Film The Batman

choccy77

That’s just reminded me, I would never in a million years have know that was bloody Colin Farrell playing Penguin if I didn’t check IMDB.

I might watch the old Burton films again soon actually, not seen them for years but remember them being good.
First Two were.

Its a shame they lost MK because the studios wanted to goof it up with sillyness

Sylar

I seem to remember a batman with batnipples and a credit card or something.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Just watched it. No idea where all these crazy praises are coming from - Best Batman ever, better than Nolan's. Like wtf?!? It's a decent movie but that's about it.
-Soundtrack is pure cringe.
-I really hated how he was basically bulletproof
-How he completely forgot at times that he was Batman and talked with his normal voice when he was with Gordon
-He's supposedly really intelligent but does zero planning when fighting against mobs.
-Batman at its early days and he's already working with Gordon?
-Where are all the gadgets?
-Supposed to be realistic but then you have that car crash with Penguin - he comes out completely unscathed. Really??
-At times I thought I was watching a CW tv series - that last scene where both Batman and Catwoman are riding on a motorcycle - wtf was that?
- Riddler has to be one of the worst villains. Was only in it to be the vehicle for a sequel - Joker
-The length :houllier:

Nolan's first 2 movies are miles better than this one.

Sylar

Cant take that seriously with Soundtrack dismissal as the first point...

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I suppose with the announcement of a sequel that will no doubt become a trilogy, Batman movies have moved out of superhero and become their own genre now.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

It's pure cringe. 4-5 songs. And one being repeated numerous times. Brilliant
Each to their own and all that, but I personally thought the soundtrack was the best thing about it. Slightly different Batman. Slightly different Alfred. Slightly darker Gotham etc etc etc. Yawn.

evil_geko

Just watched it. No idea where all these crazy praises are coming from - Best Batman ever, better than Nolan's. Like wtf?!? It's a decent movie but that's about it.
-Soundtrack is pure cringe.
-I really hated how he was basically bulletproof
-How he completely forgot at times that he was Batman and talked with his normal voice when he was with Gordon
-He's supposedly really intelligent but does zero planning when fighting against mobs.
-Batman at its early days and he's already working with Gordon?
-Where are all the gadgets?
-Supposed to be realistic but then you have that car crash with Penguin - he comes out completely unscathed. Really??
-At times I thought I was watching a CW tv series - that last scene where both Batman and Catwoman are riding on a motorcycle - wtf was that?
- Riddler has to be one of the worst villains. Was only in it to be the vehicle for a sequel - Joker
-The length :houllier:

Nolan's first 2 movies are miles better than this one.
-Soundtrack is amazing, Nirvana is great, but talking about main score mainly
-Yes, he had an armor suit
-Maybe because you are too used to ridiculous Bale meme voice from Nolan trilogy, Roberts Batman voice is much better
-Yes, he does no planning, because this is year two, he is still finding his legs, even melee fights are messy where he gets hit a lot, I loved that
-Why would this be strange
-Year two, still no tons of gadgets, and I would like it if it stays this way, much more grounded
-I don't have problem with that scene, I have only one problem with "realism" where he hits the bridge with the flying suit, but it's comic movie, minor thing
-How you connected that scene with CW is mind boggling to me...
-Riddler in this film was great, Paul Dano was brilliant, if anything, having Joker this early is what is annoying me
-Even 3 hours was a bit short for me, went by very fast

This is for me above 1st and 3rd Nolan movie easily. And lots of elements surpass even TDK.

I don't know man, like I said before, to each his own, but you present a lot of some personal annoyances and preferences as objective movie flaws.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
After reading some positive reviews, I decided to watch it the other day, and I was utterly disappointed. I thought it was incredibly boring, to the point where I’m already struggling to remember what it was about. It also annoyed me how dark it was. The Nolan trilogy was miles better, imo.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
-Soundtrack is amazing, Nirvana is great, but talking about main score mainly
-Yes, he had an armor suit
-Maybe because you are too used to ridiculous Bale meme voice from Nolan trilogy, Roberts Batman voice is much better
-Yes, he does no planning, because this is year two, he is still finding his legs, even melee fights are messy where he gets hit a lot, I loved that
-Why would this be strange
-Year two, still no tons of gadgets, and I would like it if it stays this way, much more grounded
-I don't have problem with that scene, I have only one problem with "realism" where he hits the bridge with the flying suit, but it's comic movie, minor thing
-How you connected that scene with CW is mind boggling to me...
-Riddler in this film was great, Paul Dano was brilliant, if anything, having Joker this early is what is annoying me
-Even 3 hours was a bit short for me, went by very fast

This is for me above 1st and 3rd Nolan movie easily. And lots of elements surpass even TDK.

