Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tibs

No, because he's a cnut

25m+ from PSG or Monaco and he's off

Sam

Would I rather one of our players contributes 50+ goals over the coming seasons or doesn't? Gee, tough one that...
Or, you know, sell him and bring someone better, more motivated, and who actually wants to be here, in. Gee, tough one that.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Surely no one actually wants him to become the all time top goalscorer now? Surely?!
I'd love him if it helped us secure gold-a-plenty over next 2 year which included a PL and a CL.

Would be great, all forgiven; Rooney = Triple Ledge.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
But would you want him to become our all time top goalscorer? If you could choose.
Yes, records are just sentimental anyways. If he breaks the record, it would mean that he puts in good performances in present time. Hell, Luis Suarez could take over the all time scoring record at the club if it means that we have a player that puts in high-end performances over a longer periode of time, for the good of the club.

We will not treasure Sir Bobby less even if someone beats his record? The things the man has done for the club is so much more than a simple record, and even if Rooney becomes the highest scoring player at the club, doesnt mean that he somehow eclipses the legend that is Sir Bobby Charlton as a player. Rooney has shown that he doesnt love the club that we all hoped he would, and in that way it'll be a shame that he will take the record from one of the biggest legends at the club. I still would want Rooney to become our all time top scorer though, simply because I wish the club all the best. Ideally, Giggs would hold the record, but as long as we got players being able to challenge current records at the club, the club will be safe.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
fecks sake, you're posts on this thread keep getting worse
:smirk: A tad unrealistic perhaps, however i would certainly want him to have to earn his place back more than Rooney might feel appropriate.

What is 'committing to the club'? He's under contract, there is nothing for him to do unless he fancies another war of words against Ferguson at the height of his popularity.
Oh i don't know, his recent discussions with Moyes allowing the manager to respond to questions with "Yes Rooney wants to stay at Manchester United"?

The dawn of a new era and its undoubted pressures is no time for transient loyalties or levels of dedication among the players.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Or, you know, sell him and bring someone better, more motivated, and who actually wants to be here, in. Gee, tough one that.
Ever since Rooney-Gate 1, I submitted to that FACT that players are less loyal to their clubs than us fans. As I fan, I want my club to win things. Its now a zero sum equation.

No, I don't want a player more committed than Rooney who is less good. I'd take my chances and get the gold in the bank.

Varun

Staff
Rooney hasnt committed to staying. Thats for sure. Hence all the beating around the bush. Cant believe some have taken what he said at the presser and concluded he's definitely staying. Cmon.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
What is 'committing to the club'? He's under contract, there is nothing for him to do unless he fancies another war of words against Ferguson at the height of his popularity.
He, this is just the thing, isn't it? He's got two years left on his contract, he had some kind of meeting with Fergie, in which they didn't see eye to eye, after which Fergie told him to take a breather, simmer down, something of the sort.

Fergie then retired, Moyes took over and Rooney has allegedly stated (the only thing he has stated since Fergie's retirement) that he has not requested a transfer. On the basis of this some people have decided he is the biggest Judas in United's history. It doesn't make sense. He had a row with Fergie, that's all we know, really.

Now, if it turns out he's been calling the Glazers daily, demanding a transfer to Chelsea - fine, shoot the fecker. But from what Moyes said at the presser (he has talked to Rooney several times since Fergie stepped down), do we have any real reason to believe Rooney has done anything utterly horrible here? Playing a bit hard to get in order to get a bit more money, before signing an extension? Or, for that matter, thinking about his future - contemplating whether a move somewhere else is something he needs to make now or never? feck knows, but none of the above makes him much more beyond your standard, modern footballer.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Moyes avoided answering the questions about Rooney saying he wants to stay, so basically he hasn't said that.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
:smirk: A tad unrealistic perhaps, however i would certainly want him to have to earn his place back more than Rooney might feel appropriate.
Unrealistic and a tad stupid. IF Rooney stays then he has had assurances from Moyes about his role so there's no way he's going to be starting from the bench. And what exactly has Rooney done other than want to leave the club?? I think Rooney is a cnut myself, but this wasn't another 2010 and it doesn't appear to be about wages or anything like that. It's either him needing a new challenge or wanting assurances from the management about his role at the club. He's not the first big player and nor will he be the last one who's unhappy at being benched for big games.

