US Politics

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Hell yah.
Also, feck you to the WI GOP, whose voter suppression shit means these amazing young adults have to stand in line for hours and likely miss class time.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
That shit should trigger an immediate by-election.
That's the law in india, after a lot of switches by obvious bribery in the 80s/90s.

But a lot of elections are decided by the influence of the individual candidate rather than the party, alternatively, since modi became pm, based on modi's popularity rather than any other factor.

So, there were a bunch of defections recently in state houses, which gave modi's party control of 2 states. This meant by-elections, where the defectors stood from their new party, and won...handily. Happened twice:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Madhya_Pradesh_Legislative_Assembly_by-elections
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Karnataka_Legislative_Assembly_by-elections

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Looks like dems won this one, good thing she wasn't black, cause then she would probably have lost.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
If true this is a ray of hope in a really bleak 24 hours (NC and multiple TN things).

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I mean, GOP could probably just impeach her if they want to.
They do not have a supermajority. Close, but not enough. If the SC somehow enforces fair maps in WI the. You will see a seismic shift in state politics.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
They do not have a supermajority. Close, but not enough. If the SC somehow enforces fair maps in WI the. You will see a seismic shift in state politics.
There is a state house election also going on, if republicans wins that i believe they have supermajority.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
There is a state house election also going on, if republicans wins that i believe they have supermajority.
In the Senate yes, but still 2 votes short in the house. Both needed for impeachment.

That Protasiewizc is going to win by 7-10 points, and that all but one (RoJo) statewide official is a Dem, but the GOP almost has a supermajority in both state legislatures is the biggest example of GOP gerrymandering in the country. Insane and corrupt.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The Dem’s need to note everything Ben Wickler and the WisDems have done the last 4 years and replicate it in every state. It’s been a really amazing grassroot rebuild of an entire state party. Can we clone them and bring them to NC? This state party is a joke.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
In the Senate yes, but still 2 votes short in the house. Both needed for impeachment.

That Protasiewizc is going to win by 7-10 points, and that all but one (RoJo) statewide official is a Dem, but the GOP almost has a supermajority in both state legislatures is the biggest example of GOP gerrymandering in the country. Insane and corrupt.
Thats a relief to hear, and hopefully dems move quickly and get a more fair map for 24 election now, here's hoping.

Wisconsin gerrymandering is probably the worst in the country, the fact that a state that is close to 50/50, in statewide elections have their legislatures dominated by republicans is disgusting.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Thats a relief to hear, and hopefully dems move quickly and get a more fair map for 24 election now, here's hoping.

Wisconsin gerrymandering is probably the worst in the country, the fact that a state that is close to 50/50, in statewide elections have their legislatures dominated by republicans is disgusting.
NC is very similar. Biden lost by 1.2%, and Gov is a Dem, and yet after yesterday's debacle the GOP has a supermajority in both chambers.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
NC is very similar. Biden lost by 1.2%, and Gov is a Dem, and yet after yesterday's debacle the GOP has a supermajority in both chambers.
That sucks, as dems were making a bit of progress in that state in recent years, hopefully the supermajority in NC will be gone in about in about a year if turnout is strong.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
That sucks, as dems were making a bit of progress in that state in recent years, hopefully the supermajority in NC will be gone in about in about a year if turnout is strong.
Considering the "Dem" who flipped yesterday won her seat by 20% I think it is safe to say we are going to be fecked for a long while. She will likely vote against everything she campaigned on 5 months ago. The maps here are just as gerrymandered as WI and we lost control of the State SC, so I expect them to get even worse. 100% they are going to redraw the traitors district in the next two years to make sure she is rewarded for her treachery.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Dan Kelly whined and moaned in his "concession" speech, but i shouldn't be surprised i suppose, for some reason this kind of behaviour is actually what MAGA-people views as alpha behaviour.

Nothing more manly and alpha than take the ball and go home.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Dan Kelly whined and moaned in his "concession" speech, but i shouldn't be surprised i suppose, for some reason this kind of behaviour is actually what MAGA-people views as alpha behaviour.

Nothing more manly and alpha than take the ball and go home.
cnut never called her to concede either.