Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

kundalini

Defensively Rondon got the better of him most of the time but Lindelof always seemed to do enough to keep the threat to a minimum.

He really needs to demonstrate his supposed quality on the ball because too often he is just doing simple passes; I don't think his team-mates help him by coming towards him, rather than making themselves available higher up the pitch.

simpandenstore

That is whole thing with him, rarely impacts the game, feels like a passenger defensively and his vaunted passing is just basic stuff. What are his strengths as a player?
I saw that every time he had the ball and looked forward, Matic came and blocked him and wanted a pass. Is it Mourinho who has him in his chains and don't let him show what he can do? You cant be passing forward as a CB if you every time get a player in your face.

Kag

I can't remember a more pointless signing. He offers the squad absolutely nothing it didn't already have.

You buy players and sometimes they don't come off. I'm thinking about Di Maria, Depay or Schweinsteiger. All players with individual qualities that could have been of some use to us. Sadly, they just didn't work out.

But this bloke? Not a sausage. He can't head the ball - I'd go as far to say he's horrendous at this. His anticipation and awareness is dreadful (Livermore looked like Thierry Henry with that shuffle in the box that forced the De Gea first half save). In spite of being apparently great on the ball... he does absolutely sod all with it. His passing is no more adventurous than that of Rojo or Jones.

We've got somebody like Daley Blind who's been sat at home picking his arse for months, while this bloke just meanders around the field to the tune of £30 million. Baffling.

Red_toad

That is whole thing with him, rarely impacts the game, feels like a passenger defensively and his vaunted passing is just basic stuff. What are his strengths as a player?
He's a bit of a powder puff of a player. Looks an imposing player, but simply doesn't impose himself. Wasn't at fault for the performance a straight 5 out of 10 player thus far for United.

AndyJ1985

I think the word pointless perfectly sums him up. Bang average and doesn't exhibit any standout qualities at all. A waste of £30m frankly

Silas

I saw that every time he had the ball and looked forward, Matic came and blocked him and wanted a pass. Is it Mourinho who has him in his chains and don't let him show what he can do? You cant be passing forward as a CB if you every time get a player in your face.
I was kind of thinking this. I've been waiting for him to show his range of passing (disappointed so far), but today it seemed like whenever he was on the ball, a midfielder would drop deep until they were literally a metre away to take the ball from him. Isn't that exactly the opposite of what should be happening? The fact that our team is pretty static probably doesn't help.

Alabaster Codify7

Very pointless and ineffective player. Not bad, not good, just bang average which means a complete waste of a signing. He hasn't brought anything to the back line we didn't already have. I reckon he'll be sold next summer, after turning in another bang average season 2018/19.

el3mel

If he remained as useless as this next season he should be sold. Really, his ball playing skills are seen in one game and absent in the next 10.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
He is dosgshit in the air and for that thing alone he should be sold, his ball playing skills actually doesn't exist. I'd say he'd be next to Darmian one of our worst buys, total waste of money, Tuanzebe can do anything Victor can, is younger, free and ours, even with higher potential, this wasn't the best scouting or decision to bring him in.

A-man

Mourinho said he was in the team to step out with the ball! We still waiting.
How could he step out with the ball if you play with three central midfielders, all of them meeting up and eager to take the ball. United are playing with a tactic that doesnt involve CB to advance forward.

Kostov

By the looks of it, we brought no upgrade on the CBs we already have at the club, he isn't nor will be better than the ones we already have, so very pointless signing.

wythyred

Best I've seen him play today I thought he was excellent and I have high hopes he will be a very good player for us going forward.

Based Adnan

You can see he wants to step up into midfield with the ball but as soon as he has it Matic, Pogba, Herrera, Sanchez or Mata immediately come towards him demanding it. Why play/buy a ball playing centre back if this is going to be the case?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You can see he wants to step up into midfield with the ball but as soon as he has it Matic, Pogba, Herrera, Sanchez or Mata immediately come towards him demanding it. Why play/buy a ball playing centre back if this is going to be the case?
If he’s a ball playing CB, he’s not particularly good on it.

El Jefe

I can't remember a more pointless signing. He offers the squad absolutely nothing it didn't already have.

You buy players and sometimes they don't come off. I'm thinking about Di Maria, Depay or Schweinsteiger. All players with individual qualities that could have been of some use to us. Sadly, they just didn't work out.

But this bloke? Not a sausage. He can't head the ball - I'd go as far to say he's horrendous at this. His anticipation and awareness is dreadful (Livermore looked like Thierry Henry with that shuffle in the box that forced the De Gea first half save). In spite of being apparently great on the ball... he does absolutely sod all with it. His passing is no more adventurous than that of Rojo or Jones.

