Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxbatt

Of course it doesn't help when you have a reserve left back playing on the right and Elanga on the right wing. I don't think he was brilliant but he did a decent job in what he had to do. He defended a lot better than in the recent past. He is what he is as a 3rd choice CB and he is good enough for that.

Sylar

I'm perfectly happy with Lindelof as a squad player - 3rd or 4th choice CB, and an option as a rare fill in, say 3rd choice, RB.

He seems to be a decent enough player to have around the squad, and always looks to be trying to give his best. However that 'best' is limited, and he's definitely a tier below the likes of Varane and Martinez.

Ideally, we'd sell Maguire, bring in another CB that's closer to Varane and Martinez level, and have those three and Lindelof as 4 strong options. That's if Lindelof would be happy with battling for his place against such strong competition - he might prefer to be more of a starter elsewhere than 3rd or 4th choice here, and that would be understandable.
I go along with this. I said before the drop off from Varane to him is noticeable and I think the main part is how good Varane is at organising the defence.
Im not saying LIndelof is bad, but that doesnt mean hes good enough to be a consistent starter for us.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Let me guess he shit pants?

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
He wasn't awful, he played next to an inexperienced player and perhaps wasn't ready to be a leader but is still an adequate sub for a 2nd squad position.

JeffFromHK

the first goal we conceded was classical Lindelof stuff: misjudging aerial ball's path and making failed attempted jump for header, opponent scores.

Man Utd 2:0 Burnley

CSMUFC90

Looked very comfortable and reliable this season under ten hag, not saying he’s the future but he’s a very good back up to Varane and Martinez.

NoPace

Did well against Burnley. I think Ten Hag is happy with him as our 4th CB since he trusts him at LCB and RCB, so even if Varane gets hurt, I think it's an open battle with Maguire to start at RCB.

Revan

Assumptionman
Did well against Burnley. I think Ten Hag is happy with him as our 4th CB since he trusts him at LCB and RCB, so even if Varane gets hurt, I think it's an open battle with Maguire to start at RCB.
I think ETH sees him as our 3rd CB to be fair. When Varane was out, Lindelof played more than Maguire (and rightly so).

NoPace

I think ETH sees him as our 3rd CB to be fair. When Varane was out, Lindelof played more than Maguire (and rightly so).
Hard to say. Seems like his first choice was Maguire and figured he could get him playing well again if he moved him to the right, then it was a disaster and Maguire just had a good World Cup, though he's also had an extra month to work with Lindelof. Long-term, I'd be surprised if Ten Hag doesn't want to sell Maguire and keep Lindelof, but if nothing happens in January, he could still pick Maguire over Lindelof. We really should just sell Maguire in January, his fee will be lower in the summer than coming off a World Cup and with someone surely facing a CB shortage in January.

Either way, all I meant was, Ten Hag probably isn't so enamoured with Lindelof as a 3rd CB that he'd be fine with Maguire being sold and us signing a talented 20 year old with little experience, which would normally make sense for the 4th CB spot.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Rusty. Can't head for shit. Decent player otherwise.

A-man

Looked rusty in possession but never any trouble defensively. Won back the ball several times and won many aerials.

Last edited:

Raven

Good defensively, was okay but not great on the ball probably due to rustiness.

Denis79

I'm a total apologist for the man but even if I'd admit that the Shaw @ LCB experiment is worth more to this team than him in the lineup.
Yup, Shaw was amazing on the ball and offered so much more than Lindelof usually does 99% of the time.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He was fine, obviously I would rather see him paired with one of Varane/Martinez than Maguire who looks totally shot on confidence. He's a decent defender and usually good on the ball, will do as 3rd choice CB (or 4th if we can replace Maguire).
They just can't play together.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He had a decent game, against Bournemouth. But I always feel like a mistake is just around the corner with him. 6 years experience has shown us that. In an deal world when we get taken over, we can plan on replacing him and Maguire because neither are what we should be accepting off if we want to progress.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He had a decent game, against Bournemouth. But I always feel like a mistake is just around the corner with him. 6 years experience has shown us that. In an deal world when we get taken over, we can plan on replacing him and Maguire because neither are what we should be accepting off if we want to progress.
It's difficult to buy a 3rd choice centre back though - let alone a 4th choice!

I would sell Maguire and keep Lindelof around as 4th choice - and then sign someone to compete with Varane/Martinez (but realistically be 3rd choice)

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
It's difficult to buy a 3rd choice centre back though - let alone a 4th choice!