Nogbadthebad

Surely no one actually wants him to become the all time top goalscorer now? Surely?!
Why the hell not?

If he scores enough goals to get that, we'll win things along the way.

How on earth is that bad.

There's some feckers with sand in their vaginas around here, Bestie ran away from the club when he should have been playing.

Twice.

Hes still a fecking legend.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Another thing - if Moyes wants him to stay (and he has said as much), and Rooney decides to do so, his motivation isn't really an issue, now is it? Unless you believe that he is perma-unmotivated, that is - that being unmotivated and not being arsed is just the way he is, regardless of the circumstances.

There are rational arguments for selling him in this thread - but God knows there is plenty of rationalization for sheer, personal hatred as well.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Another thing - if Moyes wants him to stay (and he has said as much), and Rooney decides to do so, his motivation isn't really an issue, now is it? Unless you believe that he is perma-unmotivated, that is - that being unmotivated and not being arsed is just the way he is, regardless of the circumstances.

There are rational arguments for selling him in this thread - but God knows there is plenty of rationalization for sheer, personal hatred as well.
Personally I wouldn't care if Rooney left tbh but if he stays, I'll want him to score as much as possible, to play as well as possible. The club has to come first and foremost and Moyes wants to keep him then so be it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Personally don't want him here next season but if moyes can help him become the player he's capable of being, then it's only good for the club. I'm just worried he'll stay and again start throwing hissy fits if things don't go his way. Then it might be too late to get a big fee for him as well.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I didn't see the press conference, what was Moyes response when they asked him "did Rooney ask for a transfer?"
He kept on repeating "Manchester United will not sell Rooney and that he is training well"

Shark

@NotShark
The club should always come first. However, is keeping a player that doesn't want to be here really what's best for the club? I think not.

Platato

Psst!
What Moyes wants from Rooney matters little if the player still wishes to leave. Hence, I would like to see a statement from Rooney that he wants to stay. Until then, I cannot believe the lad is staying. Numerous times clubs have said their player is not for sale. They sometimes over-exaggerate it yet the player is STILL sold.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Not surprised even if he did want to sell him he would not admit it Rooney would lose value. But I don't actually think we will sell him unless the rumours about Rooney wanting to leave are true we will see.

Platato

Psst!
Given that in this day and age, press and PR is as much about the truth as it is mind games and psycho babble ...

I could read it another way ... which is that Moyes position is that no matter what Rooney wants, he is under contract and not for sale, and he is delighted Rooney though seems motivated to get into top condition for start of the season
So we're willing to potentially harbor an unhappy player? Moyes said Rooney wouldn't be sold in 2004. What changes here? Your perspective could well be true. However, I just feel it hinges on how much Wayne wants to stay to be honest. We shall see though. For now, I'm not convinced until Wayne says something himself.

adamwest

Why the hell not?

If he scores enough goals to get that, we'll win things along the way.

How on earth is that bad.

There's some feckers with sand in their vaginas around here, Bestie ran away from the club when he should have been playing.

Twice.

Hes still a fecking legend.
I like your style.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
What Moyes wants from Rooney matters little if the player still wishes to leave. Hence, I would like to see a statement from Rooney that he wants to stay. Until then, I cannot believe the lad is staying. Numerous times clubs have said their player is not for sale. They sometimes over-exaggerate it yet the player is STILL sold.
That's true. And he might be sold. But the presser at least told us that Moyes doesn't want him to. He could have given 'em a standard phrase or two: "Rooney is a Manchester United player and we have no intention to sell him." He didn't, though. He answered by saying that, yes, he had indeed talked to Rooney and that he had been training well ("brilliant" was the exact word, I think) and looked in pristine shape for pre-season. Then he went on to talk about the goal scoring record, adding some comments about how long he had known the lad, etc. In short, if that was Moyes' version of "Our official policy is that he won't be sold, but in reality we have grown weary of the cnut and will take offers", then he is a greater actor than Fergie ever was.

