The MMA thread

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Yep, he certainly got into Khabib , just the opposite effect to what he wanted. Still, Khabib should not be able to get away with what he did. It can't be allowed to go unpunished as it sets an dangerous precedent imho.
Not getting involved in that again. It'll be dealt with in due course.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I dunno. If this had been peak McGregor could he have done damage in that third round? Khabib was definitely there to be hit.

For that to work he would have to have been at his very best though, not coming of a two year burnout.

Listening to Kavanagh I think if he had those first three rounds again he'd play them in exactly the same way, he'd just focus more on their offence for that third round.

Basically though any rematch would require McGregor to pull a Rocky III on it and totally change the focus of his lifestyle. Does he even want it that badly?
I don't know about that. Think Khabib stood in front because he at this point didn't respect McGregor's power.

Anyway, the NAC are now going to punish McGregor along with Khabib after reviewing additional footage.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
There will definitely be an immediate reamatch. Apparently it’s done over 2m buys and the 2nd fight will only do more.

Tony is gonna get screwed but that’s the business. For the UFC, Khabib and Conor it’s an easy decision.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
There will definitely be an immediate reamatch. Apparently it’s done over 2m buys and the 2nd fight will only do more.

Tony is gonna get screwed but that’s the business. For the UFC, Khabib and Conor it’s an easy decision.
Its also likely Conor, because of the power he wields in negotiations, had an immediate rematch clause written in.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
In all honesty that's fair enough. Khabib should get the majority of the blame but that doesn't mean McGregor wasn't at fault either.

Frankly it could all have played out a lot worse for him given he's on probation.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I hope McGregor fights Ragin' Al The Realtor. Would be fire and there's some previous there and allows McGregor to ease back in somewhat.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
In all honesty that's fair enough. Khabib should get the majority of the blame but that doesn't mean McGregor wasn't at fault either.

Frankly it could all have played out a lot worse for him given he's on probation.
Not sure what will come of all of this. Conor did throw at one of Khabib's team and Khabib did a flying kick dive into the audience.

I remember when Werdum kicked Edmund and only got off with a verbal warning.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
That won't matter as its not the fans and pundits who decide these things. The power brokers here are the UFC, who desperately need money, and Conor - whose promotional skills are are better than most other fighters combined. That's not to say it would happen immediately, but if Conor wants it and the UFC are willing to pay Khabib what he wants then it will happen very soon.
But what I am saying is promotional skills only matter when you are top dog which he no longer is. And ultimately it comes down to the UFC. In Ferguson and Khabib they have two potential characters and skilled fighters that certainly could be marketed just as compelling as Conor to the casual fan. They both have material for just as compelling stories. Of course Khabib has to reign in his more aggro tendencies for that to work

Tom Van Persie

No relation
So guy that punched Conor from behind wasn't even Zubaira or Islam it was Asadullah Emiragaev. Zubaira is in the black and he only landed one punch on Conor and Conor landed one on him aswell. No need for anyone getting cut.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
But what I am saying is promotional skills only matter when you are top dog which he no longer is. And ultimately it comes down to the UFC. In Ferguson and Khabib they have two potential characters and skilled fighters that certainly could be marketed just as compelling as Conor to the casual fan. They both have material for just as compelling stories. Of course Khabib has to reign in his more aggro tendencies for that to work
That's not the case. He wasn't top dog before he fought Aldo and yet was the UFC's top promoter. He then lost to Nate Diaz and his profile did nothing by grow, which was illustrated when Nate 2 got 1.6m PPVs (compared with 1.3m for Nate 1). So it doesn't matter whether he wins or loses, its his stature as a world famous athlete and the work he does in the actual promotional period of 2-3 months in the lead up to the fight. Win or lose, his profile continues to rise. If he lost twice in a row as when Rousey lost to Holm, then Nunes, then that might change things but so far that hasn't happened.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
But what I am saying is promotional skills only matter when you are top dog which he no longer is.
He's still top dog when it comes to ppv figures. No contest. Diaz Vs McGregor 3 will easily outsell a ppv headlined by Khabib Vs Tony although the latter will have been given a great boost after this past UFC.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Not sure what will come of all of this. Conor did throw at one of Khabib's team and Khabib did a flying kick dive into the audience.

