Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedOrange

While he was at fault for the goal, I put most of the blame for that on Sancho for his idiotic decision to play the pass back there. But even aside from the conceded goal, Malacia was struggling a lot. He was given a lot of space in the final third tonight and he struggled to do anything with it. The little defending he had to do in that half, he struggled with that as well. I'm not sure if Malacia should lose his starting place yet but he has struggled a lot in his last two appearances, and Shaw has looked better.
I posted the same thing in the match thread. It was an awful first touch from Malacia but Sancho passes back almost every time and the opponents know it. They sit 20 feet off the last man back and sprint at the defender when Sancho looks back. It's a difficult situation for the defender. If Malacia doesn't have a bad first touch there he likely still has to dump the ball off in a panic.

Gandalf

I posted the same thing in the match thread. It was an awful first touch from Malacia but Sancho passes back almost every time and the opponents know it. They sit 20 feet off the last man back and sprint at the defender when Sancho looks back. It's a difficult situation for the defender. If Malacia doesn't have a bad first touch there he likely still has to dump the ball off in a panic.
Without wanting to be controversial the point in playing the back pass like that against a team relying on a low block is to pull the opposition out of the defensive third and open space to pass the ball. You can say Sancho set Malacia up to fail but you can equally say Malacia made Sancho look bad by failing to execute the fundamentals of his position. Ample time to control the ball and play it forward for a professional player but he short circuited and got caught in possession.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Seriously, what are his strengths? He is average in everything. Doesn't add something in attack and neither is a monster in defence. He is good in passing though

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
you mean he’s not? He look like a kid out there! It’s an observation of his physical attributes.
I doubt his level is sufficient, but tackling is one of his best attributes. I didnt watch the game today mind, but Ive seen most of his games since he was a kid :wenger:

Idxomer

Meh, after the first few games I hoped my doubts were unfounded. But they're not. He's not ready for this level.

United's level that is, I'm sure he can handle the likes of Omonia something.
Unfortunately, it does seem you were right.

He's also starting to lose his confidence which isn't helping him and leading to all sorts of weird mistakes on the ball.

tomaldinho1

Don't get the criticism to be honest, he's a bit raw but we've seen him have some great games and some poor ones - if nothing else a great upgrade on Telles, if he can be consistent he will challenge Shaw.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Love the Caf, he was the best thing since sliced bread a few weeks ago and now he's being written off, ridiculous.

Could it be that he's not the finished article and he may actually improve over time, with coaching and regular game time? Nah, feck that just write him off as another waste of money after 2 poor games...:rolleyes:

Biggins

Very expected. He is young and will be inconsistent. I still believe that we should stick with him as he has tons of talent.
Shaw had almost 10 years to establish himself as first choice LB.

Bondi77

Hopefully he has a good world cup as I cannot see him getting back into the first team any time soon.

Doracle

At the moment, he’s an excellent back up/replacement if Shaw’s form dips again but Shaw should be first choice. That’s fine though - he’s an upgrade on Telles and with potential to develop.

Stadjer

Love the Caf, he was the best thing since sliced bread a few weeks ago and now he's being written off, ridiculous.

Could it be that he's not the finished article and he may actually improve over time, with coaching and regular game time? Nah, feck that just write him off as another waste of money after 2 poor games...:rolleyes:
I read a comment that said that Manchester United shouldnt buy players for 12m because this is what you get (if buy someone that cheap). Certainly love the Caf and some of the ideas people have :lol:

RedOrange

Without wanting to be controversial the point in playing the back pass like that against a team relying on a low block is to pull the opposition out of the defensive third and open space to pass the ball. You can say Sancho set Malacia up to fail but you can equally say Malacia made Sancho look bad by failing to execute the fundamentals of his position. Ample time to control the ball and play it forward for a professional player but he short circuited and got caught in possession.
Nah, he's passing it back after a free kick knowing Malacia's the only player back. It was right after he was about to shoot but found himself closed down. It's a pointless pass to put Malacia under pressure from a player who should be able to do something more with that situation than dump it backwards.

united for life

good to see some sense in this thread. Thank you

Gandalf

Nah, he's passing it back after a free kick knowing Malacia's the only player back. It was right after he was about to shoot but found himself closed down. It's a pointless pass to put Malacia under pressure from a player who should be able to do something more with that situation than dump it backwards.
So Malacia did everything right?

