The Biden Presidency

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
OK, I must admit, I don't think of capitalist scare-mongering very often. I blame myself, I'm sorry.
I mean, how can you not champion one of the most thoroughly debunked economic fallacies of the past few decades?

The idiotic jobs lost claim is like arguing that the non-existent oil in the not yet completed XL Pipeline that was going to be shipped overseas anyway has contributed to the rise in gas prices in this country.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I mean, how can you not champion one of the most thoroughly debunked economic fallacies of the past few decades?

The idiotic jobs lost claim is like arguing that the non-existent oil in the not yet completed XL Pipeline that was going to be shipped overseas anyway has contributed to the rise in gas prices in this country.
The amazing thing that every progressive intervention in the economy was supposed to ruin things ever since industrialization. I can never remember my source, but apparently this was already the narrative when they were abolishing child labour. I suppose it is actually possible to wreck the job market, but it's all so transparent what they're saying.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The amazing thing that every progressive intervention in the economy was supposed to ruin things ever since industrialization. I can never remember my source, but apparently this was already the narrative when they were abolishing child labour. I suppose it is actually possible to wreck the job market, but it's all so transparent what they're saying.
Progressive policies are always viewed this way, because they are wrecking something, but that something is the status quo and therefore the power base of the people currently "in power".

I just finished Heather McGhees "The Sum of Us" where she spends a lot of time discussing the mentality around some of the decisions made in American history in response to race. Really good book that constantly shows how white America would kneecap itself rather than help out the black community.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Progressive policies are always viewed this way, because they are wrecking something, but that something is the status quo and therefore the power base of the people currently "in power".

I just finished Heather McGhees "The Sum of Us" where she spends a lot of time discussing the mentality around some of the decisions made in American history in response to race. Really good book that constantly shows how white America would kneecap itself rather than help out the black community.

Yeah, the way any status quo is worshipped for its own sake across the world by those who've got money or power (often the same people, of course) is absolutely sickening.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I can't wait for the inevitable stream of misinformation on how this is going to hurt the middle and working class the most.
It won't be too long before the stupid get to vote against their own best interests again. Deplorable(s)!.

Carolina Red

Staff
Turkey bout to get big mad over someone else calling an event that literally led Raphael Lemkin to create the term “genocide” a genocide.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

It's been so nice recently, not having to see or hear Trump's odious offspring or this nasty raving lunatic.
Ahh, Kim if Joe Biden brings new meaning to the term phrase 'shelter in place' we can trust you to bring new meaning to the term phrase 'botox in face'.

WPMUFC

Watching the Biden address to congress. It's a good speech, but here's the problem. He's constantly pleading for congress to act on legislation and then goes on to praise the GOP as wanting to work on legislation.

Democrats are SOOOOOOO BAD at politics. They constantly frame the deadlock in congress as a bipartisan issue, its ALL republicans. FFS, stop giving them cover!!

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Watching the Biden address to congress. It's a good speech, but here's the problem. He's constantly pleading for congress to act on legislation and then goes on to praise the GOP as wanting to work on legislation.

Democrats are SOOOOOOO BAD at politics. They constantly frame the deadlock in congress as a bipartisan issue, its ALL republicans. FFS, stop giving them cover!!
You might enjoy this interview with Carville:
Vox.com: “Wokeness is a problem and we all know it”. https://www.vox.com/22338417/james-carville-democratic-party-biden-100-days

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It’s amazing how right wingers trumpet the AA unemployment rate as if Trump completely had everything to do with it.

Said it before in here, but that’s like me hitting a 300 yard drive & Trump picking up the tee & claiming success for the drive he just hit.

WPMUFC

It’s amazing how right wingers trumpet the AA unemployment rate as if Trump completely had everything to do with it.

Said it before in here, but that’s like me hitting a 300 yard drive & Trump picking up the tee & claiming success for the drive he just hit.
The new talking point on education tonight was market tested by the GOP. Biden focusing on education access is now "controlling Americans from Kindergarten to College"

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
The new talking point on education tonight was market tested by the GOP. Biden focusing on education access is now "controlling Americans from Kindergarten to College"
As if we needed another reminder that the full on assault on public education amped up under DeVos is part of the entire Republican plan to control the masses. The fact they convinced so many that theyre trying to do the opposite, and save people from getting proper schooling and make those who did get educated believe that somehow they've been brainwashed is truly the GOPs biggest accomplishment. If only a lot of the folks eating that up would have studied world history a bit more.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil

There's a reason he does this. The American people generally want both parties to work together and have started to cotton on to the fact that the GOP has just opposed everything Democrats and/or Biden have tried. By offering the olive branch of trying to be bipartisan, it appeals to the American people and has proven effective in garnering large support for most of his policies with the American public.

The problem comes when you have Democrats like Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema who misunderstand the dynamics of the moment. If they looked at public support for proposals on gun control, voting protections, tax reforms, and other major issues, they'd see support for most aspects in the 60s or 70s. Instead, they're focused on trying to operate in a way that Congress hasn't for two decades. Biden, to his credit, has realized that he can't depend on the dynamics of the Senate from the 70s, 80s, or 90s when opposition would let bills pass that they opposed rather than filibustering everything.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Whatever. I am so done with politics in this country. No one in power actually wants to fix things or make them better, they just want to accumulate power for themselves. As a species we barely deserve to be here.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
American politics is about votes. Votes to get elected and the money comes after.

