Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojan11

Maybe I'm biased against him but I think he is absolutely terrible. He is so passive and dithering. 2nd goal is on him. Poor header when he should have left it to Maguire. Granted Maguire may not have given him a shout...

Whether Maguire is good enough is a valid question but Lindelof is clearly not good enough.
2nd goal with Vidic around would be a counter attack started for us. Any normal defender would clear it away. He just heads it across the goal for them to put in another dangerous cross in.

Ace of Spades

Should have done better for the second goal, but was probably the least worst of the defense.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
He has vertebrae made out of the mash you get at IKEA.

Imagine being an average athlete THEN having a big back injury. Your local pub team would bench him

NinjaFletch

His little sad puppy ‘oh no we’ve conceded again’ eyes are about the only thing that annoy me more than De Gea looking like he’s going to cry every time he fecks up.

criticalanalysis

Best summary of his performance, cutting out the hyperbole of most reactive posts here.
'Least worst', whilst offering nothing oustanding like the other 3 have or have shown (AWB 1vs1 tackling, Maguire aerial and Shaw all around high ability).

'Least worst' by not making obvious mistakes but a net liability because his actual ability to affect the game is solidly much below his peers.

It's not whether he is the 'least worst', it's the fact he is the weakest link in reality.

Gotta love the passing angles he gave his team mates today. When the 1st ball goes to him from De Gea/Maguire, because he's so deep and away from any action, he's in acres of space. As soon as a player goes into his vicinity he will play a low-risk percentage ball into someone's else feet, who actually has someone bearing in on them. Then he will stand there and offer the worst passing angle, which means the player with the ball doesn't have a legitmate return passing option and has to then take all the risk to try to move it forward or lump it.

That's Lindelof in a nutshell. He's fantastic as positioning himself in a low pressure situation, safely pass the responsibility to someone else and then removing himself from the equation completely :lol:.

Invisibility cloak.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Shaw and Bissaka had one assist each. Maguire was progressive on the ball on that left side. This guy's signature move is putting us under huge amounts of pressure on purpose by wanting to pass the ball in areas where we'll lose the ball. We should be keeping the ball up field. We recycle the ball back to our defence but Lindelof panic time after time and creates marginal situations everywhere so we concede pressure at the worst times possible every game. He is a horrible ball-playing CB as he suck at assessing danger and reading his team mates and the game. He seems delusional and it doesn't look like he gets that some of the things he is doing all the time is terrible things. Shocking lack of self awareness, and it's the most disturbing thing to me that he doesn't know when he makes a mistake so they keep happening and he has no clue of how to stop it.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I've mentioned his name a few times the past few weeks but Jonny Evans would be an improvement on this guy.

Bojan11

His signature move is giving the opponents encouragement when they not in the game because they then realise oh shit Lindelof is playing. Just like in first half, when he could kick the ball out for a throw in, but makes a mess of it and Richarlison lets him off the hook.

But apparently he was the least worst. They all were equally shit.

mav_9me

I always preface my posts with maybe I am biased against Lindelof but I genuinely worry that its clouding my judgement.

But in that run of few games with Bailly and Maguire werent we more defensively sound? Was that my biased perception? I guess I have to check and see.

mav_9me

I always preface my posts with maybe I am biased against Lindelof but I genuinely worry that its clouding my judgement.

But in that run of few games with Bailly and Maguire werent we more defensively sound? Was that my biased perception? I guess I have to check and see.
So I checked. Bailly started getting regular game time on 12/23 against Everton. There's been 14 games since then.

In 7 with Bailly W6 and D1, 4 clean sheets. GF 11 GA 4

In 6 with Lindelof 2W 3D and 1L, 3 clean sheets. GF 16 GA 9.

Caveats are lindelof played the 9-0 game, skewing things, at the same time he played against City, Liverpool x2, arsenal.

Despite that I feel clean sheets for Bailly against Everton, Wolves and only 1 goal conceded against Villa point to his stronger performance.

