Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
The click bait team at Football365 reckon he can't attack.

" Malacia has created next to nothing for Manchester United since his arrival at the club. Only David de Gea and Victor Lindelof (who’s barely played) have fewer shot-creating actions per 90 – Shaw has 2.34 to Malacia’s 0.20. The Dutchman has had one shot, he’s made no key passes and he’s not completed a pass or a cross into the box. Wan-Bissaka is a defensive full-back but this guy is a whole new level."

https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-tyrell-malacia-have-man-united-bought-another-wan-bissaka

Devil81

Funnily enough I was going posy on this, he's not a very creative full back. I like him but he doesn't offer much in an attacking sense.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
He's not being told to run to the byline and whip crosses in, so he doesn't. He tucks into a defensive midfield position to provide a simple 'out pass' for other players to recycle the ball and to cover counter attacks.

He's a Kyle Walker, not a Cancelo.

RedOrange

He's not being told to run to the byline and whip crosses in, so he doesn't. He tucks into a defensive midfield position to provide a simple 'out pass' for other players to recycle the ball and to cover counter attacks.

Yeah, it's this, although he does overlap from time to time. He's going to be a polarizing player, because he's very good at building from the back, progressing up the pitch with the ball but it pretty much stops when he gets to the final third.

criticalanalysis

I've said before, his position doesn't really enable him to be in constant attacking positions and whilst I thought he was quite good tonight, there was a few times he made a couple of poor crosses.

One-twos, tight link up and close interplay is what he's very comfortable and good at. Crossing from wide and far positions seems to be a weakness, which is fine as long as he recognises this and doesn't spam it (like we had with Valencia).

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

Yep, that much is obvious. Couple of times Fred went wide where I expected Malacia to be and he tucked in the midfield. It's obviously down to the instructions from a manager.

SambaBoy

Good technically - but not quite Shaw level. Shaw for all his flaws is excellent on the ball and playing progressive players. Malacia played a few neat balls but as has been mentioned, his role was not typical of a full-back. He was tucked inside quite a lot and kept things simple.

He's a good player and an upgrade on Telles for me, but not an improvement on Shaw so far. Still early days so the potential is definitely there to get better.

poleglass red

I think he's a very credible back-up to Shaw.
yeah I think so. If anything he's lit a fire under Shaw, who needs that competition to keep him on his toes. Certainly have no issues with him filling in for Shaw either through injury or loss of form on Shaw's part.

AR87

The price we paid for him is that of a squad player who can deputize for Shaw, give him some credible competition, and has scope for improvement at his age. He's doing that and was fine yesterday with things he must continue to work on.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Something that confuses me is how far he comes inside compared to Shaw. Does ETH change tactics/formation depending on which of them starts? Or is Malacia (or Shaw) just drifting miles out of the position they’re supposed to be playing?!
Agreed. If anything it should be the opposite, with Shaw coming more inside as he should be very comfortable there with his touch and awareness.

Malacia should watch some Evra videos for inspiration, there is nothing at all happening out there when he's playing.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Something that confuses me is how far he comes inside compared to Shaw. Does ETH change tactics/formation depending on which of them starts? Or is Malacia (or Shaw) just drifting miles out of the position they’re supposed to be playing?!
Pep has used that tactic with Cancelo making him an extra midfielder.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Shaw did both against Everton. In the first half he was definitely coming inside and acting more as a midfielder, but in the second half it changed significantly and he kept the width. It was such a noticeable change that I presume it was a deliberate change of tactic by ETH at halftime.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Shaw did both against Everton. In the first half he was definitely coming inside and acting more as a midfielder, but in the second half it changed significantly and he kept the width. It was such a noticeable change that I presume it was a deliberate change of tactic by ETH at halftime.
Ah. Ok. Interesting. I didn’t notice that.

ZupZup

I think it’s the instruction for all full backs. I think they are meant to tuck in a little more when the wide players are staying wide. Then when the wide players comes inside a bit more it opens space for the full backs to make overlaps and even under lapping runs at times. Dalot does the same.

I think Shaw just makes those forward runs a bit more as he’s more comfortable with it than Malacia. Shaw definitely tucks in the same way Malacia does, he just also goes wide and attacks more. Probably just something Ten Hag wants Malacia to get better at.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Absolutely. But whenever Pep played Zinchenko instead of him, he’d play the same role. What’s weird to me is how our two LBs occupy such different areas of the pitch.
Malacia has so far not shown much in overlapping our winger or much in the way of crossing ability as he's more of a ball-winner. When at his best Shaw is fantastic with his powerful bursts, overlapping and crossing. He definitely has a connection with Rashford.

Bwuk

I’d be tempted to try him at RB against Sheriff to see how he gets on.

We desperately need someone who can cover for Dalot.

Man Utd 3:0 Sheriff Tiraspol

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Was decent I thought. Could’ve shot more from the spaces he ended up in but understand why he didn’t.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I love how two footed he is. It's so useful to be able to slot him on the right.

Honestly my only critique of him is that he's not quite brave enough in the final third. Clearly talented but prefers to play it uber safe even when he has more than enough space to pick out a cross/pass/shot

The United

He needed to be a bit more decisive in the final third. Young and learning, I hope.

Real Name

Had a nice shot in the 1st half. His deciveness will come in time, there's a nice player in him.

KranjskaKlobasa

He got bullied again around 90min and gifted an easy ball to Sheriff, other than that he was miles better as opposed to Omonia match.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's a really good back up with potential to get even better.

Sylar

Good competition for Shaw. We need something similar on the right. Being able to use both feet is good especially when he comes into the middle.

jem

Got destroyed for saying this at start of September.
Always amusing when people quote themselves, particularly when the original quote is hardly some self-evident truth. Malacia is far from the finished article, but he clearly has potential, which makes the ideal understudy to Shaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.