Top Four Race 2018/19

Woziak

We are fecked. Even Emery's got Arsenal up and running. Forget 4th spot, we may finish a good 5-6 points behind 5th.

We may finish 5-6 points behind Wolves who may well take 6th place - Top Side. Sacking Bourinho may help but it could easily back fire as well. The best option is finish 8th no Europa League Football!

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Wow the Big Five are starting to bunch up. Arsenal have turned things around

Abhinav

There are 4 teams in good form with Spurs also in the mix. If we don’t pick ourselves up we will be left behind very soon. The margin of error in the PL is going to be very small this year.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I expect any chance to be gone after the next 4 games (Chelsea, Everton, Bournemouth, City). I wouldn't expect any different with another manager either. Our first XI isn't good enough.

Newman123

Supports
Arsenal
I think we (Arsenal) will finish 7th. Our results were flukey and our play hasnt been that convincing. Not top 4 material.

I expect any chance to be gone after the next 4 games (Chelsea, Everton, Bournemouth, City). I wouldn't expect any different with another manager either. Our first XI isn't good enough.
The squad is fine - don't listen to Jose's propaganda. The way were setup and the tactics is a bigger issue.

JSArsenal

Too early to say who is in what race.

I'll revisit this thread come January and see where we and everyone else are. I wish I could find a snapshot of the league table at this stage of the season for the last few years and compare it to the various final tables.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Too early to say who is in what race.

I'll revisit this thread come January and see where we and everyone else are. I wish I could find a snapshot of the league table at this stage of the season for the last few years and compare it to the various final tables.
It's easy to check. Go to whoscored.com and you can see customized tables.

You can customize to check "from date" to "to date" table, or season start to "to date" tables.

Infra-red

Agreed. That doesn't necessarily mean we should keep Mourinho for the remainder of the season, but I do think top 4 is beyond us regardless.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The squad is fine - don't listen to Jose's propaganda. The way were setup and the tactics is a bigger issue.
Could we set up better? Yes. Will it be better than what Liverpool, City, Chelsea and Spurs have as their best 11? Unlikely.

JSArsenal

It's easy to check. Go to whoscored.com and you can see customized tables.

You can customize to check "from date" to "to date" table, or season start to "to date" tables.
Thanks a lot.

This day last year: Man City and United were level on points, both unbeaten. Chelsea and Arsenal were 4th and 5th respectively, level on points as well, one point behind Spurs.

In the 2016/17 season, eventual champions Chelsea were 5 points behind City, Spurs were second and we were two points behind City.

Was it Sir Alex who said that the title race didn't start until January?

The table in October doesn't usually reflect how the season will end up.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Thanks a lot.

This day last year: Man City and United were level on points, both unbeaten. Chelsea and Arsenal were 4th and 5th respectively, level on points as well, one point behind Spurs.

In the 2016/17 season, eventual champions Chelsea were 5 points behind City, Spurs were second and we were two points behind City.

Yeah, tables change very quickly with one good run and around Dec.

Also last few years title race was over by Jan. Last year City were so far ahead of others, before that Chelsea. Leicester's was a title race, before that Jose's Chelsea were so far ahead of others.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Arsenal are doing fine. People said they had no chance of finishing above Spurs and here we are not far a third off the table and mind the gap is being trotted out....o.k it's only a goal but still.:lol:

Generally 70-75 points is needed for 4th so Arsenal need just over 50 points to secure it. Generally pretty good against bottom half teams and I'm sure they'll eventually pick up points against top 6-7 teams, probably more at the Emirates.

Could always win the EL to make sure of course but Chelsea favourites to win that I think.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Surely no one can fluke their way to a 9th win in a row! Good jinx attempt.
3 of the 9 were in cup competitions

Impressive run of results yes but like the Arsenal fan said they've been extremely fortunate in at least half of the league games they've won

Neither us nor Arsenal are finishing top 4

Skills

Snitch
Thanks a lot.

They can end in October though. Guardiola and Conte ended the last 2 titles in the first half of the season. They put their opponents to the sword and let the pressure of chasing make the second half of the season a procession.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They can end in October though. Guardiola and Conte ended the last 2 titles in the first half of the season. They put their opponents to the sword and let the pressure of chasing make the second half of the season a procession.
Yep can also add 12/13 as another good example of this.

Pagh Wraith

Don't think Arsenal will be in the mix. They have had a run of easy fixtures and have made a lot from not very much.

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
I’d tend to lean towards that way of thinking.

You can’t have spent so much for them to be all flops, Jose seems to be the common denominator in team performances.

But have you the patience to go again with a new manager/style?

Fourth times a charm..

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Top of the table is insanely close. Calling top 4 right now feels like a mugs game. A few injuries to any of the top sides, and things could change radically.

AlwaysRed66

Two points cover the big five. Unfortunately, we are down with the also rans, & will remain so under this manager.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
It's quite surprising, given that we've not generally played that well, that Spurs are only 2 points from the top of the table … and that's despite only having played 3 'home' games out of 8 so far.

Top 4 will be from current top 5 clubs IMO. Man City are nailed on for top 4, possibly Liverpool too, which would leave one to lose out from amongst Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea

Canagel

Too close to say. We have 3 teams on the same points separated only by GD and 2 teams behind by 2 points.

CA1

It's a written rule that when we're shit, every other team in the country takes confidence and begins to improve.

Wilt

It's quite surprising, given that we've not generally played that well, that Spurs are only 2 points from the top of the table … and that's despite only having played 3 'home' games out of 8 so far.

Top 4 will be from current top 5 clubs IMO. Man City are nailed on for top 4, possibly Liverpool too, which would leave one to lose out from amongst Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea
And not even a little mention for Utd? .......how very dare you!

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
And not even a little mention for Utd? .......how very dare you!
Well, I don't rule out United. It's a long old season and the other contenders can hit slumps, whilst United could improve. I just think it's less than likely, given what I've seen so far.

Enigma_87

You know who
A bit of a knee jerk really?

Spurs and Arsenal will no doubt fall off at some point.

We're only 5 points off top playing really bad lately.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Can we expand it for top 7? Pretty clear we are fighting for 6/7 this season. 5 would be extraordinary and 4th would be Leicester winning the league odds

Last edited:

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
It looks a long shot for us to make it too 4 right now. There’s hope for it to turn around but with arsenal and Chelsea able to rotate more with Europa they might have an edge. If anyone doesn’t make it to the knockout stages it may be the edge that puts a club in top four.