Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Where is he? Is he injured?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Where is he? Is he injured?
Nope, just seems out of favour. Don't think Jose has found a position he likes him in yet, can't give him a place on the bench as he's got more experienced players.

Think it'll be good if he gets a loan somewhere in January.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
If we would have been in a more comfortable position in the league I imagine we would've seen him get a few more games in the cup competitions. As that's not the case Mourinho has been playing stronger teams in the cups in order to generate a bit of consistency and momentum. TFM is taking s bit of a back seat by now but I'm sure thatll change on the near future.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Think he's likely to play tomorrow, with Valencia and Darmian not in the squad. His last start was in the previous game against Zorya and he played at RB. Even if Young starts there, I expect to at least see him as a sub.

Maybe we'll even see him in midfield, considering we're most likely going to have only Fellaini on the bench and, well...

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Clearly we have no interest in an 18 year old who has just signed a new long term deal with us if we don't play him in a European away match that could be our best route into the Champions League.

dichinero

What a waste of time for the lad. He's at an age where game time is important. Has barely kicked a ball for for the first team and not a single minute with the u23. He's probably the unfittest player in the whole of the club as far as match fitness is concerned. For all the talk of potential in the world, no one can say that he has the potential of a top player at this stage.

Scholesy

What a waste of time for the lad. He's at an age where game time is important. Has barely kicked a ball for for the first team and not a single minute with the u23. He's probably the unfittest player in the whole of the club as far as match fitness is concerned. For all the talk of potential in the world, no one can say that he has the potential of a top player at this stage.
Agree, another failure by Mourinho, he needs game to develop, he obviously isn't getting them here so why was he not loaned out?

Sigma

He's probably going to start tomorrow with no Valencia and Darmian in the traveling squad.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
His potential hasnt decreased, his form and game time has. Mourinho is really mismanaging him, he doesnt play football. Then let him storm the reserves at least.

dichinero

His potential hasnt decreased, his form and game time has. Mourinho is really mismanaging him, he doesnt play football. Then let him storm the reserves at least.
I'd hope so but it will be hard not to think not. Players in his position will be disillusioned at some stage and would have to start thinking of their future careers. It's like Pereira last season, he was trying to force a loan move but LvG hindered him and even then he was still playing reserve football. That was a wasted 12 months and it will tell on the player's potential and form. TFM is mostly compared to Pogba, and if I were him I'd be thinking that making a drastic move away for footballing reasons might be the way forward.

Tbh, I don't even want to see him on tomorrow cos it's an important game and he must be lacking match fitness, also he'll probably be asked to play @ RB, or he'll just be given "Memphis Minutes" cos he won't start. As it is, who in their right mind will gamble to take him on loan? It could another wasted 12 months

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Since when is it critical for 18 year olds to get consistent playing time at Manchester United ?

dichinero

Since when is it critical for 18 year olds to get consistent playing time at Manchester United ?
I never said that. He just needs to playing football, at any level at this rate which isn't happening. Unless you don't think game time is essential for an 18 year old professional footballer?

Rossa

You are not paying attention, are you? At 16, you should be an automatic starter because Rooney was, and if you are not, then your potential is wasted. It's ridiculous.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I never said that. He just needs to playing football, at any level at this rate which isn't happening. Unless you don't think game time is essential for an 18 year old professional footballer?
It isn't in any way essential for an 18 year old. If he was 23 then we may be able to say its a problem. He is gaining plenty of experience in training and traveling with the club, alongside the bits of game time he gets.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I'd argue training with the first team is more beneficial than playing every two weeks for the U23. Few stars have ever come out from there, let's be honest. The level and organization is very low and not a great environment for developing of young players. Most of them stagnate when they get to the reserves.

I don't think he's treated as an 18 year old. People are being overdramatic here.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
We have too many players in the positions he play
Currently yes. He can afford to wait at least three or four years more for an established place. If he keeps improving, he has every chance of making it. Currently our backups for CM are a 100 year old Carrick, useless Morgan and Marouane Fellaini.

rocks13

OK cheers Jose, what are the other 10 that are starting and who's on the bench, so I can get 100% on my starting line-up prediction?
Not sure of the entire eleven. Just know that Jose has already given Fosu-Mensah enough minutes to add him to his list of youth products he was waving around in the summer so there's no real need to play him.

khoazany

I'd argue training with the first team is more beneficial than playing every two weeks for the U23. Few stars have ever come out from there, let's be honest. The level and organization is very low and not a great environment for developing of young players. Most of them stagnate when they get to the reserves.

I don't think he's treated as an 18 year old. People are being overdramatic here.
You can train with the first team and play with the U23s. Januzaj, Pereira and TFM himself did that last year. If we want him to compete for a first team place he needs to have enough match sharpness, and playing zero football for months wouldn't help.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You can train with the first team and play with the U23s. Januzaj, Pereira and TFM himself did that last year. If we want him to compete for a first team place he needs to have enough match sharpness, and playing zero football for months wouldn't help.
It's a big difference in tactics between Mourinho and van Gaal. When Mourinho arrived I'm sure I read that he keeps the senior squad and the U23s separate as two different entities, whilst van Gaal seemed to treat them all as one big mesh of players, with players constantly yo-yoing from the U23s into the full squad and vice-versa.

khoazany

It's a big difference in tactics between Mourinho and van Gaal. When Mourinho arrived I'm sure I read that he keeps the senior squad and the U23s separate as two different entities, whilst van Gaal seemed to treat them all as one big mesh of players, with players constantly yo-yoing from the U23s into the full squad and vice-versa.
I know, and that's one part that I strongly disagree with. Van Gaal might have gone too far about playing first team players at U23s players to gain fitness but for players on the fringe like TFM who didn't even have a full season at U23s level before stepping up it's crucial that he got some competitive game times (albeit at a much lower level) as part of his development plan.

jb8521

He's had a couple of injuries over the past 6 weeks and hasn't been training full time which is why he pulled out of the Netherlands u20s squad during the last international break

Status
Not open for further replies.