Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffFromHK

That pressure-less miscontrol of the ball to gift a throw in for City at the beginning of the game set the tone of the game.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Malacia hasn't earned a start and Shaw is a top-class player when in form, no reason not to see if he can find it.
Shaw needs to show form when he gets his chances to earn a run. One game where everyone was poor doesnt mean Malacia deserves to be dropped.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Bad game for him meant he wasn't involved and people want his head for Shaw. Bad games for Shaw in these kind of results was when he and Maguire combined gifted teams 3-4 goals regulary.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Tough game for the lad but only the big games like today will make or break him. He will learn, just hope he will keep his intensity which I think he's slightly lacking lately..

Jev

Shaw needs to show form when he gets his chances to earn a run. One game where everyone was poor doesnt mean Malacia deserves to be dropped.
Malacia has been poor for a while. His offensive output is non-existant and it's hindering us a lot.

Jev

Bad game for him meant he wasn't involved and people want his head for Shaw. Bad games for Shaw in these kind of results was when he and Maguire combined gifted teams 3-4 goals regulary.
Are you honestly suggested that Shaw is getting an easier ride by the fans who never want to see him on the pitch again because a kid had two decent games to start with?

Cassidy

Are you honestly suggested that Shaw is getting an easier ride by the fans who never want to see him on the pitch again because a kid had two decent games to start with?
A kid…

Cassidy

Yes he has (quality discussion, by the way)
Hes played well defensively, so he has not been poor. Plays with intensity and helps with the build up and beating the press with being comfortable with the ball.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
No he hasn’t
He’s not been good. He’s been new. Which naturally stops things from being black and white. Hopefully he starts being good before he stops being new, otherwise the tone will change massively.

Idxomer

Malacia already made a lot of mistakes defensively, he just hasn't been punished enough.

The bigger problem he has offered almost nothing in attack so far.

Cassidy

He’s not been good. He’s been new. Which naturally stops things from being black and white. Hopefully he starts being good before he stops being new, otherwise the tone will change massively.
Hes not been poor

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Malacia hasn't earned a start and Shaw is a top-class player when in form, no reason not to see if he can find it.
You have bad memory. We lost out first 2 premier league games with Shaw stinking up the place. He was benched for Malacia and we went to win 5 premier league games on a row, with Malacia being one of our best players.

Just because we lost to the best team in the world, doesn't means he has to lost his place.

Jev

Hes played well defensively, so he has not been poor. Plays with intensity and helps with the build up with being comfortable with the ball.
He's done nothing of note offensively after more than a handful of games. Did I read it right, he's averaging ONE cross every four games? That's damning. He's been decent defensively and I like his energy but for a modern fullback, that's not acceptable and he has no business starting until he becomes more courageous in attack.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Feck me the tone in this thread has shifted quickly. Everyone was laughing at me for trying to temper expectations around him and doubt whether he was ready for the PL.

I didnt catch the first half tlday, but I guess he was cack then?
Not as bad as Dalot but he didn't defend particularly well and didn't do anything in attack. We shouldn't have let Foden get the number of shots away that we did, shooting technique is his one strength really and it was too easy for him.

In Malacia's defence on the attacking front though I did get annoyed a couple of times when he was in loads of space and instead Martinez or Eriksen decided to try and pump a long ball into the box or a difficult switch out right, including one time where Walker was off the bloody pitch. By no means our worst player but needs to improve. I'm sure he will have learned something from the game though at least, very challenging day for him.

saivet

A good work ethic and determination have helped him but objectively he hasn't been all that good. Still looks like a good signing so far given the fee and decent performance levels.

Cassidy

He’s not been good either. He’s been just about a minimum acceptable level on the whole.
I disgaree but hey ho. I think hes played well and has been important to us being comfortable with the ball when we have it at the back.

With regards to attacking output, I agree but thats not his only job

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I disgaree but hey ho. I think hes played well and has been important to us being comfortable with the ball when we have it at the back
He’s not that special on the ball IMO. It’s night and day between him and Shaw in that regard, and if that is his main redeeming quality then I’d argue that it underlines my point of overall averageness. Cancelo is good on the ball.

