The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
He's not just focused on ruining the States, he wants to take down the haggis munchers as well. The Scottish Government are equally culpable in wrecking the plant life near his golf course.

The sand dunes at Donald Trump's Aberdeenshire golf resort have lost their special status as a nationally-important protected environment.

SNH had warned a planning inquiry that the development would seriously damage the SSSI, but permission was granted by Scottish ministers on the basis that the potential economic benefit would outweigh environmental harm.

Eileen Stuart, NatureScot's interim director of nature and climate change said: "There is now no longer a reason to protect the dunes at Menie as they do not include enough of the special natural features for which they were designated.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-55244660

At least it gives us a chance to remember this photo from the protestors at his course, who Trump claims "love him".

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Put so stupidly you mean?

7500 people die each day on average in the US, from all sorts of viruses, disease etc.

Comparing it with Pearl Harbour, September 11th etc is just pure stupidity.
Wow. If this is what is first triggered in your mind after reading it, just don’t know what to say.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

7500 people die each day on average in the US, from all sorts of viruses, disease etc.

Just a bad flu innit mate?

Hows Sweden going these day? You’ve not given us an update on that for 5 months.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal

Could I ask whether that figure of 7500 per day (presumably on average) have stayed the same, including the daily deaths from Coronavirus or are now higher? Have people stopped dying of other causes?

Just a bad flu innit mate?

Hows Sweden going these day? You’ve not given us an update on that for 5 months.
I stopped giving a shit in the Summer when the World suddenly starting claiming Sweden had succeeded, I think one of my last posts was on how stupidly premature that was.
We’ve remained rather calm about it over here, so I haven’t given the pandemic the same attention since. Realise it’s certainly not the same back home, with extra lockdowns, tiers etc.

Bad flu? God no, a good few times worse than that, the stats don’t lie.
No idea why you’re giving me that, I’ve never been one of the gimps calling it a bad flu.

Last edited:
Could I ask whether that figure of 7500 per day (presumably on average) have stayed the same, including the daily deaths from Coronavirus or are now higher? Have people stopped dying of other causes?
Dun know @oates but the 1918 H1N1 (Spanish flu) took an incredible 675,000 US citizens in 1918, hence why I called that stats bullet board stupid. Hell 31,589 people died in New York in October-November 1918 alone.

Seemed to really piss some people off though so apologies, been out of the covid loop so didn’t realise the anger was similar to that of the Ole thread after last night. Sorry.
Enjoy your bullet board, it’s factually excellent I should have said.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Dun know @oates but the 1918 H1N1 (Spanish flu) took an incredible 675,000 US citizens in 1918, hence why I called that stats bullet board stupid. Hell 31,589 people died in New York in October-November 1918 alone.

Seemed to really piss some people off though so apologies, been out of the covid loop so didn’t realise the anger was similar to that of the Ole thread after last night. Sorry.
Still 1800 people a day average. and 32,000 in 2 months is 500 people a day (probably the highest hitted city on that time) corona had 800 as highest death toll in NY. But yeah the billboard is not factual but put some numbers on how terrible it is in comparison on others disasters in US history

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal

Well there has to have been a hell of a lot of progress medically between 1918 and now barring vaccines and the Covid seems to be particularly bad for older people, so a slice of the whole population.

I think we should check these numbers out but I wouldn't be surprised if deaths are up and that 7500 figure is higher.

Perhaps some people are getting a bit fed up with others not taking it seriously enough, lotta conspiracy nuts and other cuckoos with an attitude that they don't care about the mature element dying, that their lifestyles are more important than trying to wipe out the virus or at least bring the R number down. The Economy is going to suffer for much longer while we just have one wave after the other. What is the point of Tiers and Lockdowns if we are only going to need them again and again?

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Maddow speculating the Texas suit brought by Ken Paxton is more likely to put his name on the radar for a pardon as the FBI is investigating him. Slate seems to think the same. https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/12/ken-paxton-texas-lawsuit-scotus-election-pardon.html
-- Paxton’s suit is shot through with conspiracy theories and constitutional claims with no basis in law. Texas Solicitor General Kyle Hawkins, who typically authors the office’s lawsuits, did not sign on to this one, nor did his deputies; instead, Paxton brought in a “special counsel” from outside the agency. His suit is so ridiculous that it led some commentators to wonder whether the attorney general might have another motive for filing it. Paxton, after all, is reportedly under investigation by the FBI for alleged bribery and abuse of office. Trump, meanwhile, has been distributing pardons to his allies like candy. Paxton’s suit makes more sense as pardon-bait than it does as a legal document. And he may need presidential clemency to escape the federal criminal charges that could be imminent. --

