Virgil van Dijk | Performances

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
But which "narrative" are you referring to here? I think I am trying to argue that you tend to rate a lot of Liverpool-related things very (extremely) negative because of your dislike of our club. I think you're a great poster but when it comes to Liverpool I routinely find myself thinking that you come across very negative / bitter / biased, whatever you'd like to call it. But it is striking, to me at least.

It used to be waaayyyy more fun in the football forums when we were still bad, before Klopp came around and during his early days. When most used to laugh at us - now quite a few have turned into the conspiracy theory guys they used to mock back in the days. Trying to stay clear from Liverpool-discussions as much as possible.

As someone said above, a player's trophy haul is a limited metric. Stam just happened to be part of a historically strong United team, that's not (entirely) related to how good a defender he was. Van Dijk won everything he could've won at Liverpool in a relatively short timeframe, whilst going up against a better domestic opponent than United did in Stam's period. I actually think they would be in the same tier for me, which is one below the very best defenders.
So I'm biased, but you agree with my assessment of Van Dijk?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
As someone said above, a player's trophy haul is a limited metric. Stam just happened to be part of a historically strong United team, that's not (entirely) related to how good a defender he was. Van Dijk won everything he could've won at Liverpool in a relatively short timeframe, whilst going up against a better domestic opponent than United did in Stam's period. I actually think they would be in the same tier for me, which is one below the very best defenders
Mostly, I agree. But when you look at Utd pre and post Stam, I think its very very clear the impact and quality that Stam delivered.

This better domestic opponent stuff I find a bit tiresome to be honest. By what metric? Stam was a big part of why we were the "City" in 98-01. By that I mean the domestic power. The domestic opponent Stam came in against just won the double and had some of the greatest Premier league players ever.
Are you one of those that says Klopp > Fergie because Fergie never got 98 points? I'm not being facetious, it'll just give me a clear indication to the question I asked.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
So I'm biased, but you agree with my assessment of Van Dijk?
I disagree with the below, at least based on what I see online and my own experience - but I'll take your word for it that it happens in the UK media, then.

Then the Pool PR machine (which in fairness has been ongoing for him for a while) will try to make sure he is always included in "all time greats" debates, obviously.
And I partly agree with the below

It is. Performances are important as well. He was great for a limited time, and wasn't anymore after that, reverting to a good but not excellent defender - being actually pretty bad at times. He'll rank as being one of the good PL defenders historically, but not one of the greats - just a level behind them.
I'd rephrase it:
- He performed at an all-time great level for a limited time and reverted back to a great defender after that. He had some down performances, if you're referring to those with "pretty bad at times". It's certainly not the case that he downed tools for months on end or anything like that. Was just a little bit below his usual level sometimes last season, just like our entire squad;
- He'll rank as one of the great PL defenders historically, but not one of the all-time greats, indeed a level behind them.

So yeah, maybe arguing semantics here, I think I rate him higher than you do but kind of in the same tier.

Mostly, I agree. But when you look at Utd pre and post Stam, I think its very very clear the impact and quality that Stam delivered.

This better domestic opponent stuff I find a bit tiresome to be honest. By what metric? Stam was a big part of why we were the "City" in 98-01. By that I mean the domestic power. The domestic opponent Stam came in against just won the double and had some of the greatest Premier league players ever.
Are you one of those that says Klopp > Fergie because Fergie never got 98 points? I'm not being facetious, it'll just give me a clear indication to the question I asked.
Definitely a big no on the last sentence, but those City teams easily trump Arsenal's invincables for me.

United had to overcome great teams during that period, but we are up against a financially doped team with the best manager on the planet.

For your first sentence: if you look at Liverpool pre Van Dijk, his impact and quality can't be overstated either. What it'll be like after him will become clear once he leaves, although I think Konate has become a very good defender in his own right by now.

dubplate warrior

It really does look like the end of an era for Liverpool. The difference is they still sign well, so their squad won't need as much regeneration as ours did post Fergie.

