g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainoldo

DDG got him 2nd let's be honest any another goal keeper and we would've been 4th/5th or lower
Good think Liverpool had Mo Salah they probably would have finished 6th which would have technically meant we would have still made 4th? Isn’t this how this works?

AndyJ1985

It feels like this club is on life support and these fluky late wins do nothing but prolong the suffering.

KristianMackle

Oh for the love of christ, who gives a flying fcuk!!!???
If i took that line out, my point still stands.

I guess the majority in this thread have long made their decision but the fact that you want him out doesn't mean you lose objectivity.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
When he was younger, yes, but they were happy to sell him once they saw he was on the wane. I just don;t get what argument you are making here.
I’m not making any argument really. But I was told no other club in the top 8 would sign Matic - inferring he was isn’t/wasn’t top 8 quality. But he clearly was if Chelsea signed him, not once but twice. Whatever you think about him these days (I personally don’t want him to start for us) you can’t deny that he has been an excellent player for teams with title winning ambition. He was probably the best midfielder in the league in Chelsea’s 2014/15 title winning season.

Boycott

I saw Tottenham rip Chelsea apart from start to finish with some kid called Foyth at the back while Vertonghen watched on from the bench. That performance dispels the myth that Mourinho can't set the team up to play on the front foot without ready made ball playing defenders.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I have to say that as much as I would like Mourinho to walk, hes under a constant barrage of criticism from pundits and ex-United for little things like reacting after a miss. Its uncalled for and its embarrassing.

The man somehow got us to second place last year but apparently even the way he walks is a call for dismissal.

I get punditry but this is bordering on offensive and total disrespect at this point.

I find myself in the strange position of having to defend Mourinho but some of these pundits just say things because there's a camera on them.
:lol: A modern miracle worker to be sure.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I’m not making any argument really. But I was told no other club in the top 8 would sign Matic - inferring he was isn’t/wasn’t top 8 quality. But he clearly was if Chelsea signed him, not once but twice. Whatever you think about him these days (I personally don’t want him to start for us) you can’t deny that he has been an excellent player for teams with title winning ambition. He was probably the best midfielder in the league in Chelsea’s 2014/15 title winning season.
I give up

Minimalist

:lol: A modern miracle worker to be sure.
Transfers:
~£150m + in his first season (never mind Zlatan wages). Finished fecking 6th. World Record for Pogba.
~£150m + again in the second season. Finished 2nd.

Meanwhile Liverpool spent about half that over the same two seasons, including selling one of the best players (Coutinho). Spurs pretty similar (including a big sale of Walker to City). In fact the only team other than City that spent a ton of money is Chelsea but they sold big players for big money as well (Costa, Oscar, Matic to us).

The only big transfer we made outward was Miki, a bloody Mourinho buy in the first place, in exchange for Sanchez.

So as you say, he was really working miracles wasn't he? Imagine if they really backed him eh?!!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Are we doing the thing whereby any success the club had is not because of the manager but all the failures are down to him alone?
Ok got it.
You call being 16 points off 1 of our closest rivals a success?

We only got 2nd as Liverpool gave up with the league for CL, Tottenham were knackered and fell apart. Arsenal had Wenger and Chelsea issues with Conte.

Now those other 3 clubs have sorted their issues we look where we should have finished up. We lucked our way into 2nd last year, that won't happen this time.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Mourinho would make a great politician.

IIRC I've never been critical of Mourinho prior to this summer. He worked out he had no chance of beating City and Liverpool. You didn't need to be a genius. He started a circus criticising the board for lack of transfers, players and even the USA tour organisers. That was his genius mind to deflect blame from himself and preserve his reputation.

CM

I have to say that as much as I would like Mourinho to walk, hes under a constant barrage of criticism from pundits and ex-United for little things like reacting after a miss. Its uncalled for and its embarrassing.

The man somehow got us to second place last year but apparently even the way he walks is a call for dismissal.

I get punditry but this is bordering on offensive and total disrespect at this point.

I find myself in the strange position of having to defend Mourinho but some of these pundits just say things because there's a camera on them.
He might be given the benefit of the doubt if he wasn't the most self-serving figure in world football. Most managers use their press conferences to build their players up and boost confidence but he has the opposite effect.

Rashford's miss was frustrating but it was 4 minutes into the game, that kind of reaction wasn't really warranted. It just felt like yet another instance of him looking to complain about the terrible hand he's been dealt.

Kapardin

We only got 2nd as Liverpool gave up with the league for CL, Tottenham were knackered and fell apart. Arsenal had Wenger and Chelsea issues with Conte.

