g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Film The Batman

choccy77

Check out this video.

They replaced the new batman characters with Adam West's into the trailer and its amazingly good.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The first 30 minutes I'm thinking 'I didn't want or need yet another Batman movie, but okay this looks like its trying something different and I can get behind a detective angle, and the soundtrack is perfect'. It totally fell apart after that, and became the largely pointless for-the-sake-of-it movie I always feared and suspected it would be.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
The soundtrack is basically 'Something In The Way' all the way through isn't it? Certainly got their money's worth out of that bad boy.

Mike Smalling

Watched it over the weekend - thought it was ok but far too long. It's nowhere and I mean nowhere as good as the Nolan movies and I don't know how anybody could think otherwise.
Batman Begins and especially The Dark Knight Rises are misremembered as being much better than they actually were. The Dark Knight was the only outstanding movie in the trilogy. I certainly preferred The Batman over the other two.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Batman Begins and especially The Dark Knight Rises are misremembered as being much better than they actually were. The Dark Knight was the only outstanding movie in the trilogy. I certainly preferred The Batman over the other two.
I love Dark Knight Rises actually and it's my favorite of the trilogy - with Batman Begins and The Dark Knight a close second - I quite enjoyed The Batman but in my opinion it's nowhere near as good (or as enjoyable) as any of Nolan's Batman movies.

stevoc

Meh, it was alright but no where near as good as the first two Nolan movies and not even as good as the third.

Felt like a dark, moody 3 hour long episode of Taggert in Cosplay.

How many times did he need to go to the same nightclub? They could have easily trimmed a good 45-60 minutes off this and not lost much.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Finally got around to watching this over the weekend and overall found it a bit “meh”.

It was WAY too long for the amount of actual plot/story. Movies can be long, it’s not inherently a bad thing, but this had a ridiculous amount of stuff that could and should have been cut, it really dragged.

I also agree with a lot of @simonhch points, especially the bit where he jumped off the building and half-way “flew” before crashing into various solid objects and being seemingly fine. That scene also looked appalling and totally took me out of the movie because it was so brazen how they’d filmed it. You should never be so aware of camerawork like that.

Aside from that I thought it was visually appealing, and I loved the soundtrack even though it was somewhat limited, the recurring use of Ave Maria especially was fantastic.

Pattinson was good. I wasn’t overly keen on his interpretation of Bruce Wayne even though I get the angle they’re going for, but I thought his Batman was good.

Jeffrey Wright was good as Gordon, what’s his name as Alfred was ok I guess, and Catwoman was massively under utilised.

Overall, meh, 6/10.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I love Dark Knight Rises actually and it's my favorite of the trilogy - with Batman Begins and The Dark Knight a close second - I quite enjoyed The Batman but in my opinion it's nowhere near as good (or as enjoyable) as any of Nolan's Batman movies.
Rises was pants, but I love the other two even though TDK also suffered from being too long - they should have cut the whole scene with the two ferries. Begins was better then it gets credit for, I think it’s (understandably) overshadowed by TDK because of Ledger and his iconic Joker.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Finally got around to watching this over the weekend and overall found it a bit “meh”.

It was WAY too long for the amount of actual plot/story. Movies can be long, it’s not inherently a bad thing, but this had a ridiculous amount of stuff that could and should have been cut, it really dragged.

I also agree with a lot of @simonhch points, especially the bit where he jumped off the building and half-way “flew” before crashing into various solid objects and being seemingly fine. That scene also looked appalling and totally took me out of the movie because it was so brazen how they’d filmed it. You should never be so aware of camerawork like that.

Aside from that I thought it was visually appealing, and I loved the soundtrack even though it was somewhat limited, the recurring use of Ave Maria especially was fantastic.

Pattinson was good. I wasn’t overly keen on his interpretation of Bruce Wayne even though I get the angle they’re going for, but I thought his Batman was good.

Jeffrey Wright was good as Gordon, what’s his name as Alfred was ok I guess, and Catwoman was massively under utilised.

