Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

napadaj

He panics all the time. Ten minutes until the end, he hit two balls out of the pitch when there was really no need to do that, no one was pressing him and he had a few passing options. Really needs to get his grip and calm down.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Not good, one step forward two steps back with this guy. That's the story so far.
This. The sooner someone, be it Bailly, Rojo, preferably both, can come back, the better. Trust Tuanzebe to show consistency more than Lindelof.

Irrational.

He was bested by Benteke today.

Firmino will be a different challenge, I think that'll be much more his kind of game, but I can see Bailly starting instead.

xplatformjedi

Supports
Pittsburgh Steelers
I've said since he was signed...defensive ability is the prime requirement of a CB. It's not the ability to pass out of the back. All he people championing his passing as a CB need to be quiet. He's the 4th best defending CB on our roster (Bailly, Rojo, Jones) and he better not start against Sevilla.

Last edited by a moderator:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
However, I'm actually more concerned about his "ball playing CB" skills. Didn't see enough so far. He's composed but he doesn't seem to do anything particular with the ball.
Agreed. It's debatable if he's even better than Bailly when on the ball, and he certainly hasn't shown anything like Blind or other top 'ball-playing' defenders are capable of. As has been mentioned elsewhere maybe it's just a confidence thing at the moment and it will improve.

izec

Dont know what Jose saw/sees in him. He is not his type of defender at all. He basically isnt a good defender and he hasnt shown consistency in his passing.

Iceman is also a weird name, contrary to what he shows for United. I feel he is one of the players who has problems stepping up to this level. The physical side of the Premier League doesnt help him either

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
He’s very weird. Just when he has 2 or 3 solid, almost impressive games he goes and does that.

There seems to be a player in there. But he’s still not up to the physical demands by the looks of it.

A-man

No he’s not. He’s been totally shite for the last two seasons. Only under big Sam he looked half decent.
And it seems like he just lost another match, while Lindelöf and United walk away with three points.

EmileHeskey

He's a centre back that cost 30m+ and he turns his back on a shot, and when he jumps for a header (vs Benteke 2nd half) he closed his eyes and his head was down. Weak.

Last edited by a moderator:

Loublaze

ATLien
Does anyone think he's an upgrade on Blind? I think thats what Mourinho was going for when he signed him.

Bojan11

And it seems like he just lost another match, while Lindelöf and United walk away with three points.
Yes because that means we should forget about his performance. You in a performance thread not the results thread.

Canagel

I get nervous just by looking at him. And all he does is spread nerves through the defence. He looks like a deer in the headlights at times but the more games he plays the quicker he'll adapt to PL football. Will have to be patient with him. Needs to hit the gym in the summer though.

Last edited:

ISS 98

I'm getting a similar feeling I've had with a few of our signings the last 4 years - Depay, Falcao etc - where at first it seems like they're just not getting the rub of the green, then it begins to dawn on you that they're probably just not good enough. He hasn't really excelled in any area since he arrived, which is worrying.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He’s Jonny Evans mk2

Good on the ball, tackles well on the floor and intercepts fine.

Stick the ball in the air against a big striker and he falls to pieces.

Sylar

He looks like a man that would be suited to a back three rather than 2 at the back

Like luiz

Return of the Manc

Does anyone think he's an upgrade on Blind? I think thats what Mourinho was going for when he signed him.
He isn't an upgrade even if that is what Jose intended; his ball playing abilities are minute compared to Blind's who I genuinely do miss at CB. I think we need to just look at how Smalling played next to Blind in comparison to the 5 games we have seen with Lindelof next to smalling alongside everybody else who has been his partner. Lindelof cant pass significantly, has strength issues, has concentration issues, scared of the football and so far has had positioning issues.

Blind was deemed to be not good enough at CB- more because its not the managers type of footballer. Lindelof has more pace and height - yet have hardly seen him use it more than Blind.

Loublaze

ATLien
He isn't an upgrade even if that is what Jose intended; his ball playing abilities are minute compared to Blind's who I genuinely do miss at CB. I think we need to just look at how Smalling played next to Blind in comparison to the 5 games we have seen with Lindelof next to smalling alongside everybody else who has been his partner. Lindelof cant pass significantly, has strength issues, has concentration issues, scared of the football and so far has had positioning issues.

Blind was deemed to be not good enough at CB- more because its not the managers type of footballer. Lindelof has more pace and height - yet have hardly seen him use it more than Blind.
You're right. Blind oozed confidence and composure at the back. I even remember him doing well against Lukaku in 2015/16. Lindelof hides and I think the tattoos had Mourinho fooled

Water Melon

The main purpose of defending is, well, defending and he does not seem to be doing it well in the prem. Looks a bit weak compared to opposition's attackers, does not win many headers, does allow big forwards to muscle himself out. Bailly is missed badly.

