Thomas Tuchel confirmed as PSG's new manager

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Very fair post match comments, I don't know why people on here are sore towards him after victory?

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
United weren't played off the park and if we controlled the ball better, we might have created a few more chances but it's the first time in history a teams come back from being two nil down from the first leg. Our mentality is the thing that's being rebuilt Our player is still short but again we were missing important players for us. Those who come in, showed a lot of courage to over come a team who SHOULD have won easy. So don't write off how important spirit is. Once we settled at the back, we were decent. We have a bigish squad but a youngish one also. PSG went out because after holding all the cards, they got scared of a United B team with kids. If the injuries come back United will play better. Martial is a big miss with his pace and quality but with belief you can go a long way.

stevoc

Hardly his fault. Kehrer and Buffon had Karius level blunders there and they still had gone through if it wasn't for a very hard VAR decision in the 93rd minute. And that's not taken into consideration that they missed an incredible amount of chances in the first half. No offense but this game should've been a 3:0 at half time not a 1:2 and there's not much Tuchel could've done about that.

I understand that United supporters are euphoric right now but this downplaying irks me. PSG was the far, far better team throughout both legs, their first match against you was arguably the best display in the tournament. I'm all for being happy that you've gone through and I hope you are going far now but a little sense of reality would be nice. Tuchel has had PSG play some amazing football and if it wasn't for only one of two serious mistakes or an at least debatable referee call in the 93rd minute, this forum would be on about what a great coach he is.
Did we watch the same games?

First half of the 1st leg was even, United lost two important players through injury. PSG should have been down to 10 men, then that guy scores from a set piece. They played well after that no doubt and nicked a 2nd when we tried to push for the equalizer, but best display in the tournament? Not a chance.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Very fair post match comments, I don't know why people on here are sore towards him after victory?
I think he was disingenuous to say they did not deserve to go out. Maybe they were unlucky considering the balance of the tie, but there was no excuse to lose 3-1 to our largely second team with the talent they have. On that basis, yes they deserved to go out.

crossy1686

career ending
Apparently Tuchel tactically outclassed Solskjær in the first leg due to being the superior manager and all round second coming of Christ.

It's funny how a tactical master can only win a tie over two legs when his opponent's team lose two players in the first 20 minutes, yet when he has a full 90 minutes against a side made largely of youth players and second string players, he can't seem to get his tactics to work? Funny that.

You might go as far to say Tuchel isn't that good and all this shouting on the touch line is just a charade for an actual lack of tactical knowledge. I mean, let's face it, a little Norwegian nobody in the management scene with experience only at a reserve side and a shitty Norwegian team managed to beat him at home last night, and he started with a 2-0 lead...

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
If it's fair to say that Tuchel outclassed Ole in the first leg then it's fair to say that Ole outclassed Tuchel in the second leg.

For all the things about PSG gifting us goals, two of their three goals against Utd were also due to clear mistakes. First by Matic and second by Bailly.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
If it's fair to say that Tuchel outclassed Ole in the first leg then it's fair to say that Ole outclassed Tuchel in the second leg.

For all the things about PSG gifting us goals, two of their three goals against Utd were also due to clear mistakes. First by Matic and second by Bailly.
I don't know what you are talking about, all ManUtd had to do was to field 11 players. Rest it was all on PSG, whether to win the game or gift wrap it for us.

KM

I don't know what you are talking about, all ManUtd had to do was to field 11 players. Rest it was all on PSG, whether to win the game or gift wrap it for us.
clearly the ramblings of a bitter man.

Josh 76

No manager out classed anyone. The two games were decided by mistakes and injuries to key players.

Revan

Assumptionman

Tuchel outlcasses Ole in the second half. Or maybe it was us losing 2 attackers at the same time, and not being unable to manager with it. I didn't blame Ole back then.

Ole definitely didn't outclass Tuchel yesterday. PSG were playing much better. 2 mistakes and a wonder penalty, while they had 2 very good chances at finishing the tie (one saved from De Gea, the other from De Gea and Smalling while they hit the post). Our first shot in the second half was Dalot's.

KM

No manager out classed anyone. The two games were decided by mistakes and injuries to key players.
That's what I'm saying. People were saying that Tuchel outclassed Ole after the first leg without even looking at other things. Only fair to say the vice versa now.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Tuchel outlcasses Ole in the second half. Or maybe it was us losing 2 attackers at the same time, and not being unable to manager with it. I didn't blame Ole back then.

Ole definitely didn't outclass Tuchel yesterday. PSG were playing much better. 2 mistakes and a wonder penalty, while they had 2 very good chances at finishing the tie (one saved from De Gea, the other from De Gea and Smalling while they hit the post). Our first shot in the second half was Dalot's.
I still liked the fact that from a tactical standpoint, we prevented them from playing centrally which cut a lot of passes to Mbappé who was isolated or forced to go wide.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Most of his post match reaction was reasonable

PSG players blamed themselves mostly there were illuminating reactions from Silva and Marquinhos

Neymar is a dick and should get a ban now imo
Did i miss anything? other than his pathetic attempt at appealing for a penalty in injury time?