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Still 1800 people a day average. and 32,000 in 2 months is 500 people a day (probably the highest hitted city on that time) corona had 800 as highest death toll in NY. But yeah the billboard is not factual but put some numbers on how terrible it is in comparison on others disasters in US history
OK, this is related to work I've been seeing recently at my job, so allow me some pedantry. :p

It probably is factual, and it can be done in two ways. The simpler one is to simply count the people that die and had COVID-19. That's a little deceptive though: on the one hand, some of those people may have died anyway that day, and some others may not die because they're working from home and not getting into that car accident; and on the other hand, more people may die because health care systems are overburdened and not performing usual appointments, screenings and interventions. Further, many people with COVID-19 die without a diagnosis, so all in all, this number would likely be an underestimate.

So the better but more complex method is to compare estimated death numbers with actual deaths, which gives you the excess death number. (I.e., x more people have died in period y than usually in that period of the year.) It's complex, because various things feed into estimated death numbers, the most obvious being that the overall population changes from year to year, and so estimated deaths must change more or less accordingly (also depending on how the demographic make-up shifts, etc.). Demographers are getting better and better at that, and will be able to provide fairly accurate excess deaths counts.

These calculations are only made periodically though, so given that the billboard lists last week's deaths, it's more likely simply counting deaths attributed to COVID-19. As such, they're likely underestimates - so anyone dismissing this as crap, is probably actually right in the complete opposite way of what they mean. (I.e., it's worse than it looks, not better.)

(If we're bringing up Sweden again: they're not doing too poorly for deaths/100k inhabitants now (link), but they pretty much top the OECD for cases per 100,000 inhabitants in the past seven days (link). So let's not go there, I'd say. I should probably anyway piss off towards the COVID-19 thread with this stuff. :wenger: )

Last edited:

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
OK, this is related to work I've been seeing recently at my job, so allow me some pedantry. :p

It probably is factual, and it can be done in two ways. The simpler one is to simply count the people that die and had COVID-19. That's a little deceptive though: one the one hand, some of those people may have died anyway that day, and some others may not die because they're working from home and not getting into that car accident; and on the other hand, more people may die because health care systems are overburdened and not performing usual appointments, screenings and interventions. Further, many people with COVID-19 die without a diagnose, so all in all, this number would likely be an underestimate.

So the better but more complex method is to compare estimated death numbers with actual deaths, which gives you the excess death number. (I.e., x more people have died in period y than usually in that period of the year.) It's complex, because various things feed into estimated death numbers, the most obvious being that the overall population changes from year to year, and so estimated deaths must change more or less accordingly (also depending on how the demographic make-up shifts, etc.). Demographers are getting better and better at that, and will be able to provide fairly accurate excess deaths counts.

These calculations are only made periodically though, so given that the billboard lists last week's deaths, it's more likely simply counting deaths attributed to COVID-19. As such, they're likely underestimates - so anyone dismissing this as crap, is probably actually right in the complete opposite way of what they mean. (I.e., it's worse than it looks, not better.)

(If we're bringing up Sweden again: they're not doing too poorly for deaths/100k inhabitants now (link), but they pretty much top the OECD for cases per 100,000 inhabitants in the past seven days (link). So let's not go there, I'd say. I should probably anyway piss off towards the COVID-19 thread with this stuff. :wenger: )
Is not pedantry, when you are correct. The excess death is what we ultimately will go with when this is over, which deaths were caused directly and indirectly because of COVID minus the deaths the COVID were "saved" indirectly (as you mentioned, less traffic deaths, less deaths cause because contamination , etc...) And at the beginning of the pandemic we definitely undercounted those deaths. I read that US should be around 50k-100k (arround +25%) higher and countries like Spain around 50% and Peru going over 100% at some point of their counts.

But long story short, the comparison board that was posted is in a way not fair because it might be other cases that surpasses the 3,200 deaths of today, but is a representation of what the governments could do better, like please not another battle in a civil war, better security in 11-S (or inside job :wenger:) and definitely the response for this pandemic could be better with moments on this presidency going even against what any sensible government listening to worldwide experts had been saying.

