Top Four Race 2018/19

0le

I don't care what the feck Liverpool are doing. We should not entertain losing to City, or any other team for that matter, under any circumstances. The club comes first and we must do everything we can to win that game.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
What happens if we finish 4th, Chelsea or Arsenal finishes 5th but win the Europa? 5 English teams in the Champions' League?

Judas

Open to offers
I still have my doubts about top 4 for us honestly, just with our form, our remaining games. If Newcastle can by some miracle get a point at Arsenal tomorrow though I'll feel a bit better.

I think it all boils down to not trusting that we can get the job done with the way we're currently playing.

Rajma

Spurs will feel pressure to win in their new nano stadium this Wednesday and as we all know they don’t tend to perform well in those situations.

mu4c_20le

Everything is going down the wire from first to sixth place. Mid April is crunch time.

RMD83

As much as we are worrying about our own form let’s not forget about the serial melters we are up against here. Let’s worry about our games and stop expecting the likes or arsenal and spurs to win all their remaining games. Chelsea are also dragging their way through. We can get CL football. Keep the faith.

dove

Can we afford to lose to City? Cause now we fecking have to stop Liverpool winning the league.
Don't worry, if we play like we did against Watford we will not only lose but will also make sure Liverpool has no chance catching City by GD.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Arsenal going 3rd tomorrow? Given their fixtures they'll probably stay there.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
What happens if we finish 4th, Chelsea or Arsenal finishes 5th but win the Europa? 5 English teams in the Champions' League?
Yes although i'm not sure what happens if spurs and arsenal finish in the top 4 whilst we finish fifth but win the champions league and chelsea come sixth but win the europa. Could there be six english teams in?

Raw

Yes although i'm not sure what happens if spurs and arsenal finish in the top 4 whilst we finish fifth but win the champions league and chelsea come sixth but win the europa. Could there be six english teams in?
Nope, 4th place doesn't qualify in that case.

Cal?

CR7 fan
No, 4th placed team doesn’t get CL spot in that case

Irwin99

Spurs will feel pressure to win in their new nano stadium this Wednesday and as we all know they don’t tend to perform well in those situations.
Will they play their champions league game in the new stadium too?

Cristiano Arrogantaldo

Supports
Real Madrid
Maximum is 5 teams. If Utd and Arsenal win as you said then the team finishing 4th drops to Europa League

Thiagoal

Arsenal in pole position to finish third in the league with their remaining games. Think final slot is between Spurs, United and Chelsea.
Arsenal have lots of away games against tough teams (Wolves, Everton, Burnley, Leicester, Watford) added to their Europa exploits and horrendous away record I can see them slipping up in at least a couple!

Djemba-Djemba

Spurs have one point from the last 5 games.

And before they that they scrambled to 3 late fortunate wins in a row.

They haven't played well and won in the league for months.

deafepl

Arsenal have lots of away games against tough teams (Wolves, Everton, Burnley, Leicester, Watford) added to their Europa exploits and horrendous away record I can see them slipping up in at least a couple!
West Ham, Wolves, Watford, and Leicester City will be chasing for 7 spots, that would make it more tricky for Arsenal with their horrendous away record. I think we'll finish in 3rd, with Spurs finishing 4th.

CP will raise their game against Spurs, they have a much better away record than they do at home.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I reckon it'll be us and Arsenal in the top 4. Though it'll be really really really close.
There is no way Spurs are comfortably finishing top 4 with the form they're in. Man. City away looks another automatic loss and I can see them dropping points v a Palace or Bournemouth.

In that situation they finish on 77 points so think in that situation it would certainly go to the final day.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
West Ham, Wolves, Watford, and Leicester City will be chasing for 7 spots, that would make it more tricky for Arsenal with their horrendous away record. I think we'll finish in 3rd, with Spurs finishing 4th.
I asked this question yesterday so apologies is someone quoted me and answered it but does the FA cup runners up still get europa league spot? Assuming Man. City win the other semi final then basically Wolves/Watford would be playing off to play in europe and europa would only go down to 6th.