Overall, meh, 6/10.
What was the point of that crash if it had no repercussions on his health, suit whatever :lol: A totally pointless moment

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
What was the point of that crash if it had no repercussions on his health, suit whatever :lol: A totally pointless moment
It was like they sat down at the first planning meeting and noted down a few scenes that a Batman movie should have.

That one along with “Batman marches through the mob nightclub and fights off lots of generic goons” which was almost a punch for punch remake of the same scene in TDK.

Mike Smalling

The Dark Knight Rises is so riddled with plot holes that it's hard to look past. Obviously, a silly superhero movie doesn't have to be perfect in that regard, but TDKR really jumps the shark.

choccy77

The Dark Knight Trilogy is great, despite Rises being the weaker one.

But The Keaton Batman was great also.

And you can't beat Adam West Era either.

Batman has done pretty well overall in live action.

The new one though is a let down in comparison to those above.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I also agree with a lot of @simonhch points, especially the bit where he jumped off the building and half-way “flew” before crashing into various solid objects and being seemingly fine
I can imagine the conversation in the editing room.

"That's a pretty nasty series of collisions there. What are we going to go?"

"Make him limp a little bit. That should be enough. They'll forget about it by the next scene"

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I can imagine the conversation in the editing room.

"That's a pretty nasty series of collisions there. What are we going to go?"

"Make him limp a little bit. That should be enough. They'll forget about it by the next scene"
“Just remember to take the GoPro mount off his head and we’re golden”

Sylar

Rises was pants, but I love the other two even though TDK also suffered from being too long - they should have cut the whole scene with the two ferries. Begins was better then it gets credit for, I think it’s (understandably) overshadowed by TDK because of Ledger and his iconic Joker.
I agree with this. Begins is a really good movie.

Sylar

Check out this video.

They replaced the new batman characters with Adam West's into the trailer and its amazingly good.

This is brilliant

18.26 btw for those who want to go straight into it.

evil_geko

Hot garbage.

Oh where to begin…..

- Firstly, it was much, much too long and nowhere near interesting enough to warrant that length. A detective story, which I appreciated, but the mystery wasn’t particularly great, nor was Batman some great detective. Just pretty decent at answering a riddle in the spur of the moment.

- He took a bomb to the face, and nothing happened to him. His jaw would be gone, but okay.

- The police carried him out and no one removed his mask. That’s be literally the first thing anyone would do after taking an explosion to the chops.

- He dived off a building and flew with what looked like a quilted blanket on his back, until he finally hit a bridge and I think a train, but no harm done. Would be massively dead. But again, okay.

- The back to back scenes between Wayne and Flacone and then Wayne and Alfred were just wank. Falcone: “Marone killed your parents. Sorry kid”. Wayne: [No answer, no questions, just sullen face]. Next scene, Wayne: “Alfred you lied to me your whole life, Marone killed my parents”, Alfred: “No it was Falcone”, Wayne: “Okay then. I love you”. It was excruciatingly bad.

- Catwoman, looked hot as feck, did nothing.

- Batmobile was an undrivable muscle car mess.

- No discernible tech development, most of his gadgets are rudimentary. Then suddenly has some DARPA level recording contacts.

- Bruce Wayne basically walked around the whole movie looking like Brandon Lee in the Crow, just way less cool. Same vibe and everything.

- Takes so many bullets it’s a fecking miracle not a single one hits him in the face. People love just shooting very accurately at his chest.

- When he’s Bruce Wayne he looks like a skinny teenager who found his dad’s Batman costume and is playing dress up.

- His whole sullen attitude, especially towards Alfred, makes him look like a petulant man child. As a character he was extremely unlikable. Zero charisma, or really any redeeming feature.

- Why, in the event of a flood, did they flock everyone into the basketball arena when it was below land level?

- Big dramatic moment at the end…I’ll sacrifice myself by cutting this cord and getting electrocuted and falling into the water…..cue dramatic music and awestruck onlookers…..wait, no, I’m instantly okay.