If he goes, then, it will be because he wants to - or, possibly, because he's about to make some unreasonable demands concerning a contract extension.

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
My biggest issue with Wazza is his lack of motivation, which is quite worrying, and is one of the biggest reasons why Ronaldo was better. One strives for perfection and loves the game, but the impression Rooney gives me is that he can't wait to retire and step away from the footballing world. He hates the spotlight, and he doesn't seem very motivated with his own training and fitness. If he wants to stay, not only does he need to make more noises about loving the club and his commitment, but he really needs to change his mentality back to the angry, aggressive, hungry 18 year old that we broke the British transfer record for.

Or maybe he'll prove us wrong and Vidic was telling the truth after all, he might actually be in amazing shape and will want to prove himself to the fans under a new coach.

JaffyJoe

Anyone comparing this situation to 2004 cannot be serious. He was manager of Everton!! A club Rooney was too good to play for at 18 and he was sold for a world record fee for a teenager to the biggest club in the country, anyone saying well he said it then so he may be lying now is off the mark that situation has no precedence of this one.

kps88

Point still stands that no sane manager would openly say their star player was for sale.

JaffyJoe

My biggest issue with Wazza is his lack of motivation, which is quite worrying, and is one of the biggest reasons why Ronaldo was better. One strives for perfection and loves the game, but the impression Rooney gives me is that he can't wait to retire and step away from the footballing world. He hates the spotlight, and he doesn't seem very motivated with his own training and fitness. If he wants to stay, not only does he need to make more noises about loving the club and his commitment, but he really needs to change his mentality back to the angry, aggressive, hungry 18 year old that we broke the British transfer record for.

Or maybe he'll prove us wrong and Vidic was telling the truth after all, he might actually be in amazing shape and will want to prove himself to the fans under a new coach.
Does he really lack motivation? What makes you say that I think he is more disillusioned than lacking in motivation. You don't get to Rooney's level without being motivated also you see the hunger in his game how many players with that much of an offence live load drop back and work as hard as he does? Do you think Messi, Ronaldo, Van Persie etc would play in midfield? Messi demanded his false 9 spot and Mourinho said Ronaldo things he knows it all Rooney complaining is the norm for big players at clubs. Rooney is happy to do what it takes to help the team and play in what ever role he has been asked to his whole career saying he lacks motivation is off the mark for me.

He doesn't need to make noises players make noises all the time, we will see what he is about on the pitch the only place it really counts. Moyes has said he is training brilliantly lets take that and run with it. We should see a fityer, sharper Rooney this season.

JaffyJoe

Point still stands that no sane manager would openly say their star player was for sale.
I agree that point stands, but people talking about 2004 are off the mark that shuould not figure in this discussion.

Shark

@NotShark
Are the people bringing up a statement from Moyes in 2004 actually serious? jesus christ.

Platato

Psst!
That's true. And he might be sold. But the presser at least told us that Moyes doesn't want him to. He could have given 'em a standard phrase or two: "Rooney is a Manchester United player and we have no intention to sell him." He didn't, though. He answered by saying that, yes, he had indeed talked to Rooney and that he had been training well ("brilliant" was the exact word, I think) and looked in pristine shape for pre-season. Then he went on to talk about the goal scoring record, adding some comments about how long he had known the lad, etc. In short, if that was Moyes' version of "Our official policy is that he won't be sold, but in reality we have grown weary of the cnut and will take offers", then he is a greater actor than Fergie ever was.

If he goes, then, it will be because he wants to - or, possibly, because he's about to make some unreasonable demands concerning a contract extension.
Practically, what Moyes has done is put Rooney's team in a corner assuming that Wayne Rooney wants to leave. The only one who will look bad is Rooney because him wanting to leave says, "I wish to longer continue my time at Manchester United. Topping Bobby Charlton's record isn't enough for me to stay blah blah blah".

I agree with the acting part. Masterclass already?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
To be fair, he looks in good shape in that picture in the previous page.

My current view on this Rooney saga: I hope he stays. If he still wants to leave, I hope he changes his mind during the next couple of months. If he's still not happy by the end of the window, then I'd say let someone panic and pay big money for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.