Van Gaal slams United for sacking him, AGAIN!

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
He should keep his mouth shut, he got more than he deserved. In most other clubs he would have been sacked by December.
There is general lack of criticism for his transfer dealing, it was utterly pathetic. And i'm not thinking of Di Maria or Falcao, he brought Schniederlin and Depay and by the season end they were on the bench, the Bastian fiasco and the double standards he got. Bringing his own players and then not playing them.In the same time he sold good players and replaced them with worse, Rafael, Evans and Nani in particular.
I think he made more damage than Moyes.
Enjoy the wine and the mince pie Lui, and keep quiet.
Did you read the article? He even said he'd have agreed to leave at the end of the season, back in January. It seems like he was more than willing to cooperate. And your other points about signings etc. are pointless. Bad signings doesn't mean a manager deserves to be sacked in an inappropriate way.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
In a perfect world he would have been sacked a week or so after the FA Cup final, but whoever leaked it during the match put paid to that.

The club was 100% right to sack him.

The only positive thing he did was promote Rashford, and it's unlikely that would even have happened had Will Keane not got injured.
That's the nature of football. It's unfair to use that to deny him props.
The leaking during the final is what doesn't sit well with me.
Who in their right mind thought that was the right thing to do?

acnumber9

I remember going to watch us play Norwich in December 2015. My first game of that season and the atmosphere at OT was genuinely bad, not just quiet, but negative and miserable. As toxic towards a manager as any crowd I'd been in since O'Farrell. We lost 2-1 and there were people around me (season ticket holders) leaving after an hour. Meanwhile LvG thought the crowd still loved him. Maybe his wife is just better at reading people.
Gary Neville and Paul Scholes must have been there brain washing the fans in the ground and acting as ring leaders.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Did you read the article? He even said he'd have agreed to leave at the end of the season, back in January. It seems like he was more than willing to cooperate. And your other points about signings etc. are pointless. Bad signings doesn't mean a manager deserves to be sacked in an inappropriate way.
No, we were absolutely right not to tell him. The performances might actually get worse, there is every reason to believe so and we actually got that FA cup in the end. You don't go and tell the manager in the middle of the season that he will get fired.

The only thing wrong about it was the timing or the leaking to the press on the day we won the FA cup. And that is also doubtful how much was on us. I assume we could have done it in a more discrete way but that's about it.

Manny

Grammar Police
Regarding what?

The 'only wanting two year remark' seems like a stretch but he's right regarding the pressure during his last six months. His sacking was also handled atrociously, which is undeniable. He was sat in post match presser with the FA Cup only to be told he was getting sacked the next day. That's not good enough.
I think he's right. I think I remember him boasting in one of his first press conferences that he wanted/asked for a two year, but United insisted on three.

prtk0811

What an awful decision that would have been. What player would have signed to play for a lame duck (and highly ineffective) manager
Pep gone , klopp gone, Anchelotti gone, Pocehtino with tott, We could only hire conte if Mourinho had not been sacked. But I think we would have completed his tenure, then we would hire new manager.

We could have hired mourinho in january itself and secured top 4 but we continued with lvg until the end of the season is an indication for me to think that way.

It would not have been awful decision though, We would have bought the right players. Specially mane. People forget that at the time LVG got his players Not manay players were available in the market which would come to united, not pogba not mkh or matic. Darmian is a gabriel heienze case who is struggling to adapt in this league but in other league he would be a good player.

Skills

Snitch
I've mellowed to him after watching us serve the same (and at times worse) shit last season.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
That's the nature of football. It's unfair to use that to deny him props.
The leaking during the final is what doesn't sit well with me.
Who in their right mind thought that was the right thing to do?
It was an absolutely disgraceful thing to do that. No doubt about it.

Whoever leaked that to the press on cup final day is an arsehole.

I didn't have much time for LVG at all. His tenure was a disaster. But the old boy should have been allowed to bask in the glory of the cup final win without that news hanging over his head.

I Believe

everything Nigel Farage told me
My main gripe with his comments is the idea that if he had known Mourinho was incoming, we could have "given it all the last 6 months".
Of course he knew Mourhino was coming, they are best mates!

It would not surprise me if in years to come we find out that about mid November/December Louis texted Jose and said "Today offered to resign at OT, but told by Ed to hang on until end of season, so my advice ditch Chelsea and be ready to join United for new season. Best wishes LvG"

Skills

Snitch
My main gripe with his comments is the idea that if he had known Mourinho was incoming, we could have "given it all the last 6 months".

You're the manager of Manchester United for feck's sake. If that's the motivation you need to give everything... there's something seriously wrong.

Also, really doubt he'd have taken the decision that well. Rose tinted specs in hindsight I'd say.
Well he's probably pissed about being played along about preparing for next season. Useless scouting, preseason preparation which wouldn't be used as he's not going to be there anyway. So he could have just fully focused on the on-field crap.

