Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Jefe

I'm not really sure what he does well. He's quite tenacious and good in the tackle, but his positioning is all over the place and he's not much of a threat going forward either.
I don't even think he's good in the tackle, he probably commits the most fouls per 90 in our team. He's just aggressive and tenacious and that's it.

It'll endear you to the fans initially but there's only so long that will last. He's Mctominay as a left back really.

Sylar

Should he have been ahead of Kane, when the ball wasn't 100% in our favour? Then again we failed to pick up Kane all night long. Casemiro has a lot to answer for.
Just saw it again, I think i was too light on malacia. He pushed forward and gambled leaving space for kane behind him. if Malacia had held his position he can defend it, he ran into no man's land.

Dalot was unlucky though as he went wide to become an option for ddg, and once ddg kicked it forward, one header basically put kane in and son was free

justboy68

Not been a good second half of the season for him at all. A shame because his attitude and energy were rea;ly infectious in those early appearances.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Malacia being made the scapegoat again for the goal.

What was Shaw doing marking an offside player?

He should have pushed forward quickly into his man (Kane) instead of staying at his usual non alert bad positioning.

Malacia was pushing forward to get close to his man.

Last edited:

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Just saw it again, I think i was too light on malacia. He pushed forward and gambled leaving space for kane behind him. if Malacia had held his position he can defend it, he ran into no man's land.

Dalot was unlucky though as he went wide to become an option for ddg, and once ddg kicked it forward, one header basically put kane in and son was free
Yeah he did, didn't he? Completely misread the situation.

We've got a couple of promising fullbacks out on loan and I'd be interested to see what they can do if given the Malacia role in the squad.

Ceteris

I know he was cheap but he's a nothing player. Not great at the back and offers nothing going forward

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Did say in other thread. The question of who to keep is not just between AWB and Dalot. Malacia should also come into the equation, as Dalot can play as LB also.

So AWB, Dalot, and Malacia for possibly 2 squad spots.

Bwuk

If we could get our money back on him I'd consider it.

Not sure he's got it.

Abraxas

He's had a really bad second half of this season, sadly. The start was quite promising. But it was a start based on adrenaline, running around, crashing into people. It's as if he had that adrenaline dump, and now we're left with the raw materials of what he is, which doesn't look too promising. We were probably looking for the final third to improve, and it hasn't. But he's also throwing in these awful decisions and positioning on top, which he wasn't doing early on. We've gone from a relatively steady 6/10 most of the time to less than that.

AJ VII

Would say a new lb is more important than a new rb at this point. Doesn't do anything useful in attack, and his defending hve been really bad for a while now.

Malacia was a decent punt when we were low on cash and needed some fighting spirit in the team, but he doesn't really have any skills other than that.

Dalot doesnt have a big enough impact on the left compared to what Shaw brings, and I'm not sure if Fernandez will make it as a lb at the top level, seems more like a player that needs to play cb/cm due to his lacking pace.

So after a new gk, striker and cm i would think lb is a position we needs to invest in.

Should get our money back on Malacia as he will be a decent lb in a lover level team in europe.

Zoo

Having a bad end to the season but don’t think he should written off at all.

ti vu

He should have pushed forward quickly into his man (Kane) instead of staying at his usual non alert bad positioning.

Agree. The defensive line should have stay leveled, and push up together. Shaw enabled Tottenham with all kind of options once the ball get to Kane.

Shaw is known to be prone to messing up offside trap . Just as AWB.

Last edited:

GeniusIdiot

Having a bad end to the season but don’t think he should written off at all.
Completely agree. He's been crap recently but we got to give young players just coming into the league more than their first season.

Its overstated and I'm not saying he will be as good but Evra and Vidic weren't great in their first season as January signings.

I think its alright to criticise but premature to suggest he should be sold

Oscar Bonavena

If this lad gets more significant game time between now and the rest of the season, it's going to cost us top 4. It's that simple.

He's so clearly out of his depth at this level that I'm absolutely astonished if ETH, McClaren etc. can't see it.

Am I wrong? Is there some (well) hidden potential there that I'm not seeing?

flappyjay

If this lad gets more significant game time between now and the rest of the season, it's going to cost us top 4. It's that simple.