Now those other 3 clubs have sorted their issues we look where we should have finished up. We lucked our way into 2nd last year, that won't happen this time.
Kept saying this but the Jose-In guys just refused to let it sink in. 2nd was an anomaly much like 1st was for Leicester.

Vinnie Peetang

Everyday, I get more and more embarrassed. Not by Jose, but by our Manchester United fanbase. Here we are, qualifying with a game to spare. What should be a very proud moment in this season. And all these moaning fans thinks we are above all that. That we shouldn't celebrate a last minute victory.

Why? Why is this last-minute victory any different from the Juventus one? Or any different from Fergie's last minute victories? It's a WIN. Our day of glory. Managed by a trophy-laden manager who knows how to win. Totally embarassing. We're lucky Jose sticks with us, with this toxic fanbase. Any other manager would not stand a chance, not Guardiola, not Allegri. Not even Fergie.

Last edited by a moderator:

KristianMackle

I havent specifically mentioned any cases of success, I was speaking in general terms but yea this is the wrong thread for me.

KristianMackle

He might be given the benefit of the doubt if he wasn't the most self-serving figure in world football. Most managers use their press conferences to build their players up and boost confidence but he has the opposite effect.

Rashford's miss was frustrating but it was 4 minutes into the game, that kind of reaction wasn't really warranted. It just felt like yet another instance of him looking to complain about the terrible hand he's been dealt.
If Rashford scores that, it might have changed the whole game and we'd be singing a different tune but as it happened, he didnt and we laboured our way to victory and that is Mourinho's fault.

Those are the kinds of chances that can determine whether a manager has a job the next day especially one under fire from everywhere and everyone.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
As much as I want the cnut out of the club, equally the 333 Caftards who voted 'No' to his sacking should be named and shamed and banned from here.

Utterly shocking!
Although I believe he should be sacked I don't mind opposing views. But some, I do believe, of them display a complete lack of logic in arriving at their views. I don't mind someone putting their hand up stating that they believe in him because he's been a great manager. But twisting truths to suit your agenda is what people find both alarming and amusing. There's faith (excess or not) and then there's delusion/obsession.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think PS and RF had summarise my thoughts exactly

Suedesi

I still think he is the best the league still, maybe he has some ego, but which manager with tons of trophies don't ? give him another 3 years to prove himself. If he doesn't turn good, at least he is funny and give us tons of entertainment each press conf.
WUM

Robbie Boy

Although I believe he should be sacked I don't mind opposing views. But some, I do believe, of them display a complete lack of logic in arriving at their views. I don't mind someone putting their hand up stating that they believe in him because he's been a great manager. But twisting truths to suit your agenda is what people find both alarming and amusing. There's faith (excess or not) and then there's delusion/obsession.
I'm not even exaggerating here, I have come across literally one good poster in here that wanted him to stay (not sure if he still does). The rest are just ridiculously bias and come up with some utterly insane logic.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I havent specifically mentioned any cases of success, I was speaking in general terms but yea this is the wrong thread for me.
Jose deserves credit for the EL win and the league cup, but he was much more positive back then and things seemed happier.

Since he signed his new deal last January it's all gone badly wrong. I have no faith in him turning it around, and his history has no signs of being able to either.

He's a short term fixer, but he's failed on this job.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
This shit is doing the rounds, by the Jose apologists:

What they fail to mention is that SAF is angry because he knows Ronaldo is much better than that & has let himself down with a poor shot.

Jose is doing a 'I knew you were shit and you just proved it' shake of the head.

Minimalist

What they fail to mention is that SAF is angry because he knows Ronaldo is much better than that & has let himself down with a poor shot.

Jose is doing a 'I knew you were shit and you just proved it' shake of the head.
Obviously no way to know for sure but there's also Rooney on the left wide open to pass in to and he takes the shot on anyway. Could easily be what Fergie's flipping out over (given Ronaldo's issues with decision making at times).

Red00012

Does he have a clause in his contract to get CL football ? And what are consequences if not achieved ?

SirAF

Ageist
Does he have a clause in his contract to get CL football ? And what are consequences if not achieved ?
We don't know that, but most LIKELY that is the case. It means that his payoff will be less when sacked if he can't deliver CL football.

MoskvaRed

We don’t know is the honest answer but, based on what happened with Moyes and LVG, it’s reasonable to assume there is such a clause and it allows United to dismiss him without paying out the entire term of his contract.

LoveFootball

I want him out, but its' a bit over the top to refer to a highly decorated manager as a fraud, even if you are only taking his current job into account.

