Top Four Race 2018/19

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Leicester away is not an easy game at all for Chelsea if europa goes down to 7th. That's why I'm partly still ruling them out although of course if Arsenal don't pick up away the projected points needed will come down.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Spurs vs Everton
Leicester vs Chelsea
Burnley vs Arsenal
Man Utd vs Cardiff
Us and Spurs should win, Arsenal and Chelsea have it tough though. I like our odds if we go into the final game of season 1 point behind either of them.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Arsenal are the gift that keeps on giving. However that Ashley young red and a point dropped at wolves might come to bite us in the end.

Cathy Ferguson

We probably need to beat Chelsea unless we take six points off Everton and City. Four points and a draw might just be enough. Not winning away at Everton will put us in big trouble. Our form as of late has been avarage and Pogba need to step up big time. This will not be easy.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Only 6 games left. We simply must win 5 and draw against City( and give Liverpool title, but i don't care about that). With our form can we beat Chelsea and Everton? Can we stop this City? Lets say that we do all that. Then Arsenal need to drop points in two more games. Will they manage to do that? Yes, they suck in away games but they will play those games like it is CL finals.

Also we must work on our GD.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Arsenal are the gift that keeps on giving. However that Ashley young red and a point dropped at wolves might come to bite us in the end.
Lingard's chance decided that match. With 2 goals up, it would be easy match. We would play on counters, their morale would be low and they would start to think about FA cup.

Suedesi

We won't make top 4 and Liverpool will win the league, City the Champions League, Arsenal will come 4th and Chelsea will win the EL.

How's that for doomday scenario? And what are the odds of that happening?

Cal?

CR7 fan
We won't make top 4 and Liverpool will win the league, City the Champions League, Arsenal will come 4th and Chelsea will win the EL.

That's better than Liverpool winning the PL/CL double. :nervous:

Rafaeldagold

Well it’s all quite apt with brexit happening this year which is obviously a million times worse than those- so makes sense Liverpool will win the league

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I have always quietly thought we'd somehow nick 4th. Or get CL anyway via EL.

win tomorrow night we can go 3 clear of Arsenal, albeit a game more and 5 ahead of Utd. IF we can somehow draw at Anfield, i think we will do it

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
Not overly concerned we lost Everton away is a tough game and we were missing Xhaka and Torreira who just served the last of his 3 game suspension today. Everyone else in the race for 3/4 is going to drop points as well and everyone has tough European matches coming up.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Looking at teams like Chelsea and Arsenal, it's frustrating that we're even competing with them.
We pretty much took the first half of the season off, so I'd imagine us to be comfortably in the top four next season Iregardless of what happens in these next few matches.
That's the kind of prediction that can come back and haunt you, we have no idea how we'll line up next season or who the manager will even be in 12 months time

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
That's the kind of prediction that can come back and haunt you, we have no idea how we'll line up next season or who the manager will even be in 12 months time
Well you'd have to imagine Ole will be the manager in 12 months time given we just appointed him. We don't know how we'll lineup, no. We should be able to at least be as good as we've been in the second half of this season though, if not better.

dove

Looking at teams like Chelsea and Arsenal, it's frustrating that we're even competing with them.
We pretty much took the first half of the season off, so I'd imagine us to be comfortably in the top four next season Iregardless of what happens in these next few matches.
Hard to see us being comfortably in TOP 4 next season. We are a mess.

Trizy

This Arsenal result is even a bigger kick in the teeth that we fecked up the Wolves game.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
This Arsenal result is even a bigger kick in the teeth that we fecked up the Wolves game.
The damage was done earlier on in the season rather than losing a tough away game at Wolves. Drawing against this Arsenal team at home is one of our worst results.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Our only "easy" league game in the next 4 is West Ham at home, and even that is sandwiched between two Barcelona games we'll have to be at our maximum to get through!

Arsenal don't have as easy a run as people suggested, as they do still have 4 aways in 6 games, but we'd certainly swap run ins.

If by any miracle it's still up for grabs by week 37, we can't ask for more, with Huddersfield and Cardiff left!!

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Well you'd have to imagine Ole will be the manager in 12 months time given we just appointed him. We don't know how we'll lineup, no. We should be able to at least be as good as we've been in the second half of this season though, if not better.
Well our current form isn't any better than that for most of the first half of the season so everything points to that being the norm as oppose to our new manager bounce period

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
They have had a lot longer with the players at the club and bought players they want. I suppose they are both better coaches than Mourinho and LVG too? Ferguson as well, since our passing and pressing weren't great under him either. :lol:
Nuno Santos is presently a better coach than Mourinho and certainly LvG, yes.

This is beside the point though - do you doubt that he is certainly a better manager than OGS?

Do you also disagree that Silva has achieved more in the PL than OGS?

