Transgender Athletes

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Again they are not excluded. As an example was Lia Thomas excluded before moving to female swimming? Is there actually a problem with Lia Thomas, who is born a male to compete with other male born athletes? No one prevented that and we have records of it.

And more scholarship don't fix the issue when it comes to fairness. If we stick to Lia Thomas the 500th male isn't going to get access to the same schools than the 8th woman, even if you add scholarship hundreds of male and females are unfairly downgraded for no good reason.

And I would agree with you, if it was a case of exclusion but it's not.
I'm really not getting your point, there have been dozens of bills passed in the US to exclude transgender kids from sports. How can you argue it's not about exclusion?

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
The only way, which isn't a perfect solution, is to just create new categories for each so you'd have mens, womens, transmens and transfemales events. There's really no other way if you want to avoid banning.
That's effectively a ban, because in most schools there simply aren't transgender kids to start teams. A transgender girl who wants to play basketball will be a team of one, if she wants to run, she will have no one to run against.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm really not getting your point, there have been dozens of bills passed in the US to exclude transgender kids from sports. How can you argue it's not about exclusion?
From all categories? It's a genuine question.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Male category, female category and open category is probably the best. But you could only apply for one category, with the female category ringfenced for biological females.
A transgender 14 year old girl would have no one to form a team with and no one to compete against. It would be a ban in practice.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
A transgender 14 year old girl would have no one to form a team with and no one to compete against. It would be a ban in practice.
If we're talking about school sports, the number of non-binary, and trans (both ways) people is increasing, so it'd be a reasonable assumption that she wouldn't be alone.

If we're talking about professional sport, the same logic applies. Team sports I guess is a whole other convo. But much of the recent discussion is centred on solo sports, so it's not a bad solution.

JPRouve

Scout
Sorry I misinterpreted you. Yes, the bans apply to both transgender boys and girls.
It's not my question. Are transgenred girls allowed to compete in boys competition? As an example was Lia Thomas allowed to compete in males swimming?

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
If we're talking about school sports, the number of non-binary, and trans (both ways) people is increasing, so it'd be a reasonable assumption that she wouldn't be alone.

If we're talking about professional sport, the same logic applies. Team sports I guess is a whole other convo. But much of the recent discussion is centred on solo sports, so it's not a bad solution.
Very rudimentary maths, I'll give you that.

Numbers say there are about 300.000 transgender kids in the US, lets assume 150.000 transgender girls. There are 42.000 high schools in the US, so lets round it to 4 transgender girls per high school. Even if they all wanted to play the same sport, which is obviously irrealistic, it wouldn't be enough to start a team. So, in practice, they would be excluded from sports.

Let's say it' s a solo sport, like running. What are the odds that more than one girl would want to practice it per school? Very low, so is the school going to allocate resources, like a coach and travels to competitions for just one kid? In an ideal world, sure, in practice, this hypothetical girl would be excluded from sports.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
It's not my question. Are transgenred girls allowed to compete in boys competition? As an example was Lia Thomas allowed to compete in males swimming?
The bills I've seen passed state kids have to compete in the category of their sex at birth. So transgender girls would be allowed to play in a boys' team I guess. But let's be honest, what girl would want to share a locker room with boys or to be constantly reminded that her school community doesn't see her for who she is? So again, in practice, it's a ban.

stepic

Nope, you tell me. You used the distinction, you qualify it.
if you don't understand what cis and trans means, that's on you, and i suggest you plug them into google right now and you'll find out within a few seconds.

Then you have an issue with the whole concept of competitive sport. Which is strange for someone posting on a website dedicated to exactly that.
i enjoy competitive sports, sure, but i also know there is no such thing as pure equality. there is a vast array of differing natural talents, primarily between cis people. it doesn't stop our enjoyment of it, knowing some athletes are naturally more gifted than others.

in sports such as football it's even worse, with the lack of financial equality within the game.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
When you take a step back it is a little odd that competing against cis women in sports is seen as an important part of feeling accepted as a trans woman. There’s a really nice example in this documentary of a trans woman who plays for a male football team at an international level without having to change or deny who they really are (2m05s). It helps that they come from a culture with a very long history of acceptance and integration of trans/non-binary people.

JPRouve

Scout
The bills I've seen passed state kids have to compete in the category of their sex at birth. So transgender girls would be allowed to play in a boys' team I guess. But let's be honest, what girl would want to share a locker room with boys or to be constantly reminded that her school community doesn't see her for who she is? So again, in practice, it's a ban.
That applies both ways. You have no issue putting a boy in girls locker room but immediately mentions that a girl wouldn't want to be in a locker room with boys.

And sport categories are partially based on sex at birth because the sex at birth creates major differences that we already mentioned in the thread. On average a male will develop in a way that gives him massive advantages against females. So in order to allow females to compete at an elite level they have their own category. Everyone is welcomed in the male categories as far as I know, at the exception of certain combat sports.