I remember when Werdum kicked Edmund and only got off with a verbal warning.

I think Khabib's big problem is that they might view his actions as having put the audience at risk, which is quite different from Werdum or Daley type incidents. I mean even those punch-ups that happened outside probably wouldn't have occurred had the fight ended normally? It's a dangerous line to cross even if it worked out relatively okay this time.

Plus if you're having a rematch then surely you have to discipline them harshly enough at this point that things don't just escalate further next time? The total lack of accountability for bad behaviour is what led them to this point.

If it was up to me McGregor would be looking at a 6 month ban and Khabib a 12 month one.

Tom Van Persie

No relation

Fines for everyone involved is fair imo.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
I think Khabib's big problem is that they might view his actions as having put the audience at risk, which is quite different from Werdum or Daley type incidents. I mean even those punch-ups that happened outside probably wouldn't have occurred had the fight ended normally? It's a dangerous line to cross even if it worked out relatively okay this time.

Plus if you're having a rematch then surely you have to discipline them harshly enough at this point that things don't just escalate further next time? The total lack of accountability for bad behaviour is what led them to this point.

If it was up to me McGregor would be looking at a 6 month ban and Khabib a 12 month one.
Yeah I agree with that. Tbh tough it'll just push up the hype and buys for the rematch even more.

I would actually like to see the UFC punished by the NSAC because imo they're as responsible for this as anyone. They need the biggest fine.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Oh and people thinking that shit was bad have obviously never seen Lee Murray fight back in the day. There's riots and fights and then there's "riots".

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell

An aspect of the fight many are overlooking and a clear indication at the sheer desperation McGregor experienced in there against a true fighter. Count all those fouls! :lol:

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
He's still top dog when it comes to ppv figures. No contest. Diaz Vs McGregor 3 will easily outsell a ppv headlined by Khabib Vs Tony although the latter will have been given a great boost after this past UFC.
I disagree. In fact, I'd even bet against it

Tom Van Persie

No relation

An aspect of the fight many are overlooking and a clear indication at the sheer desperation McGregor experienced in there against a true fighter. Count all those fouls! :lol:
That knee to the head came after Khabib started to talk to Dana. :lol:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Oh and people thinking that shit was bad have obviously never seen Lee Murray fight back in the day. There's riots and fights and then there's "riots".
Helwani posted this earlier as an example of how bad things can get:

Not for nothing, if something like that happened in the UFC it would be used as a stick to beat MMA with for years.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Helwani posted this earlier as an example of how bad things can get:

Not for nothing, if something like that happened in the UFC it would be used as a stick to beat MMA with for years.
"Don't do it son. It's going to be alright. They are going to cool it out." :lol:

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Nah. At that level casual fans sell PPVs and casual fans will buy McGregor v Diaz III more.
Like I said let's wait and see. From what I'm hearing there is a lot of growing hype for Ferguson and Khabib and no one's talking about Conor. Maybe I'm just seeing more Ferguson and Khabib fans in interactions but for example even the liquor store owner near me was just all talk about Ferguson and Khabib.
I mean does anyone in this thread care more about Conor-Diaz 3 than Khabib-Ferguson? If Poirier beats Diaz, that Conor-Diaz 3 will really feel like a third tier fight.

Eire Red United

Yeah but losing to Diaz was different.

He said the last minute change of opponent, the higher weight class and all that jazz is why he lost.