I would sell Maguire and keep Lindelof around as 4th choice - and then sign someone to compete with Varane/Martinez (but realistically be 3rd choice)
You buy a young promising centre back who has the potential to displace Varane/Martinez as the 3rd choice and have Shaw as 4th choice. If we need any more centre backs, just make use of the academy players.

Keeping Lindelof around on the bench is a massive waste of money when everyone knows he’s not good enough to start.

Raven

You buy a young promising centre back who has the potential to displace Varane/Martinez as the 3rd choice and have Shaw as 4th choice. If we need any more centre backs, just make use of the academy players.

Keeping Lindelof around on the bench is a massive waste of money when everyone knows he’s not good enough to start.
He's easily good enough to be 3rd/4th choice.

RedDevil@84

You buy a young promising centre back who has the potential to displace Varane/Martinez as the 3rd choice
Unless from the academy, I don't think young promising centre back with potential to displace two WC winners will be eager to be 3rd choice and wait for years. They would want to play a lot and develop their skills.

December_16

Unless from the academy, I don't think young promising centre back with potential to displace two WC winners will be eager to be 3rd choice and wait for years. They would want to play a lot and develop their skills.
Being a 3rd choice CB at a club like Man Utd is the dream for most young players. They don’t necessarily need to dislodge Varane or Martinez, since there are plenty of minutes to go around and they get to partner with both (not even counting injuries or suspension). Man City has like 4-5 top class CBs in their squad too.

That said, if Lindelof is happy being back up CB, it’s a no brainer to keep him.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Being a 3rd choice CB at a club like Man Utd is the dream for most young players. They don’t necessarily need to dislodge Varane or Martinez, since there are plenty of minutes to go around and they get to partner with both (not even counting injuries or suspension). Man City has like 4-5 top class CBs in their squad too.

That said, if Lindelof is happy being back up CB, it’s a no brainer to keep him.
I would rearrange that sentence for anyone who wants to keep him long term. I’ve seen better CBs playing lower league

BorisManUtd

He's a decent defender and passer. Certainly not a player we should consider selling unless he wants out for first team football.
Agree. Useful and obviously solid player, having him as 3rd choice is perfectly fine.

RedOrange

If you’ve no intentions of challenging for the league, sure.
I guess your argument is that Lindelof is actually one of the worst CB's in the league or something obnoxious like that, but he's fine as a backup/rotational CB. A second pair of world class CB's is absolutely not necessary to win the PL, as evidenced by every club that's ever won the PL besides City a few times since Pep has been there.

elmo

I guess your argument is that Lindelof is actually one of the worst CB's in the league or something obnoxious like that, but he's fine as a backup/rotational CB. A second pair of world class CB's is absolutely not necessary to win the PL, as evidenced by every club that's ever won the PL besides City a few times since Pep has been there.
No, my point is that a third choice centreback should be someone that can push the starters and fight them for a starting job instead of having someone who clearly can’t.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It was the first time he decided to attack the ball first rather than ball watching and being coward, so I'm finally happy to see my centre back chooses to act like a warrior even if it's only one game. He might have realised that his 3rd or 4th choice could be in danger after watched how good Shaw was as CB.

Lindelof at best should be 5th choice CB not 3rd choice CB for this club, while being 4th choice is debatable.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He is decent as back up, not more. The difference to Licha and Varane is shocking but we need a full squad of players so…

Raven

This is just nonsense, he's been our starting CB for years and has consistently finished between 2nd and 6th. He's a good quality Premier League defender and more than good.enough to be one of our back ups. Who do you think we should/could sign that's better than him and will accept the role we're talking about?

elmo

This is just nonsense, he's been our starting CB for years and has consistently finished between 2nd and 6th. He's a good quality Premier League defender and more than good.enough to be one of our back ups. Who do you think we should/could sign that's better than him and will accept the role we're talking about?
We were never challenging for the title when he started and you’re having a laugh if you think our defense is good with him playing.

Eli Zee

Nonsense. He's good enough to be sub or back up. You don't exactly need 2 world class players for all 11 positions.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Nonsense. He's good enough to be sub or back up. You don't exactly need 2 world class players for all 11 positions.
You'd never get them anyway, how many world class players will sit on the bench every week, answer none

elmo

Jesus, you lot can’t fecking read.

My point is we need a better centre back as 3rd choice to ensure competitiveness in the squad.

Lindelof is not that guy. If he was 5 years younger and still has time to develop, sure we can have him as the third choice, but he’s literally in his prime and it’s clear he’s not the standard we should be aiming for as a starter.

We’ll be fecked if Varane/Martinez gets a serious injury and we’ve to play Lindelof for a prolonged stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.