Thomas Tuchel | Gone to & from Bayern (In Summer)

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I remember exactly where I was when we beat them at Highbury for the first time in years. That Wayne Bridge goal was so, so sweet.
I actually preffered the 2-0 in 2005, to win easily there after all those years of torture was brilliant.

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
I remember exactly where I was when we beat them at Highbury for the first time in years. That Wayne Bridge goal was so, so sweet.
That still haunts & triggers me tbh. I've never got over that. I've also never forgiven Wenger for that.

It was by far the easiest route for a CL for us, I thought we had the strongest team in the competition & were going to win it. The only serious challenger I felt was Real Madrid. They got knocked out in the quarters.

The 2006 run to the final was one of the worst routes I've ever seen. Credit to Wenger for getting us past Real Madrid, Juventus and Villarreal, but with Barcelona awaiting in the final, it was always a tall order.

In 2004, it would have been Porto in the final. Much more winnable. Wayne Bridge....agh.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
In 2004, it would have been Porto in the final. Much more winnable. Wayne Bridge....agh.
I felt that after we got knocked out by Monaco but in hindsight, would Wenger or Ranieri have outfoxed Mourinho in the final? I would have said very unlikely.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I vaguely remember the Mark Hughes winner when I was very young.

Little did I know I was going to have to wait until I was a teenager to see us beat them in the league again :lol:
i'll always remember the 3-3 at highbury, and wise scored like 93rd min to equalise, we were 2-0 up ffs. Kanu hat trick, because De Goey came too far out, like way too far

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
People talk about Chelsea's depth but every time they rest players it's an absolute travesty.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Lukaku has been a disastrous signing and that combined with injuries has basically fecked Chelsea's season. A 3rd place finish is nothing to be ashamed of though, Tuchel is still a top coach. Chelsea need to do smarter business in the summer.
I'd be going for Kounde. Ruben Neves/Tchouameni, or better yet, Rice. Someone like a Gerard Moreno, although i forget his age, he might be wrong side of 30 or perhaps even someone like that Benfica lad, Nunez. I'd possibly look for a winger too depending on Werner/Pulisic future. In which case, I'd go domestic. Pedro Neto. Jarrod Bowen etc, yes genuinely. Not saying we'd get them, but that type of direct winger.

RuudTom83

I find the lack of any league challenge from the current CL holders says a lot about the Premier League.

Plus the lack of any real criticism aimed at Chelsea says a lot about the media.

Its been a very disappointing season for them, surprised they get given such an easy ride.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
At least he's honest.

To be honest, this is quite refreshing but also sign of a man who feels secure and confident in his ability, if not his position as manager (no one ever is at Chelsea although who knows in these times).

I vaguely remember him doing a similar interview at the start of his Chelsea stint and people laughed. He then went onto to win the CL and prevent a Citeh treble (another thing people forget).

I sure hope he's got his finals game on because it might be the last defender at the gates of hell (Liverpool quadruple).

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
I felt that after we got knocked out by Monaco but in hindsight, would Wenger or Ranieri have outfoxed Mourinho in the final? I would have said very unlikely.
That's a fair point, but compare the line ups. It looked like we had a better player in every single position except possibly Deco & Carvalho.

It's possible Mourinho would have won playing a low block yeah obviously. He was a great manager.

But that's exactly where my main criticism is: Wenger's European pedigree was absolutely awful.

Any world class manager who builds a literally unbeatable side (in the league) would have done something with it in Europe. That was Wenger's moment and he missed it.

That 2006 run to the final was amazing but by then we had a weaker side. The moment was gone and now Chelsea have 2 CL's and we have none.

I'm not even going to get into Wenger choking against United in 2009 Semi's or Liverpool in 2008 Quarters. We beat AC Milan who were the holders and then lose to a weak Liverpool side? How does that work?

The truth is, Wenger had 20 years to give us just 1 CL and he kept choking. He was simply not at the level of Alex Ferguson or Mourinho.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
That's a fair point, but compare the line ups. It looked like we had a better player in every single position except possibly Deco & Carvalho.

It's possible Mourinho would have won playing a low block yeah obviously. He was a great manager.

But that's exactly where my main criticism is: Wenger's European pedigree was absolutely awful.

Any world class manager who builds a literally unbeatable side (in the league) would have done something with it in Europe. That was Wenger's moment and he missed it.

That 2006 run to the final was amazing but by then we had a weaker side. The moment was gone and now Chelsea have 2 CL's and we have none.

I'm not even going to get into Wenger choking against United in 2009 Semi's or Liverpool in 2008 Quarters. We beat AC Milan who were the holders and then lose to a weak Liverpool side? How does that work?