Red_toad

The main purpose of defending is, well, defending and he does not seem to be doing it well in the prem. Looks a bit weak compared to opposition's attackers, does not win many headers, does allow big forwards to muscle himself out. Bailly is missed badly.
Bailly would also have struggled to contain Beneteke and Palace. His biggest weakness winning headers. Plus he's not actually performed that well this season when fit.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
His basic defensive skills are lacking and that’s a real worry. Would rather have Harry Maguire any day of the week over Lindelof on what I’ve seen.

Denis79

He’s not strong enough in the air to be a top CB in the PL. just don’t see how he’s going to get there
Not that strong on the ground either, gets bullied very easily but I guess that's a bit easier to improve than aerial presence.

Water Melon

Bailly would also have struggled to contain Beneteke and Palace. His biggest weakness winning headers. Plus he's not actually performed that well this season when fit.
At least I have seen Bailly not losing his position due to being out-muscled. Also, the lad is as brave and rough as they come. Lindelof is just a bit meh at everything. Hopefully, Jose sees what we do not.

Composed but still seems scared to do anything with it. He always turns the right way or gets in the right place but then shys away from the pass he is contemplating and goes safe.

I think we will build him up in the gym over the summer. He doesn't rely on speed and agility so I don't see much downside to it. He's a bit like De Gea when he arrived, the ability is there but he loses every 50/50.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I've said since he was signed...defensive ability is the prime requirement of a CB. It's not the ability to pass out of the back. All he people championing his passing as a CB need to be quiet. He's the 4th best defending CB on our roster (Bailly, Rojo, Jones) and he better not start against Sevilla.
Smalling is the best CB at the club at defending. It's his attrocious ball playing skills that let him down massively.

As for Lindelof he's just not adapted to the prem yet, and I don't know if he ever will. He's been mainly great in Europe so far. Give him a pre season in the gym and working on things and he could do great next season.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I think one of the biggest problems with the team at the moment is the ball playing qualities of our central defenders. Despite having so much freedom to move forward with the ball they're just passing easy balls to one another. Playing too safe. They should be intelligent and competent enough to exploit the space and be able to take oppositions front players out of the game. This then allows our midfield players more freedom.

I was under the impression Lindelof was our ball playing saviour at the back. Unfortunately, this has not been the case in the matches we've witnessed. Then again, Bailly, when he first arrived was very good on the ball and he also started playing safe as the season went on. Even De Gea could play a pass in the past but has not done so over the last few seasons.

Could it be instructions from the coaches to play safe, or lack of confidence? It's definitely lack of ball playing ability with Smalling.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Far too weak... got bullied around by Benteke, never looked comfortable in the game at all, and turning your back on a shot? What a feckin' fanny.

wythyred

Nowhere near good enough.

He always plays with fear, and he isn't an intelligent or physically good enough defender to be able to get away with his defensive defincencies.

CA1

Doesn't read the game, poor 1 v 1, poor in the air, poor in the tackle, panics when under pressure, always loses his marker.

I'm all for giving players a chance but I think we've signed a pup here. If he stays any longer he will reach Darmian levels I fear (who somehow is still finding his way on our bench)

Gbenger

He’s weak, far too weak for a CB in the PL.

His ball playing abilities aren’t even that good.

Blind is better than him. Poor signing by Mourinho.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think one of the biggest problems with the team at the moment is the ball playing qualities of our central defenders. Despite having so much freedom to move forward with the ball they're just passing easy balls to one another. Playing too safe. They should be intelligent and competent enough to exploit the space and be able to take oppositions front players out of the game. This then allows our midfield players more freedom.

I was under the impression Lindelof was our ball playing saviour at the back
. Unfortunately, this has not been the case in the matches we've witnessed. Then again, Bailly, when he first arrived was very good on the ball and he also started playing safe as the season went on. Even De Gea could play a pass in the past but has not done so over the last few seasons.

Could it be instructions from the coaches to play safe, or lack of confidence? It's definitely lack of ball playing ability with Smalling.
Me too. There's been glimpses of him being decent on the ball but only glimpses. Just like the glimpses of him being a decent defender. We'll have to hope for a massive improvement in every aspect of his game by next season. Which is definitely possible. Disappointing debut season all the same.

Denis79

I was under the impression Lindelof was our ball playing saviour at the back. Unfortunately, this has not been the case in the matches we've witnessed. Then again, Bailly, when he first arrived was very good on the ball and he also started playing safe as the season went on. Even De Gea could play a pass in the past but has not done so over the last few seasons.

They very rarely carry the ball also. Seen many games when the space is there but they chose the safe pass instead. Don't think it's instructions from the coaches because they do attempt them at times when confidence is high.

Status
Not open for further replies.