Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

POF

He wasn't great but he wasn't nutmegged by a bang average winger and didn't handle the ball in the box under no pressure so it's a thumbs up from me!

NinjaFletch

I dunno, I thought he did well in the first half (though his lack of pace was telling) but we hardly looked assured/comfortable at the back in the first half.
Through a combination of De Gea and Maguire, I'd argue. The bombscares of the first 10 minutes of the second half were worse, for me.

SmallCaine

2nd most hated player after martial, did absolutely nothing wrong but somehow wasn't good enough because the 80mn signing next to him screwed up again.

Reactions: van der star

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Our best defender. Does everything right and also covers Maguire when we attack. And his reading of the game is excellent.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
2nd most hated player after martial, did absolutely nothing wrong but somehow wasn't good enough because the 80mn signing next to him screwed up again.
Best part from match thread. After they scored (so after Harry's sunday league reaction) he was left on wide space with King i think. He wasn't outpaced or pushed by King, stayed on his feet and then blocked King's shot.
Comments: "We need to replace Lindelof. He is weak. He is slow. He is shit"

A-man

He had a busy first half where most attacks came around and behind him, but he did well. It looks to me that he has been told to move forward more. He moved high up several times and played through to the attacking players. When we scored the second he seemed to stay more.
Found this regarding the injury:
"He (Lindelof) struggled with his back but hopefully won't be too bad," Solskjaer told BT Sport.

Foxbatt

He is not a bad player and certainly better and more reliable than Bailly but I still would want an upgrade on him to a CB who has a lot of pace and more stronger than him. Maguire, normally is a much better player than Lindelof though he was poor today. None of them can trust the other not to be beaten for pace against most forwards so the confidence issue is there too.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He is not a bad player and certainly better and more reliable than Bailly but I still would want an upgrade on him to a CB who has a lot of pace and more stronger than him. Maguire, normally is a much better player than Lindelof though he was poor today. None of them can trust the other not to be beaten for pace against most forwards so the confidence issue is there too.
Most forwards? When he was beaten by any forward? Outpaced?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Best part from match thread. After they scored (so after Harry's sunday league reaction) he was left on wide space with King i think. He wasn't outpaced or pushed by King, stayed on his feet and then blocked King's shot.
Comments: "We need to replace Lindelof. He is weak. He is slow. He is shit"
There were two moments that a defender with decent speed would have gotten to the ball first and cleared the ball (or even gotten us back on the attack), but with Lindelof the attacker got to the ball first both times. Neither ultimately cost us this time, but it's just something that is a bit annoying and it is dangerous. I think the second time was what you were talking about.

A lot of people go overboard with Lindelof criticism but there is definite room for improvement. It might be a little harsh on Lindelof that he is the one people want to improve since I don't think there has been much between him and Maguire this season overall, but Maguire does have the larger upside. His good games are better than Lindelof's and he is the captain.

gajender

Our best defender. Does everything right and also covers Maguire when we attack. And his reading of the game is excellent.
Slightly controversial but he isn't worse than Maguire that I can agree upon , Lindelof has improved a lot most posters tend to exaggerate his flaws . Everyone saying we need to pair Maguire along with quicker partner for better defence does have a point but that also applies to Lindelof as well and it's not that far fetched when we do get that quicker commanding CB Lindelof may very well established himself as first choice alongside him.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I feel like he quietly gets on with it. Problem is you can tell he’s not hugely confident and sometimes he’s not strong enough.

There’s a really good player in there I reckon, and I’m happy to carry on and see if we can unleash it.

A-man

There were two moments that a defender with decent speed would have gotten to the ball first and cleared the ball (or even gotten us back on the attack), but with Lindelof the attacker got to the ball first both times. Neither ultimately cost us this time, but it's just something that is a bit annoying and it is dangerous. I think the second time was what you were talking about.

A lot of people go overboard with Lindelof criticism but there is definite room for improvement. It might be a little harsh on Lindelof that he is the one people want to improve since I don't think there has been much between him and Maguire this season overall, but Maguire does have the larger upside. His good games are better than Lindelof's and he is the captain.
I think it is his way of defending that make people dislike him. As you wrote, he often let the opponent take the ball instead of getting in to a duel. Then he covers himso the rest of the defence can recover their positions and forces the opponent to pass sideways or backwards.Downside with that type of defending is that we miss 2-3 opportunities to win back possession, positive is that it is very safe.

Raven

He's a much better player than he's given credit for, he's been far more reliable than captain fantastic lately as well.

Revan

Assumptionman
Agree. But he is not captain fantastic, so he doesn't have the defense shield Maguire has, neither his errors are blamed on other people.

I mean, for the first goal, people blamed De Gea, AWB and Lindelof. A bit surprised how Greenwood, Martial and Rashford were not blamed for it too.

Maguire? Nah. He just got nutmegged but that apparently does not count a mistake nowadays. Unless it would have happened to Lindelof, in which case he would have been shit and need replacing.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Victor Lindelof is by the best PL defender in "beaten by" stat. 2 times this season.

