Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

nakpodiareuben

One thing is sure. He is way ahead of Maguire in the pecking order. He is call the Iceman for a reason

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I'm definitely not a fan of Maguire and have always thought he was an extremely overrated player. Had he not been English, he would have been considerably cheaper when he was bought. A average player from England cost many times more than a non-British player. Having said that, I just want to point out that in many cases it is pure bullying against Maguire. Lindelöf has probably maintained the highest class in the back line this season, but it is the same against him in many cases. Personally, I think Lindelöf has been stable with some less good interventions but who is 100% flawless all the time? I think Lindelöf has shown that he holds Man Utd's class as the team in truth has not performed since Sir Alex's time.
100% flawless all the time? Never heard such guff

Strootman's Finger

How much has his career and reputation suffered by playing next to Maguire? Looks a totally different player next to a proper partner.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Bad ass defending from him today, Keep it up.

owlo

100% flawless all the time? Never heard such guff
Pretty sure he's just saying that nobody is 100% flawless all the time and he is a stable player.

I agree with you mostly on the proactiveness by the way, though I feel it's been a product of coaching and the team more than the player.

Last edited:

owlo

He was absolutely shite pre Maguire in fairness. Only as a bit part player this season has he ever played this well for us.
I think OGS and general chaos hurt him more than Maguire. You'd expect a central defender to start getting really good at 25-26 (If I recall this is when rio and vidic started to start kicking on) He moved at 22 under Mourinho, had 12 months under him and then it was all chaos.

jem

He was absolutely shite pre Maguire in fairness. Only as a bit part player this season has he ever played this well for us.
Not sure that’s entirely true - I remember Lindelof being quite good in his second season, the one where Ole took over for Mourinho.

jesperjaap

Never been a fan of Lindelof before we signed him let alone his career here. I disagree he has been stable either.

What I take from the recent performances is he seems to look much better than any other partner he has played alongside, they look a decent partnership.

Baybe it is just coincidence tying in with good form but he has been very poor pre Maguire as you mention, poor with Maguire, Varane and Martinez.

Do his recent performances justify keeping him if he is only good next to Shaw?

I think unless he requests a move for fear of lack of plaing time he stays, personally that is only as Maguire, Bailly, Jones and Tuanzabe simply have to go and that only leaves us with two centre backs if you exclude Shaw who will revert to left back again. He stays by default of the dross around him in the squad

MadMike

Second excellent performance on the trot. Him and Shaw are building a good partnership.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Never been a fan of Lindelof before we signed him let alone his career here. I disagree he has been stable either.

What I take from the recent performances is he seems to look much better than any other partner he has played alongside, they look a decent partnership.

Baybe it is just coincidence tying in with good form but he has been very poor pre Maguire as you mention, poor with Maguire, Varane and Martinez.

Do his recent performances justify keeping him if he is only good next to Shaw?

I think unless he requests a move for fear of lack of plaing time he stays, personally that is only as Maguire, Bailly, Jones and Tuanzabe simply have to go and that only leaves us with two centre backs if you exclude Shaw who will revert to left back again. He stays by default of the dross around him in the squad
That’s nonsense. He’s generally been very good alongside Martinez every time they played this season.

Has been paired up with Varane at all? I don’t think he has.

Donut

That clearance was Puyol-like. Really like Lindelof, he’s a proper pro. If he keeps this up he’ll have a case for a long term place next to Martinez.

criticalanalysis

In the space of a few games, 1) apparently his previous 200+ don't count 2) it's Maguire's fault he's played so passively and poor before and now 3) he's a better passer than Martinez.

Somebody next is going to tell us that Lindelof has always been a defensive beast with amazing passing skills. He just couldn't show it for 200+ games consistently because of some other totally explainable reasons.

The guy is playing the form of his life right now and it's great for us but come on now.

That’s nonsense. He’s generally been very good alongside Martinez every time they played this season.
Of late maybe but earlier in the year definitely not. He was out of all sorts in the Europa League games against very low level/poor opposition and then in his first real proper test against Villa game at their ground, he got done by a simple Watkins turn on the half way line, which lead to the first goal and then allowed him all the time in the world on the left channel to make an assist in the second half; it's almost the exact same scenario that happened today just before his excellent off the line clearance.

jesperjaap

Has been paired up with Varane at all? I don’t think he has.
TBH not sure about Varane but he has been poor to average the whole time he has been here bar the odd game. I dont get the reliabel or steady comments on Lindelof.

His tracking of runners is poor, he gets bullied often, he is poor on the ball and pickign a pass far too often...yet alongside Shaw the failings havent been so evident at all.

Like I said it may just be coincidence of form, but I could count on one hand the games I remember him playing better than he has done than the kast 2/3 alongside Shaw, and that because he has been very good alongside him he has barely ever been "very good" as you put it in a single game let alone consistently since he has been here.