Either way we have to improve upon Lindelof.

Last edited:

A-man

'Least worst', whilst offering nothing oustanding like the other 3 have or have shown (AWB 1vs1 tackling, Maguire aerial and Shaw all around high ability).
Lindelof won most aerials in United, had most clearances and second most tackles. Wasn’t a good game, but no need to make stuff.

A-man

I thought he was quite good for most of the game, but was weak for the second goal and perhaps (perhaps not?) could have been more in the midst of defending the freekick that they scored from at the end of the match.
First half was good, won back the ball many times and was good with the ball. Second was worse but overall was ok.

So I checked. Bailly started getting regular game time on 12/23 against Everton. There's been 14 games since then.

In 7 with Bailly W6 and D1, 4 clean sheets. GF 11 GA 4

In 6 with Lindelof 2W 3D and 1L, 2 clean sheets. GF 16 GA 9.

Caveats are lindelof played the 9-0 game, skewing things, at the same time he played against City, Liverpool x2, arsenal.

Despite that I feel clean sheets for Bailly against Everton, Wolves and only 1 goal conceded against Villa point to his stronger performance.

Either way we have to improve upon Lindelof.
This was not his best game but before that I would say Lindelof has played very well his last matches. And it’s actually 3 clean sheets in his last 6 matches (clean sheets vs Liverpool, Arsenal, Southampton).

Last edited:

criticalanalysis

Lindelof won most aerials in United, had most clearances and second most tackles. Wasn’t a good game, but no need to make stuff.
Read my post again. What does he do that is oustanding and actually a net positive? Not being a calamity or positioning himself well to make standard defensive plays is not a great compliment.

Maguire was shocking for the third goal but you can count the number of times where he has been a defensive stalwart many times this season and has been dominant regardless of whoever he's parterned with. You can count on one hand where Lindelof has actually been outstanding this season. And by outstanding, I don't mean flashy tackles etc. When has Lindelof delivered the Maguire/AWB/Shaw equivalent of a centre back performance? What qualities does he have, which he has shown consistently that makes you think 'yes Lindelof is top level at doing that'?

He's a basic level player doing basic level things well, which is fine when the game situations are simple. Like a header lumped in from high that he is always going to be favourite to win.

Or how about when he has to pass the ball in a middle-level pressure situation where he doesn't have the comfort of passing the ball to AWB 5 yards away? Like the situation in the first half where he completely shat his pants and fumbled that ball, which nearly lead to a goal?

Him making standard clearances and tackles is like complimenting McTomminay for being a safe passer in midfield, when the reality is that we need more from him if we want to dictate the play against teams and not rely on your Pogbas/Fred etc. The difference is that we all acknowledge McTomminay has other outstanding qualities, which he brings to the team so we can let his lack of metronome passing slide because he has potential and other clear abilities. Lindelof has no other redeeming ability or feature to let basic defensive plays and rudimentary passing slide. Lindelof being 'he wasn't that bad, 5/10, 6/10, cleared up a lot of balls and headers' playing behind two DMs is not something to shout about.

Shaw and Bissaka had one assist each. Maguire was progressive on the ball on that left side. This guy's signature move is putting us under huge amounts of pressure on purpose by wanting to pass the ball in areas where we'll lose the ball. We should be keeping the ball up field. We recycle the ball back to our defence but Lindelof panic time after time and creates marginal situations everywhere so we concede pressure at the worst times possible every game. He is a horrible ball-playing CB as he suck at assessing danger and reading his team mates and the game. He seems delusional and it doesn't look like he gets that some of the things he is doing all the time is terrible things. Shocking lack of self awareness, and it's the most disturbing thing to me that he doesn't know when he makes a mistake so they keep happening and he has no clue of how to stop it.
Glad someone else spotted this. Your post is basically the same things I pointed out and what I said directly above yours.

He plays passes like in a rondo, which is great because we should be making more triangles and passing plays. Yet once he makes his first pass, he's goes completely out of the picture by positioning himself out of any return pass. Takes no responsibility.