Who knows what will happen when he will play against "best forwards" in league. Only 33 games were played so far. I guess all best forwards didn't play in all those games.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Another Caf scapegoat. Maguire screws up, he gets the blame, he's the one that needs replacing etc. In Lindelof, Pogba, Martial and Shaw lies the scapegoats of these boards. People would shamelessly blame them for anything.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
If only Lindelof was English then every one would have been thinking on what he needs next to him. He is probably our most consistent defender and rarely make mistake but somehow he is the weak link.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Since the restart he's been our best CB and hardly put a foot wrong yet him and Shaw are the most criticized despite both being solid. We've conceded 3 goals since the restart and he's had no hand in any of them but that doesn't stop people with agendas to flood this thread and talk nonsense.

Revan

Assumptionman
If only Lindelof was English then every one would have been thinking on what he needs next to him. He is probably our most consistent defender and rarely make mistake but somehow he is the weak link.
Well, he would have needed to cost twice as much and also be a 'leader' whatever it means. Probably it means being very average, like the previous 2 leaders we had as captains.

ReddBalls

Defenders rarely reach their prime until they are 27-28. Lindelöf is 25 (soon to be 26). Horribly underrated on here, maybe because he is not tackling a lot. Still, his positional play is great, he is good at recovering when Slabhead fecks up, and he is also great at forcing attackers to go "the wrong way". United rarely concede dangerous shots from the opposition.

ReddBalls

Since the restart he's been our best CB and hardly put a foot wrong yet him and Shaw are the most criticized despite both being solid. We've conceded 3 goals since the restart and he's had no hand in any of them but that doesn't stop people with agendas to flood this thread and talk nonsense.
Just like Matic and Fred. People on here were still bashing them long after they had started to perform. Makes you think people just go by what they've heard others say.

Revan

Assumptionman
Victor Lindelof is by the best PL defender in "beaten by" stat. 2 times this season.

Who knows what will happen when he will play against "best forwards" in league. Only 33 games were played so far. I guess all best forwards didn't play in all those games.
I believe until January he was not dribbled at all, and in total has been dribbled twice during the entire season. While captain fantastic has been dribbled twice in the last 4 matches, resulting in 2 goals. And it wasn't just normal dribbles, it was the stuff that if it happens when playing with friends, you get laughed to death for the remaining of the day.

pratyush_utd

Well, he would have needed to cost twice as much and also be a 'leader' whatever it means. Probably it means being very average, like the previous 2 leaders we had as captains.
This is how press creates perception. I don't even remember any mistake that Lindelof made while Maguire mistakes have cost us 2 goals already since restart. But somehow the narrative is, Maguire need better partner as Maguire has been flawless while being letdown by his partners.

Revan

Assumptionman
This is how press creates perception. I don't even remember any mistake that Lindelof made while Maguire mistakes have cost us 2 goals already since restart. But somehow the narrative is, Maguire need better partner as Maguire has been flawless while being letdown by his partners.
Indeed. It also did not help that Ole was determined to sign at all costs players within the league. When in truth, the best signings we had since SAF left came from other leagues.

So, Leicester exploited the situation to their advantage, getting 80m pounds for a bang average player (and not getting even weakened in return). English media overrating and overhyping English players is nothing new, but spending this entire fortune in Maguire is totally in Ole.

Classical Mechanic

Maguire is charged with engaging the oppositions most dangerous players and physically dominating them. Lindelof is the covering defender. He makes far less ‘errors’ due the inherent passivity of his role. The problem is that he's too slow and meek to cover the space that’s left open.

Revan

Assumptionman
Maguire is charged with engaging the oppositions most dangerous players and physically dominating them. Lindelof is the covering defender. He makes far less ‘errors’ due the inherent passivity of his role. The problem is that he's too slow and meek to cover the space that’s left open.
Why then he has been dribbled only twice this entire season? Is it cause the attackers had mercy?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Lindelof is just a better one on one defender and actually much better positionally too

Rish Sawhney

Indeed. It also did not help that Ole was determined to sign at all costs players within the league. When in truth, the best signings we had since SAF left came from other leagues.

So, Leicester exploited the situation to their advantage, getting 80m pounds for a bang average player (and not getting even weakened in return). English media overrating and overhyping English players is nothing new, but spending this entire fortune in Maguire is totally in Ole.
The problem was that Maguire was the absolute best we could have gotten last window as a CB who'd instantly slot into the team and be expected to play every game. Most other CB's from other leagues would have needed time to adapt. Also I think you're underrating Maguire quite a bit. His lack of pace is definitely an issue like when he gets dragged out of position it leaves a massive hole, but he's also very good at certain things I haven't seen in a Man United defender since Rio in his prime. He's an absolute dominant header and is really composed on the ball most of the time and very press resistant as well. Sometimes goals happen because the other team is also there to play. If anything I would have blamed AWB for the first goal since he just sat down and refused to get up. I genuinely thought he was injured or something.

pratyush_utd

Yeah getting nutmegged in 6 yard box and getting beaten for pace by 2 average wingers is "charged with engaging opponent dangerous players".

Infact Lindelof is better one on one defender. It seems like opposition is dumb and they don't see that Lindelof is weakest link and they don't attack him and just go after Maguire.

Revan

Assumptionman
Come on now Revan, if a defender drops off how are they going to get dribbled?
By nutmegging them I guess.

But in all serious, this is ridiculous. He still has to cover that part of the pitch, so why he is not getting consistently dribbled as Maguire does?

Man-United

Very confident with him in one on one situations. Been really good since the start last month.

Status
Not open for further replies.