Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Platinum #32 - Telling Lies (PS4)

Decided to save TOEM for another time given there's a free update for it coming out soon. As for Telling Lies... well, that... was a game - I think? At least it was over fairly quickly.
Holy cow! Nice one. I played this and lost patience after about 30 mins :lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Most of the time was probably spent on the solitaire minigame. Tedious but got the plat in 1h 15m.
Is it worth playing all these tedious games just for a 'reward' that isn't material?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Is it worth playing all these tedious games just for a 'reward' that isn't material?
The last tedious game I played previously was Control nearly two years ago. With Telling Lies I saw the publisher was Annapurna Interactive. I enjoyed the previous games they published that I played so thought this would be decent too. It wasn't but it was short and I didn't pay anything for it so I've not missed out on anything by finishing it.

Better than playing the 'My Name is Mayo', 'Platty Bird', 'Beaver Fun' type games

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The last tedious game I played previously was Control nearly two years ago. With Telling Lies I saw the publisher was Annapurna Interactive. I enjoyed the previous games they published that I played so thought this would be decent too. It wasn't but it was short and I didn't pay anything for it so I've not missed out on anything by finishing it.

Better than playing the 'My Name is Mayo', 'Platty Bird', 'Beaver Fun' type games
Fair enough. I struggle to even get into some of these games because the gameplay is so shallow, let-alone play every inch of it to plat.

Ainu

I just read that Outer Wilds has received a free, native PS5 and Xbox Series update. I've owned this for years but for some reason never got round to playing it beyond the intro. As I'm almost done with Yakuza 0, this is the perfect excuse to finally find out why this is considered such a masterpiece.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I just read that Outer Wilds has received a free, native PS5 and Xbox Series update. I've owned this for years but for some reason never got round to playing it beyond the intro. As I'm almost done with Yakuza 0, this is the perfect excuse to finally find out why this is considered such a masterpiece.
I hope you don't get motion sickness easily :)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yes! I've been trying to remind everyone. Planning to play it for a third time along with the brilliant DLC :drool:

Ainu

I'm almost finished with Yakuza 0, what a ride that was. The main story is done and now I'm just left with completing the cabaret club and tracking down some missing substories. At 100+ hours already, this has been a seriously comprehensive playthrough.

If I had to sum up my thoughts, it would be that it's a heavily flawed game that, despite its faults, is still easy to fall in love with. I didn't really enjoy the combat throughout the game, the mechanics and CPU opponents in some of the mini-games are incredibly infuriating and the writing in many substories tends to be overly simplistic and one-dimensional, almost childish at times.

However, the characters and writing in the main story are generally fantastic, the world is vibrant, intriguing and often bizarre and there is an addictive depth to some of the more elaborate side content. As a bonus, Majima doing lively interjections in karaoke is some of the most batshit hilarious stuff I've ever seen (and heard) in a video game.

This was my first foray into the world of Yakuza and I've now made it my (extremely optimistic) mission to play every other game in the series, from Kiwami up to Like a Dragon and perhaps throw in the Judgement games for good measure as well. There is almost no way I'm ever going to find the time to do that but I'll be damned if I didn't try.

b82REZ

Playing local coop Plate Up via the Steam Deck.

It's an absolute blast. They need to port that game to consoles ASAP. They'd make a killing.

amolbhatia50k

Frickin love Cyberpunk 2077 so far. As expected it's totally my kind of game. In the middle of the first / second big main mission. After this ill spend more time on the side stuff.

Damien

Staff
I'm almost finished with Yakuza 0, what a ride that was. The main story is done and now I'm just left with completing the cabaret club and tracking down some missing substories. At 100+ hours already, this has been a seriously comprehensive playthrough.

If I had to sum up my thoughts, it would be that it's a heavily flawed game that, despite its faults, is still easy to fall in love with. I didn't really enjoy the combat throughout the game, the mechanics and CPU opponents in some of the mini-games are incredibly infuriating and the writing in many substories tends to be overly simplistic and one-dimensional, almost childish at times.

However, the characters and writing in the main story are generally fantastic, the world is vibrant, intriguing and often bizarre and there is an addictive depth to some of the more elaborate side content. As a bonus, Majima doing lively interjections in karaoke is some of the most batshit hilarious stuff I've ever seen (and heard) in a video game.

