Vincent Kompany: Man City quadruple a matter of time | Next year?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Very true.

I don't think you can really deny that over the last season and a half he's been nowhere near as dominant as he was in City's title-winning season, yet for some reason he's still got the reputation of being that same impeccable defender. I really can't see any difference between him and Koscielny at the moment but Koscielny doesn't have a remotely comparable reputation.
If anything, Koscielny is better positioning wise then Kompany is. Kompany seems to be regarded so highly because he's a really hard worker, and is a beast physically so those two combined for a center back gets the fans to love him. He loves charging all around the pitch to get stuck in and while some fans like it, it might make you seem good, it's really better for central defenders to just stay and hold position and keep an organized defence. He's got the potential to become a top defender if he matures a bit in that respect, calms down and focuses on defending, but like this he leaves gaps all the time IMO.

RustyS

Third red in a City shirt. Still time to complete the quadruple in a City shirt this season.:angel:

Shame on you for doubting the lad.

MoneyMay

Koscielny has been better than Kompany since the beginning of 2013. What stops Koscielny from getting the same praise as Kompany is his reputation of being a liability that dates back to his first season. Also, he doesn't sell himself to the media. He's a better defender than Kompany IMO, and has had a better season quite easily.

It's funny how Kompany gets away with it though, based on his 11/12 season. He reminds me of Randall from Recess. Proper snake.

Man's like this when talking to the media.

But he's like this when the cameras are not on him:

And then.... he's like this when he loses:

Gladiator

@MoneyMay I'm pretty sure you've noticed this too but Koscielny's interceptions are not only pretty timely but they also turn into opportunities for a quick counterattack. There was a stat floating around documenting the percentage of his defensive contributions leading to a counterattack and it was quite interesting. I lost some respect for Kompany when he first bleated on about "moral victory" :lol:

MoneyMay

@MoneyMay I'm pretty sure you've noticed this too but Koscielny's interceptions are not only pretty timely but they also turn into opportunities for a quick counterattack. There was a stat floating around documenting the percentage of his defensive contributions leading to a counterattack and it was quite interesting. I lost some respect for Kompany when he first bleated on about "moral victory" :lol:
Yeah, Koscielny is the best CB in the league at controlling the ball/stopping a counter attack and then starting one himself. He'd be pretty high in a list of players who have made a significant improvement since 10/11. It is surprising to see members laugh at Al's opinion though. He was one of the main reasons Arsenal finished in the top four last season, but he doesn't have a great reputation unfortunately. When he and Mertesacker were Arsenal's main centre-back partnership in the second half of the season, they were very solid defensively. This strong partnership has carried on this season.

Koscielny when he first arrived in England. Compare his body back then to what it is now.

And here's a video showing his best bits:

WyoManU

Barcelona are making City look a pub team. Quadruple? He doesn't know of what he speaks.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Kompany's Quadruple is only a matter of time and now Otamendi believes they'll do the PL and CL double this season. RAWK level of delusions at Etihad Campus.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
City winning the CL any time soon is like Sunderland winning the PL any time soon. You don't hear Sunderland talking about winning the PL.
Not really the same. Apart from the big three of barca bayern and real madrid, there is a group of 4-8 teams that could realistically have a good shot at getting to the final with decent luck with draws and injuries etc. Chelsea, United, City, Arsenal, PSG, Dortmund, Athletico, Juve are all in the dark horse bracket for sure. A more accurate analogy is probably a big spending spurs side winning the league.

dustfingers

Supports
MMC
Not really the same. Apart from the big three of barca bayern and real madrid, there is a group of 4-8 teams that could realistically have a good shot at getting to the final with decent luck with draws and injuries etc. Chelsea, United, City, Arsenal, PSG, Dortmund, Athletico, Juve are all in the dark horse bracket for sure. A more accurate analogy is probably a big spending spurs side winning the league.
I agree. Dortmund used to be bad in Champions League and then all of sudden reached the finals. It is always difficult for English team to win CL because of competitive nature of EPL mid to lower position teams but with right focus and a little bit of less energy in league challenges (like Chelsea in their UCL winning season) could see them make it. Of course, I don't see them winning a quadruple though because we don't have a one or two horse race in EPL, 4 teams can all spend and compete at the highest level.