Mourinho did not fraud his way to anything. He came, he genuinely tried, he failed and now he's deflecting, that's all.
Calling Jose a fraud is so hilariously small time and simply wrong? I get the anger, but seriously.
There's a reason why many fans of football around the world don't like him, most fans don't want him near their clubs, it's because they consider his style as the exact opposite of what football is about. I'm sorry football is about entertainment; you entertain fan by the way you play which is rewarded by a trophy. Of course the main goal of football is to win but you do this in an entertaining way to please the fans, because without them football would be another board games you play to have a fun moment with friends and relatives. In short winning in entertaining way is the main purpose of professional football; Mourinho was doing the exact opposite of this and sooner or later he'd have been exposed.

If he wasn't a fraud before, then he's became one here at United because this team don't look like they coached by someone. we look disjointed and devoid of ideas. We're good at nothing, or maybe the right sentence should be "we are worse at everything".

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I agree.

I genuinely can't see a reason why people would still want him here?

Made good transfers? Nope.
Play good football? Nope.
Get good results? Nope.
Get players performing? Nope.
Act well to the media? Nope.
Show signs of progression? Nope.

Seriously, what's he done that still makes people want him here? Even if you bring the argument into it about the Glazer's not supporting him or our squad not being good enough when he got here or whatever it still doesn't hold up at all. It's absolutely baffling. People are genuinely happy to watch us play tumescent football and see us decline even further because of some blinding love for the man based on his past glories.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Are we doing the thing whereby any success the club had is not because of the manager but all the failures are down to him alone?
Ok got it.
no we aren't, nobody critcized Mourinho for our league showing last year, he did well, most agreed he deserved another season on the back of it.

But it wasn't exactly a great achievement. We were second favourites for the title and we finished .. second, nearly 20 points behind the leaders. He basically achieved what was at the start considered a pretty acceptable season. Big fecking whoop. In your eyes he 'somehow' got us to second place last season despite just about everyone saying that we should have gotten second place at a minimum.

He got his third season off the back of it and has completely failed in every single way to build on it and justify it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

He'd under barrage of criticism because he deserves it. This Manchester United, arguably the most famous football club in the world, and if not, among the top 2-3. Anyone failing as manager of this club is going to be under the microscope. It come with the job.

Also, if we really want to talk about respect, Mourinho is someone who has over the course of his career displayed very little of it. People like him who go around pissing everyone off are going to get it worse when they're down. Not to mention that pundits supposed bad behaviour doesn't been compare to his own comments as manager often about his own team and club.

haram

"We don't score enough goals but is not about Marcus," Mourinho said. "Is about us as a team, is very difficult for us to score goals. But Marcus makes the movements, makes the runs, works hard when the team has the ball and doesn't have the ball."

"And I can never, never blame a player because of missing chances. Can I have on the touchline, where not a lot of the ones that comment [on] football, they were there? Not many of them were there, can myself or another manager have a reaction of frustration? I would invite that people to sit on the bench as managers.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Mourinho would make a great politician.

IIRC I've never been critical of Mourinho prior to this summer. He worked out he had no chance of beating City and Liverpool. You didn't need to be a genius. He started a circus criticising the board for lack of transfers, players and even the USA tour organisers. That was his genius mind to deflect blame from himself and preserve his reputation.
Considering what happened at Chelsea, very few will fall for it.

I think this is likely to be his last big job. Unless Inter want him again. None of the big English teams would want him as their manager so that's it for him in England. I honestly doubt Real are in for him. He has far too many enemies in that city. Ramos the current captain hates him..He is hated by everyone at Barca.

SirAF

Ageist
"We don't score enough goals but is not about Marcus," Mourinho said. "Is about us as a team, is very difficult for us to score goals. But Marcus makes the movements, makes the runs, works hard when the team has the ball and doesn't have the ball."

"And I can never, never blame a player because of missing chances. Can I have on the touchline, where not a lot of the ones that comment [on] football, they were there? Not many of them were there, can myself or another manager have a reaction of frustration? I would invite that people to sit on the bench as managers.
To be fair, that's a good answer.

Aloysius's Back 3

He'd under barrage of criticism because he deserves it. This Manchester United, arguably the most famous football club in the world, and if not, among the top 2-3. Anyone failing as manager of this club is going to be under the microscope. It come with the job.

Also, if we really want to talk about respect, Mourinho is someone who has over the course of his career displayed very little of it. People like him who go around pissing everyone off are going to get it worse when they're down. Not to mention that pundits supposed bad behaviour doesn't been compare to his own comments as manager often about his own team and club.
He is under a barriage of critism from the public because he uses the public for his own critism purposes of the player and the club in general. It's merely Karma.

Status
Not open for further replies.