This was my first foray into the world of Yakuza and I've now made it my (extremely optimistic) mission to play every other game in the series, from Kiwami up to Like a Dragon and perhaps throw in the Judgement games for good measure as well. There is almost no way I'm ever going to find the time to do that but I'll be damned if I didn't try.
I'm on the final chapter of Kiwami and the good news is it is shorter than 0. I'm at 33 hours played on it and by the time I've done the remaining trophies I'm going to go for it'll probably be around 40 as I'm not going to get 100% on the completion list (substories are a lot easier to complete though).

All I will say about Kiwami without any spoilers is I don't think the Golden Pistol CP purchase is worth it compared to the one in 0.

amolbhatia50k

I'm on the final chapter of Kiwami and the good news is it is shorter than 0. I'm at 33 hours played on it and by the time I've done the remaining trophies I'm going to go for it'll probably be around 40 as I'm not going to get 100% on the completion list (substories are a lot easier to complete though).

All I will say about Kiwami without any spoilers is I don't think the Golden Pistol CP purchase is worth it compared to the one in 0.
I loved 0 but got bored of Kiwami half way through. Lost Judgment on the other hand I enjoyed.

Ainu

Good to know it's shorter, I'm hoping to clean up the remakes/earlier games a lot faster than Zero. I'm going to take a break and play something else first though, if I'd play Kiwami imediately after Zero I'd probably get burned out on it. Oh and 100% CP is out of the question, if a mini-game isn't fun and doesn't have a substory tied to it, I don't bother with it.

On the plus side, I've made the effort to understand the basics of Mahjong and I've actually managed to win a game just now (with a riichi full straight no less, must be a complete fluke). I'm never going to be an expert but at least I can hold my own now, I'm hoping this knowledge will serve me well throughout the rest of the series. Shogi, on the other hand, is a game I can't imagine I'm ever going to want to learn. If it's ever required I'll probably cheat with an online engine or something.

RedDevilRoshi

Finished Detroit Become Human over the weekend. Overall a very good game. Was intrigued to see all the possible different endings/choices, therefore did another play through which resulted in picking up the platinum which I wasn’t really expecting.

Damien

Staff
Good to know it's shorter, I'm hoping to clean up the remakes/earlier games a lot faster than Zero. I'm going to take a break and play something else first though, if I'd play Kiwami imediately after Zero I'd probably get burned out on it. Oh and 100% CP is out of the question, if a mini-game isn't fun and doesn't have a substory tied to it, I don't bother with it.

On the plus side, I've made the effort to understand the basics of Mahjong and I've actually managed to win a game just now (with a riichi full straight no less, must be a complete fluke). I'm never going to be an expert but at least I can hold my own now, I'm hoping this knowledge will serve me well throughout the rest of the series. Shogi, on the other hand, is a game I can't imagine I'm ever going to want to learn. If it's ever required I'll probably cheat with an online engine or something.
Mahjong definitely seems to be a staple of the series, granted I've only played two games but seen people moan about it for future ones too. You've done well learning the basics.

Plus side about Shogi is it looks like a game you can cheat on without learning. Koi-koi I can't get at all.

After finishing the game, I sort of retract what I said about the Golden Pistol in Kiwami. With abilities upgraded, firing it a few times to raise your heat followed by a certain ability makes one end fight/trophy easy.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

This is genuinely the funniest and stupidest game I've ever played. It's also extremely difficult which makes you sound like shit which makes it funnier and that makes it more difficult...repeat ad nauseum.

b82REZ

Started Hellblade this morning.

Really enjoying it, in spite of the dull gameplay.

The audio direction is second to none. Unbelievable achievement and I'm really looking forward to see how it develops and evolves throughout the game.

amolbhatia50k

The audio direction is second to none. Unbelievable achievement and I'm really looking forward to see how it develops and evolves throughout the game.
Yeah gameplay is pretty basic. It's more about the storytelling through the immersion audio and visuals. I enjoyed it although I guess the sequel will be Xbox only? In which I won't be playing it

b82REZ

Yeah gameplay is pretty basic. It's more about the storytelling through the immersion audio and visuals. I enjoyed it although I guess the sequel will be Xbox only? In which I won't be playing it
I'm assuming it comes to PC, but it'll probably be Epic Store exclusive, so similarly I won't be playing it.

If I eventually pick up an X I'd probably prioritise playing if if the first one holds up until the end.

Its depiction of psychosis is excellent.