The truth is, Wenger had 20 years to give us just 1 CL and he kept choking. He was simply not at the level of Alex Ferguson or Mourinho.
Agreed.

I said about ten years ago (and got stick for it) that I feel Wenger although while did great building that team on a relative budget ultimately underachieved once he got it. Your early 00s team should have dominated the European and especially English stage.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
That still haunts & triggers me tbh. I've never got over that. I've also never forgiven Wenger for that.

It was by far the easiest route for a CL for us, I thought we had the strongest team in the competition & were going to win it. The only serious challenger I felt was Real Madrid. They got knocked out in the quarters.

The 2006 run to the final was one of the worst routes I've ever seen. Credit to Wenger for getting us past Real Madrid, Juventus and Villarreal, but with Barcelona awaiting in the final, it was always a tall order.

I can understand that mate. That Arsenal side was top 3 or 4 in Europe, but that game showed me something. We built our CL pedigree pretty quickly. Reaching the CL semis in year 1 after the takeover was huge. It set the tone for what was to come.

I've felt regrets about that season for 20 years to be honest, for the same reasons as you. Once we eliminated Arsenal, the toughest team remaining, it was frustrating beyond belief to not at least get to the final. At the time I was buzzing about it though. Big achievement for us back then and it was a big scalp for us winning that game at Highbury.

Winning the CL is hard but yeah Wenger should really have done more during that period when Arsenal were one the top dogs in Europe.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
To be honest, this is quite refreshing but also sign of a man who feels secure and confident in his ability, if not his position as manager (no one ever is at Chelsea although who knows in these times).

I vaguely remember him doing a similar interview at the start of his Chelsea stint and people laughed. He then went onto to win the CL and prevent a Citeh treble (another thing people forget).

I sure hope he's got his finals game on because it might be the last defender at the gates of hell (Liverpool quadruple).
His approval rating among Chelsea is sky high. He's so good and I feel privileged in a way to have him as our coach.

His interviews have always been refreshing to listen to. He's very engaging and tries to be as clear and honest about what he says. I'd find him very endearing if I wasn't a Chelsea fan.

DevilRed

Will be gone soon once a bigger club comes calling.

Can see he is on a sinking ship with no money for improvements in the future.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I find the lack of any league challenge from the current CL holders says a lot about the Premier League.

Plus the lack of any real criticism aimed at Chelsea says a lot about the media.

Its been a very disappointing season for them, surprised they get given such an easy ride.
It says nothing about the PL and everything about how winning a glorified FA cup made a lot of people overrated Chelsea going into this season.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Remember earlier this season when some were trying to argue Tuchel is up there with Guardiola and Klopp?

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

It says the league campaign is 38 games long and the best team to enter often doesn’t win a cup competition. But we knew that already.

MUFC OK

Could see him at Madrid, and honestly I think it would be a good move for him. Can't see them challenging City and Pool next year. Be interesting to see if the new ownership affects how trigger happy they've been with managers.

reddevilz007

If you think about it, Chelsea could have been one of the best clubs in the world if they managed somehow to get Salah and De Bruyne playing like they play in the past few years.

Imagine having Kante, Jorginho and De Bruyne as your midfielders. Salah and Hazard as your wingers.

Scottynaldinho

Remember earlier this season when some were trying to argue Tuchel is up there with Guardiola and Klopp?
Yes, it became "Tuchel, Klopp and Guardiola". Strange as he has nothing to show except a CL win with what wasn't even his team.

Josh 76

He only been here 18 months
Won the CL
Got the the FA cup final This season and last season and got the to the League cup final.
Was unlucky not to get the CL semi final

What was Klopp and Pep doing in their first 18 months ? Struggling to finish in top 4!

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He only been here 18 months
Won the CL
Got the the FA cup final This season and last season and got the to the League cup final.
Was unlucky not to get the CL semi final

What was Klopp and Pep doing in their first 18 months ? Struggling to finish in top 4!
Di Matteo won the CL and the Fa Cup final in his first season.

Guardiola won the treble in his first top flight season. What was Klopp doing in his first top flight season? Struggling to avoid relegation!

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
People really are going out of their way to slate Tuchel. He might have spunked 100m on Wastekaku but it is only one player.