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He’s a divisive character but the reality is we’ve not got close to winning a trophy since he became our starting CB. I don’t think I’ll ever be convinced he’s a United CB, simply not good enough.

A-man

Read my post again. What does he do that is oustanding and actually a net positive? Not being a calamity or positioning himself well to make standard defensive plays is not a great compliment.

Maguire was shocking for the third goal but you can count the number of times where he has been a defensive stalwart many times this season and has been dominant regardless of whoever he's parterned with. You can count on one hand where Lindelof has actually been outstanding this season. And by outstanding, I don't mean flashy tackles etc. When has Lindelof delivered the Maguire/AWB/Shaw equivalent of a centre back performance? What qualities does he have, which he has shown consistently that makes you think 'yes Lindelof is top level at doing that'?

He's a basic level player doing basic level things well, which is fine when the game situations are simple. Like a header lumped in from high that he is always going to be favourite to win.

Or how about when he has to pass the ball in a middle-level pressure situation where he doesn't have the comfort of passing the ball to AWB 5 yards away? Like the situation in the first half where he completely shat his pants and fumbled that ball, which nearly lead to a goal?

Him making standard clearances and tackles is like complimenting McTomminay for being a safe passer in midfield, when the reality is that we need more from him if we want to dictate the play against teams and not rely on your Pogbas/Fred etc. The difference is that we all acknowledge McTomminay has other outstanding qualities, which he brings to the team so we can let his lack of metronome passing slide because he has potential and other clear abilities. Lindelof has no other redeeming ability or feature to let basic defensive plays and rudimentary passing slide. Lindelof being 'he wasn't that bad, 5/10, 6/10, cleared up a lot of balls and headers' playing behind two DMs is not something to shout about.
Why do you think Lindelof has been getting so high ratings in the newspapers lately? If you want an overall measure that is not flashy tackles go read some.

Wasn’t the worst of our defence but another game he plays, another game we concede.
It’s a weird comment. Before this match, he just had three PL matches in row with clean sheets. Or what do you mean?

Ekeke

Covering for AWB on the first goal, no problem there thats all Maguire, DDG's poor touch and possibly Shaw not getting there before the attacker

2nd goal Maguire tells him to push out before the ball is played into James. He doesnt and he and Maguire are both late to pressure James, way too much room in the box to slot it home

3rd is Maguire playing Calvert-Lewin onside again

A-man

Just like in first half, when he could kick the ball out for a throw in, but makes a mess of it and Richarlison lets him off the hook.
Looking back, he should obviously have cleared that ball instead of keeping it. But tbh that outcome is a little bit the price we have to pay for having a defence that always try play their way out. In that situation you could even hear the bench(?) yell “Keep it Victor, keep it”. That’s what they do. He had 2-3 other similar situations where he played his way out. Our defence almost never clear the ball in those situations and it’s probably a risk calculation that we benefit from it.

Last edited:
Covering for AWB on the first goal, no problem there thats all Maguire, DDG's poor touch and possibly Shaw not getting there before the attacker

2nd goal Maguire tells him to push out before the ball is played into James. He doesnt and he and Maguire are both late to pressure James, way too much room in the box to slot it home

3rd is Maguire playing Calvert-Lewin onside again
1st is DDG. Utterly awful, Maguire follows the run, cuts the angle and it’s a simple stop for DDG.

2nd, only Maguire and Lindelöf truly know but Lindelöfs horrific typical soft as feck header created the situation.

3rd is Maguire dropping too deep and weak as feck DDG.

Lindelöf extremely lucky Everton utterly fecked up the ridiculous opportunity he gifted to them in the first half, my God.

Does absolutely nothing “great” such as AWB tackling or Maguire aerial, is passive as feck and a massive reason we look a chocolate teapot at the back when put under pressure.

The CB pairing and GK had a fecking awful night.