The point stands that there seems to be a mentality that a back pass is an unforgivable sin when in fact it is very difficult to break down a low block when they are sitting in and so pulling them out of that defensive shape becomes part of the game plan including the backward pass. You can split hairs over whether there was a better option open in this instant, if there was I did not see it, but the contention that a PL left back should not be expected to receive a back pass because he will inevitably be exposed by some Cypriot pub player does not stand up to much scrutiny.

RedOrange

So Malacia did everything right?

The point stands that there seems to be a mentality that a back pass is an unforgivable sin when in fact it is very difficult to break down a low block when they are sitting in and so pulling them out of that defensive shape becomes part of the game plan including the backward pass. You can split hairs over whether there was a better option open in this instant, if there was I did not see it, but the contention that a PL left back should not be expected to receive a back pass because he will inevitably be exposed by some Cypriot pub player does not stand up to much scrutiny.
Did you miss the part of my post where I said Malacia made a poor touch? I'm not arguing back passes are always bad, I'm saying Sancho does them way too often instead of trying to make a progressive pass or attempt to dribble. The intent was to re-establish solid possession there because it was right after a free kick from the right corner, which is why Malacia was the lone player back anyways. He just attempted a shot and then turned around for the back pass instead of considering anything else and it turned out to be the wrong play.

You're right though. Sancho was perfect there, excellent pass back, definitely wasn't lazy and shit the whole half. That's why ETH only took Malacia off at halftime and not Sancho. I'm sure the goal is to pass back to a half marked lone defender as often as possible.

The White Pele

Made a mistake but it didn’t cost us any points and overall he’s made a really positive start to his United career. Maybe it’s time to rotate him out for a few games to take the pressure off a little bit and let him regroup.

Telsim

Worst game so far. Between this one and the City game he should have done enough to play himself out of the starting XI. Shaw was just better when he came on.

Gandalf

Did you miss the part of my post where I said Malacia made a poor touch? I'm not arguing back passes are always bad, I'm saying Sancho does them way too often instead of trying to make a progressive pass or attempt to dribble. The intent was to re-establish solid possession there because it was right after a free kick from the right corner, which is why Malacia was the lone player back anyways. He just attempted a shot and then turned around for the back pass instead of considering anything else and it turned out to be the wrong play.

You're right though. Sancho was perfect there, excellent pass back, definitely wasn't lazy and shit the whole half. That's why ETH only took Malacia off at halftime and not Sancho. I'm sure the goal is to pass back to a half marked lone defender as often as possible.
Well to respond in kind I at no point said that Sancho was right there but I am sure that little burst of sarcasm made you feel all tingly inside. I was simply pointing out that you are pushing an agenda that Sancho is a weak link in the team because our opponents have figured out that he, whisper it, sometimes passes backwards. This fatal flaw means we will never win again with him in the team and inevitably each backward pass will result in a goal. That last bit might actually be true if all of our back 4 shit their pants like Malacia did today when confronted with a moving ball.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Needs some time out of the side for a bit. Still way better than Telles.

Irwin99

He'll learn. Always impressed by his attitude on the pitch but his performances in the last two games haven't been good.

Think it might be time for Shaw to have a period in the team, although i wouldn't be surprised if in a month or two people are then wanting Malacia back.

RedOrange

Well to respond in kind I at no point said that Sancho was right there but I am sure that little burst of sarcasm made you feel all tingly inside. I was simply pointing out that you are pushing an agenda that Sancho is a weak link in the team because our opponents have figured out that he, whisper it, sometimes passes backwards. This fatal flaw means we will never win again with him in the team and inevitably each backward pass will result in a goal. That last bit might actually be true if all of our back 4 shit their pants like Malacia did today when confronted with a moving ball.
Yeah, the problem is you're reading things that I'm not writing and ignoring things that I am writing.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Probably to be expected this bump in the road. He's a young player with little experience.