He's so clearly out of his depth at this level that I'm absolutely astonished if ETH, McClaren etc. can't see it.

Am I wrong? Is there some (well) hidden potential there that I'm not seeing?
Dalot a RB starts in his place. I think it's safe to say they see it.

Pscholes18

Look at Dalot out there on his own wondering what he's going to eat when he gets home.

ti vu

Look at Dalot out there on his own wondering what he's going to eat when he gets home.
Dalot did not really get himself out of position.What happened in the sequence leading to this was: Bruno tackled. Dalot dispossessed Son and passed to Casemiro. Casemiro passed forward but blocked by Son (Casemiro's fault). The ball fell to Shaw who backpasses to DDG. The issue here is Shaw was on our right side, ran backward when DDG kicking it long: making us disorganized at the back. The distance between positions are poor. In that sequence, Dalot was not supposed to run back, as the defensive line should organize and push forward.

Shaw was slow to move up the pitch after DDG's kick, created a one man defense situation. When Romero (?) won the header against Rashford sending the ball into Kane way, Son was left unmarked to continue running forward and still onside. If our defense was organized properly, Kane would be opposed immediately when he received the ball. Son had to slow down his run, which should allow Dalot time to recover.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He’s going through first season in new league syndrome. Had spells where he looked excellent - like vs City at home. But then games where he’s looked lost. Next season will decide whether we keep him or sell him.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

You may be right but sometimes split second decisions are needed, you cannot always just focus on your man, the space behind you is important

Wing Attack Plan R

Like I said, I do not rate Williams particularly but he put in quite a few decent performances for us in Ole's first full season. Malacia showed a bit of energy in his first couple of appearances and fooled a lot of us but he has been criminally poor since before the World Cup and again today he just charges off and leaves Kane in acres of space to set up the equalizer. Fairly sure Williams would at least do the basics right which this clown seems totally incapable of, we were robbed and he should be finished at this club.
Agree with you on all of this. Williams was also called in to play on the opposite flank, so he had a learning curve to climb as well as being new to playing senior football. Malacia made almost 100 appearances for Feyenoord and turns 24 this August, but the jump to the Premier League from Dutch League is less than youth team to Prem. I liked Williams, hoped he kicked on from his loan. Malacia plays like a youth team player just getting his first minutes of senior football.

As a realistic backup option Malacia is nowhere close. Dalot outperformed him on that flank. It’s weird, I’d like to see Malacia play in another team, can’t tell if he’s too raw, too anxious, or just not good enough. I remember Evra having a few stinkers when he came in too though.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Shaw was far away on the other side when DDG kicked the ball. Like @kouroux said, Malacia needs to also aware of where others are. There were too many Spurs there, and Shaw was out there. WHy would he push forward there? Sure Shaw could sprint to get to his position quickly. But everyone needs to cover each other positionally.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Did say in other thread. The question of who to keep is not just between AWB and Dalot. Malacia should also come into the equation, as Dalot can play as LB also.

So AWB, Dalot, and Malacia for possibly 2 squad spots.
For me there is no contest there. If we are buying new FB, Malacia should be loaned out.
Awb raised his game this year and he is a keeper. Dalot must stay because he is ETH's type of fb. For Shaw no comment needed.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
For me there is no contest there. If we are buying new FB, Malacia should be loaned out.
Awb raised his game this year and he is a keeper. Dalot must stay because he is ETH's type of fb. For Shaw no comment needed.
Agreed with that. It's just if we need to fund this new FB, one or two of those three need to be sold.

ti vu

Shaw was far away on the other side when DDG kicked the ball. Like @kouroux said, Malacia needs to also aware of where others are. There were too many Spurs there, and Shaw was out there. WHy would he push forward there? Sure Shaw could sprint to get to his position quickly. But everyone needs to cover each other positionally.

He pushed forward as a group to anticipate for second ball. Fred, Weghorst, Casemiro to lesser extend all did. Kulusevski, Kane, Skip did similar for Spurs in anticipation of the aerial duel.

The ball bounce out of Malicia's reach, which should be LCB's responsible zone.

The shape/ defensive line is not pretty here.

