Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

mu4c_20le

As it is said many times; he is different player without Maguire.
Motm today
He was terrible when we lost to Villa 3-1 earlier in the season when he was paired with Martinez. He's enjoying a good run of form at the moment.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Genuinely wanted to shag him after that goal line clearance

Adamsk7

He’s been great the last few games. Maguire genuinely makes everyone worse. That’s why I’m not too savage on De Gea because most of his calamity games have come with Maguire playing, same with Martinez at the start of the season.

I wanna see Lindelof/Shaw for the rest of the campaign now

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Should be our 3rd choice CB. Much better player than Maguire IMO. MOTM today and he's been generally solid for us this season.

arthurka

Probably the best he has been since he came. Harry out and other players thrive, well who would've thought.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Should be our 3rd choice CB. Much better player than Maguire IMO. MOTM today and he's been generally solid for us this season.
If he played in a time that where better on the ball I would not be surprised to see him start over Varane. Probably our best defender on the ball. So composed.

BerryBerryShrew

If he played in a time that where better on the ball I would not be surprised to see him start over Varane. Probably our best defender on the ball. So composed.
Licha is the best defender on the ball in the world - even statistically as opposed to just the eye test. If we had Licha partnering Lindelof with Shaw at LB and a keeper that doesn't treat the ball like a stick of dynamite, we would be close to unpressable.

SER19

Id consider him good enough to be martinez partner should varane continue to be injured next season. We need to sell maguire and replace him so starting next season with

Lindelof, Varane, Martinez, Replacement is good for 4 centre backs, especially as Shaw has proven himself to be an excellent option in a crisis.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Licha is the best defender on the ball in the world - even statistically as opposed to just the eye test. If we had Licha partnering Lindelof with Shaw at LB and a keeper that doesn't treat the ball like a stick of dynamite, we would be close to unpressable.
Maybe he was when he played in the Eredivise. He is not in the PL. Lisandro Martinez was the regular at Man Utd with highest completion rate at Man Utd with 87 % in the PL this season. Lindelof currently has a completion rate of 93 %. Lindelof also has yet to miscontrol the ball this season.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Martinez and Shaw are both better on the ball.

Lindelof is very good at playing through the centre of the park (both on the ground and the long-ball over the top), but he's fairly average at spreading the play out wide. Martinez and Shaw are fantastic at both, Varane is decent at both, Maguire is excellent at the wide ball to the left but is average at everything else (and takes way too long to play them).

Maybe he was when he played in the Eredivise. He is not in the PL. Lisandro Martinez was the regular at Man Utd with highest completion rate at Man Utd with 87 % in the PL this season. Lindelof currently has a completion rate of 93 %. Lindelof also has yet to miscontrol the ball this season.
There's more than just completion rates. Fairly certain that both Martinez and Shaw tend to play more aggressive passes while Lindelof would have a higher percentage of safe passes.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Martinez and Shaw are both better on the ball.

Lindelof is very good at playing through the centre of the park (both on the ground and the long-ball over the top), but he's fairly average at spreading the play out wide. Martinez and Shaw are fantastic at both, Varane is decent at both, Maguire is excellent at the wide ball to the left but is average at everything else (and takes way too long to play them).
I think it is a mayor disadvantage for Lindelof that so much of our memory of him is from Man Utd prior to this season.

You are right that he is not very good at spreading the play, but he is very, very composed and plays to his strenghts.

Based Adnan

Pass completion has little do with how effective a player is on the ball

Smalling routinely had mid 90% pass completion

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
He was terrible when we lost to Villa 3-1 earlier in the season when he was paired with Martinez. He's enjoying a good run of form at the moment.
It seems to me that Ten Hag and his coaches have worked a lot with Lindelof.
He appears much stronger, tougher and can pick out an excellent pass now and again.
I like this version so much better than previous years.

wangyu

Varane, Martinez, Shaw, Lindelof is enough CB options, that is one area settled.

Matson

One of the best players on the pitch today. He's surprised me in these last couple of games how good he's doing with shaw.

Unlikely lad

His passing as an RCB is better than Maguire’s IMO. He’s obviously been fantastic defensively in the last 3 games as well.

Looks like he’s playing for his future here; I would be much more comfortable with him sharing the RCB spot with Varane (unless we buy someone who’s better than both).

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Pass completion has little do with how effective a player is on the ball

Smalling routinely had mid 90% pass completion
I agree. But Smalling also routinely made the fewest passes moving the ball the fewest yards. No CB at Man Utd have made more passes per 90 min at Man Utd than Lindelof. He is also the CB who has moved the ball the most yards with his passing (also progressive yards). His long ball completion rate i 70 %. Martinez is at 49,5 %.

Maybe Martinez makes a few more difficult passes. But Lindelof is really, really good at keeping the ball.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Never been a fan of his defending but he’s been immense these past few games. Is his contact up soon? Surely we have to renew it and get rid of Maguire.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Not a priority we had Shaw, Malacia and Dalot play there this season.Let’s focus on the attack, we do not punish teams despite dominating, that needs to be solved.
If we have Varane, Lindelöf, Licha & Shaw for CB, it means that for large periods it’s only the latter three. That’s one injury away from having two centre backs playing every single match. Shaw can’t play both positions at the same time. Malacia is not worthy of a starting spot yet.

You need minimum of two players per position if you want to go far in multiple competitions, as we’ve seen this season. Having seven defenders is not enough.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
My biggest gripe with him is being passive and always leaving it to someone else. Great to see today that he finally took control and played like a leader

Mike_Gustav

I'm definitely not a fan of Maguire and have always thought he was an extremely overrated player. Had he not been English, he would have been considerably cheaper when he was bought. A average player from England cost many times more than a non-British player. Having said that, I just want to point out that in many cases it is pure bullying against Maguire. Lindelöf has probably maintained the highest class in the back line this season, but it is the same against him in many cases. Personally, I think Lindelöf has been stable with some less good interventions but who is 100% flawless all the time? I think Lindelöf has shown that he holds Man Utd's class as the team in truth has not performed since Sir Alex's time.

Status
Not open for further replies.