I don't know man, like I said before, to each his own, but you present a lot of some personal annoyances and preferences as objective movie flaws.
Wow are so different :lol:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I enjoyed this for the most part. I liked the grungy claustrophobic sense of Gotham, not to dissimilar feel to Burtons where the film felt condensed and a character within itself, but obviously less visually twisted and Cartoony . Performances were fine, sound design good, maybe alittle overlong but I certainly wasn't bored by it.

Liked the references from the various comics Reeves was picking from, some blatant from The Long Halloween.

I'm cool with a trilogy being produced. Atleast it felt more Director driven and you clearly get a sense of a singular artistic vision going on here than anything ,say, that's been produced in other big budgeted blockbusters recently.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I bet the Schumacher Batman’s would make for fantastic viewing watching them again after all these years

…if you were tripping balls.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Btw, the make-up work for Colin Farrell's Penguin was exceptional. Totally unrecognisable.
Refreshing to see practical make-up effects of that quality still appear in major motion pictures.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
He didn't actually hit the bridge, did he? His parachute got caught on it and then he took a bump and fell from a height of about 15 feet but as far as I remember he didn't squirrel suit directly into the bridge and live. Babies have survived falling out of buildings before it's not unheard of. Nolans Batman threw himself off a skyscraper to save Rachel and they both just fell straight down and smashed into the roof of a car and then held an immediate casual conversation. I'm more bothered by the fact that he can take shotgun blasts from 5 feet or get a bomb blown up in his face and be totally fine.

Last edited:

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
He didn't actually hit the bridge, did he? His parachute got caught on it and then he took a bump and fell from a height of about 15 feet but as far as I remember he didn't squirrel suit directly into the bridge and live. Babies have survived falling out of buildings before it's not unheard of. I'm more bothered by the fact that he can take shotgun blasts from 5 feet or get a bomb blown up in his face and be totally fine.
It's beyond stupid the whole bulletproof thing. I've never seen any depiction of Batman where he just stands in front of bullets like it's nothing.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
He didn't actually hit the bridge, did he? His parachute got caught on it and then he took a bump and fell from a height of about 15 feet but as far as I remember he didn't squirrel suit directly into the bridge and live. Babies have survived falling out of buildings before it's not unheard of. Nolans Batman threw himself off a skyscraper to save Rachel and they both just fell straight down and smashed into the roof of a car and then held an immediate casual conversation. I'm more bothered by the fact that he can take shotgun blasts from 5 feet or get a bomb blown up in his face and be totally fine.
He had only just deployed the chute which caught the side of the bridge and slammed him into the bottom of it before landing on a bus and rolling 50 yards after hitting a car. Then he stands up and walks away. At least the shotgun blast incapacitated him.

Worst scene of the movie.

Zarlak

He had only just deployed the chute which caught the side of the bridge and slammed him into the bottom of it before landing on a bus and rolling 50 yards after hitting a car. Then he stands up and walks away. At least the shotgun blast incapacitated him.

Worst scene of the movie.
Honestly I believe that more than the shotgun/bomb thing and don't think it was that bad. Nolan's (whose films I loved) was worse, the speed from a squirrel suit slowing you and following a curved flight path is nowhere near as bad as two people holding each other falling straight down from the top of a skyscraper and smashing onto a car roof before lying on the roof and having a conversation.

caid

I really enjoyed it. I think the Nolan films were technically better movies but i enjoyed this more i think. It was a good contrast. I just generally prefered the direction this movie took with the character and the city. It was a bit hammy and silly in parts but it just made it more fun to me.
The dark and kind of claustrophobic way its shot will probably annoy some and 3 hours is too long for the cinema, i paused it and wandered off for 20 mins while watching it.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
The thing I really enjoyed about was that Bruce was not that different than Batman. If you are really that hellbent for vengeance, you are not going to be a mild mannered business man during the day and a violent psychopath at night.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Honestly I believe that more than the shotgun/bomb thing and don't think it was that bad. Nolan's (whose films I loved) was worse, the speed from a squirrel suit slowing you and following a curved flight path is nowhere near as bad as two people holding each other falling straight down from the top of a skyscraper and smashing onto a car roof before lying on the roof and having a conversation.
:lol: that was also ridiculous, as was the bit where he let the balloon out the window to get caught by the passing plane to yank them out of the window in Hong Kong.

