Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

I have to agree with most of the rest. He had a terrible start here, one of the worst I've seen. His first few matches made him look Championship level at best. Then after a while he started to find his feet and he's done okay at times. But just okay.

If he was playing for another premier league team this season we wouldnt be looking at signing him.

A-man

I have to agree with most of the rest. He had a terrible start here, one of the worst I've seen. His first few matches made him look Championship level at best. Then after a while he started to find his feet and he's done okay at times. But just okay.

If he was playing for another premier league team this season we wouldnt be looking at signing him.
I seriously think he would have fit better in most of the other top PL teams. United are not a team that build attacks from the back, and thereby one of his best abilities is lost.

SATA

I would wait till i see him play in a Swedish shirt in the coming world cup. People tell me he's a different player in the national team so i want to see it for myself first before judging him

Ekeke

I seriously think he would have fit better in most of the other top PL teams. United are not a team that build attacks from the back, and thereby one of his best abilities is lost.
He's there to do that, we believe. He just hasnt. Hasnt had the character to do it.

Daley Blind did it. And he's out in the cold, barely playing a game this season

A-man

He's there to do that, we believe. He just hasnt. Hasnt had the character to do it.

Daley Blind did it. And he's out in the cold, barely playing a game this season
It’s not just to do that. The team must play in a way to support that and that’s not the way United play. As been written before, one example is how the central defenders always come and block the path, meeting up extremely low instead of making themselves available further up the pitch.

Ekeke

It’s not just to do that. The team must play in a way to support that and that’s not the way United play. As been written before, one example is how the central defenders always come and block the path, meeting up extremely low instead of making themselves available further up the pitch.
Blind had this as well. But he was still able to play the ball out from the back very well and by the end of his time as a CB was doing a very good job defensively too.

Are you really suggesting someone like Pique would stop passing the ball around well because a CM drops deep to offer a pass? Sometimes that happens at Barcelona. Thats why sometimes these types of players can be useful. Because if a midfielder drops deep then that creates space for the player to move into.

haram

People giving him shit for the sake of it. He will have bad games in the future dont worry, you can come in here with your bollocks then.

Loublaze

ATLien
I would wait till i see him play in a Swedish shirt in the coming world cup. People tell me he's a different player in the national team so i want to see it for myself first before judging him
What good is his Swedish form if he can't replicate it in a United shirt? I've seen him play for Sweden and I really think people are overstating things. Sweden are a solid defensive unit but Lindelof doesn't stand out for them at the back he merely neatly provides a modicum of reliability IMO. The Swedish back line consists of aging workhorses like Granqvist, Mikael Lustig and the young Augustinsson at leftback. None of these guys are even premiership level players but they were heroic against Italy in world cup qualifying.

A-man

Blind had this as well. But he was still able to play the ball out from the back very well and by the end of his time as a CB was doing a very good job defensively too.

Are you really suggesting someone like Pique would stop passing the ball around well because a CM drops deep to offer a pass? Sometimes that happens at Barcelona. Thats why sometimes these types of players can be useful. Because if a midfielder drops deep then that creates space for the player to move into.
Yes, that is one of the more clear reasons why it is difficult for a CB to drive the ball forward. Look at it the next match, sometimes Mata physically blocks his path. This is not creating space, it is stealing space. Lindelof has looked really frustradet and annoyed by this in some matches. Barcelona don't play like that at all.

Reactions: Penna

A-man

What good is his Swedish form if he can't replicate it in a United shirt? I've seen him play for Sweden and I really think people are overstating things. Sweden are a solid defensive unit but Lindelof doesn't stand out for them at the back he merely neatly provides a modicum of reliability IMO. The Swedish back line consists of aging workhorses like Granqvist, Mikael Lustig and the young Augustinsson at leftback. None of these guys are even premiership level players but they were heroic against Italy in world cup qualifying.
Why it is good that he shows good form in the Swedish team? Because that means he is a good player, and then it is up to United to utilize it. He started in a weak way in his first matches but in competition with (and slightly beaten by) Smalling he has been the best CB in United in 2018. IMO.

"Not even premiership level", I think you are over rating English football. Especially Granqvist who would be able to play in most PL teams.