The Bloody-Nine

I've mellowed to him after watching us serve the same (and at times worse) shit last season.
There is no way we were as bad to watch last season, never mind worse.

Still, given what he drummed into the players it's hardly surprising it's taken Jose a while to change things up.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Would have preferred if he kept a 'Greta Garbo' silence, however he didn't say anything bad in his comments. It was all fair comments, and he didn't make any excuses for his below the par performance, so need for anyone to get upset.

It was horrible the way they did the sacking and I do agree they should have told him before. I don't think it needed to have been made public ala Pep and City, and I do believe he would still have carried on much the same way and tried to do his best (which ultimately wasn't good enough).

What was interesting for me was that he didn't blame Mourinho (at least I'm assuming there is no more to come from this interview). I know it seems that the leak came from Mourinho's people, but I'm inclined to believe it's 50/50 and wouldn't be surprised if it didn't actually come from Woodward himself.

In any case it's done, and I wish him the best. Hopefully, no more interviews on United...:)

prtk0811

I agree Woodward handled it wrong with Lvg, maybe he thought the motivation would leave in the dressing room, so many leaks back then too(it might have, look at city before Pep came).

Feck Moyes, that clown should have been out by Christmas. Think it's rubbish to talk about his recruitment too. Mane is playing amazing now but look as some of the people lvg brought in. Jose still cleaning up the mess today. Bastian, Morgan, Di Maria, Valdes ect. I wouldn't call his recruitment good by pointing to one player. Herrera and Shaw deals were already done. Lvg needed to go, as likable as he was the football was awful.
We are not city right? United is reguarded in high esteem amongst top managers and woodward did not handle it in classy way. I was similar with moyes, it was leaked out before the manager knew.

Lvg sis make some mistakes in recruitment but bought and targeted some very good players too which mourinho might not have bought and i am sure of it , specially Martial. And got mane. Weather he would have promoted Rashford too is a question. Di maria was used wrong and he never wanted to come here , he has typical south american mentality which every one of those players had. Lvg Got romero for free too. Bailly was a united signing or a mourinho signing is not known. Valdes was typical thing which mourinho also is doing with ibra although his injury happened after he played for us.

Jazz

Well he's probably pissed about being played along about preparing for next season. Useless scouting, preseason preparation which wouldn't be used as he's not going to be there anyway. So he could have just fully focused on the on-field crap.
Exactly, it's the hypocrisy of the board that he's pissed with. Saying one thing to his face and then doing another. In any case it's football, so he shouldn't have expected anything else.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Woodward should have sacked him about 6 months earlier. Fraud of a a manager.

FujiVice

knowing the nature of the managerial merry-go-round, had Mourinho not been sacked at Chelsea, we'd probably have Conte as our manager now.

Garethw

I'll also add that he's right about the stick Scholes and Neville kept piling on to him early in the second season. It's something I felt at the time.

We started the season well but after their criticism about style, everything got much, much worse.
I could understand it if the criticism was unjustified, but it wasn't. We were a fecking shambles, playing the most mind numbingly Boring football I've seen from United.

Most fans/pundits would have put up with it if the boring style of football had resulted in us winning most games, but as we all know, that wasn't the case.

My only criticism of Woodward and the board is not sacking him sooner. Virtually every top club in Europe would have sacked him in the December of that season.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
What a great man. He got sacked twice at bayern, twice at Barcelona, once with us and he won just 1 cl. Thats nearly making the 8

Kostov

Yes i read the article. Did you read the post in this thread with evidence of his history at Bayern and how he fared after they told him he would leave? Or the posts that mentions the reports back in 2014 when we had meetings with him while Moyes was still in charge? He didn't mind it then, did he? So lets not be hypocrites, will you? What he says now, i wouldn't give it much attention.
My points about his signings are pointless? I just pointed out one bad aspect of his spell here that led directly to the sacking, if you deem it pointless so be it.

Reactions: jojojo

prtk0811

In any case it's football, so he shouldn't have expected anything else.
Its football, But its not United values. We were unique in that sense and we are that unique club in world football. The way he's talking reflects he held the club in high esteem and was proud to be the united manager but he was disappointed by the way woodward kept him in the dark. A Football's iconic manager was strong enough to handle the truth for 6 months and give it all. He largely understood the decision to hire mourinho.

Last edited:

Manny

Grammar Police
And if he was so easily influenced by being told his football was boring then he was in the wrong job. The crowd were continually making it clear they were bored out of their skulls. That's Van Gaal's fault. Not a couple of ex players. We were top for a couple of hours if I remember right after we beat Watford. That was about it. We'd scored 19 goals in the league at that stage and 6 teams had scored more than us. Not exactly swashbuckling stuff.
Gary Neville and Paul Scholes must have been there brain washing the fans in the ground and acting as ring leaders.
What are you going on about? I've said twice now that I'm criticising how early in the season the stick from Scholes and Neville came, not LvG's response to it. It was already coming before the Arsenal game and it lead to leaks in the press in the build up to that game and after. It came at a time when it was unnecessary and put unneeded pressure on the team.