Righteous Steps

Using a players trophy haul to decide who is a better player is such a lazy way to assess players.

For example to use another Liverpool player as an example, Mo Salahs best season as a Liverpool player was when his team finished 4th, it was a historical season as a player but it didn’t lead to a league title or Cl. On the inverse the seasons he did win these trophies were worse than his first one.

More important than trophies when judging individual players is how they performed in these seasons, it’s not as simple as saying player A won more trophies so he is better than player B.

Why not look into the player, their chareterisicts, there strengths and weaknesses rather than just use the lazy argument of so and so didn’t win as much trophies as another player so said player is better.

VVD if he leaves this season would have had 5-6 stand out seasons in this league, 1-2 probably better than every other defenser hence 2nd in Ballon dor and also PFA player of the year.

5-6 seasons of top football is not a short peak, it probably sees him fall short behind Ferdinand Terry and co, but he has had as much games and top seasons as someone like Vidic without the team awards to go with it.

This is why such argument confuses me, I would actually say taking into consideration peaks, VVD Rio Staam and Thiago Silva are the best cbs overall I’ve seen in the league but that may be down to my penchant to rate ball playing Cbs over everybody else.

As Cbs though I would say VVD and Silva are the most complete, good in the air, good on the deck faster than most attackers and stronger than them too, but they still will rank behind Terry and Rio in the based on overall careers.

If we’re talking picking Cbs for a XI they would be up there, both players can play in any system under any manager and shine, players like Terry and Vidic Would find it harder playing in the high lines and modern style of Pep and Klopp, but the others would have no problem and still be at the same level playing under a Mourinho Benitez and managers of that ilk I feel.

Righteous Steps

Staam was an alien and I would include him in top 5 cbs in this league over some players who have had way more years, just judging on his ability alone, even with only 3 years his standard was so high you make some exceptions for him.

Varun

Staff
Had an incredible peak which was very short lived. Quality def obviously but such a short peak will always count against him when compared to the very best. Level below the likes of Terry, Vida etc who themselves were below Rio.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I actually count Southampton as part of his peak. He was incredible there, too, which was why I was so gutted when Liverpool got him.

As Cbs though I would say VVD and Silva are the most complete, good in the air, good on the deck faster than most attackers and stronger than them too, but they still will rank behind Terry and Rio in the based on overall careers.
You wouldn't class Rio as a complete CB? He had everything for me.

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
Using a players trophy haul to decide who is a better player is such a lazy way to assess players.

For example to use another Liverpool player as an example, Mo Salahs best season as a Liverpool player was when his team finished 4th, it was a historical season as a player but it didn’t lead to a league title or Cl. On the inverse the seasons he did win these trophies were worse than his first one.

More important than trophies when judging individual players is how they performed in these seasons, it’s not as simple as saying player A won more trophies so he is better than player B.

Why not look into the player, their chareterisicts, there strengths and weaknesses rather than just use the lazy argument of so and so didn’t win as much trophies as another player so said player is better.

VVD if he leaves this season would have had 5-6 stand out seasons in this league, 1-2 probably better than every other defenser hence 2nd in Ballon dor and also PFA player of the year.

5-6 seasons of top football is not a short peak, it probably sees him fall short behind Ferdinand Terry and co, but he has had as much games and top seasons as someone like Vidic without the team awards to go with it.

This is why such argument confuses me, I would actually say taking into consideration peaks, VVD Rio Staam and Thiago Silva are the best cbs overall I’ve seen in the league but that may be down to my penchant to rate ball playing Cbs over everybody else.

If we’re talking picking Cbs for a XI they would be up there, both players can play in any system under any manager and shine, players like Terry and Vidic Would find it harder playing in the high lines and modern style of Pep and Klopp, but the others would have no problem and still be at the same level playing under a Mourinho Benitez and managers of that ilk I feel.
5-6 stand out seasons, really?

