Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
Opta don’t generate the scores. Whoscored buy the raw data from Opta for their website and give the scores from their criteria. The stats from that game say he had 9 key passes too, which is a really really high amount. How good the quality of chances he created, that I don’t know as I can’t find an individual highlights for him.
I never said Opta rating systems. I said Opta based rating systems.

De Bruyne did a 6-7 performance.

Key passes is a useless metric in this case since De Bruyne takes most set pieces for Man City.

Classical Mechanic

I never said Opta rating systems. I said Opta based rating systems.

De Bruyne did a 6-7 performance.

Key passes is a useless metric in this case since De Bruyne takes most set pieces for Man City.
Most clubs have a player that takes all set pieces. He would only get a key pass from a set piece if it resulted in an attempt on goal. The quality of chance created is the only grey area here.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Don't even think about him when I see he is in a lineup anymore. Good game again. He is also much more positive with a ball.

It's amazing what a little bit of confidence and time to settle down can do to a player.

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
Most clubs have a player that takes all set pieces. He would only get a key pass from a set piece if it resulted in an attempt on goal. The quality of chance created is the only grey area here.
I see, you mean that his nine in this case needs to be taken with a grain of salt? Is that what you are saying?

Classical Mechanic

I see, you mean that his nine in this case needs to be taken with a grain of salt? Is that what you are saying?
I prefer the word context to scepticism. If you look at their Premier League team of the season, largely it aligns with common perceptions. The inclusion of two of Burnley’s back five might raise a few eyebrows but given they are level on points with Spurs through defensive sturdiness then perhaps not. I don’t make a habit of watching them.

If De Bruyne gets a high rating on there I’m not sceptical as he is one of the best players in the world this season. I can’t see any reason to be sceptical. It may well be that that game was an anomaly but their ratings for him over the course of the season reflect his worth as a player, in my opinion.

A-man

That is what I mean by context. Regarding the position debate, you would compare goalkeepers against goalkeepers etc, there is little point in comparing a CF with a GK in any football debate.

Whoscored's model is attacker-centric but perhaps that is logical given that attacking players are the most highly valued in football.

I'm not sure that 'common sense' and 'football knowledge' does give you a better chance of interpretation, given the bias that people, especially partisan fan, are subject too.

Football clubs and all sports teams/athletes take statistics very seriously and invest in them accordingly. That is telling.
Don’t get me wrong; I put high value in statistics as that is invaluable to me in my work. However there is a lot of misuse. One of them is evaluating single players in single games as the large variation makes that useless. If you are interested in statistics you might be aware of Deming’s red bead experiment. Otherwise you should try to find it. That illustrates the danger in evaluating performance from statistics from a single event.

This model is far from bullet proof. I agree, De Bruyne might be the best player in PL, but is really Ashley Young top ten? He’s been great, but...? And I agree that it is very attacker-centric, which is one of the biggest flaws. I think that is because you only measure things that you can measure fairly objectively, and goals, passes etc are simple to measure. It is more difficult to measure movements on the pitch and leadership quality.

If De Bruyne gets a high rating on there I’m not sceptical as he is one of the best players in the world this season. I can’t see any reason to be sceptical.
I think the point is exactly that. You are not sceptical because the stats are in line with the stats, while we who actually saw the match would not value him that high.

Anyways, great to see another solid performance from Lindelöf tonight.

Classical Mechanic

Don’t get me wrong; I put high value in statistics as that is invaluable to me in my work. However there is a lot of misuse. One of them is evaluating single players in single games as the large variation makes that useless. If you are interested in statistics you might be aware of Deming’s red bead experiment. Otherwise you should try to find it. That illustrates the danger in evaluating performance from statistics from a single event.

This model is far from bullet proof. I agree, De Bruyne might be the best player in PL, but is really Ashley Young top ten? He’s been great, but...? And I agree that it is very attacker-centric, which is one of the biggest flaws. I think that is because you only measure things that you can measure fairly objectively, and goals, passes etc are simple to measure. It is more difficult to measure movements on the pitch and leadership quality.

I think the point is exactly that. You are not sceptical because the stats are in line with the stats, while we who actually saw the match would not value him that high.

Anyways, great to see another solid performance from Lindelöf tonight.
I agree broadly. A Young has been fantastic this season in the second best team in the league. His inclusion in the top ten isn’t that strange. Perhaps you are experiencing some bias against an unfashionable name?

I take your point on De Bruyne, although my point was that over a course of a a number of games the ratings are decent, despite only measuring on the ball actions. It is attacker centric but if you look at the ratings for DM against other DMs, for example, then you tend to get results you would expect, with some outliers of course. The raw list of scores is attacker dominated though.

I think I misunderstood his metaphor a little. I understood it as meaning little regard rather than a healthy scepticism, although I prefer to look at it as context.

@Gusjaros sorry about that.

Lindelof did well I agree. Good to see him being more adventurous with the ball.

Last edited:

Lentwood

I couldnt work out whether he misdirected a few attempted passes to Lukaku or whether he laid a few really clever disguised passes into the player occupying the ten position!

Either way, he defended well again. I have hope now but still think he is a way off.

Ashley R1+O

Another excellent showing, really growing to like his reading of defensive play. Getting a feel for it and he's grown as a result.

cyberman

I think he'll have a fantastic game on Sunday almost by default since Aguero seems to be struggling for a while now.
Outside bet for MOTM

SirAF

Ageist
I still chuckle at how people could write him off after two bleedin' months! (Probably even less)

Like Mourinho told The Times when he summarized the summer signings:

‘Lindelof was the only one that I didn’t work with [before].

‘But in Portugal I control. I control inside information. ‘I know the qualities of the people, I know many things about social life, about private life, I know because even without working for that, the informations are arriving.’

A-man

I was really looking forward to see Lindelöf against some world class attackers... Now I just hope Smalling and Rojo can keep calm and not lose their heads in the penalty box.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Feel very much he and Bailly would be our best pairing. His distribution is top class.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Needs to be our first choice center back. Looks class.

kundalini

With the exception of one very poor pass, he performed well. One of the few players who wanted to play the ball forwards.

criticalanalysis

Play him and drop Smalling. I don't care if he loses headers, he can build from the back and we desperately need that.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
Great signing. Lindelof looked so comfortable against City in a high pressure game. Really good to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.