Thomas Tuchel | Gone to & from Bayern (In Summer)

Baxter

A manager who is willing to hold his hands up and say "I got it wrong" is so so so refreshing to see in a world where every other manager blames everything under the sun but themselves when they lose

Did say this too, to be fair :lol

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, this pretty much. Some fans were afraid that swapping Lampard out for Tuchel meant closing the pathway for academy players. Remember the meltdown in the first game against Wolves where he left out Mount and James? I can't think of a single game in Tuchel's entire reign that hasn't included at least 2 academy players in the lineup. It's mostly 3, quite frequently 4 too.
On the Shed End a few doubled down on that narrative right up until Trevoh's promotion. When he did things like sub Callum on and off vs Saints and hook Billy at half time against Arsenal the place was unbearable.

Josh 76

Di Matteo won the CL and the Fa Cup final in his first season.

Guardiola won the treble in his first top flight season. What was Klopp doing in his first top flight season? Struggling to avoid relegation!
Tuchel had Chelsea top of the PL in December. Then lost two of his fullbacks for rest of season. When Liverpool Lost VVD, the world came to an end!

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

Did say this too, to be fair :lol
To be fair he was always a perfectionist about how a pitch should look. There is a story when he was managing Mainz that he wanted to sign the greenkeeper of some Greek club after they played there because he liked the pitch so much.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
To be fair, if you watch the replay of Christensen's miscue leading to the first goal, the bounce right before he strikes the ball is completely crazy. Its a standard long ball up the pitch that has already bounced once and then the second bounce is essentially straight up/sideways. I don't think it can be spin at that point because the ball has already bounced once normally. Its almost like the ball struck some object that was sitting on the pitch.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
To be fair, if you watch the replay of Christensen's miscue leading to the first goal, the bounce right before he strikes the ball is completely crazy. Its a standard long ball up the pitch that has already bounced once and then the second bounce is essentially straight up/sideways. I don't think it can be spin at that point because the ball has already bounced once normally. Its almost like the ball struck some object that was sitting on the pitch.

It was really unlucky. Not enough to excuse the shenanigans that happened the rest of the game, but Christensen specifically was unlucky and was probably harsh to hook him at HT considering he played fairly well aside from that howler and Silva wasn't particularly great when he came on either.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I think Tuchel has been a little unlucky (Vs Someone like Liverpool) with the way the fixtures have fallen and the injuries they have sustained.

In the past week/ 10 days their key players have played nearly an extra game vs Liverpools because of the fact that Liverpool drew Benfica and had the luxury (Through no fault of their own because they can only beat what's put in front of them) to rest players in the second leg before their semi vs City.

Chelsea did 120 at the Bernabeu , then the semi with Palace and a tough game vs Arsenal (Who are suffering their own injury problems but have far fresher legs).

Last 3 games;

Mount 290 minutes vs 200 Thiago
Alonso 290 minutes vs 180 Robertson
James 300 minutes vs 180 TAA
Werner 260 minutes vs 200 Mane

Etc etc

You add that to injuries to key players (Kovacic/ Chilwell) with sub par replacements , the disaster which is the Lukaku signing and the uncertainty around the club (Ownership, contracts and attendence down) and it's no surprise they don't have the same spring in their step as Liverpool.

I think it's a credit to Tuchel that he avoids bringing any of this up because I've heard some fans blame him for the result last night but I'm not sure what else he was supposed to do with the hand dealt to him.

George The Best

People really are going out of their way to slate Tuchel. He might have spunked 100m on Wastekaku but it is only one player.

Look at what Pep and Klopp had to do to get where they are now. He might not be as good but he should be given the chance to build his own team.
Not sure Lukaku was even his decision the way Chelsea were operating under their owner at the time. Never seemed like a Tuchel type player to me.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
I feel sorry for him having to work with our attack.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Werner and Lukaku are terrible buys. Havertz is pretty good but he isn't a striker or a natural finisher at all
I agree, Id never start Werner. I get Lukaku coming on as he can finish.
Havertz is the most over protected player in our fanbase.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I agree, Id never start Werner. I get Lukaku coming on as he can finish.
Havertz is the most over protected player in our fanbase.
We literally stopped creating anything the minute Lukaku came on, James post aside.

Irwin99

Don't think he's been a million miles away from turning this Chelsea team into one that could get very close to City and Liverpool but it's their attack that lets them down. At full strength their defence and midfield options are very impressive.