Righteous Steps

5-6 stand out seasons, really?
Sorry should have said 5-6 years, he came Liverpool halfway through at the first season, 2018-19 2019-20 21-22 he played at a good level and now this season, and for half a season in 2017/18.

So about 4 seasons, actually think he was already one of the best Cbs in the league at Southampton already, certainly top 3-5 just before Liverpool got him hence the price and interest from City.

Righteous Steps

I actually count Southampton as part of his peak. He was incredible there, too, which was why I was so gutted when Liverpool got him.

You wouldn't class Rio as a complete CB? He had everything for me.
Rio is a complete CB I have him down as the best in PL history and top 5 in Europe over the last couple decades just behind Nesta , but I think Silva and VVD are better in the air.

Nesta
Rio
Silva

would be top 3 for me across Europe.

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
Sorry should have said 5-6 years, he came Liverpool halfway through at the first season, 2018-19 2019-20 21-22 he played at a good level and now this season, and for half a season in 2017/18.

So about 4 seasons, actually think he was already one of the best Cbs in the league at Southampton already, certainly top 3-5 just before Liverpool got him hence the price and interest from City.
5-6 years seems like a bit of a stretch. He didn't perform that well when he first joined Liverpool, which is expected considering he joined in january and everyone needs a bit of time to settle in, 18-19 and 19-20 were his standout seasons where he was a beast of a defender. Maybe he could've carried on at that level if he hadn't been injured by Pickford.

tomaldinho1

Had an incredible peak which was very short lived. Quality def obviously but such a short peak will always count against him when compared to the very best. Level below the likes of Terry, Vida etc who themselves were below Rio.
Yeah agreed. Not really his fault in a way but that cruciate tear was so bad I don't think he's been the same since - that habit he had of jockeying players knowing he could outrun them has gone and he started getting exposed a lot for backing off and allowing players into shooting positions. Often the fastest CBs are the ones who start to get criticized more and more for positioning as their pace/acceleration goes because that weakness has been masked when they were younger. It doesn't mean he went to shit overnight but I'd say his real peak of being truly elite was about 3 seasons max.

I think he's setting himself up for a move in summer with his comments, he's 33 this season, Klopp is off, the smart move would be looking at a move to La Liga or Serie A in my opinion for him as a last big contract.

Stadjer

He was. Other Premier League players were already calling him the best defender in the league even when he was still at Southampton. He joined Liverpool, hugely improved their defense and Liverpool reached the CL final. He kept up that very high level until Pickford kicked him out of the match and ended his 'peak'.

I think Virgil is now coming back to a high level. Maybe not that level he had before the injury but he is currently still very good.

I think that Virgil at his peak was as good as the mentioned Premier League greats in this topic.

KeanoMagicHat

Van Dijk has been as good this season as Rio was. Also Vidic > Rio. People here seem to be sleeping on how he's fairly nailed on for PFA Team of the Year this season and has been top-class.

Yeah agreed. Not really his fault in a way but that cruciate tear was so bad I don't think he's been the same since - that habit he had of jockeying players knowing he could outrun them has gone and he started getting exposed a lot for backing off and allowing players into shooting positions. Often the fastest CBs are the ones who start to get criticized more and more for positioning as their pace/acceleration goes because that weakness has been masked when they were younger. It doesn't mean he went to shit overnight but I'd say his real peak of being truly elite was about 3 seasons max.
Who are the defenders in world football that are much better than him though? He's been the best centre-back this seasonin arguably the best league in the world, what consistutes truly elite then?

JogaBonitoRooney

The whole media are already crying and wondering if Liverpool are going to be alright if Klopp, VDV, Sarah leave this year.

They will be hyping up some the last dance cringe for the rest of the reason.

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
Van Dijk has been as good this season as Rio was. Also Vidic > Rio. People here seem to be sleeping on how he's fairly nailed on for PFA Team of the Year this season and has been top-class.

