Van Gaal slams United for sacking him, AGAIN!

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
anyone criticising him hasn't read the article. They're all fair comments. His style wasn't what United fans wanted but he was a truly great manager albeit way past his prime by the time he managed you guys.
I did.

He complains about us going behind his back when we signed Mourinho, yet we did the same with him when David Moyes was still here. And he revealed this to the Dutch press who broadcasted it to the world.

It's hypocritical

ottosec

He got more time than he deserved, at any other club he would have been sacked in December.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
anyone criticising him hasn't read the article. They're all fair comments. His style wasn't what United fans wanted but he was a truly great manager albeit way past his prime by the time he managed you guys.
I have read it, and it is complete shite. He moans about Man Utd going behind his back, but was more than happy to do the same with Man Utd when Moyes was the manager. He argues that if United had come to him with the José plan, he would have been fully supportive and given all for the last 6 months for José to take over. I actually laughed out loud at that bit, because there is no way an egotistical man like himself would have reacted to the news that we are replacing him with the manner that he suggested. Pure bollocks, he is just making that crap up to paint United in more of a bad light.

Kapardin

In what way was the sacking handled poorly? Another club would have sacked him in December when we got dicked by Stoke. Or the way we crashed out of the CL. Heck, there were arguments for sacking him for finishing 4th in a season with no European football, which would have been the case had we been as ruthless as other big clubs like Madrid or Chelsea.

Instead, we gave him time, Ed even accepted a 0-0 draw against Chelsea in Jan as a turning point. Then, he ensured that van Gaal was given time to win the FA Cup and allowed him to go out on a high. The club also released a classy statement thanking van Gaal, though to be honest, he deserved little thanks for putting us through that shite.

If talking to Mourinho behind van Gaal's back is a crime, then I dunno what you would call the operations of other clubs who sack managers more ruthlessly than we did.

If we announced Mourinho was taking over in January, the players would down tools. van Gaal's just bullshitting about that, he would never have taken that kindly.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
What he says in the article? Be more transparent about the fact that we wanted Mourinho and he'd have happily worked together with commitment for the next 6 months and gone. He's not fussed about being let go, just the way it was done.
Yea right. What if Woody had gone to him in January and said things were shit and we were bringing Jose in at the end of the summer and it had all gone (even more) to shit?

The club would have been insane to risk what stability we did have on the possibility that LVG would have been ok with knowing in advance he was getting the shaft.

The way it was done with recruiting Jose beforehand was the only way to do it. The sole thing LVG has any right to feel the slightest bit angry over is that we didn't wait a few days after the cup final victory.

K2K

It is business as usual nowadays, van Gaal probably didnt experience it himself. But i do agree with him that we could have told him beforehand and give it a proper go for the rest of the season instead of doing it behind his back. He also needs to be given more respect than someone like Moyes, had more success and is a far bigger ego than him, even if morally both didnt deserve it as human beings, but yeah.
I think we should have fired him early and gotten an interim manager.

Bayern tried your method of telling him that he would be leaving at the end of the season, and results actually got worse thereafter. Then they had to turn on their word and fire him early anyway.

red4ever 79

He is referring to the way his sacking was handled. It was handled poorly no doubt about that, moles inside the club leaking things to the press, and he was entitled to have his contract paid up

That being said there can be no dispute to the decision to actually sack him. The performances were shameful

van Nistelrooy

Clearly this man is still deluded and getting worse by the sound of it! Haha.

“I never wanted more than two years anyway" - Why sign a 3-year contract then? Why are you crying about being relieved of your duties?

Apparently he would have accepted Mourinho replacing him if he was told and would "give everything for the last six months". Seriously? He really thinks he could have improved on that final six months. Absolutely nothing would have changed on or off the field with LvG. It was a scruffy divorce, but our biggest mistake was not sacking him sooner. We should have put his reputation aside and removed the problem which suffocated the club for two seasons a lot sooner.

Manny

Grammar Police
I'll also add that he's right about the stick Scholes and Neville kept piling on to him early in the second season. It's something I felt at the time.

We started the season well but after their criticism about style, everything got much, much worse.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
United never talked to Jose behind his back. He himself said that former players talked up Jose. How is that the club's fault. IMO the club gave him a chance to improve but he didn't take it.

The Hacker

“United did not discuss this with me. If they had come to me with the Mourinho plan then I could have said 'okay, let's give it everything for the last six months"

Shouldn't have needed a discussion, should have always been giving it everything anyway.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Nothing wrong with what Louis has said there.
Yeah there is, it is complete hypocritical of him to suggest we went behind his back when he was more than happy to do that with Moyes.

Classical Mechanic

What he says in the article? Be more transparent about the fact that we wanted Mourinho and he'd have happily worked together with commitment for the next 6 months and gone. He's not fussed about being let go, just the way it was done.
Like he would have been all happy to go along with it if they had told him? Easy for him to say it now.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He should keep his mouth shut, he did more damage to the club than even Moyes did

brian017

It wasn't maybe handled in the best way, but Mr. Van Gaal, this is not Arsenal. A FA Cup and a 5th place finish isn't enough to save your job

SER19

Can the inflammatory thread title be changed?

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Glad he's gone. No doubt it was the right decision but the handling of it could've been better.

Although, I really don't know how he didn't see it coming.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
I think we should have fired him early and gotten an interim manager.

