The Make A Fecking Sub ETH Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoneStar

We were warned.....
I do remember people on here posting that rotation was his weakness. Here we are a goal down, with our starting 11 against some random team. Not sure which part is worse...

arnie_ni

He made on and the first thing he did was pick up a yellow and get suspended.

Varane sub may have won that game winning a few headers.

The United

Varane sub and how it worked showed how most of our CBs are not equipped to deal with aerial threats as well. There were tons of free headers that Everton made a mess of them, luckily for us.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I'd have chucked Fred on for Bruno or something as well just because there was so little pressure on the ball in the last 15 min unless they were inside our fecking box.

Some aerial presence was an obvious and sensible change though seeing as Everton just spent the rest of the game after their subs trying to play 70s football.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I was shouting for him to sub Eriksen for ages in the second half. He looked knackered and we were losing control of the game. Finally did it around the 80th minute but still felt too long. Varane sun was good though.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Time to get Sancho and Eriksen on I think.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Was pleased with Ten Hag. Ole and Rangnick were terrible for shitting the bed midway through the second half, sacrificing the midfield for every forward on the bench.

Great to have a manager who can hold his nerve and trust us to keep persevering, playing football the right way to maximise the chance of eventually winning. We had over 4 xG in the end, so it would have been terribly unfortunate for us not to win.

Idxomer

Any manager would be mental to bring on a young inexperienced midfielder in this game while its close
While this is true, Fred is playing exactly like a young inexperienced midfielder.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Yeah this game is calling for a substitution for Fred. Definitely not his best game.

Do we move Bruno back into Fred spot, and bring on Rashford if Ten Hagg not willing to bring one of Iqbal/Mainoo on?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Would have surely been nice to have an option like Garner on right now but we had to sell him so we can give a spot to Donny Never Been.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Any manager would be mental to bring on a young inexperienced midfielder in this game while its close
Agree with this.

Fred has been awful but unfortunately there isn't a more experienced option to bring on instead. I think Fred will come out for the second half and if things don't improve with him then I expect a change.

The same applies to Ronaldo.

Baneofthegame

The same people would then crucify him if he did and we went on and lost.

that’s not to say I don’t want to see him come on though.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
If only we had a midweek tournament against easier opposition where young inexperienced players could get some experience.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
It would be nice to see a bit more bravery with subbing on the young lads. Why have them on the bench if we're not gunna use them?

Nothing extreme. But giving Garnacho 15 min or so would be great for his development. Its not like Sancho has done a single thing this half.

mu4c_20le

I love ETH but that was the wrong sub. Take off a defender, Throw the fecking kitchen sink at them.

The United

Should have been sending more forwards to the pitch after 70th mins at OT.

FrantikChicken

Good point. I was expecting Elanga to be on at least for Sancho. ETH is too scared to make changes.
He’s not scared. He didn’t have anyone on the bench he trusts to make an impact. I wouldn’t have made changes either. Sancho was having his best game of the season so far and you want him to come off for elanga? Antony was getting a lot of time on the right but couldn’t find that final killer ball. The 2 chances at the end indicate that ten hag got it spot on. Not much he can do about the players on the pitch missing what were essentially sitters.

flameinthesun

He’s not scared. He didn’t have anyone on the bench he trusts to make an impact. I wouldn’t have made changes either. Sancho was having his best game of the season so far and you want him to come off for elanga? Antony was getting a lot of time on the right but couldn’t find that final killer ball. The 2 chances at the end indicate that ten hag got it spot on. Not much he can do about the players on the pitch missing what were essentially sitters.
His use of subs has in general been quite good with them impacting games. As you have pointed out the issue is he just doesnt have a good enough squad. And there is a difference in throwing on a youngster amongst a multiple title winning squad like under a fergie and then doing so with this team.

CM

He maybe could've thrown on one of the kids towards the end but I felt his hands were tied a little bit today. McTominay, Eriksen and van de Beek were all unavailable so there wasn't much he could do to change the balance of the midfield. Maybe he could've moved Sancho central and taken off Fernandes for Garnacho?

The United

I don't think that would have created two better chances than the ones we had very late in the game.
You don't think putting more attackers will help after watching how SAF used to do it? I mean we were playing against Newcastle.

FrantikChicken

You don't think putting more attackers will help after watching how SAF used to do it? I mean we were playing against Newcastle.
Newcastle have lost 5 games since January. They’ve got the best defensive record in the league.The Newcastle from 2 years ago no longer exists

Idxomer

No, we would've likely lost control of the midfield if we took a defender or a midfielder for another forward.

We created our two best chances after taking the statue up front off. You could argue he should've been off earlier but I don't think Ten Hag could've done much different in terms of subs.

Skills

Snitch
Using just 1 out 5 subs with the current fixture congestion is criminal tbh.

The United

No, we would've likely lost control of the midfield if we took a defender or a midfielder for another forward.

We created our two best chances after taking the statue up front off. You could argue he should've been off earlier but I don't think Ten Hag could've done much different in terms of subs.
The midfield was controlled by two FBs in the late periods of the game. Cas was OK, but Fred was anything but controlling the midfield at that point. In fact, Ronaldo (lack of options) should still have been on the pitch, with Rashford coming on for Fred, running from deep to behind their defense to stretch it.

MrSingh2002

Ajax fans did say he has a habit of making subs too late. We're seeing that play out.

sugar_kane

Bizarre thread & narrative this, before Newcastle here's the previous four games:
  • Omonia home - four subs, at 60 mins x 2, 70 & 80 mins. Last sub scores the winner.
  • Everton - three subs, admittedly late on and one early sub forced (Martial injury) - but we were winning by half time anyway.
  • Omonia away - five subs, two at half time. all three goals scored by subs.
  • Man City - five subs, four unforced. One at half time, two at 60 mins, one at 70. Two of our three goals scored by Martial who was subbed on.
I thought it was commonly accepted Ten Hag was doing alright with his subs for United? I think a lot of this talk is just driven by nutters who think the answer whenever we're struggling is just subbing on Academy players.

Status
Not open for further replies.