It doesnt matter what's good for the nation, what matters is what their voters wants to hear. You dont even have to realized it, just coin them.

If enough people believe mayonaise spread on your penises would cure cancer..they'll somehow comes up with studies to back them up.

Gun control abortion etc. I seriously doubt any politicians really cares about these values deep inside their heart

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
American politics is about votes. Votes to get elected and the money comes after.

It doesnt matter what's good for the nation, what matters is what their voters wants to hear. You dont even have to realized it, just coin them.

If enough people believe mayonaise spread on your penises would cure cancer..they'll somehow comes up with studies to back them up.

Gun control abortion etc. I seriously doubt any politicians really cares about these values deep inside their heart
if Mayo on my penis would cure cancer I might consider it. If I had to eat Mayo I would likely just ask for a handgun.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Then by your methodology ban you’d have to ban everything tobacco related. If you were gonna use woods wraps you have a million alternatives that I can grab from the clinic. Menthols you just move people to other flavored tobacco. That’s why it’s stupid. I’ll go smoke hookah then.
Sold!

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Why are they banning menthols :(
Menthols are apparently more addictive and harder to stop than normal cigarettes and disproportionately impact Black people (85% of Black smokers smoke menthols). They're also planning to ban other flavored cigars/cigarillos. All of these are highly popular with younger smokers too. A number of Black health groups have been pushing for it for a while.

They're already banned in the EU, UK, Canada, Brazil, and a number of other countries. Other flavored cigarettes have been banned for about a decade now.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Then by your methodology ban you’d have to ban everything tobacco related. If you were gonna use woods wraps you have a million alternatives that I can grab from the clinic. Menthols you just move people to other flavored tobacco. That’s why it’s stupid. I’ll go smoke hookah then.
This is one slippery slope I would totally be behind. What’s the downside?

No tobacco on this earth would be a glorious thing for many reasons. This is coming from a long time cigar smoker.

I would gladly give them up in a heartbeat if it meant all tobacco is removed from the planet.

This is the same silly argument used by gun addicts. It’s never going to be a zero sum exercise. Why not help out a little?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
See my response to @WI_Red. Just rip the band aid off and do it. You won’t hear a complaint from me, just seems petty to ban that certain subsection.
Again, it’s going to help some not smoke, either through some addicts not finding a suitable replacement or some youngsters never using that product. It will also free up misspent healthcare funds.

It will never be a zero sum exercise. Achieving marginal, quantifiable goals is totally fine. To demand such is laughable. It’s the same insane mindset of the gun addict industry.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
You can't ban guns
you can't say you love guns

let's come up with a win win solution :
mix up some words like gun controls, reducing stocks, limiting muzzle capacity etc etc, democrats gets their votes, republicans gets to keep their guns.

Same with menthols

Smoking is Ok, but let's ban menthol.

Ok.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Ironic you should say this, I hate guns and think they should be banned but after the response Sandy Hook that’s never gonna happen.

My main issue is that the flavored alternatives are worse for you than a menthol. A more viable solution would be to ban vapes and hookah as well. Menthol is all about the throat hit and flavor is the taste, so take away those alternatives and then you’d be headed somewhere.
And again, it’s not zero sum. Not every addict will migrate, some will stop smoking altogether. And one clearly defined attraction for underage kids is removed from the market.

Even if this reduces existing smoking by 0.1% & reduces underage smoking by 0.1%, then it’s a win. By taking the throat suppressant away & the taste away, it will reduce current & future smoking. The amount of such is secondary.

This is exactly the obfuscation that both the tobacco lobby & the gun lobby want to have happen, getting mired down into basically semantical, zero sum debates. Any reduction in deaths caused by their products is a net positive, no matter how small the number is or what is restricted / removed to make it occur.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
You can't ban guns
you can't say you love guns

let's come up with a win win solution :
mix up some words like gun controls, reducing stocks, limiting muzzle capacity etc etc, democrats gets their votes, republicans gets to keep their guns.

Same with menthols

Smoking is Ok, but let's ban menthol.

Ok.
Any reduction of the harm caused by tobacco or guns is a net positive, no matter how small that number is.

It’s the ridiculous zero sum argument that is one of the main sticking points.

We’ll never rid the country of guns or tobacco, it’s insane to think will ever occur.

But we shouldn’t reduce the harm of both because we can never get to a gun-free or tobacco-free actuality?

Utterly bizarre way of thinking.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
What does this entail, exactly? :wenger:
To be honest, I don't know man. There's so many regulations that are alien to me, limiting stock? banning reloader? Maybe you know more about this.

To be honest, principality aside. I do love guns, if money is not an object I'd love to have a john wick weapon room. I love to probably reassemble them, play around with them, taking them to range etc.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Cement plug all gun muzzles so it's capacity to fire rounds is zero. Simples!
:lol: It highlights one problem of gun control, namely that the people involved with establishing it usually have limited knowledge of firearms. Here in Canada, when they originally started prohibiting some weapons in the 90s, the people involved literally looked at pictures and made the decision based on how scary the gun looked.