I honestly don’t get anyone saying this is even remotely close to the Nolan films. There are some decent performances, but it’s wayyyyyy too long. It took me three sittings to get through this borefest. There are a lot of stupid things that happen. Large sections of it are just not needed. The detective story is really bang average at best. Pattison is an okay Batman when in costume, and a terrible Brandon Lee lookalike Bruce Wayne, when he isn’t. He also has the physical presence of a skinny goth teenager.

It’s still better than any of the Batfleck movies, but shit, that’s not saying much.
To each his own, I watched this movie two times in three days, which I never did with any Nolan movies. For me I was craving more even after those three hours, brilliant film. Fight scenes, cinematography, general atmosphere, Robert as Batman, it's all better for me than Nolan Batman films. Nolan action is always a shaky cam mess.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
To each his own, I watched this movie two times in three days, which I never did with any Nolan movies. For me I was craving more even after those three hours, brilliant film. Fight scenes, cinematography, general atmosphere, Robert as Batman, it's all better for me than Nolan Batman films. Nolan action is always a shaky cam mess.
That’s the beautiful thing about films, so subjective. I mean I don’t get it, I thought the action was tepid, the plot dull, Bruce Wayne a grumpy goth man child, and the mystery not very mysterious. But I’m glad you liked it. In fact, it sounds like you loved it. I love when you find a film like that.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Yeah, maybe it’s just because I have this irrational dislike of Christian Bale but I never rated the Nolan films as highly as others.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I really enjoy watching Dark Knight Rises. There's some truly brilliant scenes in that film and the ending for me is nigh on perfect. It was let down by the 'twist' at the end with Marion Cotillard's character and a highly intricate plot for Bane (really didn't need to be).

Batman Begins however is actually borderline close to Dark Knight in my opinion. It's such a wonderful opening to the trilogy, it's not overly long, the plot keeps pushing along and it's memorable, decent villains. It's such an enjoyable film to watch.

Idxomer

This needed to be no longer than 90 minutes and ffs someone turn on the lights.

Sweet Square

If Nolan was a true artist he would have ended Rises with Batman getting killed by Bane and the nuke killing everyone. But no the guy was too worried about finding funding for his nerd puzzle movies.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
This needed to be no longer than 90 minutes and ffs someone turn on the lights.
:lol: that's what I was thinking too.
Every feckin time they were in a situation where lights could be on, they weren't. I spent waay too much time trying to see what was going on. (I watched it on my TV).

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I thought it was excellent. My kind of superhero film as opposed to the corny popcorn flicks that are released every other week. Didn't hit the heights of TDK obviously but then that's one of the greats. If this is the start of a trilogy / series then it's a really strong one.

Also I didn't find the film too long mainly because nothing dragged for me. Even the slower parts made sense amidst the overarching narrative.

Bonus points for Nirvana's music being the soundtrack for the film. That just gave me a nice little high every now and then. I thought it would just be in the trailer but it was used throughout:D

Drifter

American
Good, solid start to the franchise. They really captured the grittiness of Gotham . Looking forward to the team up in the future, where things will really get chaotic.

Superunknown

I love Dark Knight Rises actually and it's my favorite of the trilogy - with Batman Begins and The Dark Knight a close second.
My man! Feck the haters, I really enjoyed/love The Dark Knight Rises. Great end to the trilogy. Those final few minutes really give me goosebumps.

evil_geko

And lose the bloody eye liner emo schtick.
Every Batman in history had "eye liner emo shtick" behind the mask, in this movie it is actually presented realistically where it doesn't magically disappear when he takes his mask off. I loved that detail here.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
The Batman 2 announced
Fantastic news, there is so much left to explore in this universe! Maybe they could call it 'The Batman Returns' and get somebody like Danny DeVito to play penguin, that would be sick.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Fantastic news, there is so much left to explore in this universe! Maybe they could call it 'The Batman Returns' and get somebody like Danny DeVito to play penguin, that would be sick.
That’s just reminded me, I would never in a million years have know that was bloody Colin Farrell playing Penguin if I didn’t check IMDB.

I might watch the old Burton films again soon actually, not seen them for years but remember them being good.