Tweets Only 2010/14 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comsmit

He was injured on 26th September....not sure if they had played a Europa tie by then? Probably yes.

Stramaccioni is not missing him right now and I believe there is a consensus among the supporters and the board that it might be time to offload him. Inter are in austerity mode at present and probably desperate to get his stonking salary off the bill. You can understand why, he has been injured a hell of a lot in the past two years, and his form has suffered as a result.

If he were to come to United he would have to take a wage cut surely. This time Ferguson might have more success though, all about timing. It's his injury record that concerns me more than anything.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
2 things...

1) We don't need another player in the position that lately Rooney is occupying and that Kagawa was obviously signed for.

2) Him and RVP hate each other.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Inter's in the Europa League so I'm thinking yes.
I think he can still play in the CL if signed in January if I recall the rules correctly. You are allowed one such player.

gza the genius

He'd be great cover for Kagawa. Which other attacking mid are we going to play out of position while Kagawa is injured? Exactly, no one.

If we got Sneijder I'd be very angry. It'd be sort of like the RvP purchase, only instead of buying a world class player in a position we don't need players for we'd be buying someone who is in a seemingly sharp decline in a position we don't need players for.

OGkush

Hey man, got any papers?
Now if only we'd be hearing/reading rumours about players like Gundogan, De Rossi, Moutinho or Strootman instead of Sneijder & co.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
@BBCSport: Chelsea are in talks about a deal that could see former striker Didier Drogba return to Stamford Bridge on loan #bbcfootball

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Is he still active for the Ivory Coast? He'll miss January in that case; when would the Chinese league restart?

Slightly brave move on his part, as right now his final kick for the club is winning them the Champions League - that's a hell of a note to go out on.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Good. Chelsea fecked up by not having enough strikers. They shouldn't be allowed one outside the transfer window.

Varun

Staff
FIFA have now turned down Drogba's request to leave Shanghai Shenhua on loan so that won't be happening.
It was always going to be rejected. Didnt they reject both henry and becks's requests too?

Good for us. Chelsea are screwed now and should not be allowed to rectify their mistake.

RedRover

It was always going to be rejected. Didnt they reject both henry and becks's requests too?

Good for us. Chelsea are screwed now and should not be allowed to rectify their mistake.
Till January. When they will buy a striker.

I understood that Drogba would only be coming in on loan when the transfer window opened anyway?

Varun

Staff
Till January. When they will buy a striker.

I understood that Drogba would only be coming in on loan when the transfer window opened anyway?
No, he was requesting to move outside the window which would have helped Chelsea for an entire month.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
No, he was requesting to move outside the window which would have helped Chelsea for an entire month.
Yep. ACON starts in January so moving in January wouldn't have done him much good. He wanted to keep up his fitness ahead of ACON so wanted to move outside of the window as the Chinese season had ended.

Brophs

The One and Only
Dave Goddard ‏@DaveGoddard1971
Am being told that Chelsea have a strong interest in #MUFC's Nani. Weighing up a Jan bid.

Hmmm. "Weighing up."

Baxter

@DaveGoddard1971: Am being told that Chelsea have a strong interest in #MUFC's Nani. Weighing up a Jan bid.

He got Van Persie a week or so before. Fifa registered agent, who's actually listed on their website.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Why the feck do Chelsea even need him?
They need a striker. They've enough of attacking midfielders/wingers.

Varun

Staff
Doubt SAF would sell him to anyone in England.

He should attract good clubs from abroad too so we'l have choices.

Much like RVP though, depends on the player.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Doubt SAF would sell him to anyone in England.

He should attract good clubs from abroad too so we'l have choices.

Much like RVP though, depends on the player.
Mitten speculated that an English club are interested and that Nani will pay there. If Chelsea want to pay 20 - 25m for him then SAF will take that IMO. Mitten also stated that the playing staff do not view Nani as being top level so they might be less worried about him playing for a rival.

lysglimt

Scout
Mitten speculated that an English club are interested and that Nani will pay there. If Chelsea want to pay 20 - 25m for him then SAF will take that IMO. Mitten also stated that the playing staff do not view Nani as being top level so they might be less worried about him playing for a rival.
Nani isn't top-level - and at the age of 26 I think it's same to assume he never will be.

Brophs

The One and Only
Mitten also stated that the playing staff do not view Nani as being top level so they might be less worried about him playing for a rival.
I just read the article again. Unless it has since been edited, he didn't say that.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
I just read the article again. Unless it has since been edited, he didn't say that.