Comparing to the spanish flu were the science of the moment and the government could hardly do anything and current heart disease and cancer deaths were is done what it can be done with the resources and experience that we have is not comparable neither

lynchie

Famously the public reaction to Pearl Harbour was "Hey, 7000 people die every day guys, why aren't we talking about that? And what about the mental health impacts of fighting the axis powers? I am so smart."

Mike Smalling

Has Donald hit rock bottom yet?

In his final days in office, Trump orders series of executions

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55236260
He is getting there. What a strange thing to push through in his last days in the White House, although I suspect he doesn't necessarily have a lot to do with it himself - probably at least heavily influenced by Barr.

Also, how bizarre is it that Kim Kardashian somehow makes it into an article about Trump and federal executions :lol: ?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Is not pedantry, when you are correct. The excess death is what we ultimately will go with when this is over, which deaths were caused directly and indirectly because of COVID minus the deaths the COVID were "saved" indirectly (as you mentioned, less traffic deaths, less deaths cause because contamination , etc...) And at the beginning of the pandemic we definitely undercounted those deaths. I read that US should be around 50k-100k (arround +25%) higher and countries like Spain around 50% and Peru going over 100% at some point of their counts.

But long story short, the comparison board that was posted is in a way not fair because it might be other cases that surpasses the 3,200 deaths of today, but is a representation of what the governments could do better, like please not another battle in a civil war, better security in 11-S (or inside job :wenger:) and definitely the response for this pandemic could be better with moments on this presidency going even against what any sensible government listening to worldwide experts had been saying.

Comparing to the spanish flu were the science of the moment and the government could hardly do anything and current heart disease and cancer deaths were is done what it can be done with the resources and experience that we have is not comparable neither
Absolutely, good points. I'll add, though, that Canada has already been publishing its excess death estimates; see https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/71-607-x/71-607-x2020023-eng.htm. Maybe the US also, but I don't follow that.

(You can that estimating expected deaths has fairly wide error margins. Everything below the expected number is within those margins (except a little in February) - and then there's the huge mid-March - mid-June peak, of course. It's a pity the numbers for October and November are not available yet, where we could see to what extent the current peak is really seeing much less deaths. You'd anyway need to overlay case number trends for the full picture of that.)

lynchie

Absolutely, good points. I'll add, though, that Canada has already been publishing its excess death estimates; see https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/71-607-x/71-607-x2020023-eng.htm. Maybe the US also, but I don't follow that.

(You can that estimating expected deaths has fairly wide error margins. Everything below the expected number is within those margins (except a little in February) - and then there's the huge mid-March - mid-June peak, of course. It's a pity the numbers for October and November are not available yet, where we could see to what extent the current peak is really seeing much less deaths. You'd anyway need to overlay case number trends for the full picture of that.)
US excess deaths can be seen here: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm which fairly clearly shows them being well into their 3rd wave of significant excess mortality this year.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Thanks! Yes, that looks far worse than the Canadian picture...

(Not that I'm competitive, but I like our graph better. :cool: Although it's good that the US y axis starts from 0.)
Canada has an awful death/infection rate (official numbers): 3.15% vs 1.8% US and higher than 80% of the countries over 200K infected (again official numbers) what means that or tracking/testing had not been good enough or the healthcare system had been not good (or both)

It had been good on containing the the propagation, but I don't know if it is due to a population that live so sparely, specially in the west half

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Canada has an awful death/infection rate (official numbers): 3.15% vs 1.8% US and higher than 80% of the countries over 200K infected (again official numbers) what means that or tracking/testing had not been good enough or the healthcare system had been not good (or both)

It had been good on containing the the propagation, but I don't know if it is due to a population that live so sparely, specially in the west half
Ha, I have not seen much on that stat! Yeah, that doesn't sound good. I guess various things can factor into that (including the demographics of the groups with cases and how deaths are tracked; I know, for example, that Belgium is very quick to attribute deaths to cases, but the Netherlands are the opposite), but I don't know those factors for Canada and elsewhere. Something to keep an eye on.

Anyway, Trump eh. Only the biggest crises!

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Trump breaks another long-standing tradition by allowing executions to proceed during a presidential transition. This hasn't happened for 130 years, but Trump's changing all that.

RIP Brandon Bernard, a reformed man who'd already served 20 years on death row (where he'd been a model prisoner) and had a massive number of people supporting his plea for clemency (including the prosecutor of his case).

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Some people get a kick out of these executions. These people are sick.
Bernard was only 19 when the murders were committed. He didn't actually fire the gun, either.

(edit - he was actually only 18. Trump is disgusting for allowing these executions to go ahead).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.