Its quite obvious he has looked at his worst alongside Maguire and partnerships plays a big part with centre backs, so unlucky in that respect, but he was even worse before Maguire came (settlign in to be fair) and hasnt got above average alongside other players the vast vast majority of the time until recently.

Varane, Shaw, Martinez....there performances have shown just how poor our centre backs have been here for a long time as a partnership, not jsut Maguire or Lindelof but Bailly, JOnes, right back to Smalling and that is why so many want us to sign anotehr centre back this summer as its apparent tha Varane and/or Martinez could miss a fair amount of games over a season and what we have simply isnt good enough to rely on, Lindelof is a part of that and has been for years

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
In the space of a few games, 1) apparently his previous 200+ don't count 2) it's Maguire's fault he's played so passively and poor before and now 3) he's a better passer than Martinez.
Nobody said that.

Somebody next is going to tell us that Lindelof has always been a defensive beast with amazing passing skills. He just couldn't show it for 200+ games consistently because of some other totally explainable reasons
If you keep creating fictional praise for him, that’s definitely possible.

criticalanalysis

Nobody said that.

If you keep creating fictional praise for him, that’s definitely possible.
See below and the previous page for the follow up posts. Pretty much sums up some of the hyperbole and reimagining of his time here. All after 5 games.

If he played in a time that where better on the ball I would not be surprised to see him start over Varane. Probably our best defender on the ball. So composed.

Theonas

Scout
Defense is probably the most difficult position to judge in the modern game. They're extremely reliant on the system because most coaches nowadays play a very proactive system that exposes them one on one with full backs providing significantly less help to their CBs than they did 10 years ago. It's why someone like Van Dijk can look like the world's best and then shaky for Holland or Liverpool this season when the press and organisation around him is not the same. Or why Akanji and Aké can be relatively average but then be part of a potentially treble winning side. Romero can be a WC winner and still be part of the most hilarious defensive unit in the league.

I am generally anti making too many changes to personel unless necessary and because I think with Maguire, it's just almost untenable now, I feel Lindelöf should have a place in the squad. He is reliable as a backup and if we sign another young defender, him, Varane and Martinez should make as stable defensive personel as there is in the league.

Wayne's World

He's the most unlucky player to ever play for United, he gets dogs abuse from fans because he's playing beside one of the worst defenders in United history in Maguire. Even prime Maldini would look shit with Magure beside him

I hope he stays, he's definitely good enough to be a backup

SAF is the GOAT

Always said in Ole's tenure when him and Maguire played together that if the choice is between him or Bailly - I choose him all the way.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He's been good and was excellent today. He'll be retained.

kundalini

Defense is probably the most difficult position to judge in the modern game. They're extremely reliant on the system because most coaches nowadays play a very proactive system that exposes them one on one with full backs providing significantly less help to their CBs than they did 10 years ago. It's why someone like Van Dijk can look like the world's best and then shaky for Holland or Liverpool this season when the press and organisation around him is not the same. Or why Akanji and Aké can be relatively average but then be part of a potentially treble winning side. Romero can be a WC winner and still be part of the most hilarious defensive unit in the league.

I am generally anti making too many changes to personel unless necessary and because I think with Maguire, it's just almost untenable now, I feel Lindelöf should have a place in the squad. He is reliable as a backup and if we sign another young defender, him, Varane and Martinez should make as stable defensive personel as there is in the league.
Good post.

So much depends on the balance of the team in terms of height, strength and speed, whether they dominate possession to an extreme extent like Barcelona or City, whether they are prepared to use a high line and hope to catch opponents offside as has worked for Liverpool some seasons but not others.

Ten Hag's United team doesn't make sense to me. We have a keeper that wants to stay on his line, a team that lacks height, yet doesn't dominate possession or use a high line, several attacking players that have a tendency to make minimal effort defensively, players that give away free-kicks without much thought to whether we have a set-up to defend them.

Lindelof is fairly fast for a CB, rubbish in the air compared to most CBs, weak in physical duels, very good in possession. His skill-set suits a team that dominates possession, uses a high line and has a keeper that comes for crosses; that's not us, at least not this season.

Lisandro Martinez has received a lot of praise for his performances this season yet if you look at goals conceded in the PL, we have conceded just 3 in the 8 PL games Martinez didn't start and another 3 goals after he was substituted against Liverpool and Newcastle. So many of those defensive disasters in the PL (Brentford away, Man City away, Liverpool away, Arsenal away, Newcastle away, Villa away), Martinez started. With him missing we can keep Brighton from scoring in 120 mins in the FA Cup yet concede 3 at Sevilla and see Spurs score twice while wasting 2 huge chances in the 2nd half.

