Tosin Adarabioyo - Available free this summer

Donut

In a recent The Athletic podcast Carl Anka insisted there was a PL centerhalf who is on a free this summer and that we should absolutely sign. He refused to say who, but I'm guessing it's him.
That was weird, why wouldn’t he name him? :houllier: The more I listen to Anka, the more I realize how much shite he talks, but we fall for it because he has a smooth voice.

Johnthedevil

That was weird, why wouldn’t he name him? :houllier: The more I listen to Anka, the more I realize how much shite he talks, but we fall for it because he has a smooth voice.
I've been having a similar realisation myself.

DavelinaJolie

In a recent The Athletic podcast Carl Anka insisted there was a PL centerhalf who is on a free this summer and that we should absolutely sign. He refused to say who, but I'm guessing it's him.
Yeah I'm not sure why he was reluctant to say the name, but I thought it's likely this guy.

Varun1

Varane :D

renatosanches85

I've been having a similar realisation myself.
I find it nigh on impossible to listen to the podcast because of him, he talks so much shite and thinks he is a tactical genius. That nonsense with Tosin was cringe, like PL teams hadn’t cottoned on that he was on a free, and he didn’t want to let the cat out of the bag. I think if I was on a desert island with Anka and a pineapple I’d eat Anka and talk to the pineapple.

Johnthedevil

I find it nigh on impossible to listen to the podcast because of him, he talks so much shite and thinks he is a tactical genius. That nonsense with Tosin was cringe, like PL teams hadn’t cottoned on that he was on a free, and he didn’t want to let the cat out of the bag. I think if I was on a desert island with Anka and a pineapple I’d eat Anka and talk to the pineapple.
Yeah it was super weird, I didn't get that at all. Having said that, I love the pod. It's a bit of sanity amidst the chaos of United. I think Ian Irving's a great presenter.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Not sure about Anka’s football knowledge but I do like him as a person. Quirky guy but seems cool.

renatosanches85

Yeah it was super weird, I didn't get that at all. Having said that, I love the pod. It's a bit of sanity amidst the chaos of United. I think Ian Irving's a great presenter.
Agreed, Irving, Whitwell and Mitten are a great listen. Anka tends to drone on and try to take over though and I find myself tuning out

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I would have thought he'd be a no brainier on a free signing. We need young, quicker defenders and he's got PL experience. Probably a better shout than Lindelof or Evans for most games.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Not sure about Anka’s football knowledge but I do like him as a person. Quirky guy but seems cool.
I've warmed to him. He annoyed me at first with his insistence on going into tactico talk and I think ends up being nonsense most of the time. He seems like he is a proper thorough journalist though and clearly loves the club. They're a really good mix on the pod.

Baxquux

:lol::lol:

userman

Lloyd Kelly?
Way to injuryproned. Missed more than 40 matches the last two seasons, and is injured as we speek.
At this point I’ll simply look at CBs that can stay fit the entire season
This must be one of the criterias, and it might also exclude Tosin (though not as proned to injuries he has missed 12 matches this season) - and is he even that good that he's worth the gamble?

Garnacho's Shoelaces

I guessed it's because he didn't want it getting traction as a transfer rumour with himself cited as the source when there's no indication of United interest.

I personally enjoy Carl. I think he adds more tactical input than Laurie and Andy.

OleGunnar20

I've no idea, especially as probably quite a lot of people figured out who it is (or at least things it's this guy... Who else could it be?).
I mean the only other freebie that makes any kind of sense is Lloyd Kelly, but there's no way it was him.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Is he any good or someone who will be "Deadwood" in 2 seasons?

I don't want someone just because they are available on a free. The player should at least be an able deputy and not look like a misfit if they have to play 5 games in a row due to an injury crisis.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

I don't want someone just because they are available on a free. The player should at least be an able deputy and not look like a misfit if they have to play 5 games in a row due to an injury crisis.
He’s good enough to step in and play when needed. Not world class but good enough.

We don't need to sign exclusively amazing top tier talent players. As long as we can maximize the value of our players and use them properly, we need perhaps 6-7 top class players and can fill out the rest of the squad with decent to good players. When you look at City, Liverpool or Arsenal, they've bought many players that were not considered top talent but have been able to be very successful with them - e.g. in defense the likes of Akanji, Ake, Matip have never been considered amazing talents but they've performed very well when called upon and they were able to get them at decent prices (Ake was quite expensive but still cheap compared to some of our signings). Meanwhile we have gone almost exclusively for expensive, highly rated talent and have spent hundreds of millions on the likes of Maguire, Varane, Lindelof, Martinez, Wan-Bissaka, pretty much never going for bargain/value signings and have exactly 0 defenders that would get in any of the top 3 teams.

Leverkusen who have had such a wonderful season under Alonso have basically built their team with freebies/cheap signings and players that were rated as merely decent at best elsewhere.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
No brainer. Evans is clearly done. Swap the pair, keep hunting for another proper signing.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
As many said, easy decision: counts as player formed in England and formed in the club academy which is handy to follow roster rules and he is actually good enough for a rotation option in the EPL.

daba

He would effectively be replacing Lindelof as well as potentially Evans in the squad. He’d likely be on the same wages as Lindelof is at 100-120k a week, but allows us to sell on Lindelof for hopefully ~15m. This gives us a defender who is taller and more athletic, which we are dearly missing, whilst getting rid of one of the mediocre players who have stuck around for far too long and adding some money to our summer transfer kitty.

Tosin is not going to drastically improve the squad in terms of sheer quality but the overall benefit of doing this piece of business could be relatively significant for the teams culture and for our finances.

