Victor Lindelöf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wythenshawe

Heard, from what i think is a pretty solid source inside an involved club, that it's a done deal (yes we've heard it before) now that Benfica and Västerås SK has reach an agreement about the sell-on clause. Victor will be presented on Monday. Let's see.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
Heard, from what i think is a pretty solid source inside an involved club, that it's a done deal now that Benfica and Västerås SK has reach an agreement about the sell-on clause. Victor will be presented on Monday. Let's see.
And what is this "solid" source you have?

Not undermining you in anyway, just curious.

Last edited:

Wythenshawe

And what is this "solid" source you have?
A person with insight in the talks between Benfica and Västerås SK. The agreement about the sell-on clause was made with numbers and not percentages which tells me Benfica and United has a agreement about the fee and the transfer was actually hold up by the clause-twist.

But yeah, I've also heard it before so I'm a bit sceptical even tho i shouldn't doubt the info.. And we know Benfica seems almost impossible to make deals with so I guess they can still change their stand once more. Maybe a pointless post from me since we wont be sure until it happens or the window closes.

RRCE

Weird situation this, all the noises suggest it should happen but Jose says we arent interested who knows ey.
Whether or not this deal goes through remains to be seen, but I wouldn't take Jose's comments as the gospel truth. How many times over the years did we hear Sir Alex state, very clearly, that we wouldn't be doing any business, only for a transfer to be announced a short time later? Jose could well be speaking truthfully, but it's just as likely that his comments were calculated.

Personally, I don't think the past several weeks will have significantly changed Jose's opinion as to what our defensive needs are. If he believes that Lindelof is that big a talent, and an upgrade on Smalling, Jones and/or Rojo, then he'll want to bring him in while he can. I have a feeling that Jones has really found favour with Jose, as he spoke publicly about Jones' bravery in declaring himself fit to play after being out for so long (not to mention his quality performances), but I'm not so sure he fancies Smalling and Rojo long term. Smalling, in particular, just seems to lack the steel that Jose loves in his central defenders.

The United

Whether or not this deal goes through remains to be seen, but I wouldn't take Jose's comments as the gospel truth. How many times over the years did we hear Sir Alex state, very clearly, that we wouldn't be doing any business, only for a transfer to be announced a short time later? Jose could well be speaking truthfully, but it's just as likely that his comments were calculated.

Personally, I don't think the past several weeks will have significantly changed Jose's opinion as to what our defensive needs are. If he believes that Lindelof is that big a talent, and an upgrade on Smalling, Jones and/or Rojo, then he'll want to bring him in while he can. I have a feeling that Jones has really found favour with Jose, as he spoke publicly about Jones' bravery in declaring himself fit to play after being out for so long (not to mention his quality performances), but I'm not so sure he fancies Smalling and Rojo long term. Smalling, in particular, just seems to lack the steel that Jose loves in his central defenders.
Eh yeah how many times?

And, funny he did it mostly on outgoing transfers.

I am not really sure how people are thinking that our defense is in fact a weakness. At least not for this season to do some business in jan.

RRCE

Eh yeah how many times?

And, funny he did it mostly on outgoing transfers.

I am not really sure how people are thinking that our defense is in fact a weakness. At least not for this season to do some business in jan.
I don't know if it's a question of having glaring weaknesses in defence, as I think it's clear that we don't. Rather, the question is likely whether Jose believes the current defenders are good enough to challenge for the league, the domestic cups, and European glory. The squad is in transition, and Jose is really just at the front end of building his team. He's already purchased Bailly, and I suspect he will bring in at least two more defenders between this and the summer transfer window. Whether Lindelof figures into his overall plan remains to be seen, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was brought in now. Even if Jose believes that he wouldn't make a meaningful impact until next season, he may see the benefit in bringing him in now, thereby giving him plenty of time to adapt and integrate into the team.

The United

I don't know if it's a question of having glaring weaknesses in defence, as I think it's clear that we don't. Rather, the question is likely whether Jose believes the current defenders are good enough to challenge for the league, the domestic cups, and European glory. The squad is in transition, and Jose is really just at the front end of building his team. He's already purchased Bailly, and I suspect he will bring in at least two more defenders between this and the summer transfer window. Whether Lindelof figures into his overall plan remains to be seen, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was brought in now. Even if Jose believes that he wouldn't make a meaningful impact until next season, he may see the benefit in bringing him in now, thereby giving him plenty of time to adapt and integrate into the team.
There is no telling that whoever he would buy to make our defense better will actually be making it better. Of course, his first 4 signings seem like good ones atm. But, like any other manager, he will have some shit signings at one point.

It is better to let the current players play to see if they can improve under him and judge them in the summer. Which I think he has been doing. And I don't think many of them let him down much more than usual. I think it is opposite.

Are they good enough to challenge for the league? Well, I would say yes for this season except our attacking side let us down more than the defense. If our attack did the job a tad better, I would say we would have been in the mix at this point.

RRCE

There is no telling that whoever he would buy to make our defense better will actually be making it better. Of course, his first 4 signings seem like good ones atm. But, like any other manager, he will have some shit signings at one point.

It is better to let the current players play to see if they can improve under him and judge them in the summer. Which I think he has been doing. And I don't think many of them let him down much more than usual. I think it is opposite.