Last edited:

Galactic

Incorrigible pest

Perhaps he was waiting to receive DDG pass? You can’t be too near any oppo players.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Shit defender. Shit going forward. Seems like a nice lad who tries hard but he’ll cost us if he has to play too many games. Just woeful positioning on that second goal.
He doesn't though. He cost us two times and that's when the entire team was shit and he was surprisingly brought into the team to change something which is ridiculous thing to do anyway.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Perhaps he was waiting to receive DDG pass? You can’t be too near any oppo players.
That's his position when DDG kicked the ball. Then he moved further forward afterward. The latter was my concern.

Bobski

Tyrell Dumbacia.

Been alright for a debut season, but there is a strong element of chaos to him. Covers a lot of ground, aggressive decent technique, worth developing.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He pushed forward as a group to anticipate for second ball. Fred, Weghorst, Casemiro to lesser extend all did. Kulusevski, Kane, Skip did similar for Spurs in anticipation of the aerial duel.

The ball bounce out of Malicia's reach, which should be LCB's responsible zone.

The shape/ defensive line is not pretty here.
That's my point. He supposed to cover as LCB, when he saw Shaw was that far away. Keep it tight, until the defensive shape stabilized.
At least, that's how i was trained as amateur local pub FB.

ti vu

That's my point. He supposed to cover as LCB, when he saw Shaw was that far away.
He could, but not sure he should because his duty is to support the unit of Raahford, Fred, Weghorst when that ball launch to the left side. It's more about Shaw just forgetting his primary duty as LCB, as jogging slowly in vertical line behind Lindelof. That's a weird way at any level to do what Shaw did here.

Edit:

What I meant by "he could, but not sure he should" is the type of football the manager want to achieve. For Mourinho, Ole, Moyes, I believe Malacia would be told to cover the space beside him. Fred, Weghorst should stay close to Casemiro in front of our defense line. Our forwards would be expected to work independently while being outnumbered up front when these long ball sent their ways.

Under someone like ETH, the team is expected to move synchronously. Fred, Weghorst, Malacia moved to anticipate second ball from aerial duel. Shaw would have been expected to do the same.

Last edited:

James35

I’d actually prefer Brandon Williams. Don’t see him ever becoming good enough to honest.

Oscar Bonavena

Dalot a RB starts in his place. I think it's safe to say they see it.
Good point. But even bringing him on as a sub for 20 minutes is a risk. As bad and all as AWB was playing, I'd have still rathered he stayed on the pitch and hope he see out the game without any major f**k ups, rather than bring Malacia on.

I know, I know, Ten Hag is damned if he did make a change and damned if he didn't, but it just shows the paucity of options we have in defence if we have any injuries.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
He looks younger than he is. I thought he was like 19, but he's 23, so he really needs to start making huge strides in his development over the next year if he wants to stay here because in truth I haven't seen anything in him that suggests he's going to be a top or even world class full back.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Agree. The defensive line should have stay leveled, and push up together. Shaw enabled Tottenham with all kind of options once the ball get to Kane.

Shaw is known to be prone to messing up offside trap . Just as AWB.
He’s a LB playing CB, it’s easier as fullback to look along your line. The other CB in these cases needs to take charge and control that line.

Oscar Bonavena

He could, but not sure he should because his duty is to support the unit of Raahford, Fred, Weghorst when that ball launch to the left side. It's more about Shaw just forgetting his primary duty as LCB, as jogging slowly in vertical line behind Lindelof. That's a weird way at any level to do what Shaw did here.

Edit:

What I meant by "he could, but not sure he should" is the type of football the manager want to achieve. For Mourinho, Ole, Moyes, I believe Malacia would be told to cover the space beside him. Fred, Weghorst should stay close to Casemiro in front of our defense line. Our forwards would be expected to work independently while being outnumbered up front when these long ball sent their ways.

Under someone like ETH, the team is expected to move synchronously. Fred, Weghorst, Malacia moved to anticipate second ball from aerial duel. Shaw would have been expected to do the same.
You know what, 2-1 up with 15 minutes or so to go against a top 4 rival away from home, this is one of those times I'd have been perfectly fine following the Mourinho/Ole/Moyes approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.