Ainu

The gameplay is functional, nothing more, but as an experience it's fantastic. It's one of those that stick with you long after you've finished it. Are you playing with headphones?

b82REZ

The gameplay is functional, nothing more, but as an experience it's fantastic. It's one of those that stick with you long after you've finished it. Are you playing with headphones?
Yeah, on the Steam Deck.

I decided to sacrifice the FPS and bumped up all graphics settings to max. It's still maintaining a steady 30fps though.

My only gripe so far is the rune puzzles seem incredibly arbitrary and a bit frustrating.

Balljy

I'm assuming it comes to PC, but it'll probably be Epic Store exclusive, so similarly I won't be playing it.

If I eventually pick up an X I'd probably prioritise playing if if the first one holds up until the end.

Its depiction of psychosis is excellent.
It'll be on Game Pass for PC day-one won't it rather than Epic Store exclusive?

b82REZ

It'll be on Game Pass for PC day-one won't it rather than Epic Store exclusive?
I've no idea.

It's made in Unreal Engine and that's owned by Epic. Also I'd be playing on Steam Deck and so far I haven't faffed around trying to get GP working because I barely used it when I did have it back in the day.

My actual PC is getting a bit long in the tooth now so think it'll struggle with an Unreal Engine 5 game. My missus PC might be able to handle it though.

Balljy

I've no idea.

It's made in Unreal Engine and that's owned by Epic. Also I'd be playing on Steam Deck and so far I haven't faffed around trying to get GP working because I barely used it when I did have it back in the day.

My actual PC is getting a bit long in the tooth now so think it'll struggle with an Unreal Engine 5 game. My missus PC might be able to handle it though.
Yeah, it definitely won't be on Steam I imagine unfortunately. It's developed by Xbox studios so it'll probably be on both GP and Epic.

Jacob

Does anybody have nfs heat on ps? I need somebody to race against online to get my platinum trophy :( online races are dead

TheReligion

Abusive
Does anyone know what I should be looking to get for a PS4 500MB with two dual shock controllers? I’ve got a few games too and the whole thing is boxed and in great condition.

Looking to get rid of it ASAP and use the money towards a PS5 or Xbox.

Cheers

Ainu

I've been playing Outer Wilds pretty obsessively for the last couple of days, it's awesome. It took a while to get into, but once you get hooked there's no going back. I love how the game let's you figure out everything on your own, without any sort of handholding or obvious hints, yet it never feels too obscure or complex. It's a triumph in game design.

I knew about the time loop going into the game, but I had no idea everything else was constantly in motion as well. It was a serious wtf moment when I realised that the sand flowing between the twin planets opened up or closed off routes on those planets. Or the best one yet: realising how the nature of the Brittle Hollow's changing environments would allow me to enter the otherwise inaccessible Tower of Quantum Knowledge. You would think that it would be annoying to have to time certain actions inside the time loop, or how it would put you under pressure to explore certain sections, but it's such a brilliant design that it never becomes problematic.

One negative though: despite playing the native PS5 version, the performance is all over the place. In fact it can be downright abysmal depending on where you are. I can't measure it but I'm pretty sure it often goes sub 20 fps. It's not enough to really hurt the experience, but it's still pretty bad.

amolbhatia50k

I've been playing Outer Wilds pretty obsessively for the last couple of days, it's awesome. It took a while to get into, but once you get hooked there's no going back. I love how the game let's you figure out everything on your own, without any sort of handholding or obvious hints, yet it never feels too obscure or complex. It's a triumph in game design.

I knew about the time loop going into the game, but I had no idea everything else was constantly in motion as well. It was a serious wtf moment when I realised that the sand flowing between the twin planets opened up or closed off routes on those planets. Or the best one yet: realising how the nature of the Brittle Hollow's changing environments would allow me to enter the otherwise inaccessible Tower of Quantum Knowledge. You would think that it would be annoying to have to time certain actions inside the time loop, or how it would put you under pressure to explore certain sections, but it's such a brilliant design that it never becomes problematic.

One negative though: despite playing the native PS5 version, the performance is all over the place. In fact it can be downright abysmal depending on where you are. I can't measure it but I'm pretty sure it often goes sub 20 fps. It's not enough to really hurt the experience, but it's still pretty bad.
I didn't even know about the time loop thing as I had avoided all spoilers or information about the game. That feeling when I was sitting happily on Timber Hearth when the explosion happened was surreal.

That's a shame about the FPS. Hope they fix it soon as I want to eventually go for my third playthrough. If you enjoy this do also try the DLC. It's brilliant as well.