Can you even imagine the G forces of going from standing still to being grabbed by a plane travelling at cruising speed by a rope?!

RoyH1

I thought I was going to hate this (tired of endless reboots) but I was actually pretty entertained. Not bad at all. Probably biased due to the heavy mid 90's esthetic of the whole thing. Gave me big 7even vibes.

Zarlak

:lol: that was also ridiculous, as was the bit where he let the balloon out the window to get caught by the passing plane to yank them out of the window in Hong Kong.

Can you even imagine the G forces of going from standing still to being grabbed by a plane travelling at cruising speed by a rope?!
Tbf at least that was grounded in reality, it was an actual thing but yeah that seems fraught with all kinds of danger. Imagine the hook just glanced but didn't latch, and so the yank just threw you both out of the window.

Also, skyhook doesn't extract you at that angle, it pulls you up vertically first so if anything they'd just both slam into the roof of the room.

Sylar

It's pure cringe. 4-5 songs. And one being repeated numerous times. Brilliant
Is this meant to be for your point or for mine?

Still need to know what you mean by cringe? Just seems like a buzzword being used

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Not quite up there with the technical accomplishment of the Nolan films but still pretty decent. For me, the biggest issue with this was the editing, I reckon 15-25 minutes could've been sliced off and it would've made it a much slicker film and allowed the momentum of the film to build in a more consistent fashion.

Personally, I hope Dano has a big role in any upcoming films.

Reminded me why Batman is the only superhero I can get into as he is the most grounded and why I dispise the Marvel universe with a passion.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I’ve just watched it. Acting is great, I like the grungy atmosphere, the story is a bit by the numbers yet still manages to be engaging and I enjoyed seeing Batman’s more investigative side plus the man with no name Eastwood vibe early on…but something just felt off with it. Not a huge fan of the villain, he’s okay but nothing more than that and ultimately it’s all just a bit meh really. Obviously a huge improvement on Batman vs Superman but don’t think it’s anywhere close to Nolan’s trilogy. Then again maybe I’m just getting old and grumpy.

Zarlak

I enjoyed Dano's performance but I can't help but feel like they neutered him a little. He's supposed to be a genius at lateral thinking and taxing Batman mentally but every riddle he asked a year 2 rookie Batman was like 'oh yeah the answer is this' and the beginning riddles Alfred basically cranks out in no time at all with the cipher. It felt like a.) the riddler was the wrong choice of villain, it could have been literally anyone else and it would have posed Batman the same level of challenge and b.) that they tried to go down the path of TDK Joker with how the plan has layers on top of layers and just when you think you've done it, oh no another final layer. The 'bring him to the light' was a little ridiculous 'I'll just happen to be home the exact moment Batman chooses to arrest Falcone and I'll set my sniper rifle up just to take him out as he's under the light'. Talk about foreshadowing.

Roane

I didn't think the movie was more than a 6/10 but I think people may be focussing on the wrong things.

For example the whole batman Bruce Wayne thing. Even in Nolams Batman it's only when Alfred tells Bruce about being Bruce as well as batman does he do the whole fancy cars and models thing.

The Nolan batman moves quickly through these phases but in year 2 as this batman is supposed to be them yeah he hasn't quite become the Bruce Wayne Playboy persona. You'd think it would gradually appear and be more observable in the next movie

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Tbf at least that was grounded in reality, it was an actual thing but yeah that seems fraught with all kinds of danger. Imagine the hook just glanced but didn't latch, and so the yank just threw you both out of the window.

Also, skyhook doesn't extract you at that angle, it pulls you up vertically first so if anything they'd just both slam into the roof of the room.
I would have thought it would just instantly snap your neck!

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
How come nobody is talking about the triviality of destroying half a freeway, causing countless crashes and potential fatalities just to ask Penguin some questions?

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
It's beyond stupid the whole bulletproof thing. I've never seen any depiction of Batman where he just stands in front of bullets like it's nothing.
In the opening sequence of the 1989 Batman, doesn't the bad guy shoot him a few times in the chest and knock him over, then about 5 seconds later Batman gets up?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Each to their own and all that, but I personally thought the soundtrack was the best thing about it. Slightly different Batman. Slightly different Alfred. Slightly darker Gotham etc etc etc. Yawn.
Soundtrack is brilliant. Anything inspired by Nirvana is good for me. And the mood / those initial chords of something in the also fit perfectly with the tone of this film.