike the Bethesda formula.
Personally I'd say every open world game is a matter of taste. It's not the sort of gaming experience that ever feels directed enough to be masterful.

Gehrman

Personally I'd say every open world game is a matter of taste. It's not the sort of gaming experience that ever feels directed enough to be masterful.
Yeah. For me what's missing is memorable quests and charm. Its very sterile. But still there might be so much content left. I just hope its quality. But yeah like Botw and totk its so much about preference. I thougt botw was a kind of average and totk was a massive upgrade in some respects. Others will love starfield i just expected more but its a great game.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I’d say it’s a very good game that can be highly enjoyable but there’s a few things that would’ve improved it.

It’s Skyrim in space. The graphics look pretty good in places and not very good in others (the trees in New Atlantis look awful for some reason).

I saw a clip of a streamer saying if you go in to it with the wrong expectations (ie not Skyrim in space), or looking to focus on the negatives, that’ll be your experience, but if you enjoy the positives you'll have a good time, and I’d agree with that.

They’ve not pushed the boat as much as I’d have liked, but I’m also hooked, and thoroughly enjoying it so far.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Yeah. For me what's missing is memorable quests and charm. Its very sterile. But still there might be so much content left. I just hope its quality. But yeah like Botw and totk its so much about preference. I thougt botw was a kind of average and totk was a massive upgrade in some respects. Others will love starfield i just expected more but its a great game.
Haha TotK was the one I had in mind because that for me was worse than BotW. I much preferred BotW's simplicity – they added so much more to TotK that I found it very sandbox-y.

Likewise, I really enjoyed Fallout 3 because it was relatively brief and there wasn't a great deal outside of the main quests. Skyrim I couldn't get on with because there was just SO MUCH TO IT.

Funny how opinions differ, isn't it :)

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Yeah, just like with all their other games, they look awful vanilla once you see what can actually be achieved.
I’d say it’s a very good game that can be highly enjoyable but there’s a few things that would’ve improved it.

It’s Skyrim in space. The graphics look pretty good in places and not very good in others (the trees in New Atlantis look awful for some reason).

I saw a clip of a streamer saying if you go in to it with the wrong expectations (ie not Skyrim in space), or looking to focus on the negatives, that’ll be your experience, but if you enjoy the positives you'll have a good time, and I’d agree with that.

They’ve not pushed the boat as much as I’d have liked, but I’m also hooked, and thoroughly enjoying it so far.
Yep, pretty much what I've said since the start. I'm enjoying it, though I haven't played it much the past few days (mostly down to a Dark and Darker addiction!) but it's definitely one I'll be sticking with. Especially now the mods are coming.

It is a shame though once again it was a lot of bullshit hype from Howard and that. They clearly haven't produced the game they were aiming for, it's definitely cut right back. However as I've said a couple of times, it isn't fundamentally broken like Cyberpunk. I'll be surprised if it isn't opened up more through DLCs and that.

Well, I hope it is anyway as the pieces are all there for it.

Wing Attack Plan R

Anyone tried playing the PSVR2 version, or No Man’s Sky through VR? I saw a video that was saying the VR experience is next-level, because you jump in your ship and fly it around whatever planet you’re on. Not sure if they have or will have a VR version of Starfield.

pacifictheme

Was always going to be the case I think. I loved Skyrim, I think I would enjoy this too if I had an Xbox but I expect that people who want really deep RPG mechanics would probably be a bit disappointed.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I feel quite a bit let down/disappointed/pissed off with this.

I avoided as much as I could before launch as I didn't want any spoilers and with the way the game is and what its limitations are, I probably wouldn't have bought it had I known.

They massively overpromised and underdelivered.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I just can’t get into it so far. Played it a lot today trying to make it click

TrustInJanuzaj

Is it more close to Skyrim or Fallout in style? I know they are similar but personally I’m not a fan of Fallout at all but Skyrim is my all time favourite game. It could just be the lore/setting etc of Skyrim but there’s a couple of differences in yeh factions, side quests I think between Skyrim and Fallout. For anyone that has played both or is in a similar boat to me, which is this most similar too?