Ainu

It's not that far fetched that City could win the CL. They won't be favourites any time soon, but if they play to the best of their abilities they're well capable of beating the best teams in Europe on a bad day. I don't rate Pellegrini as a tactician at that level though, so the chances aren't overly high. But still, stranger things have happened.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
City winning the CL any time soon is like Sunderland winning the PL any time soon. You don't hear Sunderland talking about winning the PL.
Not at all similar scenarios. City are a level below than Real, Barca, Bayern like few other European teams but that doesn't mean them winning CL is that far fetched. The draw can mean that City might have to beat only 1 of those 3 and in knockout competition anything is possible. It depends how Otamendi, Sterling and possibly De Bruyne gels in but they can very well challenge on multiple fronts at least.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
@BobbyManc you may have already answered this somewhere in this thread, but how do you feel as a fan when Kompany says stuff like the quadruple is only a matter of time? I know they're old quotes but I haven't looked through the thread.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
@BobbyManc you may have already answered this somewhere in this thread, but how do you feel as a fan when Kompany says stuff like the quadruple is only a matter of time? I know they're old quotes but I haven't looked through the thread.
It doesn't bother me one way or the other, all it demonstrated was Kompany's commitment and enthusiasm for all that is happening with the club. People hugely overreacted to the quote, as if Kompany was suggesting that the current side was going to win a quadruple. He gave no time frame for the achievement, he just said in his opinion it was 'inevitable', and while his choice of wording is a bit strong seen as so few teams have done it before, considering his obvious bias and his knowledge of just how much money and effort has gone into the club, it's hardly as deluded as people would believe. Also worth pointing out it was the press, outsiders to the club, who created the 'quadruple' talk, and Kompany was merely responding to a question.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
It doesn't bother me one way or the other, all it demonstrated was Kompany's commitment and enthusiasm for all that is happening with the club. People hugely overreacted to the quote, as if Kompany was suggesting that the current side was going to win a quadruple. He gave no time frame for the achievement, he just said in his opinion it was 'inevitable', and while his choice of wording is a bit strong seen as so few teams have done it before, considering his obvious bias and his knowledge of just how much money and effort has gone into the club, it's hardly as deluded as people would believe. Also worth pointing out it was the press, outsiders to the club, who created the 'quadruple' talk, and Kompany was merely responding to a question.
Kompany is proper fairweather when it comes to his comments in the media - talks during good times and is nowhere to be seen when it's going tits up.

What's more, he has no control - just lunges straight in (like when he plays) and talks about winning quadruples and other such nonsense.

How about shut the feck up and do your talking on the pitch?

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I'd also question the professionalism and commitment of a player who takes his foot off the gas every time he has a bit of success, a problem that exists across the City squad.

Oggmonster

Kompany is proper fairweather when it comes to his comments in the media - talks during good times and is nowhere to be seen when it's going tits up.

What's more, he has no control - just lunges straight in (like when he plays) and talks about winning quadruples and other such nonsense.

You could probably say the same for most players to be fair, not just Kompany. I've never really seen him shy away though. He's City's captain and is usually interviewed before nearly every game on Sky or BT, the only time he wasn't is when he's injured. I find him slightly cringing when he speaks as he's a bit of a rent a quote but I don't think he shys away. Your third sentence kind of proves that.

He's not the only footballer that speaks a lot as well, captains of big clubs will always be interviewed, Rooney, Kompany, Terry and when he was at Liverpool Gerrard are always interviewed.