Last edited:
Looking back, he should obviously have cleared that ball instead of keeping it. But tbh that he outcome is a little bit the price we have to pay for having a defence that always try play their way out. In that situation you could even hear the bench(?) yell “Keep it Victor, keep it”. That’s what they do. He had 2-3 other similar situations where he played his way out. Our defence almost never clear the ball in those situations and it’s probably a risk calculation that we benefit from it.
The pass back was the original keep it option, once he dithered it’s all on him, you keep it or you smash it out of play if you can’t.
Terrible.

Ekeke

Looking back, he should obviously have cleared that ball instead of keeping it. But tbh that outcome is a little bit the price we have to pay for having a defence that always try play their way out. In that situation you could even hear the bench(?) yell “Keep it Victor, keep it”. That’s what they do. He had 2-3 other similar situations where he played his way out. Our defence almost never clear the ball in those situations and it’s probably a risk calculation that we benefit from it.
Our defensive record would suggest we're doing things wrong and this would be one of them. No problem with him looking for a pass and not finding one, turning away, at that point you clear your lines otherwise exactly what happened happens. Theres no excusing it. You can always go for a longer pass where if you lose the ball its not in a dangerous area, or at worst conceed that risking giving the ball away there is stupidity so put it out for a throw

A-man

Our defensive record would suggest we're doing things wrong and this would be one of them. No problem with him looking for a pass and not finding one, turning away, at that point you clear your lines otherwise exactly what happened happens. Theres no excusing it. You can always go for a longer pass where if you lose the ball its not in a dangerous area, or at worst conceed that risking giving the ball away there is stupidity so put it out for a throw
I agree he should have cleared it. It was poor decision making. Even if the goal is to always play our way out, there is a limit when the risk is too high and this was one of them. I can’t recall any goals conceded because of a defender losing the ball like this, but there are probably one or two. At least if we include loss of possession from midfielders in defensive positions. But I wouldn’t say it has been an issue really. Overall we haven’t conceded many goals at all in open play. The many goals conceded are from setpieces. Also 11 goals were conceded in the three first matches when everything seemed to be a mess.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
If we're stuck with Maguire, Lindelof is not the answer.

I think he'd be great at a team like Barca or even City, where there's very little defending to do as he does read the game well, and can pass progressively.

But, he's not fast, he's not strong and he's not great in the air. In the Prem thats not a recipe for success.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
If we're stuck with Maguire, Lindelof is not the answer.

I think he'd be great at a team like Barca or even City, where there's very little defending to do as he does read the game well, and can pass progressively.

But, he's not fast, he's not strong and he's not great in the air. In the Prem thats not a recipe for success.
No he wouldn't, people should stop saying that, he is very slow and very weak one on one and wouldn't be able to play highline against skillfull and quick forwards. When playing highline you need to be proactive and not passive like him, he is incredibly passive defender who needs very good defender next to him to clear for him.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
One of him or Maguire can stay, but not both. Unfortunately for Victor, he didn’t cost 80m and nor is he the captain.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Why do you think Lindelof has been getting so high ratings in the newspapers lately? If you want an overall measure that is not flashy tackles go read some.

It’s a weird comment. Before this match, he just had three PL matches in row with clean sheets. Or what do you mean?
In fairness Southampton did score

mav_9me

I don’t particularly rate either of them tbh. I’d probably lean towards keeping Maguire though.
Don't disagree. I was pointing out that at least Maguire is a good header of the ball. I rate lindelof much worse than Maguire irrespective of price tag.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Don't disagree. I was pointing out that at least Maguire is a good header of the ball. I rate lindelof much worse than Maguire irrespective of price tag.
Maguire has a higher ceiling, and has his uses in the opposition box once or twice a year I agree. But he just makes so many mistakes, and he’s 27 - he should be aware of how to defend their third goal, and not retreating back to his own goal. He’s massive, just head it into next week if you want.

izec

Want him and De Gea gone. Can't stand the sight of them. Nice guys, but i dont want to see them play for us anymore. Always the same BS from them, just not good and brave enough

Status
Not open for further replies.