Drainy

Is it more close to Skyrim or Fallout in style? I know they are similar but personally I’m not a fan of Fallout at all but Skyrim is my all time favourite game. It could just be the lore/setting etc of Skyrim but there’s a couple of differences in yeh factions, side quests I think between Skyrim and Fallout. For anyone that has played both or is in a similar boat to me, which is this most similar too?
More like Fallout but less wacky in tone. I'd say it feels like a Bethesda game trying wear the skin of KOTOR with a pinch of No Man's Sky

TrustInJanuzaj

More like Fallout but less wacky in tone. I'd say it feels like a Bethesda game trying wear the skin of KOTOR with a pinch of No Man's Sky
Interesting. I’d probably have to judge it on it’s own individual merits then and as I suspect it will live and die for me by the lore/theme. Sci-fi is nowhere near fantasy for me so I suspect Skyrim will remain better to me.

Woodzy

I just can’t get into it so far. Played it a lot today trying to make it click
Same. A lot of travelling to different planets just to have a chat with someone, just feels a bit grindy even by open world RPG standards.

Nickosaur

Must have played for about 12 hours. Think I'm still on (main) mission 2 :lol:
Way too easy to pick up a random conversation and get completely derailed.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Must have played for about 12 hours. Think I'm still on (main) mission 2 :lol:
Way too easy to pick up a random conversation and get completely derailed.
I was running from a to b and just by that picked up two sidequests because I was seemingly overhearing stuff some randoms discussed while I was sprinting next to them. :lol:

Fully Fledged

I'm in the middle of the Vangard quest. It's amazing. The game was good before but this quest takes it up a level. I've heard that the FSC quest is pretty good too.
I won't go into details because some people here might not of played it. I've not finished it yet but so far so good.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
This is pretty funny

Spoiler as it might spoil your game a bit once you know about the exploit

amolbhatia50k

I think so. It’s a good game but not a great game. Not that it’s the only measure but you can even tell from the mixed critical reception.
I mean, everything is a matter of taste. But based on my time (40 hours) with it so far, good but not great sums it up well. The main things from an overall perspective would be:

- Starfield does a lot of things competently but nothing exceptionally. When I play great games I find myself feeling fulfilled after every session. There are moments that are riveting, stirring etc that you remember well past the experience but also in general it leaves a strong impression with each interaction. With Starfield my experience, whilst a net positive, is mostly like a flat line - I’m liking it, I think, but I can’t say there’s anything that leaves me feeling like I’m experiencing anything brilliant.

- On the above, I think the fault mostly lies with the core design of the game rather than any poor decisions. When people say it’s a Bethesda ass Bethesda game, while for some that’s the formula they love, adore and don’t want to change, I personally think it’s one that’s gone stale and steeped too deeply in the past. It’s in the way the characters move, the manner in which the dialogue is delivered, the strength of the writing and the formula of the quest loop. I genuinely believe that if Skyrim released as it was today, it would merely be a goodish game by today’s standards and I had a blast with Skyrim back in the day. This is like a remake of Skyrim except set in space and not as interesting / ahead of its time. Enough has been said about the exploration and fast travel already.

- Having said that, it does indeed have good parts - I’m enjoying the faction quests which feel so much more meaningful that the main campaign. And as earlier said - I like the first person shooting mechanics which combined with the jetpack / zero G, make for a fun time which is a huge improvement over their previous games so kudos to them for evolving on this front. I do wish they gave some more options for combat - the stealth is there but effectively not given how spaces are built. But you can’t have it all.

Still lots to play though!

Last edited:

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
It's a Bethesda game, not even month after release.

We'll talk when modding community will start creating their own stuff (planets, campaigns) that will overshadow vanilla lore.

Nickosaur

Finally arrived in Akila City. Love the wild west vibe. Im leaning heavily on Persuasion and i was able to diffuse a hostage situation at the bank.

Think I spent too much time randomly exploring at first. Initially quite enjoyed it but once you realise the point of interests on the planets are fairly generic templates, it gets a little old.

So I've dived back into actual quests again and the settings and cities that are actually handcrafted are really exceptional.

Overall still really enjoying it - it's comfortable 9/10 for me.

Kaos

Anyone tried playing the PSVR2 version, or No Man’s Sky through VR? I saw a video that was saying the VR experience is next-level, because you jump in your ship and fly it around whatever planet you’re on. Not sure if they have or will have a VR version of Starfield.
NMS on VR is absolutely nuts. Definitely recommend that experience. Elite: Dangerous too.

I'm guessing Bethesda would release a VR version of Starfield down the line, just as they had done with Skyrim VR. But expect it to be equally janky :lol: