g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Van Gaal slams United for sacking him, AGAIN!

SirMattBugsby

Seeing how undiplomatic and frank LvG is, is it possible that not telling him was a deliberate move by Woodward? Journalists were asking him about his future all the time, he could easily have let it out in the heat of the moment.

Perhaps keeping him in the dark was the best way to ensure maximum commitment from everyone and not to spill the beans..

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
It was a bit of a shame that he couldn't enjoy the party after the Cup win, but that's all it was.

As for the bit about they could have told him earlier. Well, yeah, sure they could. Then he could have talked about being sacked, irrespective of results, at every press conference including the Cup Final one. Would he have been a better manager if he'd known he was sacked? I doubt it. Why would he save his best until after he got sacked?

Kag

I read the article and he's talking complete shit.
Regarding what?

The 'only wanting two year remark' seems like a stretch but he's right regarding the pressure during his last six months. His sacking was also handled atrociously, which is undeniable. He was sat in post match presser with the FA Cup only to be told he was getting sacked the next day. That's not good enough.

Kostur

海尔的老板
So he's basically angry that we've done the same thing to him what we've done to Moyes. As in, practice of actually talking to the new manager behind the then-current manager's back. It's pretty funny.

As is this part:
My wife, Truus, told me that the attitude of the board had changed. Women have this intuition. They smell it.

ZupZup

My main gripe with his comments is the idea that if he had known Mourinho was incoming, we could have "given it all the last 6 months".

You're the manager of Manchester United for feck's sake. If that's the motivation you need to give everything... there's something seriously wrong.

Also, really doubt he'd have taken the decision that well. Rose tinted specs in hindsight I'd say.

Kapardin

Regarding what?

The 'only wanting two year remark' seems like a stretch but he's right regarding the pressure during his last six months. His sacking was also handled atrociously, which is undeniable. He was sat in post match presser with the FA Cup only to be told he was getting sacked the next day. That's not good enough.
Any other club would have sacked him in December and he wouldn't have gotten the chance to go out on a high after winning a trophy.

Telling him the news when he achieved something is a great way to do things. Besides, the leak was by Mourinho's camp and not by the club, there were reports that Ed was pissed off about it as well. Can't blame Mourinho either, he was anxious about getting the job and was fed up of waiting for 6 months while van Gaal fed absolute tosh to the media through his pals about him staying on for a third season.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
As is this part:
It's hilarious. Was his wife on the board or something? How the feck would she have the foggiest. LvG talking complete bollocks to paint United in as much of a bad light as possible.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He's largely right. The way he was sacked was pretty shit, especially immediately on the back of us winning the FA Cup. Not classy. It was quite embarrassing for him and probably for the club too.

At the same time, football is a harsh game. LVG should know that by now, not least given the likelihood that he was first contacted for the United job before Moyes was sacked too.

prtk0811

I am with LVG here. We deserved it.

The way we handled LVG and Moyes sacking was disgraceful by woodward. Everything Van gaal said is true. Woodward had to act with class which he dint.

He did understand the reason we hired mourinho. And a top exp manager like lvg would have known it. It should have done the way LVG described it. And we should have also listened to his input and bought sadio mane here.

MooseTheMooche

I have read it, and it is complete shite. He moans about Man Utd going behind his back, but was more than happy to do the same with Man Utd when Moyes was the manager. He argues that if United had come to him with the José plan, he would have been fully supportive and given all for the last 6 months for José to take over. I actually laughed out loud at that bit, because there is no way an egotistical man like himself would have reacted to the news that we are replacing him with the manner that he suggested. Pure bollocks, he is just making that crap up to paint United in more of a bad light.
I laughed at this bit as well. I kind of got the impression that not having this external “pressure” of Mourinho coming meant that our team could play the same boring shite that was served during his tenure, and everyone would be okay with it.

Having read the article I must say that football is an incredibly mindboggling industry. The man served an incredible shite for two years, and got no results (or the results got worse in his second season, to be precise) and expected everything to be all good, with no consequences.

Kostur

海尔的老板
It's hilarious. Was his wife on the board or something? How the feck would she have the foggiest. LvG talking complete bollocks to paint United in as much of a bad light as possible.
Yeah well she's got some innate superpowers it seems.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Regarding what?

Read the thread:

I have read it, and it is complete shite. He moans about Man Utd going behind his back, but was more than happy to do the same with Man Utd when Moyes was the manager. He argues that if United had come to him with the José plan, he would have been fully supportive and given all for the last 6 months for José to take over. I actually laughed out loud at that bit, because there is no way an egotistical man like himself would have reacted to the news that we are replacing him with the manner that he suggested. Pure bollocks, he is just making that crap up to paint United in more of a bad light.
Yea right. What if Woody had gone to him in January and said things were shit and we were bringing Jose in at the end of the summer and it had all gone (even more) to shit?

The club would have been insane to risk what stability we did have on the possibility that LVG would have been ok with knowing in advance he was getting the shaft.

The way it was done with recruiting Jose beforehand was the only way to do it. The sole thing LVG has any right to feel the slightest bit angry over is that we didn't wait a few days after the cup final victory.
Louis Van Gaal

A certain Bavarian club did just that

On March 7, 2011:

April 10, 2011

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. Woodward was smart enough not to.

AndyJ1985

He was responsible for setting us up to play some of the worst football I've ever had the misfortune of watching. I became so fed up of watching us that I gave up during the last few weeks, something that has never happened before, even when Moyes was manager. Sacking van Gaal was absolutely 100% the right thing to do. He would have been sacked much sooner at any other big club so he can count himself lucky he was given the opportunity to finish the season.

Manny

Grammar Police
Their criticism isn't the reason our results were shit. If that kind of thing affected Van Gaal so much he'd no right being the manager. I think the 70000 fans snoring in the crowd would have a bigger impact.
I'm not defending his response to the criticism, we all knew he was limited in that regard.

I'm pointing out that the Scholes and Nevilles criticism so early in the season made things much more difficult for him what with print press and other pundits piling on and players questioning everything they were doing.

The criticism came far too early as we started the season well, scoring goals and we were sitting at the top of the table.

King.of.Red

with how shit and boring our football under him, I dont care how poor we handle his sacking. I'm very happy with his sacking.

DavelinaJolie

Louis Van Gaal

A certain Bavarian club did just that

On March 7, 2011:

April 10, 2011

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. Woodward was smart enough not to.
Understandable, but in those situations it seems like the press was informed he was out by the club too, maybe what he was asking for was prior notice without media comment? I don't know.

Kostur

海尔的老板
And to be absolutely honest, we've been fair in that regard that we could've sacked him couple of games before the season's end, just like we did with the Scottish ghoul, and let Giggsy 'ave it for a couple of last games, including the FA cup final.

Needham

Anyway thanks for the fa cup, Louis. Hard to fathom but we are still nearly averaging a trophy a season since SAF. Meanwhile in that time, Klopp's exciting Liverpool etc

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He was responsible for setting us up to play some of the worst football I've ever had the misfortune of watching. I became so fed up of watching us that I gave up during the last few weeks, something that has never happened before, even when Moyes was manager. Sacking van Gaal was absolutely 100% the right thing to do. He would have been sacked much sooner at any other big club so he can count himself lucky he was given the opportunity to finish the season.
That isn't really the issue though, is it? As the thread title suggests, it's the way he was sacked that some of us objected too. I doubt there's many arguing we should have kept him on.

Kag

Any other club would have sacked him in December and he wouldn't have gotten the chance to go out on a high after winning a trophy.

Telling him the news when he achieved something is a great way to do things. Besides, the leak was by Mourinho's camp and not by the club, there were reports that Ed was pissed off about it as well. Can't blame Mourinho either, he was anxious about getting the job and was fed up of waiting for 6 months while van Gaal fed absolute tosh to the media through his pals about him staying on for a third season.
We should have appointed Mourinho the day after he was initially sacked. I argued that then. However, the final six months was handled poorly and that's irrefutable.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout

The way we handled LVG and Moyes sacking was disgraceful by woodward. Everything Van gaal said is true. Woodward had to act with class which he dint.

He did understand the reason we hired mourinho. And a top exp manager like lvg would have known it. It should have done the way LVG described it. And we should have also listened to his input and bought sadio mane here.
Dear god, what's Mane ever done to deserve LvG stifling the life out of him?
Would be a great signing now mind.

prtk0811

And he is not talking about that. He is talking about the way it was handled and the press told before him.

I Believe

everything Nigel Farage told me
Is there ever a good way to sack someone, when they haven't lived up to expectations?

LvG didn't criticise the fact he was sacked, he's complaining about the way it was handled, but given the situation when apparently he had offered to resign in November and Ed Woodward had said No, what was Louis expecting?
Had Woodward agreed, LvG would not now be able to boast he has won silverware all over Europe, I'm sure the photo of him receiving the FA Cup from David De Gea has pride of place on his sideboard!
Come off it Louis, this is a prelude to the memoirs soon to be rolled out no doubt, in time for the WC finals next year?

Can7onA

You fecked up Louis, if I fecked up in my job and delivered dirge I would be sacked too

Suck it up and count your money you fool.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I remember going to watch us play Norwich in December 2015. My first game of that season and the atmosphere at OT was genuinely bad, not just quiet, but negative and miserable. As toxic towards a manager as any crowd I'd been in since O'Farrell. We lost 2-1 and there were people around me (season ticket holders) leaving after an hour. Meanwhile LvG thought the crowd still loved him. Maybe his wife is just better at reading people.

Needham

My main gripe with his comments is the idea that if he had known Mourinho was incoming, we could have "given it all the last 6 months".

You're the manager of Manchester United for feck's sake. If that's the motivation you need to give everything... there's something seriously wrong.

Also, really doubt he'd have taken the decision that well. Rose tinted specs in hindsight I'd say.
Didn't engage his brain before making that remark. Lax and half hearted attitude was reflected in the team's performance.

prtk0811

If mourinho was not available i think we would have let him complete his contract.

acnumber9

I'm not defending his response to the criticism, we all knew he was limited in that regard.

I'm pointing out that the Scholes and Nevilles criticism so early in the season made things much more difficult for him what with print press and other pundits piling on and players questioning everything they were doing.

The criticism came far too early as we started the season well, scoring goals and we were sitting at the top of the table.
And if he was so easily influenced by being told his football was boring then he was in the wrong job. The crowd were continually making it clear they were bored out of their skulls. That's Van Gaal's fault. Not a couple of ex players. We were top for a couple of hours if I remember right after we beat Watford. That was about it. We'd scored 19 goals in the league at that stage and 6 teams had scored more than us. Not exactly swashbuckling stuff.

Morpheus 7

I agree Woodward handled it wrong with Lvg, maybe he thought the motivation would leave in the dressing room, so many leaks back then too(it might have, look at city before Pep came).

Feck Moyes, that clown should have been out by Christmas. Think it's rubbish to talk about his recruitment too. Mane is playing amazing now but look as some of the people lvg brought in. Jose still cleaning up the mess today. Bastian, Morgan, Di Maria, Valdes ect. I wouldn't call his recruitment good by pointing to one player. Herrera and Shaw deals were already done. Lvg needed to go, as likable as he was the football was awful.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
The sacking was indeed handled very poorly. I like LVG for what he did. Yes we played boring football and it was at times embarrassing but he left us with a few things I'll never forget. One of them being Rashford and Martial.

That said I adore Mourinho and I think he will take us back to the top.

Kag

I hope this is the last we hear of any moaning, mind you. Before today it's one thing that Van Gaal can be given credit for since his sacking, especially in comparison with his bellend of a predecessor.

But this interview will, unfortunately, likely be followed by more damning ones. Just let it lie.

Kostov

He should keep his mouth shut, he got more than he deserved. In most other clubs he would have been sacked by December.
There is general lack of criticism for his transfer dealing, it was utterly pathetic. And i'm not thinking of Di Maria or Falcao, he brought Schniederlin and Depay and by the season end they were on the bench, the Bastian fiasco and the double standards he got. Bringing his own players and then not playing them.In the same time he sold good players and replaced them with worse, Rafael, Evans and Nani in particular.
I think he made more damage than Moyes.
Enjoy the wine and the mince pie Lui, and keep quiet.

Tiber

If mourinho was not available i think we would have let him complete his contract.
What an awful decision that would have been. What player would have signed to play for a lame duck (and highly ineffective) manager

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
In a perfect world he would have been sacked a week or so after the FA Cup final, but whoever leaked it during the match put paid to that.

The club was 100% right to sack him.

The only positive thing he did was promote Rashford, and it's unlikely that would even have happened had Will Keane not got injured.