He would have given Nani a new contract earlier in the year, but one on his old terms of £80,000 rather than the £125,000 that he demanded during negotiations in the summer. He initially thought that he could follow compatriot Cristiano Ronaldo’s contract curve, with improved deals each time. United didn’t agree.

So why the change of heart from United, why the cooling of interest? Put simply, the club don’t think he’s as good as he thinks he is. They don’t think he’s improved his game sufficiently as they’d hoped and felt let down by the player at several points last season.

Just as Sir Alex’s mind was made up by Dimitar Berbatov’s inability to change big matches which would ultimately leave to his departure, so United have lost confidence in Nani. Berbatov’s inability to take two chances against City in the 2011 FA Cup final went badly against him, so Nani’s performances against City in the crucial April derby did the same.

None of the coaching staff doubt Nani’s raw talent and his instinct in matches which can lead to moments of genius. There have been times when Nani has been United’s most creative player, the closest to one the team have had since selling Ronaldo to Madrid in 2009. He has improved, no doubt. Ferguson even complimented him on his “maturity” at the start of 2010, while he was nominated for the PFA Young Player of the Year in 2011, a season when he was also named in the PFA Team of the Year alongside team mates Edwin van der Sar, Nemanja Vidic and Dimitar Berbatov. But his progress was not as good as United expected in 2011-12

It isn't a great leap to read between those lines.

If Mitten is to be believed then the club clearly do not feel that Nani is top level.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
All of the above makes sense. However, when many of Arsenal's youngest, non-first team players are allegedly on £60000 per week, Nani asking for £125k doesn't seem that unreasonable.

Varun

Staff
25mil would be hard to turn down given his contract situation, true. I dont agree at all with the top level bollox. If he isnt top level, none of our wingers are.

Nani isn't top-level - and at the age of 26 I think it's same to assume he never will be.
Well, if he's being let go because of how good he is, it should spell trouble for the other 2 wingers too. Somehow, i dont see it happening.

There are very few wingers better in world football than Nani, so unless we're changing the system, we're not going to replace him with someone better if 80k is our limit.

Varun

Staff
All of the above makes sense. However, when many of Arsenal's youngest, non-first team players are allegedly on £60000 per week, Nani asking for £125k doesn't seem that unreasonable.
Exactly. If Young actually is on 100k a week, Nani is damn right to want more. Good luck to us if we're thinking of getting someone of similar quality in at lower wages.

finneh

Well, if he's being let go because of how good he is, it should spell trouble for the other 2 wingers too. Somehow, i dont see it happening.

There are very few wingers better in world football than Nani, so unless we're changing the system, we're not going to replace him with someone better if 80k is our limit.
Definitely agree. I'd say he's in the top 5 wingers in the world if you discount Ronaldo/Messi.

LondonRed

Exactly. If Young actually is on 100k a week, Nani is damn right to want more. Good luck to us if we're thinking of getting someone of similar quality in at lower wages.
As far as I am aware, wages in the Portugese league are pretty low compared to players respective transfer fees. Hence, Rodriguez would be on lower if he were to arrive and I cannot imagine Isco is on anything like 100k a week at his tender age.

I know Isco isn't a winger but I would take any of those two over Nani, especially if we are transitioning into a team that doesn't play with out and out wingers, or at least 2 out and out wingers.

Varun

Staff
As far as I am aware, wages in the Portugese league are pretty low compared to players respective transfer fees. Hence, Rodriguez would be on lower if he were to arrive and I cannot imagine Isco is on anything like 100k a week at his tender age.

I know Isco isn't a winger but I would take any of those two over Nani, especially if we are transitioning into a team that doesn't play with out and out wingers, or at least 2 out and out wingers.
If we go for either of the 2, it'd cost us a bomb considering the competition that'l be there for their transfer. Say it costs us 35mil while we sell Nani for 15mil. That means an additional cost of 20mil. I agree they'l want much smaller contracts. Say 50-60k. nani wants 125k which means a saving of about 4mil a year. In 3yrs time, whoever we sign would be wanting a much better contract. The math simply tells me there's no way we can make any saving overall.

The only thing we'l do is let go of a proven top winger and get someone with potential in and develop them. I wont be against it at all but if we are to buy them, it shouldnt be at the expense of letting go of Nani.

MDFC Manager

Our interest in Lucas (and Hazard before that) suggests that we are certainly in the market for an explosive and talented attacking player and the money that we were prepared to spend of both of them suggests that we will not shy from spending similar sums on another target of similar qualities.

Status
Not open for further replies.