Gaming The Outer Worlds | 25th October release date

Runner

The Outer Worlds was just announced by Obsidian. Looks great.

Last edited:

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
The Outer Worlds was just announced by Obsidian. Looks great. Didn't want to make another thread as some of you might not see it.

Well, a new thread would be better, considering how it doesn't belong here at all :D

Bojan11

I have a terrible track record with threads. I think my average reply is 1 post. :lol:
Man up and create it. This is your chance to shine. Could be next big brand new IP and could be your baby.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
The Outer Worlds was just announced by Obsidian. Looks great. Didn't want to make another thread as some of you might not see it.

Tbf, this does look good. I'm glad Obsidian are back (it's ridiculous that a single point on a Metacritic score helped almost bankrupt a company and lay off employees). New Vegas is, IMO, the best Fallout game to date and should have sold way more than it did. Tyranny & the PoE games are fantastic. PoE sold ok, but Tyranny didn't sell anywhere near the number of copies that such a fantastic and unique game deserved.

I have high hopes for TOW- I wonder if this is the result of continuously being denied the chance to make another Fallout? All that said though, you're right in that it really doesn't belong in here.

Ainu

Looks a bit like a cross between Fallout, Borderlands and No Man's Sky. Considering the developer, interesting stuff.

Kaos

Was just about to post this, looks like a nostalgic throwback to the New Vegas style of RPG with real dialogue choices and a silent open ended protagonist.

Also noticed the (not so) subtle digs at Bethesda:
“From the original creators of Fallout and Fallout New Vegas” - ie the fallout games that werent shit.

“You know you didn’t have to shoot any of them, but hey you do you” - we actually have proper choices in our games.

“Available on ps4, Xbox one and STEAM” - ie we don’t force you to use our shitty game launcher.

Not to mention how impeccable their timing was with revealing this game, Bethesda rep at an all time low and then you have Obsidian drop what looks like the Fallout game we all wanted (with some starfield elements) :lol:

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
That looks interesting. Microsoft chose a good time to purchase Obsidian as now any sequels will be Xbox console exclusive and if the first game is good, it might persuade a few PS4 owners to jump ship.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Did this really need a new thread? White text obviously

Looks interesting.
Borderlands style, I can live with
Open world? Hopefully
Spacey theme? Never a big fan, but I'd give it a chance

Revan

Assumptionman
That looks interesting. Microsoft chose a good time to purchase Obsidian as now any sequels will be Xbox console exclusive and if the first game is good, it might persuade a few PS4 owners to jump ship.
Haven't a lot of important people (like Avellone for example) that were leading Obsidian (and before it Red Isle) already left Obsidian? Not sure how much the MS Obsidian will have in common with the old one? I guess a bit like EA BioWare which nowadays only shares the name with the company a lot of people loved.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
:lol:

Best thing about the reveal teaser: "You know you didn't have to shoot either of them, right?" A nice 'in your face!' to Bethesda :D
There were a few little digs - like the door not fully opening at 1:45 as well. There really couldn't have been a better time to release a trailer after Fallout 76, canvas bags and now the personal details of customers being leaked.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Haven't a lot of important people (like Avellone for example) that were leading Obsidian (and before it Red Isle) already left Obsidian? Not sure how much the MS Obsidian will have in common with the old one? I guess a bit like EA BioWare which nowadays only shares the name with the company a lot of people loved.
Avellone wasn't leading Obsidian, he was an important character writer on KotOR II and New Vegas, though. (The company was called Black Isle, besides. Black Isle - black volcanic stuff/Obsidian.) There obviously were lots of issues between Avellone and Obsidian before the split, some of which are surely due to his personality. Still sad that he won't create another Kreia for an Obsidian game.
But the good thing is, with Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarski two more veterans from Fallout and later Troika games (Arcanum, VTMB) are now at Obsidian, and The Outer Worlds is their project.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
:lol:

Best thing about the reveal teaser: "You know you didn't have to shoot either of them, right?" A nice 'in your face!' to Bethesda :D
I thought the 'Try not to break it' was more aimed at Bethesda to be honest
Maybe I didn't understand the other reference as much

Revan

Assumptionman
Avellone wasn't leading Obsidian, he was an important character writer on KotOR II and New Vegas, though. (The company was called Black Isle, besides. Black Isle - black volcanic stuff/Obsidian.) There obviously were lots of issues between Avellone and Obsidian before the split, some of which are surely due to his personality. Still sad that he won't create another Kreia for an Obsidian game.
But the good thing is, with Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarski two more veterans from Fallout and later Troika games (Arcanum, VTMB) are now at Obsidian, and The Outer Worlds is their project.
I know that he wasn't leading in the sense of being CEO, but he was an important person in the company. He was lead writer on KOTOR 2, lead writer and designer in Planescape: Torment (which is a very good candidate for the best ever writing in a video game) and senior writer/designer in many of their games, project lead in Fallout Vegas DLC, and so on.