We've got somebody like Daley Blind who's been sat at home picking his arse for months, while this bloke just meanders around the field to the tune of £30 million. Baffling.
Could not agree more. Absolutely pointless signing.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Overall he was probably our third best player (more of a testament to how poorly almost everyone else played), but he still lost two or three very bad headers for West Brom's better chances.
Just because the opposition player heads the ball doesn't mean that you've lost the fight for it. You can't be everywhere in the box at ones and if the cross is good from the point of the attacker then he should win the ball in the better position. Both times Rondon headed the ball at goal Lindelöf was right there distracting Rondon, taking the power out of the header. Lindelöf did well on both occassions.

nesty

Weird signing. Strangely, I don't really have an opinion on him. "Meh" springs to mind. Played a number of games, some gash, some good but overall, meh.

Echoing what others have said, he isn't an upgrade from what we currently have.

R'hllor

I wouldnt call him a pointless, he might end up being a great great defender. Only issue with his transfer and its not even directly related to player is priority of signings.

What i mean, we spent 30 mil. on him and then didnt sign Perisic, due price (at least that is one of public versions). Looking priorities via positions, it seems Perisic should be ahead of CB and then try to get CB with whats left.

Swift Football

Agree. Very Lazy scouting. If we were going to play 2 man backline, Lindelof was a pointless signing. Really surprised at this signing esp cuz Jose is good at bringing in good centre halves.

Bwuk

Daley Blind at CB was far better than Lindelof if we wanted someone who can play the ball forward.

Get rid in the summer.

binary bot
There's been plenty of games where you could criticise Lindelof this season but today wasn't one of them. Out of the 14 players that featured, he'd be near the bottom with De Gea in terms of reasons why we lost.

Litch

Christ everyone's being thrown under the bus.....he actually did ok today

Ekeke

I was kind of thinking this. I've been waiting for him to show his range of passing (disappointed so far), but today it seemed like whenever he was on the ball, a midfielder would drop deep until they were literally a metre away to take the ball from him. Isn't that exactly the opposite of what should be happening? The fact that our team is pretty static probably doesn't help.
Thats just how Matic plays I think. Thats why he gets on the ball a lot and makes lots of passes. If he wasnt doing that, I'm not sure what he'd be doing because its not good defending.

Sylar

I do wonder what he was bought for. I still think the plan was to go for a 3 at the back and him in the middle and we scrapped that plan given the suspensions and injuries

His career so far has been stop-start so not surprised he hasn't shown much
Then again I didn't see him at his last club so disnt see his strengths

A-man

Just because the opposition player heads the ball doesn't mean that you've lost the fight for it. You can't be everywhere in the box at ones and if the cross is good from the point of the attacker then he should win the ball in the better position. Both times Rondon headed the ball at goal Lindelöf was right there distracting Rondon, taking the power out of the header. Lindelöf did well on both occassions.
This is most of the time his tactic in the air. He knows he can't win in the air, instead he tries to not lose. Today he ws quite good at tht as you mentioned.

Some say he is a pointless signing. Maybe he doesnt fit this low way of playing that has become United's new model.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
This is most of the time his tactic in the air. He knows he can't win in the air, instead he tries to not lose. Today he ws quite good at tht as you mentioned.

Some say he is a pointless signing. Maybe he doesnt fit this low way of playing that has become United's new model.
He can win in the air but players like Rondon build their whole game around challenges like this. If you take that away from them they are left with very little.

Canagel

Our midfielders drop too deep. Way too deep. Our centre halves can push up and bring the ball into midfield only if we start to play a higher line. It's difficult to judge Lindelof because he may have decent passing but the current set up of the team is not helping. We are too passive as a team and hardly show any aggression unless Bailly is playing. I'm worried that we haven't seen his passing ability yet. At the beginning I thought it was just nerves but clearly there's something else.

automaticflare

Our midfielders drop too deep. Way too deep. Our centre halves can push up and bring the ball into midfield only if we start to play a higher line. It's difficult to judge Lindelof because he may have decent passing but the current set up of the team is not helping. We are too passive as a team and hardly show any aggression unless Bailly is playing. I'm worried that we haven't seen his passing ability yet. At the beginning I thought it was just nerves but clearly there's something else.
Our center halves cannot pass which is why our midfields coming so deep to pick up the ball. In last 20 mins they had ample opportunity come out with the ball but lumped balls forward. Smalling and lindelof are both rubbish.

A-man

He can win in the air but players like Rondon build their whole game around challenges like this. If you take that away from them they are left with very little.
Yes and of course if you have a player like that, you tell him to challenge Lindelof (or Bailly or any other CB who is relatively weak in the air) instead of facing Smalling who is strong. But my point was, that if you aren't very strong in the air, the focus should be to disturb and obstruct (in a legal way of course). And that can be just as effective.

soapythecat

He did ok yesterday but I don't see what he actually brings to the team above what we already have. I've seen Blind play better in that position.
If he really is the future of our back line then he needs to show a lot more composure and ability - seems to get knocked off the ball way too easily for a premium signing.
We have a habit of paying big money for really average players and Victor seems to be another one of those, unfortunately.

Ardis

I believe I have expressed this before. Victor shouldn't be played against brainless, kick-and-rush teams from the PL, like Huddersfield, West Brom, Stoke etc.

He really should be playing in La Liga or Serie A, where tactical thinking is an important asset.

Status
Not open for further replies.