And he'd very much like to be banned, wouldn't he? His sisters birthday is coming up soon...

Revan

Assumptionman
Did i miss anything? other than his pathetic attempt at appealing for a penalty in injury time?

And he'd very much like to be banned, wouldn't he? His sisters birthday is coming up soon...
He said that it is a disgrace that 4 people who know nothing about football make these decisions, and they should feck off.

He needs to be banned for a couple of matches. Drogba got 4 matches after Ovrebo match.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
He said that it is a disgrace that 4 people who know nothing about football make these decisions, and they should feck off.

He needs to be banned for a couple of matches. Drogba got 4 matches after Ovrebo match.
The only disgrace is his on field antics and his lack of professionalism when he fecks off to celebrate his sisters birthday.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Could be wrong but don't PSG usually give their managers two year cycles? As poor as last night was for them I think Tuchel will be given opportunity to make amends next season and try to reach semi finals at least.

izec

Could be wrong but don't PSG usually give their managers two year cycles? As poor as last night was for them I think Tuchel will be given opportunity to make amends next season and try to reach semi finals at least.
He has a 2 year contract and i dont think a better manager is available for them. He will probably get another year, if he fails, his contract will be up anyway. That was a big blow for him

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He has a 2 year contract and i dont think a better manager is available for them. He will probably get another year, if he fails, his contract will be up anyway. That was a big blow for him
Yeah I remember the Barcelona fiasco happened in Emery's first year and he still got another chance in CL. Blanc was there for 3 years and got another two seasons after Chelsea knocked them out of quarters in 2014.

PSG aren't a knee jerk club for sacking managers at least even when they flop in europe.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
If this guy is such a manager genius, as many on here claims, why did they keep attacking when they could just have kept the ball and defended?
Could easily have been through to the quarter finals.

izec

Yeah I remember the Barcelona fiasco happened in Emery's first year and he still got another chance in CL. Blanc was there for 3 years and got another two seasons after Chelsea knocked them out of quarters in 2014.

PSG aren't a knee jerk club for sacking managers at least even when they flop in europe.
Although with Tuchel it depends on his relationship with their sporting director. They have some serious conflict over transfer targets. Tuchel is someone that can resign or get sacked in terms of internal differences if he doesnt feel the backing.

AlexanderClaude

You don’t think they’d try to go after Zidane ?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Did we watch the same games?

First half of the 1st leg was even, United lost two important players through injury. PSG should have been down to 10 men, then that guy scores from a set piece. They played well after that no doubt and nicked a 2nd when we tried to push for the equalizer, but best display in the tournament? Not a chance.
Yeah the revisionism of that first game is incredible. They had good 15 minutes in which they scored a couple of goals. The immediate reaction was the same, i.e. incredible display by PSG etc. They were good and they did beat us fair and square but we were not really completely killed in that game. Also, last night we won fair and square too.

If this guy is such a manager genius, as many on here claims, why did they keep attacking when they could just have kept the ball and defended?
There was nothing wrong with their tactics, they lost the game because of individual errors.

Pass and Move

I can’t stand him. Acts as if he’s incredibly charismatic, like a 2004 Mourinho, when he actually comes across like a smarmy hotel bar manager who thinks he’s really well connected and acts shocked when he can’t get you a table somewhere.

TsuWave

I’m on the same boat as you. Aside from him trying to argue that because the shot wasn’t going towards the target so it shouldn’t be a pen (makes no sense because then people could just hand the ball if it’s not going on target), he didn’t say anything particularly inflammatory. Seems like a decent guy, and he’s clearly a good manager, PSG pass and movement and the way they win the ball back is impressive (if we didn’t have Ole I’d actually like us to look his way).

United won and people are here busy getting mad at the opposition manager for no reason with real substance. Mad.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
That's what I'm saying. People were saying that Tuchel outclassed Ole after the first leg without even looking at other things. Only fair to say the vice versa now.
Yeah. For the amount of shit Ole got after that game he should get credit for the win last night. In the first leg they basically scored with almost every chance they had, we did that last night.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They wanted to get to 2-2 and make the last 10 minutes more comfortable? Personally I'd have got Cavani on with ten minutes left, 1-2 and being one goal from elimination is too risky.

Ultimately though it was a hit and hope shot from 25 yards that did all the damage so even if you have 11 behind the ball a pot shot from distance can still occur.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Was chatting to a mate of mine about that. PSG played right into our counter attacking hands, in the end even aiding us by "gifting" us all 3 goals :lol: (poor Gigi :( )

But in the end, I think, depending on where you stand on the topic, I think Tuchel is a bit like Pep in that he lacks pragmatism - he always wants to attack. I could possibly be wrong, as I admittedly haven't watched a lot of Tuchel. I know he changes formations and tactics, but I don't think he's ever been a "defensive" coach who would shut up shop.

But either way yeah - even if I possibly am wrong about Tuchel, he played it a wee bit naive yesterday. His players obviously didn't help 1 bit.