In this case, there can be no excuses. He got mauled by a far superior fighter.
He did, but he is definitely not at his best, prime McGregor would give Khabib a good rattle imo, I’m not defending him before I get called a “butthurt fan boy” but he hasn’t fought in the UFC in two years and spent an awful lot of that time “misbehaving” shall we say. I’m not gonna say Conor is finished, but if I was him I’d have been nowhere near that Khabib fight in the first place, easier money to be made elsewhere, ffs the man could be in a hollywood film or go fight Mayweather again and make far more than he did getting beat round that cage.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Like I said let's wait and see. From what I'm hearing there is a lot of growing hype for Ferguson and Khabib and no one's talking about Conor. Maybe I'm just seeing more Ferguson and Khabib fans in interactions but for example even the liquor store owner near me was just all talk about Ferguson and Khabib.
I mean does anyone in this thread care more about Conor-Diaz 3 than Khabib-Ferguson? If Poirier beats Diaz, that Conor-Diaz 3 will really feel like a third tier fight.
If you're in this thread regularly you're probably not the sort of casual fan who inflates those big ppv numbers though?

I mean I hope I'm wrong, the UFC need new stars and there's zero doubt which is actually the better fight.

Eire Red United

I dunno. If this had been peak McGregor could he have done damage in that third round? Khabib was definitely there to be hit.

For that to work he would have to have been at his very best though, not coming of a two year burnout.

Listening to Kavanagh I think if he had those first three rounds again he'd play them in exactly the same way, he'd just focus more on their offence for that third round.

Basically though any rematch would require McGregor to pull a Rocky III on it and totally change the focus of his lifestyle. Does he even want it that badly?
Strange that you come out with that Rocky reference, I was just thinking the exact same thing today.:lol: I’d like to think that McGregors pride and ego won’t let him take that humiliation he got lying down and he can’t claim to be lightweight champion anymore which will hurt him. It would be a good fight if McGregor wised himself up for a year and really went for the Khabib fight, not even for money but for his legacy.

stevoc

That he's past his peak physically was evident from Saturday. Just from looking at social media, his star power is definitely waning after that. He still probably has one or two fights where he would be a decent draw but he is done setting records IMO. People thought he would be much better on Saturday than he was. He looked past it. He's lost 3 of his last 5 fights in three years. That's not the record of someone who will keep pulling in the top numbers.
Are you including the boxing match against Floyd in that?

Plus you can't tell if someones past it based on one fight, he's had a 2 year lay-off when previously he was very active fighting 2-3 times every year. He looked rusty on saturday, he would need another 1-2 fights to get back to his best after such a long break from the sport.

Last edited:

Name Changed

weso26
Tbf he didn't say "in here" but there undoubtedly are some. Quite amusing to look back a few pages and see comments like "Khabib has no chance on the feet" and my favourite "I don't see how (McGregor) doesn't ko him in round one".
I haven't got that far back yet!!!

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
The Ferguson Pettis fight was pretty sweet, so annoyed that he broke his hand, would love to see the full fight.
Sad that that epic fight is forgotten because of what happened after the main event.

Maxin

I come to your team n I feck things up, I'm Moyes
That won't matter as its not the fans and pundits who decide these things. The power brokers here are the UFC, who desperately need money, and Conor - whose promotional skills are are better than most other fighters combined. That's not to say it would happen immediately, but if Conor wants it and the UFC are willing to pay Khabib what he wants then it will happen very soon.
What if Conor starts to promote fights instead of fighting? Win win for all!

How much racism is it in dillon danis words: “you Muslim rat”. Apparently that was what he said to Khabib.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Are you including the boxing match against Floyd in that?

Plus you can't tell if someones past it based on one fight, he's had a 2 year lay-off when previously he was very active fighting 2-3 times every year. He looked rusty on saturday, he would need another 1-2 fights to get back to his best after such a long break from the sport.
Yes. It counts for me even if Conor wasn't expected to win. And I fully realize that some athletes are in their prime at 30 and can get back into peak condition. But what I question is Conor's dedication to actually do that. For a football analogy, I see Conor as more Ronaldinho than Cristiano if that makes sense.