Loublaze

ATLien
Why it is good that he shows good form in the Swedish team? Because that means he is a good player, and then it is up to United to utilize it. He started in a weak way in his first matches but in competition with (and slightly beaten by) Smalling he has been the best CB in United in 2018. IMO.

"Not even premiership level", I think you are over rating English football. Especially Granqvist who would be able to play in most PL teams.
I'm aptly rating English football. None of those guys would cut it in England or any of the top leagues. If they could they would be plying their trade elsewhere. International form has very little bearing on domestic performances IMO. Maybe you can say internationals can give players a confidence boost, but it doesn't work this way for many players and certainly not for Lindelof. What you see from him domestically is what you get.

A-man

I'm aptly rating English football. None of those guys would cut it in England or any of the top leagues. If they could they would be plying their trade elsewhere. International form has very little bearing on domestic performances IMO. Maybe you can say internationals can give players a confidence boost, but it doesn't work this way for many players and certainly not for Lindelof. What you see from him domestically is what you get.
I cannot be sure, but I doubt you follow Krasnodar's matches? The reason Granqvist plays in Russia is spelled Euros or Dollars. He would never make that much of money somewhere else. Last summer, FC Copenhagen wanted to sign him, but were chocked when they learned that his salary was higher than their entire team together.

I have never been a great fan of Lustig, and playing in Celtic is probably about the right level for him. Augustinsson plays in an average team in German league but will move. You saying that his is worse than Premiership level is why I think you overestimate English football.

Loublaze

ATLien
I cannot be sure, but I doubt you follow Krasnodar's matches? The reason Granqvist plays in Russia is spelled Euros or Dollars. He would never make that much of money somewhere else. Last summer, FC Copenhagen wanted to sign him, but were chocked when they learned that his salary was higher than their entire team together.

I have never been a great fan of Lustig, and playing in Celtic is probably about the right level for him. Augustinsson plays in an average team in German league but will move. You saying that his is worse than Premiership level is why I think you overestimate English football.
It easily is a much higher level and no, I don't follow Krasnodar's matches, Swedish or Russian football. Those are mickey-mouse leagues compared to the PL and I can't believe you're actually trying to make a case for their quality versus premiership football. Its not even about overrating English football, its about being factual. If any of those players were as good as you suggest they'd be playing CL league football or at least playing in one of the top 5 UEFA ranked leagues bar the one in Germany playing for a Werder Bremen who finished 7 points above the relegation zone. It's not rocket science and its not that debatable. Its almost like you're taking offence to me saying one league is glaringly better than another.

Two of those Swedish players are over 30 and will probably never get the chance to prove themselves at the highest or much higher level club wise. Grangvist is a 33 year old journeyman who failed to cut it in England for Wigan and Italy and is currently at the best level league and salary wise he'll ever achieve since even the European powerhouse that FC Compenhagen are couldn't even afford his services (I found that laughable). The man couldn't handle the pace and intensity of the PL and Steve Bruce sent him packing. Lustig is 31 and you at least agree he's at his right level and Augustinsson while still young is not much of a remarkable talent that I foresee really stepping up to a bigger club than the one he's already at.

Last edited:

Nedved

It easily is a much higher level and no, I don't follow Krasnodar's matches, Swedish or Russian football. Those are mickey-mouse leagues compared to the PL and I can't believe you're actually trying to make a case for their quality versus premiership football. Its not even about overrating English football, its about being factual. If any of those players were as good as you suggest they'd be playing CL league football or at least playing in one of the top 5 UEFA ranked leagues bar the one in Germany playing for a Werder Bremen who finished 7 points above the relegation zone. It's not rocket science and its not that debatable. Its almost like you're taking offence to me say one league is glaringly better than another.

Two of those Swedish players are over 30 and will probably never get the chance to prove themselves at the highest or much higher level club wise. Grangvist is a 33 year old journeyman who failed to cut it in England for Wigan and Italy and is currently at the best level league and salary wise he'll ever achieve since even the European powerhouse that FC Compenhagen are couldn't even afford his services (I found that laughable). The man couldn't handle the pace and intensity of the PL and Steve Bruce sent him packing. Lustig is 31 and you at least agree he's at his right level and Augustinsson while still young is not much of a remarkable talent that I foresee really stepping up to a bigger club than the one he's already at.
Lies. Granqvist was highly rated at Genoa and wasn’t linked to Milan, but the money was simply better in Russia for a 30 year old.