The stick went right back to a CL qualifier we had won 3 or 4-0 and Scholes was sat hunched over mumbling about a lack pace on the flanks, it not being what he likes and bunch of other nonsense. Totally unnecessary and it even backed Scholes into a corner with BT presenters looking to him to deliver all the headline criticism further down the line.

Champagne Football

Along with Moyes, Van Gaal will be remembered as Utd's worst ever manager. Both of them were to Utd what Souness was to Liverpool. He was that bad. Spent a fortune on mediocrity while he sold superior players like Chicharito, Evans, Welbeck, Kagawa for peanuts. Played the worst style of football not only ever seen at Utd but in the history of all leagues in the UK. Like Moyes his methods were the opposite of what Utd is about and he was 20 years out of date with his methods. Moyes was different in that his methods suited clubs like West Brom, or the Wimbeldon team of the 90's who only had one tactic to pump the ball into the box into some giant brain-dead monster to get on the end of it.

Van Gaal should have been sacked long before he was but I honestly think Ed was seriously thinking to give him a final 3rd season if he made the top 4 and that was only confirmed on the last day of the season so that's why the board rightly waited. Thank God he never got that 3rd season as there'd have been no Europa League win, No Pogba, Bailly, Mkhitaryan, Lukaku, Matic - Christ he would have done unfixable damage had he stayed a 3rd season.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I liked Louis, and was hoping he wouldn't be as bitter towards the club as he clearly is. He can't complain about the sack, but we should've plugged the leak and waited a few days.

Kag

There is no way we were as bad to watch last season, never mind worse.

Still, given what he drummed into the players it's hardly surprising it's taken Jose a while to change things up.
At times, especially from January onwards, it wasn't too far off. Of course, understandably, many people were falling over themselves to claim otherwise in support of yet another manager we obviously don't want to see make an arse of it. Ultimately, though, we scored less goals than Bournemouth and approached games with our rivals already defeated. Mourinho was piss poor in the league and there's no doubt about that.

It seems to be getting better, mind you.

prtk0811

I liked Louis, and was hoping he wouldn't be as bitter towards the club as he clearly is. He can't complain about the sack, but we should've plugged the leak and waited a few days.
We should have told him 6 months earlier.

Jazz

Its football, But its not United values. The way he's talking reflects he held the club in high esteem and was proud to be the united manager but he was disappointed by the way woodward kept him in the dark. A Football's iconic manager was strong enough to handle the truth for 6 months and give it all. He largely understood the decision to hire mourinho.
Yes I understand perfectly the way he thinks and how United is seen (or was) in football. However, the business is full of shite people so he cannot have been all that surprised. I would say he sounds disappointed because maybe he saw United as being 'different', but found otherwise.

I do agree that he would have been able to handle the truth for 6 months. He had that much respect for the club that I don't believe he would have done anything unprofessional during that time to derail our season any further.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
We should have told him 6 months earlier.
Yeah I agree. But once it was clear we wanted him to win us the FA cup, we should have let the man have the night to enjoy it. I think we announced it like 8:30 that evening.

Jazz

And you can still like him, he's not bitter about the club, or making excuses - he's only upset about the way his sacking was handled.

The Bloody-Nine

At times, especially from January onwards, it wasn't too far off. Of course, understandably, many people were falling over themselves to claim otherwise in support of yet another manager we obviously don't want to see make an arse of it. Ultimately, though, we scored less goals than Bournemouth and approached games with our rivals already defeated. Mourinho was piss poor in the league and there's no doubt about that.

It seems to be getting better, mind you.
As I said, a lot of that is down to LvG and his methods. Piss poor is a little harsh, given that we f*cked the league off while still in contention for the top 4, in order to concentrate on the EL.

Garethw

That really isn't true mate. We drew far to many home games last season which was unacceptable, but we were never as boring to watch as we were under LVG.

Most of our problems last year game down to poor finishing from everyone other than Zlatan. We created plenty of chances but were abysmal at putting the ball in the net.

Under LVG chances were few and far between and it was all about possession possession possession, or as I call it zzzzzzz zzzzzzz zzzzzzz the cure for insomnia.

The Bloody-Nine

That really isn't true mate. We drew far to many home games last season which was unacceptable, but we were never as boring to watch as we were under LVG.

Most of our problems last year game down to poor finishing from everyone other than Zlatan. We created plenty of chances but were abysmal at putting the ball in the net.

Under LVG chances were few and far between and it was all about possession possession possession, or as I call it zzzzzzz zzzzzzz zzzzzzz the cure for insomnia.
Remember when we went multiple games without even mustering a shot on target? *shudders*