The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andersons Dietician

This season is a write off. Just give to someone as an "interview" and if they can do well give them a proper season.
But realistically what genuine manager is going to agree to do 6 months on trial, the answer is most likely none. We either write off this season and put the guys I suggested in or give it to a Zidane, Jardim, Blanc or the likes on a proper contract.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Mourinho makes the concept of attacking football sound like some unrealistic utopia.
I have to agree with this.
The way Jose goes on, a team needs Ronaldo, Messi and Suarez, all the pitch at the same time, to have a chance of putting together an attacking move.

Some have said to give it Carrick/McKenna - neither of these two have covered themselves in glory. We know that Rui Faria is a master of defence, but since he left, C&M seem to have been disastrous.
When Jose is replaced, I hope that C&M are also replaced. These two simply are not ready to be coaches/assistant managers at MUFC.

Hopefully the new manager will bring his own backroom staff, because at present, our backroom staff are a complete disaster.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
And they got Lacazette in the same season we got Lukaku. Would take both Auba and Laca over Lukaku.
If Lukaku was bought by AFC and we got Auba and Laca, the latter 2 would be underpinning and we'd be asking the question why we did not buy the proven goalscorer - Lukaku.
For what ever reason, all staff (players, manager, coaches, etc), under perform at MUFC and I have no idea why.

imonkmc

Problem is Jose as well as the board, either fire Jose or back him completely, the players who aren't playing for Jose should be sacked if he is backed 100%. The confusion is just killing the football.

Backrow Singer

I don’t think there are many supporters who are solely blaming Mourinho. It’s not just Mourinho, it’s the players, it’s the board, they’re all partly to blame. I think 95% + understand that’s the case. We all wanted him to do well, we all want him to do well, we all want the football club to do well.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: if he put some technical ability in the team, we offered a bit more going forward and we still lost the game, I’d be disappointed but I’d hold my hands up and say fair play, he’s trying something different. If he put Mata, Fred, Pereira, Martial etc in on Wednesday and we lost, I’d go with it. I’m morning saying those lads are world beaters but you’ve got to try. When I see the likes of Lingard, Young, Felaini, Lukaku etc in the starting team, questions have to be asked. I’m not saying those lads are bad players, Felaini off the bench is always an option for us but they’re not consistant enough at the minute and don’t deserve to play, in my opinion.

We’ve got issues defensively, that’s not a debate. But we aren’t winning games playing as we are at the minute. If we were winning games, I’d say fair enough but we’re losing so many points against teams that really aren’t all that great. If you don’t throw any punches, you can’t win a fight.

As I say, it’s not just Mourinho but team selection is everything and you’ve got to try and make the best of the players you’ve got.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I don’t think there are many supporters who are solely blaming Mourinho. It’s not just Mourinho, it’s the players, it’s the board, they’re all partly to blame. I think 95% + understand that’s the case. We all wanted him to do well, we all want him to do well, we all want the football club to do well.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: if he put some technical ability in the team, we offered a bit more going forward and we still lost the game, I’d be disappointed but I’d hold my hands up and say fair play, he’s trying something different. If he put Mata, Fred, Pereira, Martial etc in on Wednesday and we lost, I’d go with it. When I see the likes of Lingard, Young, Felaini, Lukaku etc in the starting team, questions have to be asked. I’m not saying those lads are bad players, Felaini off the bench is always an option for us but they’re not consistant enough at the minute and don’t deserve to play, in my opinion.

We’ve got issues defensively, that’s not a debate. But we aren’t winning games playing as we are at the minute. If we were winning games, I’d say fair enough but we’re losing so many points against teams that really aren’t all that great. If you don’t throw any punches, you can’t win a fight.

As I say, it’s not just Mourinho but team selection is everything and you’ve got to try and make the best of the players you’ve got.
Last year was tolerated as despite some garbage football we were riding high in 2nd.
That Sevilla game seemed to be some sort of negative turning point though, and since then it's been even worse.

This season is unsustainable, as we've lost the only positive - the results, and to be 7th in December, with a negative goal difference should be more shocking than a lot of us are treating it - we've been numbed.

Wayne's World

Look at the progress Arsenal have made under Emery. New lease of life and the club are on the upturn while we are in a huge crisis

No big club in the world would act like we are doing....we aren't a big club anymore unless we start to act like one and get rid of half them useless gits along with the manager

buckooo1978

just plant some cocaine in his desk at Carrington, call the cops and get rid of the charleton for free

Acquire Me

The state of our beautiful club. The board is just not good enough. Our sponsors will not hang out forever. Thats a fact.

Fridge chutney

There was one guy on here who kept going on about wanting to see what we do with the next fixtures after city and he was confident we would do well. Anyone remember the name?

Hiya.
His name was Kevin, nostradamus of football.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Look at the progress Arsenal have made under Emery. New lease of life and the club are on the upturn while we are in a huge crisis

No big club in the world would act like we are doing....we aren't a big club anymore unless we start to act like one and get rid of half them useless gits along with the manager
Remember the ‘massive decline’ arsenal were going to be in post-wenger?
Emery’s come in, spent bugger all (comparatively) and they’re on a massive upswing. It clearly doesn’t take years and 400M+ to improve on what you’ve got

Idxomer

Problem is Jose as well as the board, either fire Jose or back him completely, the players who aren't playing for Jose should be sacked if he is backed 100%. The confusion is just killing the football.
We're way past the either phase.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Last year was tolerated as despite some garbage football we were riding high in 2nd.
That Sevilla game seemed to be some sort of negative turning point though, and since then it's been even worse.