Bayern tried your method of telling him that he would be leaving at the end of the season, and results actually got worse thereafter. Then they had to turn on their word and fire him early anyway.
I like this comment.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Don't see what was wrong with what he said. Having said that, I'm glad he was replaced way earlier than his 3 year contract. I lost huge interest in watching United, and with football in general, with his style of football.

acnumber9

We definitely handled the sacking poorly. It was at least 6 months too late being the biggest problem.

buckooo1978

there's no easy way to sack a manager and there's always going to be a victim mentality

Van Gaal should realise that he, like Moyes, took the club backwards, sold good squad players (Chicha, Nani, Evans, Rafael, Kagawa) for a pittance, spent a fortune , bored the United fans to death and the only really positive thing he did was brought some of the Youth players through

Drainy

“United did not discuss this with me. If they had come to me with the Mourinho plan then I could have said 'okay, let's give it everything for the last six months"

Shouldn't have needed a discussion, should have always been giving it everything anyway.
Yeah ideally, but he's saying that the players who had lost confidence in him may have been more motivated if they knew they were going to be shot of him.

Personally I'm not sure that works. City players knew Pep was coming and still half arsed it for Pellegrini

DavelinaJolie

It seems pretty fair to me, what he says, though this bit:

Van Gaal said: “Suddenly former players started to yap in the media that we were playing boring football and Mourinho's sacking made it very attractive for everyone to keep bashing me.
Well yeah, but it was boring...

mariner85

I mean, we had no choice.

Moyes got the boot before the season ended. We would have done it to LVG too.
Absolutely.
If I remember correctly our board did not officially announce his sacking before the final. It was leaked. And we had to act before some else bagged Mourinho. So we did discuss it with him before sacking LVG.
This is what most companies do. They won't discuss the sacking with the person in a general manager like position beforehand. They will always recruit behind your back and announce your sacking just before the other guy comes on board.
My opinion only.

CM

His sacking was definitely mishandled and didn't sit right with me at the time but that was mostly because it was leaked by Mourinho's camp on the day of the cup final. It was very unprofessional and extremely bad timing.

Honestly though, I don't think the club had made the decision to appoint Mourinho 6 months in advance either. I think they gave van Gaal the chance to turn things around after results nosedived around December time and it didn't work out. I don't really blame the club for keeping their cards close to their chest on that.

K2K

Louis Van Gaal
“United did not discuss this with me. If they had come to me with the Mourinho plan then I could have said 'okay, let's give it everything for the last six months, complete commitment to each other and the team and then Jose Mourinho can take over.'
A certain Bavarian club did just that

On March 7, 2011:

Bayern Munich coach Louis van Gaal will leave the club at the end of the season, Bayern said on Monday after a string of bad results forced the German champions to act.

Dutchman Van Gaal’s contract was due to expire in 2012 but the team have slipped to fifth in the Bundesliga and the two parties agreed in a meeting on Monday that he would depart at the end of the current campaign.

He had extended his contract to 2012 in September.
April 10, 2011

The club's board of directors took the decision in a bid to help prevent Bayern missing out on a place in European football's top domestic competition, having lost last season's Champions League final to Inter Milan in Madrid.

The 59-year-old Van Gaal was informed of the decision after his side returned to Munich following Saturday's 1-1 draw at Nuremberg which saw Bayern drop to fourth in the Bundesliga.

They must finish at least second in the table to be sure of a Champions League place next season with five games remaining.

Bayern are 14 points behind Bundesliga leaders Borussia Dortmund.

Van Gaal's assistant Andries Jonker will take over as caretaker head coach with Hermann Gerland as his assistant.
Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. Woodward was smart enough not to.

acnumber9

I'll also add that he's right about the stick Scholes and Neville kept piling on to him early in the second season. It's something I felt at the time.

We started the season well but after their criticism about style, everything got much, much worse.
Their criticism isn't the reason our results were shit. If that kind of thing affected Van Gaal so much he'd no right being the manager. I think the 70000 fans snoring in the crowd would have a bigger impact.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
His complaints seem entirely justified to me. The board clearly treated him like shit because they believed it was their only option.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I liked LvG and I supported him for the majority of his time here but what did he expect? It was clear to everybody that he had to go. He failed at United and was replaced by a much better manager. Quite delusional from him if you ask me.

Moonred

Everything can be handled better in hindsight. There was no way of knowing then. Last six months were a mess from everybody involved. Manager, players, ex players, fans etc. It was never going to end in a pretty manner regardless of what you chose to do. He has a point but then even Moyes might have a point. (Scratch that actually) You can't please folks while taking decisions like those.

Djemba-Djemba

He's talking bollocks about ex players criticising him because they wanted Jose.

They were criticising him because we were shit and the football was the fecking dirt worst.

His sacking could have been handled better but really he should have sacked before Xmas anyway so he was lucky to survive as long as he did.

Kag

Some of you feckwits haven't even read the article.

He's spot on. His sacking was handled poorly. Similarly, so was Moyes'. Both managers had to go, something the latter still can't seem to comprehend, but the manner in which they exited the club left a lot to be desired.

Heardy

Getting rid was the right thing to do but the way it was leaked an hour after the FA cup win was a bit sad really. Not handled all that well and felt like it took away from that achievement. He got us a trophy and could have at least been given that day to enjoy it.

Still we have the right man in now and we are better for it.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Some of you feckwits haven't even read the article.

He's spot on. His sacking was handled poorly. Similarly, so was Moyes'. Both managers had to go, something the latter still can't seem to comprehend, but the manner in which they exited the club left a lot to be desired.
I read the article and he's talking complete shit.

ZAGREB RED

It was a bit harsh to sack him in the wake of the Cup Final win, but another season going nowhere under him was unthinkable, change was needed to get United back on track for EPL/CL challenges. United under him would have meant a team constantly scrambling around to get top 4/Cup wins like Arsenal just now under Wenger. Mourinho's first season was a 6th place finish but he sorted a lot of the mess out and got things going the right way and I don't think for a minute United would have won the EL under LvG last season, and he wouldn't have signed Ibrahimovic either. Or rather Ibrahimovic wouldn't have signed for him ,whichever way you want to look at it.