Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie Boy

I can see this kid has talent and I'm hoping he can keep on improving and getting more comfortable with his surroundings so he can make it here. There's a talented player in there.

mad1max954

I can see this kid has talent and I'm hoping he can keep on improving and getting more comfortable with his surroundings so he can make it here. There's a talented player in there.
I agree and defo think he should have a decent run. His technique and passing helps the rest of the team play too. His general defending seems to be better and he is pretty vocal too. As a negative, I feel he does struggle a bit when the ball is in the air, whether its a strength / heading thing or just general composure thing. Its certainly an area of game he needs to improve.

Smalling is pretty dominant in the air and a decent defender (even though sometimes his positions intelligence lets him down) so makes a decent partner whilst Bailey recovers.

At the start of the season, I thought it would be better to ship Smalling out and keep Jones. Now I am pretty certain we should get rid of Jones and keep Smalling!

gajender

I agree and defo think he should have a decent run. His technique and passing helps the rest of the team play too. His general defending seems to be better and he is pretty vocal too. As a negative, I feel he does struggle a bit when the ball is in the air, whether its a strength / heading thing or just general composure thing. Its certainly an area of game he needs to improve.

Smalling is pretty dominant in the air and a decent defender (even though sometimes his positions intelligence lets him down) so makes a decent partner whilst Bailey recovers.

At the start of the season, I thought it would be better to ship Smalling out and keep Jones. Now I am pretty certain we should get rid of Jones and keep Smalling!
Or we could simply ship out Rojo who is as injury prone as Jones but not better than either Smalling or Jones.

AshRK

He is improving but one thing I would want him to bring to his game is tackle more. It seems he follows his opponent without tackling, yes it's good to have a player who doesn't make rash challenges but then sometime you have to be more commanding and commit the tackle so that the danger can be averted early.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Or we could simply ship out Rojo who is as injury prone as Jones but not better than either Smalling or Jones.
What about both? Bailly, Smalling and someone like maybe Alderweireld or Varane would be an upgrade in quality and then we have Tuanzebe and Lindelof as well. I don't think that would be a bad move tbh

gajender

What about both? Bailly, Smalling and someone like maybe Alderweireld or Varane would be an upgrade in quality and then we have Tuanzebe and Lindelof as well. I don't think that would be a bad move tbh
I have no issues with moving both of them and upgrading I was only commenting on the order of selling for me it would be Rojo, Jones and then Smalling.

kundalini

I would like to see him take more responsibility for building attacks, making passes into midfield, the occasional surge forwards if a gap arises, playing balls over the top for attackers to run on to. As a team, we often seem scared of possession, playing the ball back to De Gea, who launches it.

Djemba-Djemba

I thought he looked nervous on Sunday and I'm slightly surprisded by the praise he's been getting for his performance.

I do think he's generally got better as the season has gone on though and you can see there's a proper player there. He just needs more consistency and to relax a bit.

stepic

Fairplay to Lindelof, he’s starting to look the part here.

A proper ball-playing centre-back who looks like he can actually defend.

Credit to him for having the confidence in himself to keep playing his way and overcoming his nightmare start to his career here.

AP88

Supports
Man City
I thought he looked nervous on Sunday and I'm slightly surprisded by the praise he's been getting for his performance.

I do think he's generally got better as the season has gone on though and you can see there's a proper player there. He just needs more consistency and to relax a bit.
Yeah he was ‘decent’ and people got giddy about having a generic defender who can pass properly rather than anything he did specifically; it proved that Smalling is fine when paired with a Blind-esque footballer and can be kept.

Lindelöf looks better, but still fairly mediocre; he’s effectively an IKEA Alderweireld, and United should be going all out to acquire the real one this summer.

Loan Lindelöf out to make his errors and mature elsewhere, because there’s no margin for error at the top of the Premier League....indeed it was his awful performance against Huddersfield that first gave City any kind of substantial lead in the title race.

Get Alderweireld, keep Smalling, Bailly, Rojo and Jones (primarily as a right back but never central with Smalling) and integrate Tuanzebe - the pedigree of the defence increased immediately. If Victor excels elsewhere, bring him back.

A-man

Yeah he was ‘decent’ and people got giddy about having a generic defender who can pass properly rather than anything he did specifically; it proved that Smalling is fine when paired with a Blind-esque footballer and can be kept.

Lindelöf looks better, but still fairly mediocre; he’s effectively an IKEA Alderweireld, and United should be going all out to acquire the real one this summer.

Loan Lindelöf out to make his errors and mature elsewhere, because there’s no margin for error at the top of the Premier League....indeed it was his awful performance against Huddersfield that first gave City any kind of substantial lead in the title race.

Get Alderweireld, keep Smalling, Bailly, Rojo and Jones (primarily as a right back but never central with Smalling) and integrate Tuanzebe - the pedigree of the defence increased immediately. If Victor excels elsewhere, bring him back.
Wouldn't say he has made more mistake than anybody else. And it is ridiculous to blame him for City's success, based on one mistake in one game. Jones single handedly gave Tottenham a victory. That how it goes when a CB makes a mistake. In the same game a forward misses a sitter. That mistake costs just as much as Jones own goal, Lindelöfs poor clearance or a reckless tackle from Rojo inside the penalty box.

And if you want ball playing CBs you have to accept even more costly mistakes. In the big international teams like Barcelona and Real they know that is the price for always trying to play the ball.

Penalty

I feel that some people have too high expectations in Victor, probably mainly because of his price.

