Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eugenius

I don't rate him, but I have nothing against him now that he's a squad option and hopefully not playing 40-50 games a season.

I was watching a video of our comebacks last season, and one thing that did stick out was how many of the goals conceded were from some soft defending from him in games were largely on top in (Spurs and Villa away for example).

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I don't rate him, but I have nothing against him now that he's a squad option and hopefully not playing 40-50 games a season.

I was watching a video of our comebacks last season, and one thing that did stick out was how many of the goals conceded were from some soft defending from him in games were largely on top in (Spurs and Villa away for example).
And we can’t keep assuming comebacks to bail mistakes out. We cut down the mistakes by shifting the most prone out

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I’m more

Yeah I posted it in this thread a few pages back, it's really quite alarming - you can't build a title challenging team around a defender like that.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Lindelof played through injury and as we saw with Rashford, that has an impact on performance. Now that he has recovered, if he gets rotated with Maguire/Varane, I am sure he will be much better player. Happy to have him in the squad.
He's been injured for 4 years?

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Where are you getting this 20 games stuff from, that has to be pure nonsense? Bullied every second game, he undoubtedly loses some physical duels but every other game, really? Leaking goal after goal despite a reasonably decent defensive record?

Not everything is so black and white as you are making out. This is pure hyperbole, not statements that stand up to any kind of scrutiny. It weakens your point rather than strengthens it.
It is indeed a little hyperbole because he didn't cost us every second game but he definitely made 1 costly mistake every other game. There were games where he was thrashed to pieces, including final against Villa real, the season before against Sevilla so that adds up and indeed can result in such ratio. Just because people don't remember countless lost headers, ground duels and many, many passive plays by him because he didn't want to make a mistake which then resulted in a opposition team chance or us being put under needless pressure, doesn't mean he's okay defender. He's horrible but that's hard to explain here on a footy forum where not even 1/10 of people played competitive football and can't see those mistakes, only those when we concede goals after, which is a shame because there are so many in between.

Also quite clearly many people here don't remember the highest of standards United aspired before, even with a third choice CBs. Lindelof will be our 3rd choice now but looking at how much Leicester got Vesteergard for who is twice a player, we should definitely look to offload him when his value is relatively high and some people (no wonder caf included) rate him. And again, quite obviously it's too late this season but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the rumours that we were after two CBs not jus 1 were true. YOu can also see many experts quite clearly see him as a massive weakness, and what shifting him back in the pecking order to third spot should make us happy? Imagine one of Varane or Maguire gets injured then Lindelof who cant head cant defend and is average on the ball, comes in and we can forget about any title chances and any cup trophies. where indeed he cost us the most. And please don't get me started about his weak mentality..

Also what is a reasonably decent defensive record? How on earth is 44 goals in the prem (5th best) reasonable record? with playing mostly a defensive double pivot, we will see that this year when we don't leak easy goals for fun. But let Varane bed in, I guess he will not need 130+ games like Lindelof to still look dodgy. Imagine you have such defender and he still looks not good enough after given this much of incredible game time to prove, for a team that aspire to be the best in the world. Standards dropped incredibly low.

Halftrack

It is indeed a little hyperbole because he didn't cost us every second game but he definitely made 1 costly mistake every other game.
Those are just two ways of saying exactly the same thing. If he makes a costly mistake every other game, he has cost us every second game.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Brilliant performance. That pass was special, his defending was very good too.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
It was like Veron to Forlan vs Chelsea back in a day.

Ole will definitely let him play a lot this season.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Tell you what, he’s got a banging long pass on him. 3rd assist of that kind for him.

jesperjaap

I agree, never been a fan, total opposite. I do however think the last 3/4months of last season were hi sbest where he was decent and he continued that today with a solid performance. I like him as a squad player, dont like him as a started throughout a season

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Some of the narrative around Lindelof over the summer was braindead, with his name and style of play being used as a shorthand for "bad defender".

He's very good. Not good enough to be a first choice starter for us but still better than the vast majority of CBs in Europe's top leagues. Will be great to have someone of that standard as our sub CB when everyone is fit.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Fair play to the guy - probably one of his best displays today.

Very happy to have him as a squad player this season.

Eurotrash

Hit about 8 really good long passes during the game, including the assist. This is a good weapon that we underused last season.

Very good game from Victor.

RedIan

Yes stepped up today, his position is under threat and he responded with a really solid performance.. 8/10

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
He's going to have it tough isn't he.. Could've scored 2 overhead kicks today and still some would be desperate to see Varane instead of him.

simmee

40 posts from @golden_blunder when Lindelof didn't play any matches but now he's suddenly quiet. Miss his brilliant analysis. Maybe crying with the Leeds fans?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Competition can only do something good to him. It's not like we will only play 2 CBs combination over the course of season.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Champions League Varane watching that 60 yard ping like “Damn okay”

Halftrack

Very good game from him today. Will most likely still be 3rd choice, but if Varane's presence improves him, we'll have a luxury problem on our hands.
What. A. Pass.

Load of absolute weapons comparing Ben Smith’s shambles last night to a standard Lindelof performance. My arse.
You know how some players seemingly get better and better the longer they're out/no football is on? Lindelöf the opposite, where he seemingly just gets worse and worse.
He's going to have it tough isn't he.. Could've scored 2 overhead kicks today and still some would be desperate to see Varane instead of him.
Don't really blame people for being excited at the prospect of Varane starting next to Maguire, but I find the way some are excited at the prospect of never seeing him play for us again a bit sad.

Zlatans Knee

He was the best central defender on the pitch today. What is great is that we now have more than 2 players who can play well in central defence. It means that we are not screwed if Harry gets injured.

Marwood

I thought he looked a bit heavy footed but what an assist. As good as Pogba's second.

Halftrack

He was the best central defender on the pitch today. What is great is that we now have more than 2 players who can play well in central defence. It means that we are not screwed if Harry gets injured.
Would be pretty funny if it turned out our best pairing is Lindelöf-Varane.

vanderstar

Solid game from Victor. Better of the two cb:s Only thing i reacted on was when he was rescued by McT. You can't defend a cross behind the forward.

Think we have three solid cb:s now. If Varane can lift Maguire to the level he was at at the euros opposition will find it ner to imposible to score against us.

prateik

Poor Varane.. starting for Madrid to the United bench..

at least he'll get to see Lindelof work his magic.

Sylar

He will play a part this season. Dont get me wrong, im so happy we got Varane, but theres been too much disrespect against him.
But that pass he did for the goal, he does that quite a lot for us. Its great to have that as an option when teams try to press us up high.

The Red Thinker

Man can pass beautifully. He was very solid today for the most part. But, I repeat... There will be days with a much bigger aerial battle and he will lose those. Days when it will be a speed and power battle like against bloody Lukaku and he will lose those too.

He is a very good option to come in and replace an injured Maguire or Varane. Integral squad player.

Andersons Dietician

Imperious today. Maguire had a good shaky 70 mins but Lindelof was covering everything. The pass for the goal was great but there were a few outstanding moments of defending.

Status
Not open for further replies.