Chelsea have the toughest away run of anyone in the hunt, three left are Man. United, Liverpool and Leicester. Part of why I'm ruling them out of top 4 race, wouldn't shock me if they only get 2 points out of that.

deafepl

I asked this question yesterday so apologies is someone quoted me and answered it but does the FA cup runners up still get europa league spot? Assuming Man. City win the other semi final then basically Wolves/Watford would be playing off to play in europe and europa would only go down to 6th.

Chelsea have the toughest away run of anyone in the hunt, three left are Man. United, Liverpool and Leicester. Part of why I'm ruling them out of top 4 race, wouldn't shock me if they only get 2 points out of that.
No, If Wolve or Watford finished as runner up, they won't get Europa league spots, they have to win the fa cup to play in Europe or finish in 7th if City wins the FA to play in Europe. .

Havak

Pokemon master
Tightest race in years, both top four and title.

At the moment, I still think we might need six more wins, or might be able to sneak in with five wins and two draws. 75 Points usually feels like it should be automatic top four, but this time I'm feeling more like 77...

Treble

Think we'll beat Wolves but the games vs Wham (in between both legs with Barca where we play 3 games within 7 days), Everton away, City home and Chelsea home might be very difficult and are likely to cost us top 4. If we are only 1-2 pts off top 4 after those 4 games, we'll probably make it.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Worth noting that regardless of their form Spurs didn't deserve to loose today, I think they'll get some W's on the board soon with only really City away left as their cert for dropped points

cyberman

I think Spurs looked a little better than what they are after they scored since Liverpools midfield lost it's head a little bit after the equaliser. Lose v City and I think they're done, the City CL games will be too mentally draining for them. It's one hit to the head after another for them at the moment.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Having looked at the fixtures, I don't know where you guys get the idea Arsenal are home and dry. Their away form is a disgrace.
I actually think Spurs will be fine. 5 of their 7 games are at home in their new stadium, against mid table teams. That should get them over the line.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Having looked at the fixtures, I don't know where you guys get the idea Arsenal are home and dry. Their away form is a disgrace.
I actually think Spurs will be fine. 5 of their 7 games are at home in their new stadium, against mid table teams. That should get them over the line.
The most annoying things in this thread are

A- everyone saying Arsenal have an easy fixture list
B- the continuous asking what the ramifications are if an English side wins both the UCL and EL

trafford1980

I think we’ll miss out if I’m honest, with Spurs and Arsenal to nick the two spots. A bridge too far for us with our current form.

Doesn’t bother me too much though. I’m still ecstatic that Ole’s at least bought us back into the hunt, not too mention navigated us past PSG.

I’m just eager to get this season over with, see how Ole overhauls the squad and hopefully compete from the get-go come August.

Number4.

History suggests United will get in. Only one team have finished top 4 in the last 15 years after entering the Europa league from the start of the competition and that will ultimately cost Chelsea and probably Arsenal.

I think this is the most important top 4 finish since the start of the the PL. If chelsea and spurs miss out they are looking at serious consequences & for United I would guess top 4 is the the difference between retaining DDG, Herrera and attracting genuine elite top talent for next year.

Reactions: SteveJ

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think we’ll miss out if I’m honest, with Spurs and Arsenal to nick the two spots. A bridge too far for us with our current form.

Doesn’t bother me too much though. I’m still ecstatic that Ole’s at least bought us back into the hunt, not too mention navigated us past PSG.

I’m just eager to get this season over with, see how Ole overhauls the squad and hopefully compete from the get-go come August.
If we go by current form then we will finish in top 4. Spurs are in very poor form with 1 point in 5 games.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
For me, United and Spurs are the most likely to reach the top 4.

Chelsea are a poor side - they will drop plenty more points.

Arsenal to continue their tradition of winning all of the home games they are supposed to, and losing their share of the away ones.