I think that some other important figures left Obsidian.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
This one I'll check out when it comes.
Just need to finish Nier: Automata and a few other games first. :D

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The good thing about Microsoft exclusives is they usually come to PC too.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Not their big ones. Halo, Gears, Forza etc.
The latest Gears was released on PC.

Halo in the past has come out on PC eventually.

Forza is a driving game so the PC market wouldn't be big for it.

Why would MS kick themselves in the foot by not releasing their titles on their own platform which has a far greater global reach than Xbox?

Kaos

They’re using the unreal engine for this right? Would be interesting to see how much more stable and less buggy the game might be now that they’re not forced to use Bethesda’s awful, ancient gamebryo engine.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Yeah, MS track record with developers they've bought is hardly stellar. *cough*Rare*cough* But that doesn't seem stop people believing they've finally turned the corner and will ever actually get it right.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Yeah, MS track record with developers they've bought is hardly stellar. *cough*Rare*cough* But that doesn't seem stop people believing they've finally turned the corner and will ever actually get it right.
TOW is not a MS project though, it predates the acquisition by at least a year.

SmashedHombre

Well Obsidian have a history of being screwed over by bigger developers and never getting the chance to release the project they envision. KOTOR 2 and Fallout NV were both rushed out by LucasArts and Bethesda respectively. A lot of peopl feel that Bethesda actually sabotaged Obsidian with the New Vegas release by cutting their development time and forcibly delaying the patch that would have fixed a lot of the problems, thus ensuring New Vegas got an 8.4 metacritic score, not the 8.5 it needed for Obsidian to receive a bonus from Bethesda. It's a bit of a leap IMO, but even so.

From what I've heard Microsoft have given Obsidian a lot of free rein. Something along the lines of "here's a vault full of cash, let's see what you can do." Perhaps MS have learned from their past mistakes. It's unlikely, but you never know!

Siorac

feck me, I went ahead and checked it and it's real, he really did tweet that :lol:

A shame he's not part of it anymore, would have loved to see Avellone's writing in this game. Still looking forward to it though.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
You had me at Obsidian.
Same, but i really love that it's scifi again for a change.
Yup & yup. Pillars of Eternity has been such a beautiful nostalgia trip for me, so I'm really looking forward to what they can do with a different theme.

(I think modern Fallout games are pretty trash, but hey, I trust Obsidian >.<)

SmashedHombre

Yup & yup. Pillars of Eternity has been such a beautiful nostalgia trip for me, so I'm really looking forward to what they can do with a different theme.

(I think modern Fallout games are pretty trash, but hey, I trust Obsidian >.<)
Have you played Tyranny? I honestly felt it was better than both Pillars games.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
feck me, I went ahead and checked it and it's real, he really did tweet that :lol:

A shame he's not part of it anymore, would have loved to see Avellone's writing in this game. Still looking forward to it though.
Totally. It also means I'll never get the KotOR III I want. :(

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Does look good and NV was the best Fallout but I'm worried it's just gonna be the same mechanics in a different setting.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Have you played Tyranny? I honestly felt it was better than both Pillars games.
Never got around to it. I know I should, but after PoE2 came out, I was eyeing up my backlog, and went full-on JRPG/VN mode instead.

Kaos

Does look good and NV was the best Fallout but I'm worried it's just gonna be the same mechanics in a different setting.
I’d take an updated Fallout NV with the same mechanics in a different setting over any of the steaming turds Bethesda crap out lately.

Kaos

Totally. It also means I'll never get the KotOR III I want. :(
The reason we won’t get Kotor III is Disney/EA. If they can’t make a Star Wars game online only and slap it with microtransactions then they won’t bother. Look at what happened to Star Wars 1313.