So what he couldn’t make it at Wigan? Better players have underpeformed at a young age in one league only to become significantly better later. Salah, [Irrelevant point], Borja Valero etc. Swedish defender Jansson was horrible at Torino but now seems to be a fan favorite at Leeds.

Loublaze

ATLien
Lies. Granqvist was highly rated at Genoa and wasn’t linked to Milan, but the money was simply better in Russia.

So what he couldn’t make it at Wigan? Better players have underpeformed at a young age in one league only to become significantly better later. Salah, [Irrelevant point], Borja Valero etc. Swedish defender Jansson was horrible at Torino but now seems to be a fan favorite at Leeds.
Good for him about the money situation in Russia (since its all about the money right? Maybe next he can secure a move to China), but why hasn't the guy played at a higher level than what he's achieved? He's just not that good. His career has been bang average and thats not a bad thing, my contention here is that he's not good enough for teams in the best leagues. Is that wrong? His career thus far has certainly shown what his true level is. Are you also in agreement with the other poster that im overrating English football against the leagues where these Swedes earn their bread and butter?

FILF

Why do people say Lindelof has had good games?

His mistakes don't lead to direct goals anymore but there is about 5 mistakes that happen in a game.

He loses his main defensive target almost instantly under pressure & needs to be covered by his partner. He misplaces passes, misunderstands tempo of attack & defence & much more simple things like balance.

Some have even called him the best defender of 2018 - watch the first half of the last match he played; constantly plays like a nervous player on his debut.

Blind is x5 times the player Lindelof is at CB.

Nedved

Good for him about the money situation in Russia (since its all about the money right? Maybe next he can secure a move to China), but why hasn't the guy played at a higher level than what he's achieved? He's just not that good. His career has been bang average and thats not a bad thing, my contention here is that he's not good enough for teams in the best leagues. Is that wrong? His career thus far has certainly shown what his true level is. Are you also in agreement with the poster that im overrating English football against the leagues where these Swedes earn their bread and butter?
He was good enough for a decent Genoa-side that was in EL-spot contention. That was his level. Nothing more, nothing less. You wrote that he failed in Italy, which is factually incorrect. Accept your mistake and move on.

deafepl

For reason, I believe we brought him for the future and because of his asset that all other CB lack. If we go ahead with 3 centres back, he will start as he is better suited to this. Any progressive manager like Kloop, Guardiola and Poch will start him instead of Smalling and Jones.

A-man

It easily is a much higher level and no, I don't follow Krasnodar's matches, Swedish or Russian football. Those are mickey-mouse leagues compared to the PL and I can't believe you're actually trying to make a case for their quality versus premiership football. Its not even about overrating English football, its about being factual. If any of those players were as good as you suggest they'd be playing CL league football or at least playing in one of the top 5 UEFA ranked leagues bar the one in Germany playing for a Werder Bremen who finished 7 points above the relegation zone. It's not rocket science and its not that debatable. Its almost like you're taking offence to me saying one league is glaringly better than another.

I am not saying that Swedish, German or Russian League are as good as PL. I am saying that you are wrong when you say that none in the Swedish defence has the level to play in any PL team. And you claim that without even watching the players. Neymar moving to a league with more or less the same UEFA ranking points as the Russian league doesnt automatically make him below premiership class.

Loublaze

ATLien
He was good enough for a decent Genoa-side that was in EL-spot contention. That was his level. Nothing more, nothing less. You wrote that he failed in Italy, which is factually incorrect. Accept your mistake and move on.
So your only take in this debate is your contention that he was good enough for a decent Genoa team that failed to make Europe? Ok, I admit I was wrong, he clearly made the grade in midtable serie A.