Schneckerl

Decent guy and think he is a good manager, see no reason to get angry. Don't need to hate on every manager, saving that for the truly moronic comments like Klopp's.

Robertd0803

Couldnt believe he didnt bring Cavani on earlier to finish the game. I know he was coming back from injury but last night was the time to play him not whatever meaningless game they play at the weekend considering they are about 800 points clear at the top of the league.

PSG will dump him in favour of the next best option when it comes along. Jose would be ideal for them but given he hasnt spoken highly of the French League in the past Id be surprised if he ended up there. It would be a easy way of getting a few easy trophies though.

Also how annoying is Tuchel on the touchline??

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
There was nothing wrong with their tactics, they lost the game because of individual errors.
Nothing wrong with their tactics if they wanted to entertain and score goals, lots of wrongs with it if they want to get to the final of the toughest tournament on the planet.

Was chatting to a mate of mine about that. PSG played right into our counter attacking hands, in the end even aiding us by "gifting" us all 3 goals :lol: (poor Gigi :( )

But in the end, I think, depending on where you stand on the topic, I think Tuchel is a bit like Pep in that he lacks pragmatism - he always wants to attack. I could possibly be wrong, as I admittedly haven't watched a lot of Tuchel. I know he changes formations and tactics, but I don't think he's ever been a "defensive" coach who would shut up shop.

But either way yeah - even if I possibly am wrong about Tuchel, he played it a wee bit naive yesterday. His players obviously didn't help 1 bit.
Yeah, not watched much of him myself, and i don't want him to go full Mourinho, but slightly more cynical, and they'd been through with ease.

el3mel

Anyway there's a reason or 2 they gave him only a 2+1 contract. He was hired because no one else was available till a better and more decorated name is present. They may try their luck with Zidane or even Allegri if he gets sacked by Juve.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It wasn't end to end though. First goal was just a basic backpass error in first minute so complete lack of concentration from Kehrer and Lukaku read it all very quickly.

Second was long range pot shot that Buffon should've held or parried out wide.

Third was another long range shot that lead to the penalty.

Man. United had 4 shots on target (I believe second half that Dalot shot was actually the first serious shot you had in that half) and no corners so these are stats similar to 2011 CL final.

Think Im trying to say if PSG really were flooding forward at every chance surely Man. United would've had more space to counter and get int more crosses, corners and shots on target?

Main error as I've said was not getting Cavani on with 15 minutes left as him and Mbappe together would've been much tougher for the excellent Man. United back 4 to handle.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeah, not watched much of him myself, and i don't want him to go full Mourinho, but slightly more cynical, and they'd been through with ease.
Yeah, if they gave us more of the ball, and asked us to attack them, Mbappe and AdM on the counter could have done some real damage on us. But that's not the way they play, or how their owners would want them to play, mind.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Hardly his fault. Kehrer and Buffon had Karius level blunders there and they still had gone through if it wasn't for a very hard VAR decision in the 93rd minute. And that's not taken into consideration that they missed an incredible amount of chances in the first half. No offense but this game should've been a 3:0 at half time not a 1:2 and there's not much Tuchel could've done about that.

I understand that United supporters are euphoric right now but this downplaying irks me. PSG was the far, far better team throughout both legs, their first match against you was arguably the best display in the tournament. I'm all for being happy that you've gone through and I hope you are going far now but a little sense of reality would be nice. Tuchel has had PSG play some amazing football and if it wasn't for only one of two serious mistakes or an at least debatable referee call in the 93rd minute, this forum would be on about what a great coach he is.
How hard is it to be better than a Man Utd who was missing 10 starters? And lose 1-3 at home to a midfield of Fred Perreira and McTominay(what is the combined first team mins played by this 3 this season)

Tuchel is very overrated, Many people just like the idea of a coach who complicates simple concept like Tuchel like Sarri. Football is still largely a simple game

This isn't the first high profile choke job by Tuchel. 3-1 to 3-4, 2-0 to 3-3(at home)
He brought Kehrer, Bernat Buffon and Chupo-Moting into PSG the way be bought Castro Toprak, Mor, into Dortmund. One thing I am glad for is that Bayern did not appoint him

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
How hard is it to be better than a Man Utd who was missing 10 starters? And lose 1-3 at home to a midfield of Fred Perreira and McTominay(what is the combined first team mins played by this 3 this season)

Tuchel is very overrated, Many people just like the idea of a coach who complicates simple concept like Tuchel like Sarri. Football is still largely a simple game

This isn't the first high profile choke job by Tuchel. 3-1 to 3-4, 2-0 to 3-3(at home)
He brought Kehrer, Bernat Buffon and Chupo-Moting into PSG the way be bought Castro Toprak, Mor, into Dortmund. One thing I am glad for is that Bayern did not appoint him
:lol:
That's the same guy who choked at Stoke, right?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

Exactly, you can pin the blame for any goal ever on someone. Unless you’re a relegation threatened PL team coming to Old Trafford and you just start scoring screamers, that is.