Thoughts on Tuchel as a potential United manager?

Would you appoint Thomas Tuchel as the next Manchester United manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
3rd with Bayern, their worst finish since 2011.
I suppose the line now turns into "you don't understand, Stuttgart needed a freak season to get that 2nd place."

DSG

Thats fair enough. If you had just started with that I wouldnt even have challenged your opinion mate.
Personally I liked his Chelsea side and really like Tuchel as a person but thats all subjective :)
There were some articles that talked about how Tuchel’s touchline tirades at players on the pitch was affecting morale. Like, veering into personal attacks, etc.

I think that, tactically, he’s actually a brilliant coach. His teams are very organized and he is a pragmatist, he uses tactics that fit his side. His Dortmund teams were basically a 4-1-4-1 with a pretty nasty high press. PSG were a 4-3-3 if memory serves. They scored 105 in the league that first season, and during the pandemic did the domestic double and made the finals of the CL. At Chelsea he went to a 3-4-3 and I think this is where he got the reputation as a conservative, defending first counter-attacking coach, although those Chelsea teams dominated possession against inferior sides but set up counter attacking vs City and other top teams.

Amira

I liked him before this season.

However, he could be another coach on the decline. Exactly the kind of guy we’d go after.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I wouldn’t bet money on him being on the decline. But, it could be, and it’d be just our luck.
It can never be excluded but it's worth stating that Bayern have the 2nd most goals in Europe(in 33 games while City have one more goal in 37 games), the highest xG and the highest xG differential.

Last edited:

hobbers

He's not obviously way past his peak like LVG and Mourinho obviously were when we hired them.

Not a guarantee or anything of course. Still a gamble like every other option.

Amira

It can never be excluded but it's worth stating that Bayern have the 2nd most goals in Europe(in 33 games while City have one more goal in 37 games), the highest xG and the highest xG differential.
Very good point

croadyman

I’d actually be really excited by Ange. Seems a top guy and I like his style of play. Surely he’s not wedded to spurs!
The only concern I have with him is that would he be willing to adapt when required. Feels like he doesn't have that plan B to change things up

Superwoofer

Tuchel is a high quality modern manager. Have doubts over whether we would be a good fit though, despite him being the highest quality available manager now.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Supports
⭐
He couldn’t even get this Bayern side with €95m Harry Kane and clearly the best squad in the league to finish above 3rd.

That’s absolutely failure.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Supports
⭐
Are people calling him a success at Bayern this season?
I would hope not :lol: there does seem a little more sentiment to contextualise his failure though.

I don’t think he can come and handle United if he can’t win the Bundesliga convincingly and then finishes 3rd the following season.

Other than other teams just being managed better, what is the reason for Bayern being 3rd?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Other than other teams just being managed better, what is the reason for Bayern being 3rd?
Especially in the first half they had the thinnest squad in defence in the league. Best attack, but more or less financed Kane by selling defenders in numbers (buying Kim alone didn't replace Stanisic, Pavard and Hernandez, especially as they all are more versatile).

This season is a proof for the common knowledge that attack wins matches, but defence wins championships.

And Tuchel was very open about this being a problem, so the season (and the winter transfer activity, although that was not great as well) just proved his assessment of the squad to be correct.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Supports
⭐
Especially in the first half they had the thinnest squad in defence in the league. Best attack, but more or less financed Kane by selling defenders in numbers (buying Kim alone didn't replace Stanisic, Pavard and Hernandez, especially as they all are more versatile).

This season is a proof for the common knowledge that attack wins matches, but defence wins championships.

And Tuchel was very open about this being a problem, so the season (and the winter transfer activity, although that was not great as well) just proved his assessment of the squad to be correct.
Leverkusen rotated these throughout for 3 positions:
Tah
Tapsoba
Hincapié
Kossounou
Stanisic (Bayern

Bayern were rotating these for 2 positions:
Kim
Upamecano
De Ligt
Dier (January onwards)

Proportionally similar abilities to rotate.