Telsim

Beyond awful today. He just refuses to get involved forward, something not exclusive to this game but in general, and I can't tell if it's instructions by the manager or his own inability.

Cassidy

He’s not that special on the ball IMO. It’s night and day between him and Shaw in that regard, and if that is his main redeeming quality then I’d argue that it underlines my point of overall averageness. Cancelo is good on the ball.
Night and day yet when Martinez plays him the ball in tight spaces we do not lose it and we don’t go long. Shaw on the other hand couldn't manage in the first 2 games of the season and was giving the ball away. No one called Malacia special, but hes played well

MDFC Manager

Good little reality check. He's decent, got a load of heart and guts, but honestly, the quality isn't too high. Good squad player I think.

Cassidy

Jheeze its knee jerk season in here

criticalanalysis

Night and day yet when Martinez plays him the ball in tight spaces we do not lose it and we don’t go long. Shaw on the other hand couldn't manage in the first 2 games of the season and was giving the ball away. No one called Malacia special, but hes played well
Yeah I find it strange people do not see this. Malacia is very press resistant and one of the reasons why we don't lump it long.

I can accept criticism regarding his game going forward in terms of expansive passing/crossing/overlaps etc (although I do think it's tactical) but on the ball he's very solid.

Jev

He has yet to be as shite as Shaw the past season.
True but irrelevant. It's one of the few positions where we have a decent alternative and Malacia hasn't done enough to not give the other guy a shot. He's hardly crossed the halfway line for five games.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Malacia already made a lot of mistakes defensively, he just hasn't been punished enough.

The bigger problem he has offered almost nothing in attack so far.
Being beaten 1 on 1 is not the same as being out of position, not following offside line, having no idea where he man is and stuff like that. So he won't be punished that easily because he generally looks like he knows how to defend and is not getting caught off position.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Shaw is much better than Malacia on the ball, regardless of whether or not he lost the ball against Brighton.

Chief123

How has Shaw become top class again after looking a shambles for so long in the team? :lol:

Another couple of weeks, Maguire will be world class too and should start at all costs.:lol:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How has Shaw become top class again after looking a shambles for so long in the team? :lol:

Another couple of weeks, Maguire will be world class too and should start at all costs.:lol:
Especially as Shaw came on and kept everyone onside for the 5th? goal

Chief123

Especially as Shaw came on and kept everyone onside for the 5th? goal
It’s unbelievable how amazing our players look when they have been sat on the bench. It’s like people completely forget why he’s even on the bench.

Shaw has been absolutely atrocious for well over a year along with Maguire. But now he’s back to being world class again. He’s got a long way to go to show he’s back to being useful. Not just a second half cameo against a Man City team already in the showers.

Cassidy

Shaw is much better than Malacia on the ball, regardless of whether or not he lost the ball against Brighton.
In attack he is. I don’t think he is in general when put under pressure in our own half. Its not just Brighton

Idxomer

It’s unbelievable how amazing our players look when they have been sat on the bench. It’s like people completely forget why he’s even on the bench.

Shaw has been absolutely atrocious for well over a year along with Maguire. But now he’s back to being world class again. He’s got a long way to go to show he’s back to being useful. Not just a second half cameo against a Man City team already in the showers.
No one is saying Shaw is top class again.

He has more in his locker than Malacia who has been ok at best so far and has his own set of flaws.

Cassidy

He has more in his locker than Malacia who has been ok at best so far and has his own set of flaws.
No he doesn’t because he positioning and defending is poor

Chief123

He may be more talented than Malacia overall but I would take Malacia’s energy, desire, determination every single day of the week without any doubt.

The problem when a player is out of the team is it’s easy to ponder on the positives he could bring to the team rather than the negatives he brings.

We’ve been talking about Shaw’s “talent” for nearly 10 years. Malacia more than deserves a chance to earn a regular spot. A battering by Man City doesn’t change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.