Varun1

He would effectively be replacing Lindelof as well as potentially Evans in the squad. He’d likely be on the same wages as Lindelof is at 100-120k a week, but allows us to sell on Lindelof for hopefully ~15m. This gives us a defender who is taller and more athletic, which we are dearly missing, whilst getting rid of one of the mediocre players who have stuck around for far too long and adding some money to our summer transfer kitty.

Tosin is not going to drastically improve the squad in terms of sheer quality but the overall benefit of doing this piece of business could be relatively significant for the teams culture and for our finances.
In other words, it makes too much sense for United (pre-SJR at least).

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
He’s tall, quick, used to the PL and wins a decent amount of duels. For free.

He would be less likely to allow the Mateta goal that happened on Monday due to that alone it’s not a bad investment.

Sarni

In other words, it makes too much sense for United (pre-SJR at least).
In the new United era we will just take it slowly and will first spend weeks thinking whether we should offload Lindelof and Varane, then spend weeks trying to sell them, then we will have to ponder whether we need to replace them, after we finally make up our minds we will then spend months identifying targets and we will eventually land on Tosin, who we will sign in Summer of 2025 for £45m from Everton who will have snapped him up for free in Summer 2024, as only then we will finally obtain an approval from ETH to close the deal.

criticalanalysis

As I said last month:

Sell Lindelof for some money, move his wages to this guy = profit + better, younger and more useful defender. It's not rocket science. Come on INEOS.

GledTheRed

BBC gossip column also quoting a report saying Villa are confident of beating us and Arsenal to him too. I swear if we are serious for him and he ends up at Villa we might as well lock the doors and turn out the lights.
feck me villa already have a better defence than us. Can they sell us Konsa, Paul, or Carlos then? Feed us your scraps please Unai.

Baxquux

feck me villa already have a better defence than us. Can they sell us Konsa, Paul, or Carlos then? Feed us your scraps please Unai.
That might be something to sell him on if the recruitment team have any kind of nous. Being in the doldrums at least allows you to present regular first team football as a more viable opportunity compared to a high-flying team with no obvious need to replace one of their defensive starters

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
He’s good enough to step in and play when needed. Not world class but good enough.

We don't need to sign exclusively amazing top tier talent players. As long as we can maximize the value of our players and use them properly, we need perhaps 6-7 top class players and can fill out the rest of the squad with decent to good players. When you look at City, Liverpool or Arsenal, they've bought many players that were not considered top talent but have been able to be very successful with them - e.g. in defense the likes of Akanji, Ake, Matip have never been considered amazing talents but they've performed very well when called upon and they were able to get them at decent prices (Ake was quite expensive but still cheap compared to some of our signings). Meanwhile we have gone almost exclusively for expensive, highly rated talent and have spent hundreds of millions on the likes of Maguire, Varane, Lindelof, Martinez, Wan-Bissaka, pretty much never going for bargain/value signings and have exactly 0 defenders that would get in any of the top 3 teams.

Leverkusen who have had such a wonderful season under Alonso have basically built their team with freebies/cheap signings and players that were rated as merely decent at best elsewhere.
I agree. I haven't seen the player much and was wondering if he has enough quality to be good whenever he is called upon. I would like us lose the quartet of Lindelof, Maguire, Varane and Evans this coming window and go for at least two more CB's who are starting quality (rcb and lcb each). Ideally use Martinez and Shaw as the rotation options for the LCB position. Though, losing 4 and getting 3 center backs in might be too much churn for a single window. Is he good enough to be a starter for next season while we are transitioning?

He would effectively be replacing Lindelof as well as potentially Evans in the squad. He’d likely be on the same wages as Lindelof is at 100-120k a week, but allows us to sell on Lindelof for hopefully ~15m. This gives us a defender who is tall and more athletic, which we are dearly missing, whilst getting rid of one of the mediocre players who have stuck around for far too long and adding some money to our summer transfer kitty.

Cheers!

Sarni

BBC gossip column also quoting a report saying Villa are confident of beating us and Arsenal to him too. I swear if we are serious for him and he ends up at Villa we might as well lock the doors and turn out the lights.
We might not have enough time to prepare the bid, in which case you can’t blame us for losing out to Villa. The issue we quite often face is that we take time to prepare our bid, and always ensure they are meticulously crafted, handwritten on a high quality sheet of paper, while other teams just fax them. I hope we never become like them though even if it costs us a few transfers here and there.

The Urban Goose

We might not have enough time to prepare the bid, in which case you can’t blame us for losing out to Villa. The issue we quite often face is that we take time to prepare our bid, and always ensure they are meticulously crafted, handwritten on a high quality sheet of paper, while other teams just fax them. I hope we never become like them though even if it costs us a few transfers here and there.
That's the old Woodwood/Murtough days. These days it's done within minutes, SJR writes a number in oil on the back of an old handkerchief and Dave gets one of his cyclists to courier it round.

The Urban Goose

I thought that was utterly pathetic, as though no-one else in the industry would be aware of this player and they're all waiting for the great Carl Anka to disclose who the good players are. It was playground stuff.

mikeyt

No brainer on a free, we need to offload three CBs this season in Maguire, Lindelof and Evans. This guy would 100% fill one of those squad places. As it's a no brainer, there's no way this happens.

Shinjch

If he has the ability to stay fit for most of the season then I am not against him.

SparkedIntoLife

It makes all the sense in the world to have this guy and a younger challenger as our ‘right centre back’ options next season. Whether that RCD is Kambwala or someone like Anselmino, Tosin is a good, free homegrown option to help an eventual superstar develop.