Van Gaal slams United for sacking him, AGAIN!

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
And you can still like him, he's not bitter about the club, or making excuses - he's only upset about the way his sacking was handled.
Seems like he's pretty bitter to me. The last line shows he has a fair bit of anger towards the board at least, if not the fans.

prtk0811

Yeah I agree. But once it was clear we wanted him to win us the FA cup, we should have let the man have the night to enjoy it. I think we announced it like 8:30 that evening.
The press already knew it 3 - 4 months earlier. It was made official after fa cup. It was classless by woodward.

LoneStar

I don't care how it was handled. We were playing probably the worst football in the world with him in charge. The club needs to be absolutely ruthless if it needs to get back to the top. He was deluded if he didn't see it coming.

Thank you for Rashford and Martial. But I would have stopped watching football if he was in charge for one more season.

poacher

I think he has a cause to complain in that we were two faced in our dealings with him. He thought everything was ok and he was going to get a third season when we had already signed his replacement. The thing is professional sport is a ruthless business and as a manager if you don't perform you have to expect that you will be removed. At least LVG got paid out for the third year which amounted to 6m GBP. There aren't many jobs that you get a 6m GBP payout when you get sacked for under performance.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
The man heard he was sacked during the FA Cup Final celebrations after the match.

Anyone who doesn't think his comments are fair clearly didn't read the article, or just a swine.

prtk0811

By the way LVG beat Liv 5 times And his record against big clubs in the league was great.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It wasn't.

What happened was that news came out that United would be firing him.

That news didn't come from United.
We all knew anyway, the club should have been more watertight with the news. It's obvious we leaked it.

Home&Away

After Rashford popped up - he had the players to revert back to 352; the formation he started with - having too wider orientated forwards in martial & Rashford in partnership; an attacking midfielder in lingard who could accommodate space around the front 2 to turn it to 3 upfront (the way he played against chelsea upfront with Rashford). He had a third CB who could bring the ball out to midfield in Blind or TFM; wing backs were there, there were also some of the other players he bought up that didn't look too bad at the time.

Think if he knew he was being sacked he would have sped up the change in the team a little - definitely incapable of making too much of a difference to results.

Either way; I felt that he left United at a marginally better spot than how he found us. He got rid of alot of old players, alot of selfish/single minded players, changed positions for some players and introduced some youngsters. Not a single player who has left has come back to haunt us in any way shape or form & José has been able to improve the central qualities of the team by adding his own 4/5 players that are more lined with United quality.

I think he is disappointed in how things were done behind his back. He has been consistently rubbish at getting teams to play good football and to get good results throughout his career; yet he has been good at structuring teams in to good solid formations.

I expect the 352 to come back at a time when we need a change or have the right players.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Truth is if indicate you're going to sack someone, that's constructive dismissal and illegal. The club had to wait till he failed mathematically to qualify for Champions' League, if they wanted to take advantage of whatever clauses might be there in his contract.

psychdelicblues

After Rashford popped up - he had the players to revert back to 352; the formation he started with - having too wider orientated forwards in martial & Rashford in partnership; an attacking midfielder in lingard who could accommodate space around the front 2 to turn it to 3 upfront (the way he played against chelsea upfront with Rashford). He had a third CB who could bring the ball out to midfield in Blind or TFM; wing backs were there, there were also some of the other players he bought up that didn't look too bad at the time.

Think if he knew he was being sacked he would have sped up the change in the team a little - definitely incapable of making too much of a difference to results.

Either way; I felt that he left United at a marginally better spot than how he found us. He got rid of alot of old players, alot of selfish/single minded players, changed positions for some players and introduced some youngsters. Not a single player who has left has come back to haunt us in any way shape or form & José has been able to improve the central qualities of the team by adding his own 4/5 players that are more lined with United quality.

I think he is disappointed in how things were done behind his back. He has been consistently rubbish at getting teams to play good football and to get good results throughout his career; yet he has been good at structuring teams in to good solid formations.

I expect the 352 to come back at a time when we need a change or have the right players.
Where does 'my captain always play' Rooney fit in this formation.

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
Did he stifle his life out of martial or rashford?
I do think he was starting to stifle Martial yes, you could see his attitude changing as the season wore on. As for Rashford no one seems to have changed him much yet, he pretty well does what he wants.

Did he stifle the team as a whole? You'd have to have been blind not to see it.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
We all knew anyway, the club should have been more watertight with the news. It's obvious we leaked it.
Rumours are that it was the Mourinho camp that did.

But that's not even my criticism of him. He leaked talks with United when David Moyes was still manager here. So he just comes across as a hypocrite.

Weren't Barca also in talks with him while Bobby Robson was still manager too?

He is just being a mega hypocrite. This things happen in football.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Miracle he didn't go at Christmas. He should be thankful for all the money he made from us in the following 5 months playing the worst football to ever grace the Premier League. Going to Old Trafford and seeing about 1 shot in target all game on a regular basis. It was beyond a disgrace that he even finished the season.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I have sympathy for LVG on this specific matter as the club handled his dismissal very badly: not befitting a man of LVG's status or that of a club with our history. Likewise I'm sure Woodward lied to his face regarding ongoing do discussions with Mourinho.

Many posters felt very uncomfortable at the time so it's not surprising that LVG would eventually state these facts.

