The Final: Argentina vs France

Predict the winner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
just switched over to listen to Gary N - what the hell has Keano done to his face?

Cloud7

I really like Mac Allister. I’m not sure where he would fit in for us if anywhere but I have really liked his performances this tournament

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
"Reminder" for 2nd half. You never watched Sopranos?
Yeah probably.
I mean they already complained before the game that the ref is from europe and...that the father of one assistant was also assistant in the 1990 WC final...that is obviously a huge, huge disadvantage for them?

pseudo_canadian

France can complain all they want on the penalty, but they’ve been thoroughly outclassed. They’re playing like it’s a preseason game.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I thought Di Maria played for it. Dembele does clip his ankle but he's already falling over at that point. I personally wouldn't have given it.

That said, I thought they should've had a penalty earlier anyway for Giroud barging people over. He did the exact same thing up the other end when France had an attacking free kick and the ref immediately gave a foul. The classic "if that's outside the box then the ref gives a free kick" which should never be the case. A foul is a foul.

The fact Kounde has still not been booked yet is also astounding. I don't suppose the people who are crying about conspiracy theories or bad refereeing will mention that though.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
That’s given as a penalty every week everywhere, I hate Argentina but there’s no conspiracy there :lol:

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
That's it. No matter what happens, I'm so satisfied with this team.

They showed lots of desire, Enzo has been inmense. That yellow at the end was such a shame
You should be mate, it's a bunch of heros.

It's absolutely hilarious for me to watch the meltdown on here from supposed neutrals.

I'm a European (who resides in Argentina) who has followed this teams journey and the shit that you guys are getting is ridiculous and quite frankly embarrassing.

feck the haters ¡VAMOS ARGENTINA VAMOS!

Telsim

God, I can't stand Di Maria. I feel unnatural anger overcome me every time I see his face.

Dazzmondo

Argentinian commentary for the 2nd goal :lol: "gol gol gol gol gol gol gol gol gol gol gol gol... GOL!"

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
But, it must feel great for a team to always start a game with a penalty. It makes everything easier.
To be fair, even if it's a slightly soft pen, it's still a pen for me since Dembele hits Di Maria's feet from behind while being totally beaten.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
If you had just posted that first line, fair enough.
The subsequent two lines makes your post utterly bitter sounding. What do you hope to gain from being this bitter?
Dick Dastardly as a nickname tells you one thing or two? .:D

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Shades of Brazil in 98 for the French. Something just ain't right with them. I guess we'll find out afterwards whether it's simply just down to this bug going through the camp.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
I think Deschamps made a mistake by subbing Giroud out, he could trouble Argentina’s Cb especially in the air and could be an important factor in this game. Overall, Argentina was a better team in the first half, midfielders look so smooth and effortless, ball-possesion was great. It was like the game of their life. A masterclass from Scaloni, Di Maria, and everyone.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
it's a soft penalty but it's not a scandalous decision. i think arg/messi have been lucky, but again, outside the poland penalty which he missed anyway, there's not a single one that was definitely wrong, all just different shades of maybe.

for what it's worth, this is what france got, in the final, last time around:
(around 4:00 in)

also not an egregiously wrong one, but, before the recent handball changes, a very very soft one

redshaw

This is what we've seen from France for a while, pretty passive games. Argentina have always had the threat and players to put good teams under pressure, they've been unfairly dismissed or underrated in this WC.

What a wonderful goal though for the second, Messi has been doing those flicks and through balls all tournament and has the players around him to support and finish the moves for a change.

RoyH1

I would've taken Griezmann off before Giroud, bring on an actual midfielder like Camavinga that does something. Griezmann good for defending but never does anything in attack.
Deschamps doesn’t trust Camavinga too much. He’s only played him at left back against Tunisia

marktan

Yeah… first team to clinch their group, 3-1 over Poland, 2-1 over England, 2-0 over Morocco. 2nd final in a row. Team hit by a virus the week of the final. Awful stuff.
England were the better team though.

This flu stuff is just an excuse for being tactically setup very poor.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Regarding the Messi vs Ronaldo debate, it's fair to say that Messi is the superior player regardless of the World Cup win. I think Ronaldo fans (not fanboys) can take satisfaction that he was ever in that debate.

Oranges038

Because it's the final of the world cup.

And 90% of watching wouldn't give that a as a pen.

The least you could do is go and watch it by yourself. Then make the decision.

I'm not squealing. Just stating the facts.

And my hat is woolen.
Soft pen, the referee, just like the last Argebtina game couldn't wait to point to the spot.

ExoduS

So the more I look at it, it is a penalty. I dislike term soft penalty. Is it a foul or not? It is. Dembele hit Di Maria's foot and Di Maria fell. Dembele should have never attempted a challenge there from behind. It was stupid.