Look at what Pep and Klopp had to do to get where they are now. He might not be as good but he should be given the chance to build his own team.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He’s a class manager. He’s only around 14 months into this project and has already turned them into a great outfit. Doing what he’s doing with the backdrop around the club is no small feat. I’d love him at United.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He’s a class manager. He’s only around 14 months into this project and has already turned them into a great outfit. Doing what he’s doing with the backdrop around the club is no small feat. I’d love him at United.
I haven't seen a Chelsea manager with such unanimous support among the fanbase since Ancelotti.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
I haven't seen a Chelsea manager with such unanimous support among the fanbase since Ancelotti.
I think that’s down to how he comes across in interviews as well. He’s a straight talker and avoids drama, and doesn’t make shitty excuses for poor performances a la Klopp. It’s a shame for Chelsea that the club’s been hamstrung as I don’t see him sticking around unless you guys are bought out.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think that’s down to how he comes across in interviews as well. He’s a straight talker and avoids drama, and doesn’t make shitty excuses for poor performances a la Klopp. It’s a shame for Chelsea that the club’s been hamstrung as I don’t see him sticking around unless you guys are bought out.
That's true, also the general feeling is that he's an genuine elite manager who takes an interest in the academy and that we will eventually win the league if we stick with him. He's a great talker too, so he's found a way to quickly connect with the fans, of course winning the CL helped in that regard

Crashoutcassius

He is a good manager and the support he is getting from chelsea fans is good for the club as a whole i think.

I always felt they were very negative last season outside of the couple of CL games, but they have improved that this year.

They are a step behind the top teams and unless city and liverpool have a bad season i can't see tuchel as being good enough in a league comp to close that gap. he has been very impressive as a cup manager. that might be enough.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
That's true, also the general feeling is that he's an genuine elite manager who takes an interest in the academy and that we will eventually win the league if we stick with him. He's a great talker too, so he's found a way to quickly connect with the fans, of course winning the CL helped in that regard
Oh yea definitely. I’m not sure if it was you or another poster that mentioned he called in all the academy and the loan army to judge them all on their merits during pre season. Excellent way to get buy in from a player that hasn’t been given a fair chance.

If the club is sold and he’s given good backing by the new owners, I can see him being up there with City and Liverpool.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Di Matteo won the CL and the Fa Cup final in his first season.

Guardiola won the treble in his first top flight season. What was Klopp doing in his first top flight season? Struggling to avoid relegation!
That's why Kloppo is a level below

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Oh yea definitely. I’m not sure if it was you or another poster that mentioned he called in all the academy and the loan army to judge them all on their merits during pre season. Excellent way to get buy in from a player that hasn’t been given a fair chance.

If the club is sold and he’s given good backing by the new owners, I can see him being up there with City and Liverpool.
Trevoh Chalobah getting promoted caught everyone by surprise (although it would have likely been Guehi if he stuck around). Lampard never considered him and he wasn't on a single supporters radar.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

That wasn't me but it's true. It's how Chalobah got his chance out of the blue. He certainly wasn't in many of the fans' list of top prospects. We still tried to sign Kounde, but the fact that he kept academy players around for a while meant Chalobah hung around just long enough to make an impression in preseason. Gallagher too, but his position was a bit more congested so a loan was agreed but Tuchel developed a personal relationship with him that he's maintained throughout the season.

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
That wasn't me but it's true. It's how Chalobah got his chance out of the blue. He certainly wasn't in many of the fans' list of top prospects. We still tried to sign Kounde, but the fact that he kept academy players around for a while meant Chalobah hung around just long enough to make an impression in preseason. Gallagher too, but his position was a bit more congested so a loan was agreed but Tuchel developed a personal relationship with that he's maintained throughout the season.
Although their moves have worked out well for them i wonder if Guehi and Livramento partly regret not giving pre season a shot.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Trevoh Chalobah getting promoted caught everyone by surprise (although it would have likely been Guehi if he stuck around). Lampard never considered him and he wasn't on a single supporters radar.
Yeah, this pretty much. Some fans were afraid that swapping Lampard out for Tuchel meant closing the pathway for academy players. Remember the meltdown in the first game against Wolves where he left out Mount and James? I can't think of a single game in Tuchel's entire reign that hasn't included at least 2 academy players in the lineup. It's mostly 3, quite frequently 4 too.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Although their moves have worked out well for them i wonder if Guehi and Livramento partly regret not giving pre season a shot.
Guehi, probably not as he's broken into the England squad and he's been elevated to captain level already and it's still the first season. Livramento, possibly, looking at how many times Azpi has started at RWB this season. It would have been great to have him when James was either injured or needed at RCB. He would have managed close to, or more than, 2000 minutes had he stayed.

Cloud7

At least he's honest.

A manager who is willing to hold his hands up and say "I got it wrong" is so so so refreshing to see in a world where every other manager blames everything under the sun but themselves when they lose