Of course LVG had to go, and perhaps he was kept too long, but nothing wrong in his specific complaints in this report.

Home&Away

Where does 'my captain always play' Rooney fit in this formation.
I don't agree with how LVG gave rooney a free pass; saying that I know why he did it. Every month a new player from the youth set up would come up or a change in position would come to a player - the only sense of stability that came was that the captain played at all times. At a time our football was dire it became even more obvious that our captain wasn't good enough anymore & that even made José's decision to drop him early on and eventually sell him, that much easier.

Crashoutcassius

It wasn't.

What happened was that news came out that United would be firing him.

That news didn't come from United.
The agreement at the time though was that the media had been briefed since it came out from all journos around the same time in the same way. Hence classless claims

acnumber9

This nonsense again. There is one player in our current starting eleven that Van Gaal signed. That's how good his foundations were. And as much as I think Blind is a decent player he's probably the first area that needs upgraded.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Agree that the manner in which we sacked him was poor & should've been handled better with more respect.

Doesn't seem like he is criticising the fact he was sacked, just how it was handled.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I wonder how things would have panned out if LvG had joined Spurs as originally planned.
It makes you wonder doesn't it. Would we have gone for Pochettino? Probably not imo as I'm guessing that the LVG appointment proves that we were looking for a coach with plenty of European experience.

Prodigy24

I agree with him that it was not handled in the best way. I remember getting out from Wembley after the FA Cup final and everybody was talking about how Jose was more or less done for United, and LVG got sacked the day after if I remember it right.

It was expected that he would get sacked, and that was what all the fans wanted as well, but it could have been handled alot better.

Home&Away

This nonsense again. There is one player in our current starting eleven that Van Gaal signed. That's how good his foundations were. And as much as I think Blind is a decent player he's probably the first area that needs upgraded.
Why are you talking about his signings? I didn't say any were good; I said he sold the trash that needed to be sold because none of those players could play in a fully functional team - none have come back to haunt us;maybe one if any would compete back in this first team. I acknowledged that it was Josés 4-5 signings that has made us a more dominant force but the players around them are doing a more than decent job. LVG got rid of so many old players, so many unnecessarily flashy player's, got us as a club to hold possession as part of our game plan even if we counter attack now, rearranged players positions, made them aware of positioning,made youngsters play in the first team and train with the first team.

People talking about him in the same breath as Mpyes are just as deluded as you might think i am. There's even fans who think that we occasionally rock the 352 due to chelsea playing the 343; um okay.

It's all in the past anyway now; let's see what happens in the future.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
And now do people understand why it was ridiculous to have this animosity towards Moyes when he talked crap after being sacked? Almost every manager does it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You can tell those who have read the link and those who haven't can't you!

acnumber9

Why are you talking about his signings? I didn't say any were good; I said he sold the trash that needed to be sold because none of those players could play in a fully functional team - none have come back to haunt us;maybe one if any would compete back in this first team. I acknowledged that it was Josés 4-5 signings that has made us a more dominant force but the players around them are doing a more than decent job. LVG got rid of so many old players, so many unnecessarily flashy player's, got us as a club to hold possession as part of our game plan even if we counter attack now, rearranged players positions, made them aware of positioning,made youngsters play in the first team and train with the first team.

People talking about him in the same breath as Mpyes are just as deluded as you might think i am. There's even fans who think that we occasionally rock the 352 due to chelsea playing the 343; um okay.

It's all in the past anyway now; let's see what happens in the future.
Jesus Christ. You'd think these players had never played a game of football the way you're talking. Our positioning and movement under Van Gaal was horrendous. It's taken Mourinho to completely change how we play to be effective. The only thing you can give credit to Van Gaal for is the introduction of Rashford. His coaching and 'foundations' were shite. We've only 'rocked' 3-5-2 in pre season and it's more likely because Mourinho wants Rashford and Lukaku up front than the fact Van Gaal did it a few times a couple of years ago with players who have largely been replaced.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
And now do people understand why it was ridiculous to have this animosity towards Moyes when he talked crap after being sacked? Almost every manager does it.
People have animosity towards moyes because of how he was while at the club more then anything

Minimalist

His sacking was a bizarre process. He should have been told around January that year that it was his last season (assuming he wasn't getting booted out immediately).

I had a bit of sympathy for him for sure. He wasn't like Moyes.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Honestly, he's not wrong. It was obvious what was happening so they could've handled it much better rather then to do it how we did right after the fa cup win.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I would have given him the sack over the audio-system during a game in his first year for ruining my enjoyment of football alongside the plague that is Moyes.

Both should shut up and be happy they didn't get a lynch mob coming for them after the dreadful shit they served us.
Yet people on here defended and still defend both of them...

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I think we handled it well. We waited till the season was over and have him the boot.
Unlike other teams who announced the signing of managers before the season ended.
Agreed 100%.

The one thing which LVG did not seem to grasp was that 5th place and an FA Cup, with extremely boring football is not good enough.
He somehow convinced himself that winning the FA Cup, while being tactically poor and playing boring football, was "okay".
The other thing was that Giggs, who knew what was expected of a MUFC manager, didn't tell him that he'd get fired if this style of football continued.
It's almost as if he surrounded himself with "yes men" who would tell him that everything is fine.