I agree it isn’t ideal to have 3 cbs until January but then is that Tuchel’s fault for allowing Stanisic to go on loan?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Leverkusen rotated these throughout for 3 positions:
Tah
Tapsoba
Hincapié
Kossounou
Stanisic (Bayern

Bayern were rotating these for 2 positions:
Kim
Upamecano
De Ligt
Dier (January onwards)

Proportionally similar abilities to rotate.

I agree it isn’t ideal to have 3 cbs until January but then is that Tuchel’s fault for allowing Stanisic to go on loan?
Tuchel was fine with that loan assuming that Pavard wouldn't leave. But then Pavard was sold as well. Tuchel wanted to keep one of them.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Supports
⭐
Tuchel was fine with that loan assuming that Pavard wouldn't leave. But then Pavard was sold as well. Tuchel wanted to keep one of them.
Thank you for providing the context.

It’s a shame that the club then put so much into Kane and weren’t able to hold onto a position of depth elsewhere. Although Pavard wanted to play CB at another club so he was always looking to move.

Im not convinced this is enough of a reason to finish behind Stuttgart though.

Leverkusen have been absolutely sensational and I don’t know many who would have predicted it so it once in a blue moon can happen. But a Bayern side falling down to 3rd is inexcusable.

kkengvib

i dunno why but i get Mourinho vibes with him...
not my ideal choice but i'm not sure if EtH can turn it around... and i'm not looking forward to another season like this current one

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Even then there is a degree of poor luck or poor goalkeeping, their expected goals against is 12 goals lower than their actual record, 32.4 xGA but 45 conceded goals.

Winrar

Strange thing is Bayern put points on the board where they needed mostly in the first half of the season. It’s second half where things fell apart.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Strange thing is Bayern put points on the board where they needed mostly in the first half of the season. It’s second half where things fell apart.
Still they had a lot of bad performances in the first half and lost both the Supercup and the Cup. Their form dropped in the league after losing the "decider" against Leverkusen, when it became clear that Leverkusen wouldn't slow down the team visible stopped giving a f*ck.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa

it was his stupid idea to loan Stanisic.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Only because he believed Pavard would stay. Those two are very similar and preferring Pavard over Stanisic is a sensible assessment, loaning Stanisic out to mature further to replace Pavard now was a good idea.
I disagree. It was fairly obvious before even the start of pre season Pavard desired to leave. Even amidst the seeming lack of interest. He took a needless gamble and it backfired.

Winrar

Still they had a lot of bad performances in the first half and lost both the Supercup and the Cup. Their form dropped in the league after losing the "decider" against Leverkusen, when it became clear that Leverkusen wouldn't slow down the team visible stopped giving a f*ck.
Bayern’s home loss to Bremen was when it started to really slip away for them I think. That was literally the first game in the second half of the season.

You’re right that they did have a few stinkers before that though.

croadyman

Wonder if he will hear from Utd again now Pochettino suddenly on the market. You would hope that's not affecting things but honestly unsure

kaku06

Vulgarian
Wonder if he will hear from Utd again now Pochettino suddenly on the market. You would hope that's not affecting things but honestly unsure
I think Poch is an excellent manager. Gets a bad rep here by some. With him and Tuchel now available we would be idiots to not get either of them. We need an experience stable hand right now not Potter or RDZ or McKenna. Let someone experienced good manager guide us through this transition period and we can appoint someone like McKenna after 2-3 years.

croadyman

I think Poch is an excellent manager. Gets a bad rep here by some. With him and Tuchel now available we would be idiots to not get either of them. We need an experience stable hand right now not Potter or RDZ or McKenna. Let someone experienced good manager guide us through this transition period and we can appoint someone like McKenna after 2-3 years.
The other concern with Pochettino is that doesn't he want more control over things whereas INEOS are trying to move away from it

bosskeano

i would take Poch here in a heart beat....he does really well working with young players

Status
Not open for further replies.