The RedCafe Boxing Thread

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
That's pretty outrageous. Even people tuning in for the first time to a boxing match probably would have picked Catterall never mind experienced judges. Now we know why they were happy to put up all 4 belts for the fight.

cyberman

A knockdown, a points deduction and was outlanded by 2 to 1 and a judge gives him 114-111!

Deery

Dreary
Taylor was knocked down and a point deduction, be interesting to see how two judges had him a round up.

Abraxas

It felt a very strong possibility before it was announced. I thought 50/50 that he'd get robbed. Happens too often in boxing to be shocked.

Deery

Dreary
It does happen all the time, but that’s one of the worst I’ve ever seen and for all the belts as well. Sickening.

No Love

I’ve seen some bullshit - in boxing and MMA over the last 20+ years - but for some reason, this decision has cut me deep. Absolutely infuriating.

Abraxas

I had to turn Taylor off. The self-delusion was simply too much.

Catterall will be a world champion one way or the other if he picks himself up. That's the only good thing. He jumped up about 3 levels in quality and reputation tonight. His best win was probably Ohara Davies!

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
That's up there with the worst of all time.

Credit to Ben Shalom for saying it as it is. Eddie would've brushed it under the carpet.

RedDevilRoshi

Leaving the Hydro right now and I’m literally in shock. That was Josh’s worst performance by a country mile. My dad is good mates with one of Josh Taylor’s coaches Terry McCormack and he’s sent him a text asking what he thought and I’m intrigued to see what his response is going to be as he’s an honest guy and says it as it is. He’s been part of Josh’s boxing journey for the past 15 years. Here’s the link:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/50118775

My scorecard read at the end of the fight 115-110 in Catterall’s favour. My mate had it the same and the guy sitting next to me had it 114-111 for Catterall. All of us were in unanimous agreement that Catterall unfortunately was the winner. Taylor was extremely below par and the worst performance he has put in since turning professional. We were gutted he was now going to lose the titles in his first defence as unified champion here in his home country and the first time he’s fought in Scotland since 2019. When Josh’s name got read out as the winner, of course myself and everyone around us cheered but I just had to take a seat straight back down and say to myself “WTF just happened”? “How did he win that”? He was literally outclassed and outboxed!

I wanted Josh to win but not like this. This win is just extremely tainted for me and doesn’t feel like one to celebrate because it’s clear as day he didn’t deserve to hold onto his belts tonight. Just shows how corrupt sport is.

Abraxas

The weird thing is they keep banging out this excuse about the weight but all week Taylor was talking about how comfortable it is to make the weight.

Also it seems to ignore the fight. He had energy, he was strong down the stretch - not typical features of a guy tight at the weight. His problem was he got outboxed.

Typical excuse making that you see in boxing rather than just calling it for what it is. A poor night for Taylor and a great performance by Catterall.

No Love

Josh Taylor was poor on the night but thank feck he got the job done!!!
Come on man, there is a bigger picture here. I’m all for having fighters you like to support and cheer for, but that pales into insignificance on nights like this.

G-manc

You always smell a rat when the cards take ages to be totalled up. I was expecting a draw which would have been bad enough but not a Taylor win.

To be honest, Catterrall wasn't amazing down the stretch and was spoiling a bit but he'd essentially won almost everything up to that point anyway and was still no worse than Taylor who was really poor by the high standards he's previously set.

El General 1994

Looks likely Taylor will go up in weight. Can't say I blame him after last night. How would he cope against Crawford or Spence? I would also name Ugas but Spence should dispatch him in several weeks time.

Catterall whilst no doubt will be heartbroken but he can take solace knowing that he will have gained lots of new fans and even the USA via Top Rank will have taken notice.

Kazi

Looks likely Taylor will go up in weight. Can't say I blame him after last night. How would he cope against Crawford or Spence? I would also name Ugas but Spence should dispatch him in several weeks time.

Catterall whilst no doubt will be heartbroken but he can take solace knowing that he will have gained lots of new fans and even the USA via Top Rank will have taken notice.
Crawford would play with him

TheReligion

Abusive
I’m disgusted with that decision.

Absolutely scandalous. Taylor was easily beaten.

Surely an investigation is needed into that?

TheReligion

Abusive
I’ll have to post again.

Fecking fuming and really sad. Made me lose interest in the sport again. Taylor has irritated me with how he’s behaved afterwards too and I was a fan after his battle with Prograis.

Embarrassing and shameful. Ben Shalom was brilliant in what he said post fight. He’s a pretty likeable lad.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
I’m disgusted with that decision.

Absolutely scandalous. Taylor was easily beaten.

Surely an investigation is needed into that?
The people who would investigate are part of the problem.
The promoters choose the judges from a small pool of BBBofC Officials.

TwoSheds

I just read that as him being unhappy at the commercial terms of the fight and wanting to get on with his training camp rather than faffing about with the media.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
I just read that as him being unhappy at the commercial terms of the fight and wanting to get on with his training camp rather than faffing about with the media.
That is the line coming from his camp.
To join the promotional circus won't help him financially and gives Fury the chance to mess with his head so he's opted out.

Good for him.

TheReligion

Abusive
Fury to retire after Whyte? Shame we'll never see him clatter the piss out of AJ.
Heavyweight division is in bits really.

Can’t see Usyk fighting any time soon. Joshua in limbo. Fury looking to quit.

Gone from the most active and competitive division in years to stalemate!

TwoSheds

Hopefully Whyte bangs Wilder out and claims any vacant belt if Fury really is serious about retiring. I suspect he's probably just winding AJ up myself but maybe not. AJ does look like he might be finished at the top level, hard to say until we see him fight again.

IWat

Boxing is in bits in my eyes.
  • The joke of these Youtuber events being billed as serious things by mainstream promoters
  • The politics and money involved which means a lot of the best fights are either not happening or happening right at the ends of careers as cash grabs
  • The 1,000 belts of all varieties
  • The fact it's all PPV on already paid TV to see bog-standard fights
  • The controversial decisions and home fighter advantage that still is not resolved in 2022

I'm late-twenties, but I remember Hatton and Calzaghe etc on ITV. I struggle to even see it as a sport anymore, it's a form of entertainment.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
you just look like a big bairn.
Most commentators think that Whyte is ahead in the mind games contest so far by refusing to play Patsy to Fury's antics.
All this "England and St George" bollocks made me feel a bit nauseous (and I'm usually a Fury fan).