JPRouve

Scout
if you don't understand what cis and trans means, that's on you, and i suggest you plug them into google right now and you'll find out within a few seconds.
No, state the difference. We both know what it is and you know that it's the core issue and why you are playing this game.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
That applies both ways. You have no issue putting a boy in girls locker room but immediately mentions that a girl wouldn't want to be in a locker room with boys.
I'm sorry, what? I want to put boys in girls' locker rooms? What gave you that idea?

And sport categories are partially based on sex at birth because the sex at birth creates major differences that we already mentioned in the thread. On average a male will develop in a way that gives him massive advantages against females. So in order to allow females to compete at an elite level they have their own category. Everyone is welcomed in the male categories as far as I know, at the exception of certain combat sports.
From what I read, when kids transition very young, when they are young teenagers the differences are none or close to none.

I don't know why you keep bringing up elite sports, I'm talking about kids playing sports in high school, not the olympics.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

Numbers say there are about 300.000 transgender kids in the US, lets assume 150.000 transgender girls. There are 42.000 high schools in the US, so lets round it to 4 transgender girls per high school. Even if they all wanted to play the same sport, which is obviously irrealistic, it wouldn't be enough to start a team. So, in practice, they would be excluded from sports.

Let's say it' s a solo sport, like running. What are the odds that more than one girl would want to practice it per school? Very low, so is the school going to allocate resources, like a coach and travels to competitions for just one kid? In an ideal world, sure, in practice, this hypothetical girl would be excluded from sports.
Having an open category resolves everything you've posted here.

If we're saying there are 150,000 transgender girls (also weird that transwoman written like that is considered dogwhistling, but transgender is ok @stepic ) then we can assume there are at most 150,000 transgender boys and another %age of non-binary, with these numbers only rising if current trends hold. An open category means anyone that doesn't feel comfortable competing with biological males are free to compete in this category. What / how the US allocates time and resource to this is a separate conversation, but I don't think things are as disaggregated as you say.

JPRouve

Scout
I'm sorry, what? I want to put boys in girls' locker rooms? What gave you that idea?
The fact that you specifically mentioned it as an issue in one way but not the other? But maybe I assumed incorrectly in which case your point is moot.

From what I read, when kids transition very young, when they are young teenagers the differences are none or close to none.

I don't know why you keep bringing up elite sports, I'm talking about kids playing sports in high school, not the olympics.
Because the point of this thread and this issue is elite sport.

And why should kid transition very young? That's an issue in itself. Also no teenage is too late from what I understand, you have already developped your skeleton and organs as a male or female.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Having an open category resolves everything you've posted here.

If we're saying there are 150,000 transgender girls (also weird that transwoman written like that is considered dogwhistling, but transgender is ok @stepic ) then we can assume there are at most 150,000 transgender boys and another %age of non-binary, with these numbers only rising if current trends hold. An open category means anyone that doesn't feel comfortable competing with biological males are free to compete in this category. What / how the US allocates time and resource to this is a separate conversation, but I don't think things are as disaggregated as you say.
I'm sure some adults would accept an open category in professional sports, I would leave that decision to them.

But when it comes to school sports, two major problems with an open category.

As I've stated multiple times, school sports are about health, inclusion, friendship and well being in general. Having an open category would be a clear message to young kids, still developing their identity, that they are different and their school doesn't accept them for who they are. Studies are clear on the impact of this exclusion on kids' mental health. This is a price I don't think we as a community should be willing to pay.

Second, you're putting a very diverse group of people in the same bag. You would have transgender girls who refuse to play in boys teams even if they are legally allowed because they don't want to share locker rooms with boys, because they want to develop those relations of team spirit and companionship with other girls, etc. Now you're putting them in a locker room with transgender boys who are, in all practical terms of their identity development, boys. This would be cruel and a completely disregard for who these kids are.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
The fact that you specifically mentioned it as an issue in one way but not the other? But maybe I assumed incorrectly in which case your point is moot.
Either you're not being clear or my comprehension skills are not that good.

Transgender girls don't want to share a locker room with boys and transgender boys don't want to share a locker room with girls. So even if the law says they can, they won't want to do it, and rightfully so. So, you can hide behind the law all you want, but in practice, you're banning them.

Because the point of this thread and this issue is elite sport.

And why should kid transition very young? That's an issue in itself.
I've been talking non stop about school sports.

JPRouve

Scout
Either you're not being clear or my comprehension skills are not that good.

Transgender girls don't want to share a locker room with boys and transgender boys don't want to share a locker room with girls. So even if the law says they can, they won't want to do it, and rightfully so. So, you can hide behind the law all you want, but in practice, you're banning them.

I've been talking non stop about school sports.
Do girls want to share a locker room with transgender girls and boys want to share a locker room with transgender boys? That's the reciprocal I alluded to.

And we are talking about elite sport which includes schools sports. We are talking about high level competitive sport at local, state, national and global level. I could be wrong but you seem to think that the issue concerns leisure sports, in which case we agree categories aren't important.

stepic

No, state the difference. We both know what it is and you know that it's the core issue and why you are playing this game.
i'm not playing any game, you clearly are though.