Are they good enough to challenge for the league? Well, I would say yes for this season except our attacking side let us down more than the defense. If our attack did the job a tad better, I would say we would have been in the mix at this point.
I don't completely disagree with you, and we're obviously both speculating as to what Jose's master plan may be. I have no doubt, however, that he intends on strengthening the squad further (in defence, midfield and attack) while concurrently moulding it into something that fits with his idea of how the roster should be comprised. Many of the current players will be part of that, but others will go. If the right player (in Jose's opinion) is available, then I believe the club will act. I've only seen glimpses of Lindelof - certainly not enough to state whether he's a "must get" player or not. He doesn't strike me as someone who could come in and make a huge impact over the next 18 league games, but his current abilities and potential for the future would be judged by Jose and his team. I believe they'll have a longer term perspective, and will be looking well beyond this season.

NYAS

The guy commentating on my broadcast said something along the lines of "We have good reason to believe that the Lindelof to United deal is quite imminent", so when I heard that I came to this thread and was disappointed to see there wasn't any really concrete news.

MartialsBeard

I don't completely disagree with you, and we're obviously both speculating as to what Jose's master plan may be. I have no doubt, however, that he intends on strengthening the squad further (in defence, midfield and attack) while concurrently moulding it into something that fits with his idea of how the roster should be comprised. Many of the current players will be part of that, but others will go. If the right player (in Jose's opinion) is available, then I believe the club will act. I've only seen glimpses of Lindelof - certainly not enough to state whether he's a "must get" player or not. He doesn't strike me as someone who could come in and make a huge impact over the next 18 league games, but his current abilities and potential for the future would be judged by Jose and his team. I believe they'll have a longer term perspective, and will be looking well beyond this season.
Great posts and comments. I completely agree, and I think jose will have an eye on the future, it falls in line with our transfer policy too, we seem to make young high value targets a priority and so far have been v.sucessful with Bailly and Martial as prime examples. Lindelof could be the next Bailly.

From his YouTube comps you cant tell too much but niether could you from Baillys I love for him to come in. Defense is an area we need to improve in squad wise and he could be a wonderful signing.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Proposed moves for Southampton centre back Jose Fonte and AS Monaco's versatile full back Fabinho fell through when United failed to make space in the Old Trafford squad by offloading surplus players

Mourinho's scouts have also recommended a move for 1899 Hoffenheim's young Germany international Niklas Sule.
Some extra bits at the bottom of the article although nothing new really.

Zoo

Exclusive: United-Star welcomes Lindelöf: "hope to play together".

podurban2

Exclusive: United-Star welcomes Lindelöf: "hope to play together".
So Bailly told Swedish football site Fotbollskanalen, "I hope to play with him. Hopefully he will be able to help us. He is a very good player. He has great attributes and I am sure he will be a success if he joins us." He also says that he thinks they would suit each other well.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
So Bailly told Swedish football site Fotbollskanalen, "I hope to play with him. Hopefully he will be able to help us. He is a very good player. He has great attributes and I am sure he will be a success if he joins us." He also says that he thinks they would suit each other well.
How a Swedish website is interviewing a player all the way in Africa, I don't know.

Cathy Ferguson

As a Swede I have seen VNL a couple of times playing for our national team (but not for Benfica).

He is definately a huge talent but it might be too soon for him to be a regular starter for us? He is quite a versatile defender and can also play at right back which would give us some cover there, unless Mou plans to convert him to a RB a la Ivanovic? He is not the tallest (1.87 m) and he's not dominant in the air (a la Vidic). I would say that his main strength is his skill on the ball and he has the potential to be our most skilful defender in this aspect, bar Blind, but he is faster and stronger than Blind. 38m sounds steep since we got Bailly for less than 30m but the money shouldn't be an issue if Mou rates him highly.

Süle has also been mentioned and he's taller (1.94 m) but I have no idea if he's any good at bringing the ball out of defence?

Bwuk

Bailly
Lindelof
Jones
Rojo
Smalling

Who leaves in the summer then? No way we'd have 5 for 2 positions, especially one that doesn't get rotated often.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Bailly
Lindelof
Jones
Rojo
Smalling

Who leaves in the summer then? No way we'd have 5 for 2 positions, especially one that doesn't get rotated often.
TBF Smalling and Jones only count as one player combined with their injury records.

Cathy Ferguson

The chairman of Västerås SK (the club which sold VNL to Benfica at an young age) confirms to SVT (Swedish equivalent to BBC) that negotiations are ongoing between Västerås and Benfica to decide the sell-on fee that Västerås are to receive if VNL is sold to another club. It stood at 20% originally but Benfica have questioned this and the latest figure that has been mentioned is 10% which is still an awful lot of money for nonprofessional club Västerås and might make Benfica more willing to allow VNL to leave in January? There is definately something going on here.

Edit: The chairman denies that a deal is done for VNL to United, but reading a bit between the lines he seems quite optimistic that a deal is close.

http://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/vastmanland/dialogen-mellan-benfica-och-vsk-fortsatter

dichinero

Bailly
Lindelof
Jones
Rojo
Smalling

Overkill but home grown rules may be a deciding factor

Status
Not open for further replies.