If Lindelof wants to leave, I'd let him go. If he wants to stay, I'd be happy to keep him. Changing how we play away is far more important, as is replacing De Gea with a keeper more suited to dominating possession.

Last edited:

Siviz

Supports
Swansea
Finished runner-up in voting for player of the year 2018/19, behind Luke Shaw. Pogba in third.

But yeah, sure; "absolutely shite pre Maguire in fairness." :houllier:

Bondi77

Finished runner-up in voting for player of the year 2018/19, behind Luke Shaw. Pogba in third.

I remember him being good at the back end of that season and thought he had adjusted to the pace of the game but he went backwards after that.

Bosws87

His ability and passing on the ball compared to maguire is night and day.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
I always think he’s a good player. Just that his heading needs improvement. How is his heading these days? Any stats?

quadrant

Been a great little boost to the squad the way he’s played. I'm still a bit wary about not replacing Maguire if he leaves, I think that leaves us a CB short. But I'm happy if Lindelöf is part of that squad. So much more comfortable on the ball than Maguire.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Happy with him. He still needs to produce top performances, especially in the next 2 games against Brighton and West Ham, but overall happy with what he brings to the team.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
See below and the previous page for the follow up posts. Pretty much sums up some of the hyperbole and reimagining of his time here. All after 5 games.
Five games? Lindelof has his faults. And I’m sure we will see them again in the run in. But his passing of the ball has always been really good.

Martinez best asset, and where Lindelof dont come close, is protecting and keeping the ball under pressure when he dont have a passing option. He is press ressistant.

But Lindelofs passing of the ball is at a really, really high level. If he had played in a possession team the past five years he would have been viewed very differently. And it is much more apparant under EtH.

Lyng

After Ten Hag joined Lindelöf has steadily gotten better and better, except when playing next to Maguire.
Its clear to anyone (at least anyone who isnt agenda driven) that he is thriving under Ten Hags style and was suffering under Oles.
His performance against Villa was as close to a 10 out of 10 you can get. Having him as a bench option is a genuine luxury and we would be foolish to sell him.

A-man

I always think he’s a good player. Just that his heading needs improvement. How is his heading these days? Any stats?
Statistically his aerials are quite good this season.
Aerials won per 90 min and success rate:
Aerials wonSuccess Rate
Maguire2.752%
Lindelof2.473%
Varane2.077%
Shaw1.659%
Martinez1.452%
This is from all minutes, also in other positions than CB.

feck me we finished 6th and got a manager sacked mid season :lol: it was one of those seasons you wished we didn’t have to give an award to anyone.
He’d been shite since his arrival but was one of the less shite players in the latter end of that shite season. And then he went downhill again.
So yeah, all in all since his arrival he’s been pretty ”shite” and if the best retort you’ve got is that a couple of teammates voted him in a dogshit season, that probably tells it’s own story.
Do you even know how many votes he got? I mean, maybe 3 close mates voted for him and 2 for Pogba with everyone else unanimously voting for Shaw.
Either way, he absolutely was shite pre Maguire, and post Maguire.
Like Maguire, he’s had periods of good form mind, most players who get to this level do, just look at Fred.
I don’t think he’s ever played this well though, so either something about our set-up is working much better for him, he’s coming into his prime, or, he suits being a bit part player.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
feck me we finished 6th and got a manager sacked mid season :lol: it was one of those seasons you wished we didn’t have to give an award to anyone.
He’d been shite since his arrival but was one of the less shite players in the latter end of that shite season. And then he went downhill again.
So yeah, all in all since his arrival he’s been pretty ”shite” and if the best retort you’ve got is that a couple of teammates voted him in a dogshit season, that probably tells it’s own story.
Do you even know how many votes he got? I mean, maybe 3 close mates voted for him and 2 for Pogba with everyone else unanimously voting for Shaw.
Like Maguire, he’s had periods of good form mind, most players who get to this level do, just look at Fred.
I don’t think he’s ever played this well though, so either something about our set-up is working much better for him, he’s coming into his prime, or, he suits being a bit part player.
Why are you doubling down? You’ve just been given objective evidence that what you said was wrong. All you need to did say “fair enough, my bad, he was obviously decent in at least one season before Maguire joined”

Which is exactly how I remember it too. He was impressive that season. Did well in central defence and also solid as a fullback when we needed him.

ManchesterMats

Fair point. That season the whole team was performing really bad. Lindelöf did put in some solid performances though which put him as one of the best performing players of the team for that season.

Going forward into next season I would like to see Martinez and Varane get another season as our first choice centrebacks. Lindelöf and Shaw is great backups and I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the other great clubs of Europe makes a move for Lindelöf in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.