Who are the defenders in world football that are much better than him though? He's been the best centre-back this seasonin arguably the best league in the world, what consistutes truly elite then?
What now?

tomaldinho1

Who are the defenders in world football that are much better than him though? He's been the best centre-back this season in arguably the best league in the world, what constitutes truly elite then?
Is he the best this season? I'd put Saliba as probably the CB I'd rate most in the league, I'd put both Bayern CBs ahead of him, Dias, I rate that Araujo at Barca, Militao although he's just done what VVD did injury wise, I was surprised how good Torres is for Villa. That's off the top of my head. Point being if you asked me a few seasons ago who the best CB in the world was, I'd have said him. VVD was better than all of those names a few years ago but he's not at that level now in my opinion. Saliba is the only one I think could get to that truly elite level of the next generation.

KeanoMagicHat

What now?
What part? Vidic was more dominant than Ferdinand and covered his weaknesses very well. At his peak, I thought Vidic was the better defender. As for Van Dijk, he's the best defender in the league this season, and is so far playing to a similar level to Ferdinand. In case you haven't noticed, Liverpool are winning the league by 5 points. have least goals conceded and have only lost once. His average rating per game on WhoScored is up with the season Liverpool won the league, a jump up of 0.4 from last season. He's picked it up again.

Is he the best this season? I'd put Saliba as probably the CB I'd rate most in the league, I'd put both Bayern CBs ahead of him, Dias, I rate that Araujo at Barca, Militao although he's just done what VVD did injury wise, I was surprised how good Torres is for Villa. That's off the top of my head. Point being if you asked me a few seasons ago who the best CB in the world was, I'd have said him. VVD was better than all of those names a few years ago but he's not at that level now in my opinion. Saliba is the only one I think could get to that truly elite level of the next generation.
The stats show that he is playing as good as his peak days this season. Liverpool have the best defence in the league. Most tackles and interceptions per game in his Liverpool career, not being dribbled past.

mu4c_20le

What part? Vidic was more dominant than Ferdinand and covered his weaknesses very well. At his peak, I thought Vidic was the better defender. As for Van Dijk, he's the best defender in the league this season, and is so far playing to a similar level to Ferdinand. In case you haven't noticed, Liverpool are winning the league by 5 points. have least goals conceded and have only lost once. His average rating per game on WhoScored is up with the season Liverpool won the league, a jump up of 0.4 from last season. He's picked it up again.
Eh, isn't that the other way around? Rio had no weaknesses. Vidic was dominant in the air but could sometimes get caught out by pacy forwards.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
This is weird since he is playing very much near or at the level of his early days at Liverpool this season.

Not necessarily aimed at you but people just like to throw fancy names out there from time to time. Araujo in his last 4 starts:
- Conceded 4 goals and got a red card
- Conceded 2 goals away vs Betis
- Conceded 4 goals away at Bilbao
- Condeded 5 goals at home vs Villareal

When Van Dijk was involved in the 7-2 loss to Villa a few years ago he was officially and unilaterally declared as past it by the Caf, and ridiculed for months on end. How good can Araujo possibly be playing if a defense (supposedly) led by him concedes 15 goals in 4 games, three of which against good but definitely not great opponents?

Also is Saliba even a better player/defender than Gabriel? I'm not even sure I'd rank him ahead of Konaté - backed by the fact that both start as regularly as each other for France, for example.

Righteous Steps

5-6 years seems like a bit of a stretch. He didn't perform that well when he first joined Liverpool, which is expected considering he joined in january and everyone needs a bit of time to settle in, 18-19 and 19-20 were his standout seasons where he was a beast of a defender. Maybe he could've carried on at that level if he hadn't been injured by Pickford.
He reached the CL final in 17-18, he was good from the start.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Van Dijk has had a world class 18 months at Liverpool, 2ish seasons where he's been average to good and then this season he's been back to very good - top class level.