This season is unsustainable, as we've lost the only positive - the results, and to be 7th in December, with a negative goal difference should be more shocking than a lot of us are treating it - we've been numbed.
If I remember correctly last season was based on unusual shot conversion rates in attack and defense. This is the type of things that you don't want because they are not replicable.

Jev

If I remember correctly last season was based on unusual shot conversion rates in attack and defense. This is the type of things that you don't want because they are not replicable.
Exactly. And many of us we're saying that last season. We scored way more than our chance-creation merited and conceded less than we should because of DDG. It was obvious that it was unsustainable and that despite the results, we were not moving in a clear, promising direction. But I still remember being chastised at the start of the season for saying Spurs and Liverpool had more reasons for optimism going into the season.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
Just about sums it up for me...

I will play devil's advocate here for a second.
  1. Stats are for people who don't understand football.
  2. Stats can't quantify some important aspects of football like:
    • How injured a player still is when he comes back early from injury to prove manliness, courage, and dedication to the cause.
    • Mad Dogginess
  3. Matic would be playing better had we backed Mourinho and bought a new CB(s) to play behind him.
how do people actually believe this crap

Sparky Rhiwabon

Why do the Board have so much patience with these failed managers when it’s clear to everyone else that we need to move on and quickly.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
This season is a write off. Just give to someone as an "interview" and if they can do well give them a proper season.
I remember saying the season was already over when we lost vs Derby. One poster laughed at me and it was impossible to make him understand that the team, under this manager, was never gonna turn things around.
I wonder what that poster is thinking now

dove

Why do the Board have so much patience with these failed managers when it’s clear to everyone else that we need to move on and quickly.
It's been said many times already, it's clearly just down to money, saving £10m or so. We are not a football club since mid 2000s.

Sparky Rhiwabon

It's been said many times already, it's clearly just down to money, saving £10m or so. We are not a football club since mid 2000s.
I can only assume it’s money, ie less of a buy out once top 4 is mathematically impossible.

In every other way, it seems obvious that Jose is doing what he did at Chelsea in his last season there, and we should get a new manager in now so they can have the January window and at least have a go at finishing top four.

CA1

I remember saying the season was already over when we lost vs Derby. One poster laughed at me and it was impossible to make him understand that the team, under this manager, was never gonna turn things around.
I wonder what that poster is thinking now
I'll raise you and say I knew it was over before a ball was kicked.

The manager was undermined and the players were always going to drop the ball.

reddevil80

They are wanting to save face, plus they don't want to give the useless guff a huge payout UNTIL 4th is mathematically impossible. Don't forget, we're also still in the UCL and that brings so much money, JM will be kept on until we're out of that too.

Backrow Singer

Can’t disagree mate.

I just can’t see what he’s trying to do, I don’t see any real plan. It feels like he’s picking players out of a hat, we’re playing Arsenal in a couple of days and i have absolutly no idea what his team will be. His midfield and attack could be anything, random players just pop up in those positions each game, there’s no consistency, no understanding. I don’t think we have a best team. He’s saying the right thing in his press conferences but he’s picked Pogba, Felaini and Hererra in midfield, Young as one full back, Lukaku and Rashford up front and he’s wondering why we can’t keep hold of the ball. It was blatantly obvious that we would struggle to build a transition after seeing the team.

A massive, massive concern for me though is lack of leadership amongst the players. It sticks out like a sore thumb. Ibrahimavic and Rooney have gone and there doesn’t look to be anyone booting the players up the arse. They just accept it, they all get on with it, they’re happy to lose. Ashley Young wearing a captains armband for Manchester United says it all.

He’s got to show some fight with his team selection, he’s got to pick players who will give it a go.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Can’t disagree mate.

I just can’t see what he’s trying to do, I don’t see any real plan. It feels like he’s picking players out of a hat, we’re playing Arsenal in a couple of days and i have absolutly no idea what his team will be. His midfield and attack could be anything, random players just pop up in those positions each game, there’s no consistency, no understanding. I don’t think we have a best team. He’s saying the right thing in his press conferences but he’s picked Pogba, Felaini and Hererra in midfield, Young as one full back, Lukaku and Rashford up front and he’s wondering why we can’t keep hold of the ball. It was blatantly obvious that we would struggle to build a transition after seeing the team.

A massive, massive concern for me though is lack of leadership amongst the players. It sticks out like a sore thumb. Ibrahimavic and Rooney have gone and there doesn’t look to be anyone booting the players up the arse. They just accept it, they all get on with it, they’re happy to lose. Ashley Young wearing a captains armband for Manchester United says it all.

He’s got to show some fight with his team selection, he’s got to pick players who will give it a go.
It just looks an utter mess all round.
Players bought for their name rather than being the best fit for a position.

Buying a Lukaku when he generally likes a target man, and then trying to use him as one when he isn't.
Buying strange choice centre backs, so that we still end up relying on Jones and Smalling every year
Refusing to deal with the full back situation. Sort of getting lucky Shaw has worked so hard to get back in, but the other side looks a mess still.

Fellaini has to be used as some sort of fix to both the weak centre back situation, and also to Lukaku not being a target man.
Fred looks an utterly bizarre signing.

Pogba is obviously our best out fielder by a mile, but has way too much to do, so ends up taking too much time on the ball and acting like it's the Pogba show.

Herrera can barely get a look in despite being really good the other season, whereas Matic has quickly dropped off, and can't lose his place.

It's obvious we need an attacking manager who has a clear strategy, and builds towards that. Star names like Sanchez are exciting, but they have to fit the style, or as we're seeing it's a waste of time.

We're well into his last season now, it's just how quickly top 4 becomes impossible. February I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.