Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_toad

I guarantee if that was Maguire that Bruno lad would have been through on goal. Lindy did well to keep him on his left peg.
Yeah as Harry's injured, so I'd be sure Lindy would be faster. But fully fit they're very similar, that's why we played low block counter. Least Harry is good in the air and willing to put his foot in.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Weird thread this

He's a squad player that done decent coming in when Varane was out. Is there really so much to debate about?
There's 2-3 people who have had the same discussion for about 5 years now. I might be a bit off but based on what they keep saying I'm pretty sure one of them tries to be generally positive while the others I imagine wake up in cold sweat from their nightmares screaming Lindelöf's name about once or twice a night.

Olecurls99

Yeah as Harry's injured, so I'd be sure Lindy would be faster. But fully fit they're very similar, that's why we played low block counter. Least Harry is good in the air and willing to put his foot in.
Nah Lindy is far quicker.

Man-United

Always liked Lindelof. Never seem to complain, great squad player to have in the team but should have more games like he had against Everton, he's a lot up and down in his performances.

phelans shorts

Great response but again that is modern defending and what you’re taught to do. So this debate is going to go on and on till people actually educate themselves and learn how the modern game is played and realise that things might have moved on from their long held believes that they can’t let go.

”as a defender if you have to go to ground, then you already made the mistake”

Rio Ferdinand
Interesting, the defender that made the fake quote has changed.

You’re talking bollocks, by the way.

arthurka

Isn't that what you want from your reserve players? And he is now not a regular and only the back up.
Is it? I would love to have the squad depth to be able to put on a player who at least has one good attribute. The funny thing is he has been a regular for us for years now and we always seem to be one injury away from Lindelöf being our main defender. He has played 200 games for United since he came here in 2017 even when he missed plenty of games due to injury. That screams a starter for me.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Is it? I would love to have the squad depth to be able to put on a player who at least has one good attribute. The funny thing is he has been a regular for us for years now and we always seem to be one injury away from Lindelöf being our main defender. He has played 200 games for United since he came here in 2017 even when he missed plenty of games due to injury. That screams a starter for me.
Because he clearly he WAS the first choice CB, alongside Maguire. But judging from the season so far he's fallen behind Martinez and Varane.

Globule

Maguire's aerial superiority isn't much to write home about. He's not great at directing headers. Sure, he might win the header, but often it falls to the opposition.
Same with his willingness to put his for in. It's often to our detriment because he gets beat and pulled out of position.

He's also definitely not faster than Lindelof.

Red_toad

Maguire's aerial superiority isn't much to write home about. He's not great at directing headers. Sure, he might win the header, but often it falls to the opposition.
Same with his willingness to put his for in. It's often to our detriment because he gets beat and pulled out of position.

He's also definitely not faster than Lindelof.
Harry’s aerial ability is way way better. I said they were similar speed, you victor fans just don’t see his flaws. VIC got beat for speed as he has no plan B.

Globule

Harry’s aerial ability is way way better. I said they were similar speed, you victor fans just don’t see his flaws. VIC got beat for speed as he has no plan B.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a massive fan of Lindelof. I think a backup role is the best place for him in our side. He's not fast and is easily beaten by pacey strikers. But he's not as slow and cumbersome as Maguire.

The way I see them, Lindelof is a passive defender who often doesn't do much to prevent goals. Whereas Maguire is more of a proactive defender but has often directly cost us goals.

Maguire has shown he can be much better, but more recently he's shown he can be much worse too.

izec

Isn't that what you want from your reserve players? And he is now not a regular and only the back up.
Not from a CB. Maybe a utility man that is versatile and can play a lot of positions to a good level.

He is a nothing player and a nothing CB. He literally would not be worse or better as a DM or RB, because he has no standout attributes. He is just there.

Sylar

The drop off in quality when he's come on for varane (this match and city match) is glaring

Strats

Needs to shave his hair and become a monster at the back. Would rather give him the nod than Maguire.

Huge boots to fill in Varanes absence.

MagooDad

It's noticeable that he plays better with Casemiro in front off him. His passive waiting game makes more sense when a DM comes to help.

However, he is no Varane, so we will suffer against better opposition. Still prefer him over Maguire though.

Telsim

Well, good thing we have already played the top half of the table, I guess. :nervous:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Thank feck the stupid hard run of fixtures is over, Lindelof until the world Cup against the bottom half of the league (literally) isn't the worst thing. Hope Varane is back after the world Cup, but will be worried if it's longer.

Red_toad

Let’s be fair he was ok, but I thought Varane was excellent until his body gave up
Aside from the massive back pass when he was near Chelsea’s D, he played well. That said he affects the team structure when he plays, as does Harry. Ten Hag needs a faster more proactive back up centre half.

sideshowbob

Think his ability to play out from the back could actually help us with the kind run of fixtures coming up.

Still gutted for Varane though.

Sylar

Criticism for criticism sake.
If that's how you take it, that's fine
If you truly believe there isn't a drop off in quality and in turn are just wanting to argue for the same of it, so be it

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If that's how you take it, that's fine
If you truly believe there isn't a drop off in quality and in turn are just wanting to argue for the same of it, so be it
Generally there is will be a drop off because Varance is a better player and defender but it wasn't apparent in this game because Lindelof did not put a foot wrong.

Sylar

Are you expecting there to be no drop off in quality when a 3rd/4th choice CB comes in for Varane?
I'm expecting it. But to me it's very obvious.
It's not a situation where when you lose vidic or Rio and maybe brown comes in (despite the obvious difference)

This one to me seems bigger. I don't think he did bad today (though I think it will be more obvious in games to come)
That's not a criticism on lindelof, it's what it is and we know what were going to get.

I do hope it doesn't affect our style too much on the ball though

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Don’t get me wrong I still think he’s not good enough
I am sure many will agree with you including me but tbf he didn't do anything wrong today, seemed okay under pressure with the ball and didn't do any mistake today, yeah not contested many like usual for him but at least he didn't cost us.

I'd hope for us to be dominant enough in the coming weeks for him not to take too much action in defending as he will most certainly get a run of games unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.