Righteous Steps

Saliba hasn’t been better than Van Dijk, Saliba actually still has a big weakness in the air that VVD doesn’t have. Neither Bayern cbs should be ahead of him either have you actually watched these players extensively ? The two best CBs in Europe are currently in the PL, Saliba and VVD, Upamecano isn’t better than someone like Konate.

Righteous Steps

Van Dijk has had a world class 18 months at Liverpool, 2ish seasons where he's been average to good and then this season he's been back to very good - top class level.
It was one season really, last season the season before that is when Liverpool were competing for four trophies and went to the CL final.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

The stats show that he is playing as good as his peak days this season. Liverpool have the best defence in the league. Most tackles and interceptions per game in his Liverpool career, not being dribbled past.
Agreed.

Righteous Steps

Eh, isn't that the other way around? Rio had no weaknesses. Vidic was dominant in the air but could sometimes get caught out by pacy forwards.
A lot of people put Vidic above Rio, two excellent CBs but Rio is the best in PL for reasons you say, Rio would fit Into this modern high line that the top managers play like a glove also.

KeanoMagicHat

Ferdinand could lose concentration and wasn't as consistent. His heading and aerial presence was worse. Ferdinand also got caught out by pacey forwards as he got older. It's funny Vidic gets picked on for being roasted by Torres when Ferdinand got done the same way in another game around that time. You could put Vidic on for Stoke away and you'd be sure enough to get a clean sheet, when Vidic was missing that wasn't the same guarantee.

Ferdinand got smarter as he got older - like Van Dijk has been this season adapting to losing some pace - but back when he had a lot of pace, he could be sloppy. There was a golden period in between the two where he had pace and made good decisions from about 2007 to 2009. He was great then.

tomaldinho1

They are kind of random stats in isolation though? It's also about his role versus his partner's + having Allisson behind you when you look at being dribbled past etc. Again, I'm not saying he's bad, I just think he's lesser than he was.

@RobinLFC Not sure how posting that is relevant, Barca are in a bad moment and it's a team stat trying to prove something about an individual player. I guess you really wanted to make that VVD/Villa and Araujo point but not sure how it is relevant to what i have said? I simply think post cruciate VVD's pace has dropped off and more of his positioning issues are now evident.

Even skimming through your conceded goals this season:
  • Chelsea goal he pushes out and leaves a huge gap for their equalizer, it's bad luck but it's a bit naive given there's an overload.
  • He gets done by Bowen for the West Ham goal, let's him come across him and win a diving header of all things
  • Done by Son for Spurs equalizer
  • Poor for Haaland's goal, just watches him peel off Matip then isn't fast enough to close him down.
  • Fulham 3rd goal a bit harsh to blame him but he can challenge for the back post header, he's close enough. Maybe this one is a bit unfair.
  • Isak goal versus Newcastle just gets done for pace
Even things like giving that peno away against Palace which then was given as a foul the other way for the tackle on Endo, he's just not been at the level I believe he was seasons prior.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
They are kind of random stats in isolation though? It's also about his role versus his partner's + having Allisson behind you when you look at being dribbled past etc. Again, I'm not saying he's bad, I just think he's lesser than he was.

@RobinLFC Not sure how posting that is relevant, Barca are in a bad moment and it's a team stat trying to prove something about an individual player. I guess you really wanted to make that VVD/Villa and Araujo point but not sure how it is relevant to what i have said? I simply think post cruciate VVD's pace has dropped off and more of his positioning issues are now evident.

Even skimming through your conceded goals this season:
  • Chelsea goal he pushes out and leaves a huge gap for their equalizer, it's bad luck but it's a bit naive given there's an overload.
  • He gets done by Bowen for the West Ham goal, let's him come across him and win a diving header of all things
  • Done by Son for Spurs equalizer
  • Poor for Haaland's goal, just watches him peel off Matip then isn't fast enough to close him down.
  • Fulham 3rd goal a bit harsh to blame him but he can challenge for the back post header, he's close enough. Maybe this one is a bit unfair.
  • Isak goal versus Newcastle just gets done for pace
Even things like giving that peno away against Palace which then was given as a foul the other way for the tackle on Endo, he's just not been at the level I believe he was seasons prior.
My point is that it's impossible to grade out defenders against each other because you can't really use important stats like goals/assists for attackers. Fair enough if you think Araujo has been better, but if conceding a lot of goals was an argument against VVD a few years ago (not saying you said so), then it can be applied to Araujo this season as well.