I am not saying that Swedish, German or Russian League are as good as PL. I am saying that you are wrong when you say that none in the Swedish defence has the level to play in any PL team. And you claim that without even watching the players. Neymar moving to a league with more or less the same UEFA ranking points as the Russian league doesnt automatically make him below premiership class.
How can I be wrong when its merely an opinion I hold? Its an opinion that is probably right based on their career levels which have so far been below PL standard. Bringing Neymar into this as a comparison is utterly ridiculous as he's a world class player who has pretty much won everything but a world cup title.

A-man

His mistakes don't lead to direct goals anymore but there is about 5 mistakes that happen in a game.

He loses his main defensive target almost instantly under pressure & needs to be covered by his partner. He misplaces passes, misunderstands tempo of attack & defence & much more simple things like balance.

Some have even called him the best defender of 2018 - watch the first half of the last match he played; constantly plays like a nervous player on his debut.

Name any centre back in United and you could find a poor half. And the last match you are mentioned, overall he was the best player together with Smalling and DDG. In my and many others opinion.

A-man

How can I be wrong when its merely an opinion I hold? Its an opinion that is probably right based on their career levels which have so far been below PL standard. Bringing Neymar into this as a comparison is utterly ridiculous as he's a world class player who has pretty much won everything but a world cup title.
You believe every Swedish defender, except maybe Lindelof(?), is below PL level, based on which leagues they play in. One play in Celtic, which most likely would be an average team in PL, one play(ed) in an average team in Germany, and one in Russia. As explained, it was money who put Granqvist in Russia, not level of skills. Just like Oscar went to China. Your 'opinion' is probably based on some idea that PL is far superior to eveything else.

My opinion is that especially Granqvist would do well in PL. Maybe not a top defender, but something like Smalling's level.

Loublaze

ATLien
You believe every Swedish defender, except maybe Lindelof(?), is below PL level, based on which leagues they play in. One play in Celtic, which most likely would be an average team in PL, one play(ed) in an average team in Germany, and one in Russia. As explained, it was money who put Granqvist in Russia, not level of skills. Just like Oscar went to China. Your 'opinion' is probably based on some idea that PL is far superior to eveything else.

My opinion is that especially Granqvist would do well in PL. Maybe not a top defender, but something like Smalling's level.
Stop deluding yourself. Grnqvist's time has passed. He had a chance in the PL and he failed to cut it. Hes 33 fvcking years old his best bet from here on is MLS, Saudi Arabia, Australia or China. He's not even fit to lace Smalling's boots. Maybe comprehension is not one of your strong suits but how can me saying the PL is superior to Scottish, Russian or German football the same as me saying its far superior to anything else? Jesus

Loublaze

ATLien

Blind is indeed the much superior player. Mourinho can't even trust Lindelof against tough opposition. He'll get another chance to impress next season but i think he'll be sold if he doesnt show big improvements.

A-man

Stop deluding yourself. Grnqvist's time has passed. He had a chance in the PL and he failed to cut it. Hes 33 fvcking years old his best bet from here on is MLS, Saudi Arabia, Australia or China. He's not even fit to lace Smalling's boots. Maybe comprehension is not one of your strong suits but how can me saying the PL is superior to Scottish, Russian or German football the same as me saying its far superior to anything else? Jesus
We will see in the World Cup. My bet is that Granqvist will play in the WC and if Smalling gets the same opportunity, we can compare them and see if Granqvist has a level above lacing Smalling’s boots.

Loublaze

ATLien
We will see in the World Cup. My bet is that Granqvist will play in the WC and if Smalling gets the same opportunity, we can compare them and see if Granqvist has a level above lacing Smalling’s boots.
Smalling is probably not even going to play at the world cup because Gareth Southgate wants players like Stones and McGuire because they are better passers. All in all you can't really use internationals as a barometer to gauge a player's ability in club football.

Last edited:

FujiVice

See he's starting today. I'd start him for the remaining games to be honest. Could do with a run of games.

Ekeke

Too casual with his closing down of Miki which made the chance easy and 1 or 2 sloppy passes, but also did well on a few occasions where the ball was played in behind him and he was comfortable under the pressure of the attacker to come away with the ball. Mixed bag

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Didn't put a foot wrong really. Still criticised for some reason though.

Status
Not open for further replies.