NYAS

It's still wide open. But we have to win all remaining League games to have a realistic shot, we absolutely can't afford a slip up anymore.
We most likely can afford a loss to City. But if we feck up any more than that then we’re completely done.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
We most likely can afford a loss to City. But if we feck up any more than that then we’re completely done.
I make you right. 76 points could easily be enough for 4th or even 3rd. A draw added to that though and 74 points looks tough to be enough for top 4. Still maybe many on here will be right, Arsenal won't actually win an away game so even with two home wins they will finish in low 70s as final points total. In that case Man. United just beating Chelsea at OT could be all is required (as well as obviously beating West Ham and your final two easy games).

NYAS

I make you right. 76 points could easily be enough for 4th or even 3rd. A draw added to that though and 74 points looks tough to be enough for top 4. Still maybe many on here will be right, Arsenal won't actually win an away game so even with two home wins they will finish in low 70s as final points total. In that case Man. United just beating Chelsea at OT could be all is required (as well as obviously beating West Ham and your final two easy games).
If Arsenal lose a total of 6 points between now and the end of the season and we beat Chelsea we’ll probably make 4th. That’s why the Everton away game is massive.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Considering we are shit away from home and that United, Chelsea and Tottenham have all difficult games left, i think 72-73 points should be enough to finish in the top 4.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Man. United would finish on 73 points by beating West Ham, Cardiff, Huddersfield and Chelsea.

75 points to me is par, anything more than you'd have to be really unlucky not to make it. Anything less and you're relying on favours from elsewhere.

mu4c_20le

The damage was done earlier on in the season rather than losing a tough away game at Wolves. Drawing against this Arsenal team at home is one of our worst results.
That damage prevented us from being in a title race this season. Wolves was perfectly winnable, but stupid mistakes cost us, this team has been sleepwalking since Paris. I actually had a feeling yesterday thinking about how funny it would be if Arsenal were to slip up, on no other basis other than the fact that theyre in the most comfortable position. Oh well, we're Man United, we'll do things the hard way.

Vadim

Frustrating that our fixtures are so tricky, because Arsenal will continue to drop points. Think Chelsea are firm favourites to get 4th.
Chelsea are fecking horrible. There is no definite for 4th - we’ve all got our issues apart from City and Liverpool.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Frustrating that our fixtures are so tricky, because Arsenal will continue to drop points. Think Chelsea are firm favourites to get 4th.
Have a look at Chelsea's away games.

Sarni

Nuno Santos is presently a better coach than Mourinho and certainly LvG, yes.

This is beside the point though - do you doubt that he is certainly a better manager than OGS?

Do you also disagree that Silva has achieved more in the PL than OGS?
Ole has worked in PL for 4 months at United with very good results and previously at Cardiff for 5 months with bad results (and a bad team).

Nuno has worked in PL for 32 games, very small sample size and he has not really achieved all that much. They are 8th and 1 point above 10th which considering the lack of quality in the bottom half of the league and their investment is probably the right spot to be in.

Silva has been there much longer than either with mixed results at all clubs he’s been at. He was also relegated with Hull (like Ole with Cardiff) yet he doesn’t get half the stick for it. His end to Watford spell was bad, basically aside from their first 7-8 games they were nothing special and he was sacked in January. His results at Everton have been below expectations too. I don’t really get what he ‘achieved’ in PL that puts him so far above Ole in your eyes. His biggest achievement was starting the season well with Watford :lol:

I don’t see how from each of their careers you could draw enough conclusions to be so firm about one being much superior than another, unless you are blinded by liking one and disliking the other, which is clearly the case for your bias here.

If you judge them purely on the most recent time (this season) then Ole has done better than either of them so far, of course. Unless the sample size you want to use has to be the last two or three games, which seems to be what you are trying to use here. :lol:

Last edited:

Sarni

Yeah, Chelsea lost there as well and Arsenal may very well end up dropping points there too.

Everton away will be tough for us too. It’s key that we get at least a point there and beat Chelsea at Old Trafford.

I think 4 wins, a draw and a loss/draw against City could be enough. 74-75 points should be fine to finish above Chelsea and Arsenal. If we beat Chelsea the most they could get would be 78 and they will need to travel to Liverpool and Leicester too. Arsenal can get to 81 by winning out but will realistically drop at least 5-8 more in their remaining 4 road games.

promisedlanchiao

Us and Spurs should win, Arsenal and Chelsea have it tough though. I like our odds if we go into the final game of season 1 point behind either of them.
Burnley will never beat arsenal on the last day. They’ll be safe by then so arsenal will probably even keep an away clean sheet :lol:

Sarni

For us to even be in position to discuss this having been so far behind in December is amazing to be fair.

RuudTom83

Plenty of points to be dropped by all contenders for top 4, it says al lot about the teams and their bottle job tendencies the second any real pressure is put on them.

It will go dow. to who stumbles over the line first, my money would be on Tottenham and Arsenal.

peridigm

They lose, we draw. Death by GD again.

Gasolin

I don't know if we will make it top 4 at this point, but hopefully, the players go fight for it. We're only 3 pts behind 3rd despite all the recent drawbacks, it's not bad.