Don't see the point of listing his involvement in goals conceded. If I wanted to I could point out something about Saliba for each goal Arsenal has conceded this season. If you look long enough at a goal you can always find something a defender could've done better.

tomaldinho1

Saliba hasn’t been better than Van Dijk, Saliba actually still has a big weakness in the air that VVD doesn’t have. Neither Bayern cbs should be ahead of him either have you actually watched these players extensively ? The two best CBs in Europe are currently in the PL, Saliba and VVD, Upamecano isn’t better than someone like Konate.
Define extensively, no I haven't watched every single minute of Pool, Bayern and Arsenal's games but I watch a lot of football. I would have both Bayern CBs above him from what I have seen this season.

I'm not sure Saliba has a 'big weakness' aerially but he's not as good as VVD aerially, that is fair. You can see comparing them what I am saying though, VVD is ranking very well for where the slower CBs tend to be elite (headers, clearances, interceptions) whereas Saliba is much better on recoveries and has better tackle success overall. I think Konate is a good player, I can see him being considered amongst the best in the league soon given his age if he stays fit, I'd personally take Upemecano over him, i feel he's better on the ball and the more 'modern' of the two though.

My point is that it's impossible to grade out defenders against each other because you can't really use important stats like goals/assists for attackers. Fair enough if you think Araujo has been better, but if conceding a lot of goals was an argument against VVD a few years ago (not saying you said so), then it can be applied to Araujo this season as well.

Don't see the point of listing his involvement in goals conceded. If I wanted to I could point out something about Saliba for each goal Arsenal has conceded this season. If you look long enough at a goal you can always find something a defender could've done better.
Agreed it's hard to compare because of systems and CB partners, who is the DM etc. I wasn't just listing conceded goals though, it was specific to him. Please do for Saliba. I have no idea if he's been at fault or not and I might be overrating him but the VVD one actually surprised me with how many he was directly at fault for. The reason I did that is I feel it's a strong confirmation of my thoughts about him dropping off pace wise and now starting to get exposed more for it.

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger

I just don't see it and i doubt many will, given the option of a peak Rio or a peak Vidic in the squad and i doubt many would opt for Vidic.They were a great duo, but Rio was main man in that back 4 and he made Vidic look better than he was. Sublime defender for years and an all round excellent defender that could carry the ball forward for us, Vidic was more of an enforcer.

Being the best defender in the league this season doesn't mean he's back to his best. Liverpool have overall tidied up their game and have a more balanced midfield than last season, which obviously helps him out a lot as Van Dijk isn't the same one man defense he used to be.

KeanoMagicHat

I just don't see it and i doubt many will, given the option of a peak Rio or a peak Vidic in the squad and i doubt many would opt for Vidic.They were a great duo, but Rio was main man in that back 4 and he made Vidic look better than he was. Sublime defender for years and an all round excellent defender that could carry the ball forward for us, Vidic was more of an enforcer.

Being the best defender in the league this season doesn't mean he's back to his best. Liverpool have overall tidied up their game and have a more balanced midfield than last season, which obviously helps him out a lot as Van Dijk isn't the same one man defense he used to be.
Well there have been threads here of Vidic v Ferdinand and it's pretty even. It was the other way around, Ferdinand was struggling to get to the next level at United until Vidic came and things changed. Not fair to call Vidic just an enforcer, you make him sound limited.

To compare, Vidic twice won Premier League Player of the Year (none for Ferdinand), twice Fifa World XI (once for Ferdinand), United's player of the year (none for Ferdinand), ESM Team of the Year x3 (Ferdinand x1).