He hasn't had that many seasons in the the highest level and has developed really fast these last couple of seasons.

After playing in a top team in Portugal where defence probably wasn't as important as now I must say that he's done fairly well considering this being his first season in a very tough league.

With the help of Mourinho and the staff, Victor will most likely improve a lot next season and the one after.

Hopefully a good campaign in the WC will further increase his confidence.

haram

30 million isn’t even expensive anymore if we are being honest.

Fish in kettles

Supports
Man City
Players like Drinkwater and Keane go for 30 million.
Hardly the benchmark, however point taken, its a moving market. Mangala looked overpriced and still does, Ottamendi looked overpriced now he doesn't, Kompany looked cheap and he still does Stones I haven't made my mind up yet. I do however think people need to get over the "but he is a defender" Rio was 32 million(?) in whenever, stupidly expensive, do any United fans think it was a bad deal.

It's all part of the fun i guess.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
He's seems a fair bit more vocal that what we've been used to from our CBs. That helps the whole team immensely.

I would like to see him take more responsibility for building attacks, making passes into midfield, the occasional surge forwards if a gap arises, playing balls over the top for attackers to run on to. As a team, we often seem scared of possession, playing the ball back to De Gea, who launches it.
I think that will come with confidence. You can see he gets his head up and looks at those passes and runs but decides to play it safe.

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
Wouldn't say he has made more mistake than anybody else. And it is ridiculous to blame him for City's success, based on one mistake in one game. Jones single handedly gave Tottenham a victory. That how it goes when a CB makes a mistake. In the same game a forward misses a sitter. That mistake costs just as much as Jones own goal, Lindelöfs poor clearance or a reckless tackle from Rojo inside the penalty box.

And if you want ball playing CBs you have to accept even more costly mistakes. In the big international teams like Barcelona and Real they know that is the price for always trying to play the ball.
I remember Varane against Espanyol making a copy of Lindelöf's clearance that almost resulted in a goal (Lindelöf's clearance was a clear offside between). It's interesting because Varane is mentioned just a few posts up. Real Madrid lost that match between. 1-0 to Espanyol.

A-man

I remember Varane against Espanyol making a copy of Lindelöf's clearance that almost resulted in a goal (Lindelöf's clearance was a clear offside between). It's interesting because Varane is mentioned just a few posts up. Real Madrid lost that match between. 1-0 to Espanyol.
I think there are two major differences. Varane is recognized as one of the worlds best CB, and a mistake every now and then is ok. As a matter of fact both him and Ramos make several mistakes. Second, Spanish CB are much more adventourous in passing, dribbling and keeping the ball. They dont just clear it, they play it. And the Spanish fans know that the this sometimes costs goals. It costs goals when Marcelo doesn't have the time to run home after he dribbled his way to the corner flag for the tenth time, when Ramos joins the central attack or when Varane tries to play the ball out from a difficult situation in his own box. Everybody knows that and it is no big deal when it happens. In other leagues it is more the old fashioned way of looking at defenders and it is only focus on defending and people talk about a single mistake for months.

Fish in kettles

Supports
Man City
I think there are two major differences. Varane is recognized as one of the worlds best CB, and a mistake every now and then is ok. As a matter of fact both him and Ramos make several mistakes. Second, Spanish CB are much more adventourous in passing, dribbling and keeping the ball. They dont just clear it, they play it. And the Spanish fans know that the this sometimes costs goals. It costs goals when Marcelo doesn't have the time to run home after he dribbled his way to the corner flag for the tenth time, when Ramos joins the central attack or when Varane tries to play the ball out from a difficult situation in his own box. Everybody knows that and it is no big deal when it happens. In other leagues it is more the old fashioned way of looking at defenders and it is only focus on defending and people talk about a single mistake for months.

Other leagues? You haven't seen City play recently, and leave no one at home? Well Otamendi, but no one who can defend, still it seems to work.

A-man

Other leagues? You haven't seen City play recently, and leave no one at home? Well Otamendi, but no one who can defend, still it seems to work.
City is one team, which are well ahead of every other team in the league and with capacity to win CL. But I wouldnt say that this type of football is characteristic for the PL, would you? I would, however, say that it is common in La Liga with ball playing defenders and defenders who join or even build up the attack.

Crystal Palace 2:3 Man Utd

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
He was poor. Especially because of the first goal when he turned around instead of facing Townsend's shot head on which helped divert the ball past De Gea. That is just a lack of bravery from Lindelöf.

Bobski

He really struggled tonight in all facets of defending. I think if he is going to succeed here long term he will have to hit the weights in the summer and increase his power. Might be less of a problem in Europe but he gets targeted for that weakness.

el3mel

His heading needs massive improvement.

However, I'm actually more concerned about his "ball playing CB" skills. Didn't see enough so far. He's composed but he doesn't seem to do anything particular with the ball.

As I said previously I'll save my jury on him for the next season.

Bojan11

Benteke has been shit all season and generally is a mouse. Yet he bullied Lindelof. Worrying.

NinjaFletch

I just really don't see it with him.

He hasn't shown much to suggest that he is particularly good on the ball (but maybe it's a confidence thing I don't know) which is worrying because the rest of his game is thoroughly average. Lacks physicality, aggression, and nous.

Turning his back for the first goal was particularly inexcusable.

Brophs

The One and Only
He just doesn't seem to sense danger at all, without even mentioning how tough he's finding it physically. Maybe it'll all just click, but I don't have any confidence when I see him in the side.

Roboc7

Bailly has to come back in, just too soft and made it far too easy for palace tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.