Gandalf

Yeah, the problem is you're reading things that I'm not writing and ignoring things that I am writing.
You literally stated teams are sitting there waiting for Sancho to pass back and then rushing the defenders. I am pretty sure if that was the case then ETH would have noticed too. Sancho and Malacia were both crap and rightly hauled off at the break but your deeper analysis quoted below is a figment of your imagination.

They sit 20 feet off the last man back and sprint at the defender when Sancho looks back. It's a difficult situation for the defender. If Malacia doesn't have a bad first touch there he likely still has to dump the ball off in a panic.
If teams were doing that any competent fullback could exploit that by playing into the space they are vacating and any coach with a clue would have his players ready for that scenario.

RedOrange

You literally stated teams are sitting there waiting for Sancho to pass back and then rushing the defenders. I am pretty sure if that was the case then ETH would have noticed too. Sancho and Malacia were both crap and rightly hauled off at the break but your deeper analysis quoted below is a figment of your imagination.

Nah mate, you ignored the part of my post where I said Malacia made a bad touch and coughed up the ball and then interpreted my post as me insisting all back passes are bad and Sancho will lose us every match. Learn to read the real words and not the ones you've made up in your head. I'm done with you now.

Gandalf

Nah mate, you ignored the part of my post where I said Malacia made a bad touch and coughed up the ball and then interpreted my post as me insisting all back passes are bad and Sancho will lose us every match. Learn to read the real words and not the ones you've made up in your head. I'm done with you now.
Of course you are done because you are wrong and are now accusing me of things I didn't say and you cannot back up. You are done with me Like United were done with City on Sunday :lol::lol::lol:

Very bumpy last few games, but he'll be fine. Young player lacking consistency in their first season in the PL isn't in any way surprising.

He's already shown enough to make it clear he's going to be a good player for us. Not sure if he'll turn out to be outstanding, but even if he ends up 'just' becoming a very squad player (which he will as a bare minimum) then bagging him for £15m will be a rare piece of excellent transfer business in the last 10 odd years.

caid

Very poor decision making tonight after a weak performance against City. Hopefully Shaw is training at a level that it'll cost him his place against Everton. I expect he'll be back before too long either way with the number of games coming up and he seems quite good despite the wobble.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Very bumpy last few games, but he'll be fine. Young player lacking consistency in their first season in the PL isn't in any way surprising.

He's already shown enough to make it clear he's going to be a good player for us. Not sure if he'll turn out to be outstanding, but even if he ends up 'just' becoming a very squad player (which he will as a bare minimum) then bagging him for £15m will be a rare piece of excellent transfer business in the last 10 odd years.
Not sure about that.

We’ve basically written off AWB because of what he lacks going forwards and Malacia has shown precisely zero attacking threat in his United career so far.

Now we all hope we’ll see more of that side of his game as he matures and develops but let’s not forget that he’s only a year younger than AWB.

I really like the guy. He’s game as anything. But I just don’t see what he brings to the table in attack. And that’s a huge worry when fullbacks are such an important part of the attacking side of things these days.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Miles better than telles so count ourselves lucky
Needs some time out of the side for a bit. Still way better than Telles.
In what way?

Maybe a little bit better at defending? But Telles at least had a sweet left foot. Scored one cracking goal and was capable of some very good crosses.

To be honest, I don’t see much between them overall.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
He has the right attitude to be a good squad option. Clearly lacking the talent to hold down a starting job.

wangyu

Time for a rest not that he is tired but you cannot play 19 year olds when they have a bad form patch. We have to make sure it doesn’t get into his head. It is time for Shaw now

Abraxas

He started really well but I think it's just a case of a bit of an adrenaline dump in those games where he ran like a mad man and now he's taken a dip. It has to be remembered that he's not a seasoned player from a top league, he's coming from the Dutch league and the mental and physical energy that's being used in the early part of your United career is a different thing. He'll be alright. We have two decent left backs so he can come in and out.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Tough few games for him. Might be best to reintroduce Shaw, give Malacia a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.