Trans is an umbrella term to describe people whose gender is not the same as the sex they were assigned at birth.

Cisgender, or simply cis, is an adjective that describes a person whose gender identity aligns with the sex they were assigned at birth - i.e. not trans.

so go on, let's hear it.

JPRouve

Scout
i'm not playing any game, you clearly are though.

Trans is an umbrella term to describe people whose gender is not the same as the sex they were assigned at birth.

Cisgender, or simply cis, is an adjective that describes a person whose gender identity aligns with the sex they were assigned at birth - i.e. not trans.

so go on, let's hear it.
So there is a distinction and that distinction makes a difference between both which is why there are categories in sport.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Do girls want to share a locker room with transgender girls and boys want to share a locker room with transgender boys? That's the reciprocal I alluded to.

And we are talking about elite sport which includes schools sports. We are talking about high level competitive sport at local, state, national and global level. I could be wrong but you seem to think that the issue concerns leisure sports, in which case we agree categories aren't important.
I don't have the data to answer your first question. It's anecdotal, I know, but when the law changed in Portugal the vast majority of high school students were ok with sharing bathrooms and locker rooms with transgender kids.

Speaking for myself, if I'm in a locker room, it would be much much more uncomfortable having a transgender woman walk in than a transgender man. I assume it would be the same for students. After all, they know these kids from school context and they're very likely to know that's who they are, they not faking their whole identity just to perv on locker rooms.

I already disagreed plenty of times that schools sports should have different objectives from pro sports. Well being, health, inclusion and friendship are more important than just win.

stepic

So there is a distinction and that distinction makes a difference between both which is why there are categories in sport.
christ all that effort just for your point to be that trans people are not cis. well done.

JPRouve

Scout
christ all that effort just for your point to be that trans people are not cis. well done.
I stated that they were different from the start, you are the one who tried to pretend that there were no distinctions. So well done to you for accepting it.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

Maybe the best compromise would be to allow trans women to compete in women's sports up to a certain point. Once it gets to the level of National or State championships then that would be limited to women athletes who did not go through male puberty. I recognize that won't please everyone but I think it might be the best way to accommodate the "average" trans woman's ability to compete in sports for health, camaraderie, etc while also ensuring that advantages gained from male puberty do not skew the most competitive levels of competition.

I realize some from both sides might not like that compromise but, to me at least, it seems like it would be fair to the greatest number of people.

stepic

I stated that they were different from the start, you are the one who tried to pretend that there were no distinctions. So well done to you for accepting it.
please show me where i have stated that there is literally no difference between a cis and trans person.

JPRouve

Scout
please show me where i have stated that there is literally no difference between a cis and trans person.
if she comes third and therefore strips a cis woman of third, then so be it. the cis woman who now finished 4th also lost to 2 other cis women, so what's the difference?
This is an example of pretending that the are no differences. The difference is that the cis woman lost a spot to a male, a male that has biological advantages. Which is the entire issue.

PS: I did make a mistake in my post to Carolina Red when I used women instead of cis women or females.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
But school sports should not be. You just agreed to that. So lets make that distinction between professional sports and school sports. If scholarships are that much of a concern, just add a few more, I doubt the number of transgender girls getting scholarships would be that big to actually make a difference to universities.
Yes, I agree that school sports, but at some stage, later on at school, those sports start to matter (especially in the States), because they can garner places in college. So I get your point "just offer more scholarships or places at college" but I am not sure how this helps or solves the wider challenges of this situation.

stepic

This is an example of pretending that the are no differences. The difference is that the cis woman lost a spot to a male, a male that has biological advantages. Which is the entire issue.

PS: I did make a mistake in my post to Carolina Red when I used women instead of cis women or females.
trans and cis women are both women.

there is a difference between a blonde-haired woman and a brunette, but they're still both women.

hope this helps.

JPRouve

Scout
trans and cis women are both women.

there is a difference between a blonde-haired woman and a brunette, but they're still both women.

hope this helps.
So you are suggesting that the differences between a cis and trans woman are similar to the differences between two people with different hair pigmentation. That's interesting.

Carolina Red

Staff
Apparently some folks think that school sports are akin to playing hit and giggle croquet in the back yard.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
So you don't think there should be tryouts and cuts for school sports?
It seems that we're just ignoring that at any level and any age group, competitive sports is, by its nature, exclusionary to at least some degree.

An interest in a sport is not necessarily always enough to facilitate your inclusion in a competitive version of it.

Carolina Red

Staff
It seems that we're just ignoring that at any level and any age group, competitive sports is, by its nature, exclusionary to at least some degree.

An interest in a sport is not necessarily always enough to facilitate your inclusion in a competitive version of it.
Agreed.

JPRouve

Scout
Apparently some folks think that school sports are akin to playing hit and giggle croquet in the back yard.
It reads like that. In France you have PE, leisure sports(at all ages) and competitive sports. The later is systematically divided by categories whether it is skills level, sex, weight or age.