OverratedOpinion

He has done well to be fair, not to be too harsh but I do think of his Champions League win as a little bit situational. Not quite a fluke but just one of those years where you get to the semis and anyone could have won and they were in the midst a bit of a bounce.

With that said he is proof of what I am really hoping Ten Hag can prove here. If you take a very good football coach with a good group of players and just let him work then it will have positive results. He is very good I would just have the same worries I have with Ten Hag, is he as good as Klopp and Pep? No.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He has done well to be fair, not to be too harsh but I do think of his Champions League win as a little bit situational. Not quite a fluke but just one of those years where you get to the semis and anyone could have won and they were in the midst a bit of a bounce.

With that said he is proof of what I am really hoping Ten Hag can prove here. If you take a very good football coach with a good group of players and just let him work then it will have positive results. He is very good I would just have the same worries I have with Ten Hag, is he as good as Klopp and Pep? No.
I appreciate what you're saying but I also think this is a bit harsh. We conceded 4 goals in the entire competition - whilst I wouldn't argue Chelsea were the best side who participated in the CL last year, I think it's pretty unequivocally true that Chelsea were comfortably the best team within the confines of the competition.

Red00012

He’s done well considering his options up top are Lukaku , Werner and Havertz who isn’t a striker

OverratedOpinion

I appreciate what you're saying but I also think this is a bit harsh. We conceded 4 goals in the entire competition - whilst I wouldn't argue Chelsea were the best side who participated in the CL last year, I think it's pretty unequivocally true that Chelsea were comfortably the best team within the confines of the competition.
You were the best team within the confines of the competition, you won it. There is no debating that, Liverpool were the best Champions League side in 2005, it did not mean that Benitez was a better coach than Mourinho or Sir Alex though.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
You were the best team within the confines of the competition, you won it. There is no debating that, Liverpool were the best Champions League side in 2005, it did not mean that Benitez was a better coach than Mourinho or Sir Alex though.
Well see this is where I would disagree - Liverpool were absolutely not the best side in the CL in 2005 given they finished 2nd in their group and had to get a ghost goal in the semis vs Chelsea to go through. In contrast with our campaign last year, we were in a losing position for I believe a grand total of 5 minutes during the entire competition - 4 minutes between Krasnodar going ahead and our equalizer in the dead rubber group stage match and one minute of stoppage time when Porto scored to make it 2-1 on aggregate.

My only point is that if you sit down and look at the CL specifically, Chelsea's run last year is about as dominant as anyone's in the history of the competition and labeling it a fluke in any way shape or form seems quite harsh.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Add a real attack to this team and they'd be up there. The difference in their general play between now ans the pre Tuchel days is enormous. And with pretty much the same set of players. The issue is that he doesn't have players who can break teams at will like the other top 2 sides.

Of course they'll be going back 2 steps now with their CBs leaving so Tuchel is going to have to fix both attack and defence now despite the progress made.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
He’s done well considering his options up top are Lukaku , Werner and Havertz who isn’t a striker
I know there's levels to this game but I'm in the middle of a 6 months stint of watching Lacazette & Nketiah, so can't find myself feeling sorry for him.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Nonsense. At the moment that title goes to Kante. Was good in the second half but atrocious in the second - he's been poor for a month now.
Not nonsense at all, was a record signing at the time been here 2 seasons now and you can count on 2 hands how many good games he's actually had.
Was good in the second half but atrocious in the second, Huh?.
Kante along with James were our best players yesterday. Kante coming to the end, Kante first 2 seasons were alot lot better than Havertz.
Havertz has 2 more league goals, and 1 more goal in all competitions despite playing more minutes.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Yes, he’s had a bad hand with the £97.5m, £73m, and £45m purchases.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Add a real attack to this team and they'd be up there. The difference in their general play between now ans the pre Tuchel days is enormous. And with pretty much the same set of players. The issue is that he doesn't have players who can break teams at will like the other top 2 sides.

Of course they'll be going back 2 steps now with their CBs leaving so Tuchel is going to have to fix both attack and defence now despite the progress made.
I agree with this, thats why our away form is much better than our home form.

jackal&hyde

He is good but very over rated imo. This season was a small disaster giving their squad and the supposed WC quality of the manager. Next season we will have a more complete picture of how good he really is but the signs are not as great as the media paints them.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
He is good but very over rated imo. This season was a small disaster giving their squad and the supposed WC quality of the manager. Next season we will have a more complete picture of how good he really is but the signs are not as great as the media paints them.
He has the third best squad in the league and is going to finish...third?