I'd also question the professionalism and commitment of a player who takes his foot off the gas every time he has a bit of success, a problem that exists across the City squad.
It's pretty hard to retain a title though, look at a team like Arsenal who never won a league back to back in their peak. It's not just Kompany or City. Also to be fair to him he's won 2 premier leagues, 11-12 and 13-14....in the seasons after that he missed big chunks through injury, I'd say his team deserve more flack than him for it really.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City

:lol:

What a load of shit.

1. Kompany is City's captain and naturally vocal in the media, during the good times and the bad times. You can believe what you want to suit your conception of Kompany, all I know is he's been more than vocal in admitting his performances last season were poor and that he needs to improve as well as being more than happy to speak when the club hits a bad spell.

2. He didn't just 'lunge' straight in and talk about winning a quadruple, he responded to a question he was asked that explicitly mentioned the quadruple.

3. He has done, with two clean sheets and two good performances, not to mention two goals as well. He was training on his own at the club this summer when he was supposed to be enjoying his holidays because he was more than aware of his need to recapture his form.

matt23

This is why the Chelsea result was so enjoyable. City have some fearsome players on their day, but the thought of Chelsea hitting the ground running is more intimidating. City are more than capable of winning multiple trophies this year, but I think they lack the ability to grind out 3 or 4 wins in a bad month, with injuries.

Jerch

I think we have a bigger chance of winning the CL then City and i don't think we have a big chance to win it. Their midfield is just not good enough, our can challenge against any opposition and tbf our manager is quite good in the cup competitions.

Mind realistically i give them better chance in the PL because their attack will just overpower most of the teams.

NoPace

Their draw would have to be fecking incredible to win the CL with (in descending order of problems) Clichy/Kolarov at LB, Fernandinho + Yaya in a 2 man midfield and Hart in net.

----Aguero-----
-----------Sterling
--KDB-Silva-----
----Yaya---------
------XXX--------
XXX-------Zabaleta
Otamendi-Kompany
------Hart--------

This team could do it, but you'd have to have a great DM and pretty good LB, I think. Odds are they'd have to beat one of Madrid/Barca/Bayern and right now it's Kolarov/Clichy marking Bale, Messi or Robben/Muller.

I'd say the CL looks like this, attaching rough numbers to it:

Favorite- 30%
Barca - The worse they play the more their front 3 can counter. Hell of a proposition.

Serious Contenders - 36% (18% each)
Bayern - Lahm back at FB and their team looks incredible
Madrid - Benitez is a good tactician and if they get De Gea their worst starter is Varane/Pepe and their 2nd worst is probably Benzema, which is insane.

A Chance - 30% (5% each)
Atletico - Narrowly lost to Madrid last time and they've added a nice player in Vietto, as well as bringing back Filipe Luis, so probably a hair stronger. If they had gotten Motta from PSG i'd have them in their own tier and PSG one below.
Juventus - Have the D. Pirlo leaving is fine but Vidal and Tevez is too much. Dybala would have to immediately tear things up, I think.
PSG - Midfield balance is incredible and Di Maria's energy will help. Ibra going might actually help in big games where Cavani's hard work and pace may be more helpful.
Chelsea - Mourinho and a good squad. Probably need to park the bus, but they can do that.
United - Look very solid defensively, would need to do a Chelsea 2012
Juventus - Have the D. Pirlo leaving is fine but Vidal and Tevez is too much. Dybala would have to immediately tear things up, I think.
Citeh - Maybe the strongest of the 4 in this group in terms of getting to the QFs, but the most obvious weak links once they get there

Very outside chance - 4% (1% each)
Sevilla - 2 Europa Leagues in a row shows they can win knockout competitions. Won't be scared of the big teams
Arsenal - Have the talent, but still lack the defensive nous and toughness. Mertesacker and a high line is also doom, as is a 2 man midfield with Cazorla (as good as he is) and a child (as good as he is) at RB.
Valencia - Losing Otamendi probably kills even this, but they aren't bad
Everyone else - Led by Roma and Borussia MG (both good on the counter, and you're not outplaying the teams above, so that's probably the best route)